Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran

Geoff Keighley is claiming Sony is implementing DRM like MS

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-epi...ess-conference

Might be time for Sony to just set the record straight before the Microsoft-sympathetic Viacom/CBS/Yahoo media machine lands successful crits with the "I'll take you with me" tactic.

Edit: 17:50 is where Dorito King mentions Sony being pulled into this.
    Last edited by Lefein; 05-26-2013 at 23:55.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I'm fine with having to keep the disc in but anything else, $#@! no. I will not buy it if they go thru with that same $#@! that MS is doing.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 05-27-2013 at 00:01.

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Elite Sage
    A confirmed GAF source:famousmortimer

I actually did caution that it was coming about a week ago. Because as of a week ago it was.

I just heard on friday that it wasn't. I didn't want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention and I don't care about myself but Im not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But i've confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.

Chubigans can vouch for me though on having been correct on other sony leaks in the past.

And chubigans should probably PM me again telling me to be quiet.
    It absolutely does. Whenever i've been told about $#@!ty things possibly happening both of the people I know at sony, who are hardcore gamers just like us, both say "make a big stink about this to yoshida (@yosp) on twitter.

I mean these guys are human, you can't keep hearing negative things and think that it's a good idea. Like I said before, I don't know anyone inside MS but basic human nature tells me that they are not happy about the reaction and will change their positions accordingly.

This week was a PR nightmare for MS. There's no two ways about it. That doesn't mean they already lost next gen. It doesn't mean that third parties are jumping ship. It's nothing crazy like fanboy delusions. But a bad PR week for any company makes that company sit down and ask themselves "How can we turn this around?" If MS or Sony think that pissing off a lot of people will cost them more money than whatever unpopular thing they want to implement would make... they will 86 that $#@!. It's all about dollars.

Sony also is in a tactically advantageous position right now where they aren't talking about it and they won't talk about it until they have to. And this is only amplified by the fact that they go second at E3.

I do want to warn that these decisions do flipflop (as evidenced by what i posted earlier this week vs now). I'm not 100% on this. The people I know aren't 100% on this. Some suit can come in and $#@! the entire thing up. So I wouldn't go running around screaming "HAHA SONY ISN'T DOING IT!" I just wanted people to know that as of now Sony has flipped their position in response to the $#@!storm microsoft got hit with.

So don't let the "just be quiet until E3" people sway you. If you don't like something, say something. Twitter is amazing for being able to talk to people in these corporations. YOSP will even respond if it's about something he can talk about (he is currently not responding to ANY questions about Used game... but you can bet your ass he is reading them).

Be respectful and tell them how you feel. I would assume this is true of MS also. And it actually works. They want our money and if they start to get scared that they won't they WILL change things.
    Gaf

Ultimate Veteran
    from what i read and understand ms used games must enter there data base to be sold. this will hurt ebay sellers.
    if sony does it the same way selling only used games though stores iam kinda ok with it but if it gets worst then i wont buy any console and retire from gameing..

IAM SURE SONY AND MS have had talks about this behinde closed doors

6. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Keighley
    Sony I think you know is shorta been seen as this kinda white knight so far that's not going to restrict user games. Based on some the the things I'm hearing I don't think that's entirely true because I can't see publishers allowing one system doing one thing or the other.
    It doesn't sound like it is from any type of inside source, rather he is basing what he thinks on the same stuff we are hearing and because in his words he "can't see publishers allowing one system doing one thing or the other".

We also have Sony stating you don't need a internet connection at all, which at least hints that if there is a DRM in placed it is as an option to publishers.

Elite Sage
    We seen what being silent for years get you.

Great to know that gamers voices are heard when they complain to Sony according to the insider.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 05-27-2013 at 00:29.

PSU Live Streamer
    Starting to sound like a broken record here, but I'll say it again. We need E3 and we need it fast. MS is taking all the heat right now, and that might be what we need. It is highly likely that some of the features we are bashing MS about currently are things Sony also had in place and just hasn't discussed yet. If sony is sitting back and watching what just happened, then at least they have time to make adjustments if possible.

I firmly believe if a publisher is going to get used game fees from one console, then it would have to happen on all they distribute to. Simply wouldn't make sense for the same game to have two different rule sets based on it's environment. I think that we need to prepare ourselves for the possible reality that used game fees and maybe even internet 24hr checks could be in Sony's future as well.

Ultimate Veteran
    We need to hit up the official Playstation forums and the twitter accounts and be sure that we are heard. The quicker Sony either comes to a decision or publicly iterates their stance on this subject, the better it will be for us as gamers and them as a company.

Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, staying silent on the matter of consumer rights and DRM will get us nowhere.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post

Might be time for Sony to just set the record straight before the Microsoft-sympathetic Viacom/CBS/Yahoo media machine lands successful crits with the "I'll take you with me" tactic.

just rumors. nothing to get worried about. we will find out soon. next gen is gonna be a brave new world...

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    One would think that Sony has no say when it comes to 3rd party publishers, so if Microsoft is going to do some kind of DRM, Sony has little choice to follow suite.

However when it comes to 1st party games Sony may hold off on strict restrictions & instead use some sort of online pass which they have been using on the PS3.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    It doesn't sound like it is from any type of inside source, rather he is basing what he thinks on the same stuff we are hearing and because in his words he "can't see publishers allowing one system doing one thing or the other". We also have Sony stating you don't need a internet connection at all, which at least hints that if there is a DRM in placed it is as an option to publishers.
    Yeah by the words you quoted it sounds like hes just telling us what he thinks will happen. That being said we do need to make our voices heard on this.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post

Doritos Pope has always favoured the 'merica box and Micro$oft. nothing new there. He's the epitome of fawning journalist shills. Companies know he will toe the line as long as he get paid and the website he works for get their ad revenue, therefore they keep him close. Here he looks like he is just giving an opinion, but its not a direct source with in Sony.

Maybe He's right and sony will charge for second hand games. Hope they dont, or they will miss the Open Goal that is EL XBONE JUAN.

EDIT: Andrea Renee DAAAYYUUUUUUM
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 05-27-2013 at 00:55.
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Sony can shove it if they do the same $#@!, will definitely go PC 90%, Wii U 10% from now on if they do it.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Just remember to take anything from Keighly and Gametrailers with a big ol pinch of salt when it concerns dem console warz.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    One would think that Sony has no say when it comes to 3rd party publishers, so if Microsoft is going to do some kind of DRM, Sony has little choice to follow suite.

However when it comes to 1st party games Sony may hold off on strict restrictions & instead use some sort of online pass which they have been using on the PS3.
    Err what. Of course Sony has a say they're the platform holder. MS isn't just doing it because they were pressured by third party, they're doing it because they can smell the money.

If Sony say $#@! no to DRM what do you think the big bad third parties are gonna do? Blow the PS4 off? No chance. They're going to do what they always have and always will do, follow the customers

17. Likes Thorzilla, Lefein, victorijapoosp likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Just remember to take anything from Keighly and Gametrailers with a big ol pinch of salt when it concerns dem console warz. Err what. Of course Sony has a say they're the platform holder. MS isn't just doing it because they were pressured by third party, they're doing it because they can smell the money. If Sony say $#@! no to DRM what do you think the big bad third parties are gonna do? Blow the PS4 off? No chance. They're going to do what they always have and always will do, follow the customers
    +rep

Ultimate Veteran
    Originally Posted by famousmortimer:
    Here's the entire list of sony folks I know of that either are in on the decisions or have the ears of people who are in on the decisions that are on twitter.

My biggest piece of advice is be respectful. They aren't likely to finish a tweet in all caps threatening them.

Shuhei Yoshida (president of worldwide studios) @yosp (easily the highest level person on twitter and quite accessible)

John Koller (head of hardware marketing) @jpkoller (dude has like 150 followers - heh)

Guy Longworth (senior vice president PlayStation Brand Marketing) @luckylongworth

Scott Rohde (PlayStation Software Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America) @rohdescott

Also couldn't hurt to let the ex-journos that work there like @nsuttner and @shanewatch

Courtesy of PopCornMegaphone of GAF.

Forum Sage
    Its may be that third party publishers are tired of losing money on used games. Every used game sold the seller keeps 100% of the profits and dont have share a penny with Sony or MS. Consumers buy more used games than new so what do folks expect them to do.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Its may be that third party publishers are tired of losing money on used games. Every used game sold the seller keeps 100% of the profits and dont have share a penny with Sony or MS. Consumers buy more used games than new so what do folks expect them to do.
    its not revenue lost though is it? if i have an old music album or old movie dvd i want to sell, i can. It would be ridiculous for music studios and movie studios to bleat about "lost revenue". Buying and Selling Used/secondhand games is not akin to Piracy no matter how hard game's publishers try to insinuate the case.

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

22. Likes John25 likes this post
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Watched the Gametrailers Xbox One reveal impressions a few days ago. I was in stitches. It honestly looked like a bunch of children who had received a horrible present on Christmas morning. They tried hard to stay positive...but their facial expressions and mannerisms weren't having it.

If they don't want used game sales or to lessen them, perhaps they should reasonably price their software from the get go, or lower it quickly after release to match used game prices. Simple.
    Last edited by unicron7; 05-27-2013 at 01:33.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Forum Sage
    This is wfy the movie and music industry is trying to move away from disc and go 100% streaming. The game industry revenues is at its lowest in ever.

Elite Sage
    smh

What's to say that these used game buyers are going to purchase the same game new?

stop with the excuses

26. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    This is wfy the movie and music industry is trying to move away from disc and go 100% streaming. The game industry revenues is at its lowest in ever.
    any empirical data? or sauces?

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Forum Sage
    @two4damoney. There are new games sold but publishers only get a profit off each copy sold. The same game may be traded into gamestop several times and sold by them at a ridiculous price.
    Publishers profits x one
    Gamestop profits x ten or more.

Working in retail several years with buyers. Game software has the highest gross profit margin than consoles.

Forum Overseer

Oh God, oh man, oh God, oh man OH GOD OH MAN OH GOD OH MAN!

Thread Information