Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

PlayStation 4 Will Struggle Against XBOX One

with the console market giving awy to ios devices it will be who can provide the best overall experience in the living room.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/470071/20130522/playstation-4-struggle-against-xbox-one-analysis.htm

Microsoft and Sony both have very different machines ready for the next console war, but who will win out in the end?
    The Xbox One which Microsoft launched this week, will go head-to-head with Sony's PlayStation 4 later this year. (Credit: Reuters)

Share article

With the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One now officially announced, we're looking at a fresh console race between two very different machines. On paper, they're almost identical. They both have 8GB of RAM, Blu-ray drives, x86 architecture and chips by AMD. But in spirit, they're total opposites.
    Microsoft has video features, a slick interface and an all-in-one mentality; it's gunning for a broad church of consumers. The PS4 on the other hand is all about the games. If you recall February's launch event, we saw one developer after another talking about what new things the console would allow them to do. It seems, right now at least, that the PS4 is a much more streamlined proposition.
    "Microsoft is approaching this from the very top of Microsoft, from the balance sheet," says Enders analyst Heloise Thomson. "They're saying to themselves 'Xbox is going to be one of our core products at this point and we really need to think about how we're going to maximise revenue across the board, long-term.' They're going to tie in all the other products they give people: Everywhere, Microsoft.

• FOLLOW IBTIMES

Thompson believe the Xbox One could help prop up other products within the company: "PC sales are down; the Windows smartphone doesn't have much market share. I think they're gunning for the Xbox to be a major product so they can start pushing their brand into a lot of new revenue streams. They're just not winning the smartphone battle. PCs aren't a growing division anymore. It makes sense for them to ask 'where's the next frontier?'"
    Living-room
    But that comes with its own dangers. The Xbox brand is built around big games and big exclusives, so by heading towards a bigger demographic, Microsoft risks alienating its core consumers.
    "It's definitely a different proposition," Thomson continues. "For gamers, though, I feel like it was a big let-down. A lot of the press around it were gamers and I think Sony understood that - the people who are going to be first out the gate are going to be thinking what are doing for me as a gamer?
    "A lot of that processor is going to be dedicated to running services in the background which is going to be a problem for developers who really want to maximise the box's potential for gaming. It means it has actually got less potential for gaming, I would say."
    Yusuf Mehdi, senior vice president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, discusses the Xbox One uses for television viewing. (Credit: Reuters)

Fireplace
    The drive towards the living-room is not exactly straightforward either. Back in the 1950s, the television was king; as Dean Donaldson put it in The Evolution of TV Viewing, it was like a fireplace or a hearth, something the whole family congregated around to be entertained. But that's not the way anymore. Those downward PC sales Thomson mentions are due in part to a rise in tablets, smartphones and laptops, personal devices which each family member uses in their own bedroom.
    The hallowed ground of the Waltons' living-room is something of a myth; aside from in ad campaigns for all-in-one boxes like the Xbox, it doesn't really exist anymore.
    "Is there potential for people to buy the box just for TV services?," asks Thomson. "The people who buy the next console, surely, will be fished from the pool of existing gamers. People already have boxes under their televisions. All Microsoft is doing is piping it in through their machine.
    "That seems like a marketing dream. You have mum, dad, the little boy and the little girl all sat in the living-room playing Xbox together, which no-one does. No-one Skypes grandma."
    Converts
    Selling people a TV box and then hoping they'll take up gaming is wishful thinking, too. The Wii managed to smuggle itself into the living room, but it's not as if everyone who played it then graduated to hardcore PS3 or 360 games. The "for everyone" machines like the iPad pride themselves on brief, simplistic and casual games that users can pick up and put down again; the Xbox One might get bought by users looking for a TV box, but Thomson warns it's unlikely to convert many people to gaming:
    "The ultimate fantasy of both manufacturers is to turn non-gamers into gamers, but that's very wishful thinking. It's not like people haven't already been exposed to the types of games you might play on these consoles. A lot of people have grown up playing games on their PC, but haven't graduated to consoles as they get older because it just doesn't interest.
    Andrew House, president and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, speaks during the unveiling of the PlayStation 4. (Credit: Reuters)

"People are not going to upgrade en masse if you capture them with TV. It's the same notion that if people go to HMV and walk past the gaming aisle on the way to the DVDs they're going to pick up a game, and it's nonsense. People just don't care."
    Sell-through
    But where the marketing message might be a bit broad, the vision a bit hopeful, what the Xbox One has over the PS4 is sell-through quality. Both consoles will ship before the end of this year and with their equal specs, will likely both do well over Christmas. But the Xbox One will continue to produce revenue; with its array of on-demand video, easily accessible marketplace and consolidation of services, Microsoft has the infrastructure to draw money from owners for years, whereas Sony, for now it seems, is more a one-buy game machine.
    With its more game centred approach, the PS4 is likely to be cheaper, but Thomson warns that could be dangerous:
    "It's not good for Sony if they have to price down; they're already in a situation where they're not going to be selling as much content. Microsoft has already put itself into a position where it can make money off downloads by having this diverse marketplace. They're the middle men; they're the vendor. They're centralising the marketplace. I don't think Sony is going to be doing that.
    "People are going to buy one box this generation and you're going to want to still make money off them once they've got the hardware. Microsoft is going to have you tied in to buy other stuff from them. Sony's going to be thinking 'what shall we do for the next ten years?'
    Only time will tell, but it seems now that rather than pitching itself against Sony, Microsoft is chasing down Apple TV and smart TVs for control of the living-room. This isn't so much a fight between two game consoles. We have one machine offering games and another offering TV and then games on the side.
    The PS4 has a more limited and possible short-term market, but the Xbox One has broader, perhaps too broad outlook that could alienate its core consumers. We'll know more after E3 when a bigger software line-up and more hardware specs are revealed by both manufacturers.
    Last edited by TwentyThree; 05-23-2013 at 22:35.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

2. Dislikes AaronSOLDIER is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

I don't think the Ps4 will struggle at all. Every post I see are about how microsoft has screwed up and how sony will win next generation. This is unlikely.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The ps4 has better tools than xbone

The ps4 is stronger than the xbone

The ps3 constantly outsells the 360 YOY at a higher price. So the brand is still strong.

3rd party support will be there along with Sony's 1st party titles

It'll provide more than just gaming but gaming is its main focus

The ps4 won't launch a year after the xbone...

I predict that they won't struggle.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

7. Likes MonkeyClaw, $Greatness$ wishes they had posted this first.

PSN ID
    mishdon
    I think they are both going to do well. The only problem for me is finding the cash to buy both.....

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Sony did OK in the end this gen with so many fuck ups and Xbox360 doing the biz. If Sony avoid too many fuck ups, I don't see them struggling.

I dont' feel either will DOMINATE

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    The ps4 has better tools than xbone The ps4 is stronger than the xbone The ps3 constantly outsells the 360 YOY at a higher price. So the brand is still strong. 3rd party support will be there along with Sony's 1st party titles It'll provide more than just gaming but gaming is its main focus The ps4 won't launch a year after the xbone... I predict that they won't struggle.
    This.^^ Nothing more needs to be said.

PSU Live Streamer
    Seeing as how xbox news gets worse by the day.....I'm having a difficult time believing sony will struggle. Anyone see this madness yet?

Your Kinect Will Count The Number Of People In The Room So It Can Charge You A Per-Person Rate

You already knew your Kinect was watching you, but perhaps not like this. A U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filing by Microsoft reveals that the company is devising a means for your Xbox peripheral to count the number of people in the room and even identify who they are in order to assess licensing fees for content based on the number of people in the room.
    In other words, the days of ordering the Mayweather fight and having 40 of your friends over to defray the cost may soon be a memory. The idea here is to create a system that can charge the user on a pay-per-view basis, but not in the same way you're used to. In this patent filing, Microsoft is talking about pay-per-viewer, or collecting fees based on the number of individuals consuming the content. Kinect figures out if it’s just you in the room, or if you have a dozen friends huddled around, soaking up your precious content. It could even use facial recognition to determine the approximate ages of those people present and halt playback of mature material if there isn’t an adult present.
    Your Xbox could then automatically collect fees for the number of people watching, or it could refuse to play the content until you top up your Microsoft Points account with an adequate sum--or until you kick all your friends out.
    source: http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...harge-you-body

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    Seems a little premature to be proclaming that either one of the two unreleased consoles will struggle more than the other.

On the other hand, I'm totally calling Microsoft's console the Xbone ("X-bone") from now on.

Shut up and play games

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style
    If the xBox One had backwards compatibility it would make it a hard choice for 360 owners to choose a new generation console, especially that all the Live functions and subscriptions carry over. But they are now starting afresh so there is nothing stopping their user base to jump ship.

At the end of the day, the world wants to play COD with their mates. The console that can provide the best experience for this, "wins".

PSN ID: clear_as_night
    "XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Things are looking really bad for Sony

http://www.gamespot.com/twitter-battle/xbox-vs-ps4/
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    You really are trying too hard Sith...
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

16. Likes The Boy From School, Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I think they both will get off to a slow start and then the sales will pick up later.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Things are looking really bad for Sony

http://www.gamespot.com/twitter-battle/xbox-vs-ps4/
    Sony's world.

I'm conflicted though. Cuguy insist that the internet is read by every gamer but then I'm told that these internet results mean nothing by Substance. I'm so confused

Edit2: lol fuck it. Not worth the time, sub.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 05-23-2013 at 23:49.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Sony's world.

I'm conflicted though. Cuguy insist that the internet is read by every gamer but then I'm told that these internet results mean nothing by Substance. I'm so confused
    That's because you're not real.

Veteran
    Lol I'm not saying PS4 has got this made but I honestly don't see how could Sony struggle against Xbox One because of their TV/media oriented console, sure it's nice to have plenty of daily use features on a console but in the end a console is for gaming, so why on Earth would I possibly want to have my console be able to stream Live TV if I've already got a TV otherwise I wouldn't be playing a console lol, and just using my TV would save me more energy cause I could have my console off and TV on only. And this entertainment hub mentality of theirs is one of the things even their fans are hating and making them lean towards the PS4. Plenty of polls out there, proving so.

Ultimate Veteran
    Well, I'm struggling not to laugh.

edit: nope wait.. yeap I laughed. D'awww

Superior Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    PlayStation 4 Will Struggle Against XBOX One
    with the console market giving awy to ios devices it will be who can provide the best overall experience in the living room.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/470071/20130522/playstation-4-struggle-against-xbox-one-analysis.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post

The ps4 has better tools than xbone

The ps4 is stronger than the xbone

The ps3 constantly outsells the 360 YOY at a higher price. So the brand is still strong.

3rd party support will be there along with Sony's 1st party titles

It'll provide more than just gaming but gaming is its main focus

The ps4 won't launch a year after the xbone...

I predict that they won't struggle.
    It's all part of the Kazification.

Last edited by victorijapoosp; 05-24-2013 at 00:35.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    With the way SONY is preforming, Xbox is going to be DOA SONY won't give them an ounce of slack or traction for a decent launch, they might even hire a boat!

As for the OP, it was a good run for Microsoft, in 6 years they can try again maybe, provided Ballmer doesn't kill Microsoft by then.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Master Guru
    Nothing can stop Sony's return to the top of the mountain with the PS4.

26. Likes jphuff wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    It depends on:

PS4's price
    Xbox One's first party's exclusives
    Xbox One's Hardware problems
    Which Console gets the best third party support

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Xbox first party will be the same old hat, MS isn't interested in investing that way.

NothingCsnStopThisTrain.gif

PS4 has little to no competition.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Lol I'm not saying PS4 has got this made but I honestly don't see how could Sony struggle against Xbox One because of their TV/media oriented console, sure it's nice to have plenty of daily use features on a console but in the end a console is for gaming, so why on Earth would I possibly want to have my console be able to stream Live TV if I've already got a TV otherwise I wouldn't be playing a console lol, and just using my TV would save me more energy cause I could have my console off and TV on only. And this entertainment hub mentality of theirs is one of the things even their fans are hating and making them lean towards the PS4. Plenty of polls out there, proving so.
    I tend to agree with this. As for MS selling more media through it's device..?? How? Sony even OWNS a movie studio. Have you seen how many movies/music/etc. you can rent or purchase thru your PS3 right now? There's quite a bit. I've even done a little of it, just to see how it works. However, I prefer to consume that media thru my TV or the Apple TV so far. The new Xbox is just a pass thru device. I'm a bit concerned on how it's DVR feature will work with all the different cable boxes out there. Since the Xbox itself won't be doing the DVR and other TV functions, it will depend upon compatibility with your cable box. There are so many, especially if you're talking worldwide that I don't see how this will work even close to seamlessly. I'll wait and see though...I could be way off base. I just think with what's known now that these new cool features (and they ARE cool) will have limited utility globally.

Maybe MS is ok with just owning the US market though, who knows. I don't see a lot of people who currently own gaming consoles clamoring for the ability to watch TV without switching their entertainment setup from the Xbox or PS3 to the TV system though. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I see these features as definitely cool and interesting, but not something I'd probably even use or expect many people at all to use on anything approaching a regular basis. The fee thing for using games on other accounts has been a long time coming; won't surprise me if Sony does something similar. After all, companies exist to make money. Can't blame them for that.

MS has had the lead in this current generation with their online service. Cross game chat, match making, etc. Hopefully Sony will make up that ground but for me personally, I didn't mind the way it all worked with the PS3. If they CAN provide online service and interactivity like MS I believe that that, coupled with their definite hardware superiority they'll have in this next generation, will make the PS4 dominate over the Xbox One.

I believe Microsoft is trying to position themselves more against Apple and other TV set top box manufacturers to offset the gaming lead Sony enjoys due to their vast superiority in how many platform exclusive games and 1st party developers Sony has. Microsoft got rid of most of their first party development groups over the past few years. I believe this is because it was too expensive for them and that they already knew they were going to shift strategy into making an "all in one" family entertainment type of box like they're positioning the Xbox One to be. They hope that their move into making the Xbox an overlay for your cable box and adding some smartphone type capability to the platform will outweigh Sony's more intense focus on gaming and gamers and that they can get the sales of video media to somehow make up for the money they will lose to Sony due to all the exclusive games Sony will have. It's definitely an interesting strategy and I'm very curious to see how it will work out for them. Will having smartphone capabilities for all the millions of Madden fans really make enough of a difference for them? Enough to outweigh the performance and graphical advantages that a PS4 version of Madden COULD have over the Xbox version if EA really goes for making a version that takes advantage of the PS4's extra power? It will be interesting to see. Very different directions between MS and Sony at this point. At least it seems to be- We still don't know much of anything about the PS4's actual system and any other features it may have that are not strictly game related. I doubt it, but it's possible that Sony will reveal similar functions and abilities for the PS4 at E3. I doubt it, but it could happen. That would REALLY throw a wrench in the works and be interesting!

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Thread Information