Latest PSU headlines:

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

"Gold jacket, Green jacket - who gives a sh*t?"

It's been about less than a week since this new round of "t3h cons0l3 wARZ" started - and I'm already sick of it. Once, when I was a youngin', in my early teens, I may have been a more willing participant.

To lay a little bit of a gaming background; I started (properly) playing games on the PC (Civ 1) and the NES (Tank Battles ftw!!!). As I grew older, my main gaming platforms have been the PlayStation consoles. SO naturally, I gravitate and cannot rally move away from the first party Sony franchises. This would often get me into trouble in my early forum years (here mainly - never got the compulsion to join a TeamXbox or XBoxForums and troll - and when I did, it would be when I would get an Xbox, but not to troll/fight/etc). However, after growing up (somewhat ), and getting a job and getting ready for proper adulthood (house, family etc) I've become less prone to participating to the one-upsmanship of the gaming (or anything Nerd-like really) community.

TLDR - to my current state, all I really care for now is being entertained. TBH, I think that's what we all care about - being video game fans. But sometimes, can let the ego part - the part where we need to justify being 100% right about our purchases, choice of product, - getting the best of us. This often ( I would dare say nearly 100% of the time) leads to people trying to convince themselves - and others - that what they choose, or rather, what there preferred company, is the only choice; leading to arguments we have literally had for (console) generations.

I just love games. And to bring it 'round to the upcoming consoles - while I will most likely get a PS4 day one; I will not be doing so for the Xbox One. This is not to say that this choice (or millions of others' choices) demeans the product they do not choose to get. It really just means they are making the decision what they believe is best for them - whatever it may be.

Guess what guys? Uncharted being an excellent game, doesn't take away from Halo being an excellent game!!! /shock horror!

Yes - I understand the need for forums with regards to discussions, and I also have no doubts or illusions that those who are still insecure, not strong enough to admit certain flaws of the products they buy, will continue to fling mud, have list wars; and generally continue to tear each other apart. This is not about agreeing (100%) with each other - we can still have logical debates, but imo, having debates as to whether which console (product) is better for you (thus better for everyone - apparently) is ultimately pointless.

Want to have a debate about which racing game made a Porsche 911 drive better/faster/look better etc? Then yeah, by all means – do so. Just don't act like a salesman for the company of your choice (or waste your life and continue to do so).

I'm done with the arguments. I'll see you guys to what (I think) forums should be about - and that's enjoying games and machines together ; laughing/crying at vids we'll see of people playing next-gen (and current) games, talking about games we're all excited about.

I'm sure I've waffled long enough - sentences disjointed/not making sense (sorry ).

Peace.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I have nothing to prove. I find the usual banter/threads/comparisons amusing but I don't really care. I'm actually more aligned with CCP than the console makers now because I have found my gaming nirvana in their games.

People just need to remember that there is no best console, only a console that better suits your individual tastes...and your tastes may not be those of the next guy...so the console you find the best isn't the best for your neighbour. So...people need to let it go and not take it so personally, nor should they be so personally involved, nor should they MAKE it personal in discussions...

I would love a PSU where people don't need to be insecure about their preference. I'd love that and I think it's possible, but as a community we have to make a shared decision to move on from that old mentality...and this will be one of my missions here! I'm tired of seeing the divisions that are caused by this...I'm tired of seeing the underlying feelings of contention and malice that some posters exhibit...we shouldn't have animosity here against each other here at PSU. We have one of the coolest, close-knit communities around and this insecurity and mud slinging ruins it.

It's cool to discuss the pros and cons of the systems, to praise and to criticise...so long as people remember that at the end of the day it's entirely personal and subjective.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

3. Likes sainraja , Admartian wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Gold jacket? Wouldnt Playstation be a blue jacket? In the winter I wear a down jacket. lol

5. Likes Admartian wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Gold jacket? Wouldnt Playstation be a blue jacket? In the winter I wear a down jacket. lol
    Blame Adam Sandler.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I have nothing to prove. I find the usual banter/threads/comparisons amusing but I don't really care. I'm actually more aligned with CCP than the console makers now because I have found my gaming nirvana in their games.

People just need to remember that there is no best console, only a console that better suits your individual tastes...and your tastes may not be those of the next guy...so the console you find the best isn't the best for your neighbour. So...people need to let it go and not take it so personally, nor should they be so personally involved, nor should they MAKE it personal in discussions...

I would love a PSU where people don't need to be insecure about their preference. I'd love that and I think it's possible, but as a community we have to make a shared decision to move on from that old mentality...and this will be one of my missions here! I'm tired of seeing the divisions that are caused by this...I'm tired of seeing the underlying feelings of contention and malice that some posters exhibit...we shouldn't have animosity here against each other here at PSU. We have one of the coolest, close-knit communities around and this insecurity and mud slinging ruins it.

It's cool to discuss the pros and cons of the systems, to praise and to criticise...so long as people remember that at the end of the day it's entirely personal and subjective.
    I completely agree.

We should be able to discuss pros and cos - without it degrading to a list war and wannabe-smart one-liners. We should be able to concede certain things we wished we had/or hated about our console(s) - without being laughed at or anything negative.

EDIT:
    I can't rep you cool mofos so accept this instead:
    Last edited by Admartian; 05-27-2013 at 09:00.

7. Likes Ghost wishes they had posted this first.
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Thing is, some of these subjects can affect gaming as a whole. DRM, online requirements, always-on-cameras, etc. If a console does those things and becomes successful, then gamers will have to deal with that stuff from now on.

So this isn't just about which console is more powerful and which games are better.

I'm actually more aligned with CCP
    And PSU allowed you to review their game?

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Blame Adam Sandler.

I completely agree.

We should be able to discuss pros and cos - without it degrading to a list war and wannabe-smart one-liners. We should be able to concede certain things we wished we had/or hated about our console(s) - without being laughed at or anything negative.
    I know it's possible for this community to discuss matters in a civil manner, but everyone has to be in on it, everyone has to put that "mine is better and perfect and without flaw" and get rid of the snarky tones in those heated debates.

The whole mentality is as retarded. It's like women...yours may be tall, blonde and leggy, mine might be a petite, short brunette...different strokes for different blokes but everyone's getting some...so what the fuck is all the shit about?

I'm not gonna let this go until this spirit is removed from PSU. The more people who switch to this mentality the better.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Thing is, some of these subjects can affect gaming as a whole. DRM, online requirements, always-on-cameras, etc. If a console does those things and becomes successful, then gamers will have to deal with that stuff from now on.

So this isn't just about which console is more powerful and which games are better.

After reading most of the misinformation, lies and flatout cluelessness in a large number of the other reviews...it is clear why someone with a years experience with the game was the only person who could do the review justice. Asi I said in the DUST forums, anyone who regrets getting the game after reading my review is more than welcome to a full refund of the purchase price.

I guess aligned wasn't the best choice of words. I just caremore about what they are doing software wise than what anyone is doing hardware wise.

Anyways, that's not the subject...bannishing the badblood is.
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-27-2013 at 09:18.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian

I agree - but we should be able to conduct this without a tone of "superiority/inferiority".

Really though - whether they're standard or not - is moot in how we approach these things.

I know it's possible for this community to discuss matters in a civil manner, but everyone has to be in on it, everyone has to put that "mine is better and perfect and without flaw" and get rid of the snarky tones in those heated debates.

The whole mentality is as retarded. It's like women...yours may be tall, blonde and leggy, mine might be a petite, short brunette...different strokes for different blokes but everyone's getting some...so what the fuck is all the shit about?

I'm not gonna let this go until this spirit is removed from PSU. The more people who switch to this mentality the better.
    Absolutely.

Look; I'm probably the first guy that's all for "taking the opportunity to be funny" comment/moment if it's there. But more than just the attempt at laughing at something or trying to be funny; there shouldn't be any other connotation to that.

Superior Member

Well loading up the Microsoft section with almost nothing but negative bitch-fest threads isn't helping. People are clearly dog piling by mainly looking for negative ONLY articles and quotes. If 10 different devs had complaints about the Xbox One, people will make sure there are 10 separate threads to load up the section with them.

It's very clever stealth trolling since the staff says people can post as many negative threads as they wish. Although I just question how long I would get away with the very same behavior in the PlayStation section. I suspect not very long.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Well loading up the Microsoft section with almost nothing but negative bitch-fest threads isn't helping. People are clearly dog piling by mainly looking for negative ONLY articles and quotes. If 10 different devs had complaints about the Xbox One, people will make sure there are 10 separate threads to load up the section with them.

It's very clever stealth trolling since the staff says people can post as many negative threads as they wish. Although I just question how long I would get away with the very same behavior in the PlayStation section. I suspect not very long.
    It's a perpetual thing. People from both sides do it. I could name several people who only ever posted negative Sony articles. Though all but one have relented.

MS is in the middle of a PR nightmare though, which doesn't help as there is A LOT of negative press floating around at the moment. Still, people should be able to discuss these matters without feeling some kind of emotional link to the console. It's this link that gets people defensive.

Still, if enough people are tired of this, then we can work together to get rid of this divide. We should be one big PSU family, united in the love of gaming and not trying to get one up on the Sony/MS guy who just posted a praising/FUD article.

With every person who adopts this mentality, we have one less who is part of the problem, and one more who is part of the solution.
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-27-2013 at 12:56.

Superior Member

^^ A wise edit.

It ain't gonna happen anytime soon. We still have E3 and the months leading up to the launch.

I'd have a little less issue if all the negative crap was condensed into a merged thread. Too many negative threads to weed through.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Good thread. Regardless of console, good games are good games.

My most played system this year is the 3DS. By far :O (with the Vita a close second). And I'm mostly playing old and tired DS games on it. But they are awesome.

Personally, I just want good games that are fun I am able to keep on the shelf for my friends and family to enjoy.

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post

I wouldn't say you're helping the situation, since you're always complaining about the community, which increases the touchiness.

It just blows my mind that you have to continually point out that a PlayStation site is biased towards PlayStation. That's something you have to deal with if you're going to post here.

17. Likes -Shafty- wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    There is no need to bring up past posting habbits if we can just let go of that bullshit. Who cares? Change can happen at any second...let's just move on and enjoy the coming generation...whether on Xbox One or PS4, we will all be satiated...so lets enjoy THAT.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    My 2 cents, I'm excited for both consoles, want to see more about them, but I'm hesitant about next gen in general. If I were to buy a console today, it'd be a PS4. I might just wait though, I'll have plenty to play through at least January of next year. I'll be happy regardless.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yep even though I'm going PS4 only next gen I'm still excited to see both companies E3 presentations to see what these next gen games are going to be like as well any surprise announcements.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    There is no need to bring up past posting habbits if we can just let go of that bullshit. Who cares? Change can happen at any second...let's just move on and enjoy the coming generation...whether on Xbox One or PS4, we will all be satiated...so lets enjoy THAT.
    Past posting habits? He's doing it right in this thread. He complains about the site being divisive and yet he's always complaining about the PlayStation fans on here. That is the bullshit.

Are you saying we should all not have any bias? Because that's not going to happen. Everyone is biased. You said it yourself in regards to your alignment with CCP. If someone cares a lot about something, then they'll tend to defend it.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Past posting habits? He's doing it right in this thread. He complains about the site being divisive and yet he's always complaining about the PlayStation fans on here. That is the bullshit.

Are you saying we should all not have any bias? Because that's not going to happen. Everyone is biased. You said it yourself in regards to your alignment with CCP. If someone cares a lot about something, then they'll tend to defend it.
    Yeah, and if he continues to do it after reading this thread then it's on him. If someone reads through this thread and sees the mature mentality laid out, yet chooses to retain this childish mudslinging game then they will be shown as such.

As far as bias, I said:

So soon as people get this, then there is no reason to try and beat down the other console, or its maker, or those who prefer it.

Th contention and tension at PSU among some members is like a fire, so soon as you stop piling on flammable objects, it dies down. It's as simple as closing the thread tab when you see something 'flammable', or going in and reminding everyone of the subjectiveness of it all.
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-27-2013 at 20:19.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    So soon as people get this, then there is no reason to try and beat down the other console, or its maker, or those who prefer it.

Th contention and tension at PSU among some members is like a fire, so soon as you stop piling on flammable objects, it dies down. It's as simple as closing the thread tab when you see something 'flammable', or going in and reminding everyone of the subjectiveness of it all.
    You have to curb the passion of your community a certain amount if you don't want any heated discussion though.

Look at what happened when everyone was criticizing your DUST review. You pulled the elitist card and said everyone else just wants to be fed 'warm milk'. So I don't think you have the right to tell people to not be a little elitist about their console of choice. You're only saying that because consoles don't mean much to you. It's not the same situation if someone criticizes DUST.

My point is that quelling elitism can hurt the community, since it's so common among people who are passionate about something. What should be stamped out is the finger pointing.

I have no problem that you're biased towards DUST or that GreatSpace is biased towards Xbox. But if someone is constantly pointing fingers at your bias, then that degrades threads.
    Last edited by Ixion; 05-27-2013 at 22:40.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    You have to curb the passion of your community a certain amount if you don't want any heated discussion though. Look at what happened when everyone was criticizing your DUST review. You pulled the elitist card and said everyone else just wants to be fed 'warm milk'. So I don't think you have the right to tell people to not be a little elitist about their console of choice. You're only saying that because consoles don't mean much to you. It's not the same situation if someone criticizes DUST. My point is that quelling elitism can hurt the community, since it's so common among people who are passionate about something. What should be stamped out is the finger pointing. I have no problem that you're biased towards DUST or that GreatSpace is biased towards Xbox. But if someone is constantly complaining about your bias, then that degrades threads.
    Totally agree. I cant rep you right now and I'm also all out of likes for right now. lol So all I can say is great post and absolutely true. The finger pointing is alot more of a problem than anybody's bias.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-27-2013 at 22:37.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    My 2 cents, I'm excited for both consoles, want to see more about them, but I'm hesitant about next gen in general. If I were to buy a console today, it'd be a PS4. I might just wait though, I'll have plenty to play through at least January of next year. I'll be happy regardless.
    Agreed.

I've made my decision, but that doesn't mean if I don't pick an Xbone up at some point that it demeans someone else's choice.

Thread Information