Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRellP89 View Post
    The worst thing about this Activation crap is that you MUST BE ONLINE to do this. What happens when you buy a new game and your internet's down? Deal with it?
    That is the bit that sticks in the craw, yes.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    lol Really though...how many times have you guys bought a game when the net is down? Is it a regular happening?

Supreme Veteran
    The problem has lied with Phil Harrison, lol he has infiltrated Microsoft and will burn them from within! I'm joking but it's funny.
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Superior Member
    almost like trying to play a game when you lose power!

I'm still sticking to the idea that we have not seen the whole picture on this and will need to wait until e3 to get this all sorted out. There is just too many conflicting reports. Even within the company itself.
    Last edited by WretchedSoul21; 05-27-2013 at 10:43.
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think I see the fuller picture and it's nothing too terrible my books.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    lol Really though...how many times have you guys bought a game when the net is down? Is it a regular happening?
    I've moved house before and it's taken weeks to get the net.

I also stay at my girlfriends sometimes and she doesn't have wireless

Sometimes my net cuts out in bad weather

So, sometimes

Via Tapatalk

I think I see the fuller picture and it's nothing too terrible my books.
    Yeah, Microsoft checking your console is online every 24 Hours doesn't sound bad at all right? I would love to see your face when your internet goes down and all the games you bought can't be played.
    Last edited by RugerRellP89; 05-27-2013 at 10:55.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRellP89 View Post
    Yeah, Microsoft checking your console is online every 24 Hours doesn't sound bad at all right? I would love to see your face when your internet goes down and all the games you bought can't be played.
    I was referring more to the whole game verification process outlined in the OP and not the 24hr check, which as far as I'm aware, doesn't come into this equation from what I've seen.

@DV: fair points, but they are just sometimes. You're right about the moving house thing though, I've had my periods without net. In these times it's the console that saves you from your sanity, but if it doesn't work without net... -.-
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-27-2013 at 11:01.

Also, what about all the parts of the world that don't have internet? These consoles definitely won't sell nearly as much as the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Good luck finding that one boys.
    Found
    Apparently someone screwed up and caused this ruckus but then one has to ask "pay a free" or "pay a fee" seems like typo was just a coverup. Now that the internet has spoken MS backed off.
    https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/stat...36354913071104
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I've been suggesting this is how it was going to be. Still won't know until it's all out in the open for sure though.

I think the internet authentication will only be required if the disc isn't present. If I have it installed on my box, and gave the game to a friend...

It will authenticate the game via internet since I don't have the disc. If he doesn't have any online, he'll be able to play that game w/o any fee or problem. Once he goes online though, he'll either get a message saying the disc is already authorized on another box (pay a fee to unlock it), or it will automatically remove the authentication from my machine (probably a message "Do you want to blah blah blah").

Superior Member
    According to this interview Harrison did say there would be a fee. Even Major Nelson chimed in to confirm the fee.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-t...cros-509140825

Xbox One games will require a one-time activation code to use, but you'll still be able to trade and sell them online, Microsoft tells Kotaku—although we're not 100% clear on the details.

Speaking to us at the big event in Redmond today, Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison clarified a couple of details about the system's used game policy and explained that there will be a solution for people who want to trade games with their friends.

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

The Xbox exec wouldn't give further details on how this system will work, but we're assuming that once you're done with a game, you can trade the code online and it will be erased from your machine. But what will you get? Other games? Microsoft Points?

No matter how the final system works, it is not likely to please GameStop, the world's biggest buyer and seller of used video games, but it could be a tantalizing way to share games with your friends in the virtual space.

Update - Microsoft's Larry Hryb has issued the following clarification:

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.
    Last edited by Old Man Gamer; 05-27-2013 at 13:52.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    This is all just beyond confusing and very hard to keep up with.

Hopefully post E3 we will have answers
    This.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I'm more inclined to believe things are in disarray at camp MS and they still need to sort things out from some other recent changes with the backlash of the stealth $#@!. I'm even inclined to sit back at this point. No fun but things are getting stranger by the day

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    We'll see. If public outrage has even managed to dampen the way the DRM is implemented so it's less anti-consumer, it's a small win.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    As i said in the other thread,
    1/ discless play.
    2/ A hook into other players "one disc -mulitple installs, easier to sell an unlock code".

Heck the more I look at this the more I think MS is trying to convert the renters into buyers. Rent a game, decide you like it, unlock the game.
    Is renting even a big thing any more? Ok I know gamefly is kinda (?) popular in america but I don't know anyone who rents games and never have done as far as I'm aware

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    We'll see. If public outrage has even managed to dampen the way the DRM is implemented so it's less anti-consumer, it's a small win.

Is renting even a big thing any more? Ok I know gamefly is kinda (?) popular in america but I don't know anyone who rents games and never have done as far as I'm aware
    My mates and myself all rent games from Lovefilm...Renting is big business here in the UK! Also rent from Blockbuster from time to time.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    "Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.
    In another interview (I believe it was Sessler's) an MS rep said that gamers would be able to trade in their digital rights to play games for discounts on XBL purchases.

That's why the process outlined in the OP contrasted so much, because it felt a lot less $#@!ty than what we had heard before.

The game disc is simply a means of getting the content onto your console. As it's not needed to play afterwards, it's a non-essential part to the business model. Whether you download it or buy it on disc, it becomes like a DD on your HDD. It's a very sneaky way to try and usher in the age of DD only gaming...all the benefits of DD with the reach ofphysical media.

Their approach is starting to make sense now.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by hood View Post
    Found
    Apparently someone screwed up and caused this ruckus but then one has to ask "pay a free" or "pay a fee" seems like typo was just a coverup. Now that the internet has spoken MS backed off.
    https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/stat...36354913071104
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    According to this interview Harrison did say there would be a fee. Even Major Nelson chimed in to confirm the fee.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-t...cros-509140825
    Yeah none of this had anything to do with second hand games just if you friend wanted to buy the game.

In another interview (I believe it was Sessler's) an MS rep said that gamers would be able to trade in their digital rights to play games for discounts on XBL purchases.

That's why the process outlined in the OP contrasted so much, because it felt a lot less $#@!ty than what we had heard before.

The game disc is simply a means of getting the content onto your console. As it's not needed to play afterwards, it's a non-essential part to the business model. Whether you download it or buy it on disc, it becomes like a DD on your HDD. It's a very sneaky way to try and usher in the age of DD only gaming...all the benefits of DD with the reach ofphysical media.

Their approach is starting to make sense now.

Thats what I said in the other DRM thread I started, I don't think MS differentiate between disc installs and digital installs.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Apprentice
    Items PS3 Fat
    Still don't see how any of this benefits me as a consumer... Unless i'm shown something i can't already do or it stops making things harder to do instead of easier compared to other hardware i still see no reason for me to get myself one

Don't go around believing that Great Wizards solve all your problems, because there aren't any and they don't and I should know because I'm not one...

Thread Information