PSN ID
    snake2112

[Opinion] Too Many Great Games, Too Little Time

If there is something this opinion piece is showing is that there are too many good games and I can’t get to them all. I actually think I read someone saying something about the game developers of this genre not being that great; I disagree. Sure I want someone to recreate Maniac Mansion in a big way but I don't have time to play all the games I have at this time.

Currently I keep a stack of games out which drives me crazy. I used to beat a game like Double Dragon, Mario Bro’s (1, 2, 3), Contra and ect; I would beat one before moving on. At this moment I am playing XCOM Enemy Unknown, Deadrising 2 (both versions), Dragon’s Dogma, Boarderlands 2, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead (both PS3 versions), Dishonored, and a few others. The point is that there too many reasons I’m not beating them, not getting to see the end result, “the cream”. And these reasons include many games being too long and too many great games coming out to close together. And then there are games like Dead Island Riptide and Mass Effect 3 where I would rather bring my previous character into the new seen but no cause my previous PS3 broke down and I lost a ton of data. Also, games that I really appreciate like the Fallouts and Skyrim didn’t allow me to purchase the add-on until latter, which is why I am also playing Skyrim again.

I have to honestly thank some game makers like Naughty Dog for bringing Uncharted to the gaming world; a game I beat overnight. Another would be Quantic Dreams, “I truly see why they think a gamer should play the game once through.” They give you a true once in a lifetime play through and Heavy Rain was awesome but again I beat it. And that I can appreciate; can’t wait to play their next game, “Beyond Two Souls.” This only proves that I will continue picking up more games.

I am a hard core gamer and am having a hard time seeing an end to this madness. With the PS4 coming out this addiction of mine will most likely increase. I currently have well over 60 PS3 games on disk and over 40 more downloaded. I have the need to try them all even if they are bad. I am a 35 year old gaming junkie that is having a difficult time reaching the pinnacle (the ending, game over) of the games. Hopefully with the PS4’s ability to let your friends take over your game for a while will allow me some piece of mind.

So I will go on record saying that there are too many good games even in this generation and if you don’t agree it’s because you haven’t played as many as me. I do not see an end of this gaming madness and my chance of beating all my games to the end will only happen after I pass on to the next world. That’s right my games are going to the after- life with me. Oh yeah, and bring me another Maniac Mansion!
    Last edited by Sir_Scud; 05-29-2013 at 04:28.
    SinCerely, sAiNt sNaKe

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Saying you beat Uncharted overnight reminded me of the time I played through Metal Gear Solid all the way through in a night. Such a fun time that even my siblings watched it through with me. I applaud you in your PS3 physical and digital library. Pretty impressive. This has been entered.

PSN ID
    snake2112
    Thanks, now I'm thinking I should try to beat Metal Gear Solid. LOL. I figured it may take me longer than a night but guess I should start it back up.
    SinCerely, sAiNt sNaKe

PSN ID
    Ryu2388
    You know, I visit this site quite often but never took part in any of the forums; it is mostly my fault, because I was going off the lack of intelligence shown in the article comments sections. I am glad that I explored the site more, for I am enjoying what I have been reading.

Great post!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Yeah Ryan, it should be noted that most of the people who post in the article comments are not regulars here on the forums. Introduce yourself to the welcome thread if you already haven't, you'll be greeted by some of the nicest members ever!

PSN ID
    snake2112
    Thanks Ryan and Sir_Scud is right. I am not always on the post either but I felt this was a cool competition and used it to get my kid reading and writing. Also, I wanted to let everyone here know my kid and I played Dead Rising 2 for most of the day. I felt accomplish when I saw the credits roll. And then boom a whole load of easy task and then TK. My kid froze up, not sure why and I died. We took about 1/2 TK's life but at last I was burned out after the first 8 hours. So guess I haven't beaten it yet but I think I'm at the end. This reminds me of Wolverine; got to Dead Pool but just can't seem to beat him. Not saying TK is that hard but I got burned on the game for today.
    SinCerely, sAiNt sNaKe

PSN ID
    Ryu2388
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    Yeah Ryan, it should be noted that most of the people who post in the article comments are not regulars here on the forums. Introduce yourself to the welcome thread if you already haven't, you'll be greeted by some of the nicest members ever!
    Will do, sir!

Hahaha! I hope my kid likes the same stuff I like.

Like they say, time is money. And the time spent playing games...could be money making instead, sorry gamers.

But yeah I have a huge backlog that I want to get through, so this year I've only purchased like maybe 5 games so far, and they are specific games that I expect good things from, and deliver. But in the past I'd just buy buy buy, and my collection is pretty bad, I didnt realize I had spent that much. Then it's weird, when I want to start that backlog, I go and play other games I've already beaten just because they were so good. And I'll have to admit, I have a modded wii, and with a huge log of 200 games, I ended up not playing a single one. So in a way, buying games, because ps3 isnt technically mod-able pushes you to actually play them. But majority of the time, these good games that you don't intend to buy, hits a price drop a month after release that you can't resist buying.

PSN ID
    snake2112
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartia View Post
    Like they say, time is money. And the time spent playing games...could be money making instead, sorry gamers.

But yeah I have a huge backlog that I want to get through, so this year I've only purchased like maybe 5 games so far, and they are specific games that I expect good things from, and deliver. But in the past I'd just buy buy buy, and my collection is pretty bad, I didnt realize I had spent that much. Then it's weird, when I want to start that backlog, I go and play other games I've already beaten just because they were so good. And I'll have to admit, I have a modded wii, and with a huge log of 200 games, I ended up not playing a single one. So in a way, buying games, because ps3 isnt technically mod-able pushes you to actually play them. But majority of the time, these good games that you don't intend to buy, hits a price drop a month after release that you can't resist buying.
    Good to know that I'm not alone.
    SinCerely, sAiNt sNaKe

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Yeah..I tend to buy more games than I do finishing them or getting far into them. If I see a deal, I'll usually jump on a game. And sometimes that means I don't get to it for months or barely touch it.

hahaha, I still have Folklore unopened.....and I still REALLY want to play it =P

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Too many great games across too many platforms = story of my life.

Great opinion piece and +Rep

PSN ID
    Ryu2388
    hahaha, I still have Folklore unopened.....and I still REALLY want to play it =P
    You really need to. It can be a little repetitive, but, it has that "pizaz" that most games are missing these days; that certain "creative something" that hits your imagination in all the right spots.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Saying you beat Uncharted overnight reminded me of the time I played through Metal Gear Solid all the way through in a night. Such a fun time that even my siblings watched it through with me. I applaud you in your PS3 physical and digital library. Pretty impressive. This has been entered.
    First play through of Metal Gear on PS1 took me close to 20 hours. Second play through was 12 hours.
    I let my friend copy my game save since we both were playing it taking turns.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-05-2013 at 13:55.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    First play through of Metal Gear on PS1 took me close to 20 hours. Second play through was 12 hours.
    I let my friend copy my game save since we both were playing it taking turns.
    Well, when I beat it in a night I had already played through it in the past. So I knew where to go, but I did listen to codec and watch the cut scenes. I didn't plan on spending an all nighter, but I had an audience watching me go through it. I replayed that game a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    You really need to. It can be a little repetitive, but, it has that "pizaz" that most games are missing these days; that certain "creative something" that hits your imagination in all the right spots.

What I was thinking was, Folklore should've been the Pokemon Master of Smash Bros in Playstation All Stars, be perfect.

Well, when I beat it in a night I had already played through it in the past. So I knew where to go, but I did listen to codec and watch the cut scenes. I didn't plan on spending an all nighter, but I had an audience watching me go through it. I replayed that game a lot.
    There are things in MGS1 back in ps1 days that did things making us "mindblown". Its a shame they (and other devs) never carried those ideas forward to games of this gen. It's one of those games that made people think about gaming more than just a game, if MGS1 never came out, Snake might actually have found a cure...

PSN ID
    Ryu2388
    What I was thinking was, Folklore should've been the Pokemon Master of Smash Bros in Playstation All Stars, be perfect.

There are things in MGS1 back in ps1 days that did things making us "mindblown". Its a shame they (and other devs) never carried those ideas forward to games of this gen. It's one of those games that made people think about gaming more than just a game, if MGS1 never came out, Snake might actually have found a cure...
    It has all become about money, i mean it has always been about money, but, gaming is so mainstream now that being a company has to come first, and with that, copying and pasting what works.

PSN ID
    snake2112
    I have played through quite a bit of folklore and really like that game as well. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get to the end of it?
    SinCerely, sAiNt sNaKe

Thread Information