Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

IGN Reviews DUST 514

Link

Like a mad scientist, Dust 514 seeks to merge a free-to-play multiplayer first-person shooter with a skill system more robust than most modern RPGs, and battles that decide the fate of a vast MMO universe that exists on an entirely different platform. While it sounds amazing on paper, thereís a reason most games arenít so ambitious: because so much can go wrong. And here, much of it has: anyone fighting the war of Dust 514 will have to contend with banal art design, poor shooting and driving mechanics, and a terrible grind that keeps its most interesting bits out of reach, turning the experience into more of a test of patience than a test of multiplayer skill.

Before we even get into the larger universe around it, the most critical problem is that the actual shooting isnít up to snuff. Similar games like Battlefield 3 succeed by making it fun to fight both on foot and in vehicles, but Dust struggles to even make firing a gun feel right, much less vehicle combat. Now, I don't claim to be an expert marksman, but I had more trouble keeping my sights on target in Dust than in any FPS in recent memory. Part of this is due to the mushy aiming controls, which are too sluggish for quick turns, yet too jumpy to track moving targets reliably. The other major factor was server-side hit detection, which meant shots that looked like hits on my screen sometimes didn't register. And then thereís the persistent framerate issues, which certainly arenít helping. Sloppy, protracted firefights result, leaving my enemies and I to dance endlessly around each other, emptying our clips without scoring a kill. After playing with controls as tightly refined as those in Call of Duty, Battlefield, and countless other shooters, Dust's feel terribly antiquated.

Getting into a vehicle feels just as clumsy. Both throttle and steering are goofily mapped to the same analog stick by default, and though that's fixable by choosing another control scheme, the suspensions on the wheeled LAV's (the only vehicle you can initially drive) aren't so easily addressed. Seriously, these rides bounce and flip so readily you'll think every planet is made of trampolines.

In fact, very little works or feels like it should in Dust 514. The maps are laid out well enough for combat, with some great verticality at times, but the limited detail and variety of the environments keep it from ever feeling like youíre planet-hopping for glory and profit. Controls are frustratingly finicky across the board, shoddy collision detection leads to getting stuck on terrain you should be able to walk clear over, and a plethora of other odd idiosyncrasies constantly get between you and what you want to do. How many times did I die while frantically circling a downed comrade, mashing the equipment button trying to find the one place I needed to stand to get the resurrection prompt to come up? Too damn many.

There are no impressive graphics to fall back on, either. Colors are woefully muted, and the dystopia-by-numbers art design does little to stand out from the sea of other sci-fi games. Aggressive daytime lighting present in some stages saves Dust from looking completely last-gen technically, but it takes more than some nice garnish to save a bland dish. Futuristic battles waged on foot, and on the backs of dropships bristling with high-tech weaponry should look and feel exciting, but the lackluster presentation makes it all fall flat.

Until that moment-to-moment action is improved, Dust isnít going to be a good game no matter what. It utterly thwarts everything else CCP has done here, including the massive RPG-caliber skill system and the persistent link to the EVE Online universe, which aim to lend Dust additional scope and depth. Unfortunately, the former indulges the business model a bit too much, while the latter doesn't go quite far enough.

The number of variables involved in crafting a drop suit is gleefully dizzying, resulting in a near-endless variety of loadouts to get shooty with. Lithe combat scouts can be outfitted for close quarters engagements, or for running down and hacking enemy installations with alarming speed. Lumbering, forge gun wielding Sentinel suits can repel armored assaults almost all on their own, but perhaps more powerful is a well-tuned logistics suit that keeps teammates stocked up, healthy, and aware of enemy threats. Though similar sounding, itís all far beyond customizing a loadout in CoD or Battlefield. With power and CPU processing limits on each brand and model of suit, as well as wildly differing slot configurations and stat bonuses, it's more like building a mech in Armored Core. The complexity of this system is my absolute favorite thing about Dust.

But the possibilities arenít the only thing thatís endless. Thereís also the grind, and this is where the free-to-play business model rears its ugly head. See, each of the many categories and sub-categories of gear has its own skill requirements for use, and the skill points (SP) required to attain said skills increases multiplicatively with each rank. For instance, the skills required to get into a base-model logistic suit cost around 330,000SP, and if you want to go top-of-the-line, you're in for quadruple that number. At an average of 3,000-7,000SP per match, that's a lot of sleepless nights between you and the suit you want to build...unless of course, you open your wallet.

Nearly every item has a real-money counterpart that can be used by anyone, free of skill requirements. Prices are reasonable, but whether you're using real (AUR) or in-game (ISK) currency, you lose a copy of every piece of gear in a loadout each time you die, so you'll be making regular post-match trips to the marketplace to restock whatever you just lost. Such high stakes can add tension and excitement to a battle, but at the expense of making new players feel nickeled and dimed every time an experimental loadout goes wrong. Itís less pay-to-win and more "pay to see all the cool stuff,Ē but this is still one of those cases where free-to-play artificially stymies player advancement in the name of the almighty dollar.

Where Dust 514 rings most hollow though, is in its promised integration with EVE Onlineís decade-old universe and thriving player-driven economy. I got to try out the Factional Warfare and Planetary Conquest modes, and though fighting alongside a highly organized space-based corporation adds a lot of big-picture strategic depth, these clashes seem to do a lot more good for EVE players than for the Dust players who lay down their virtual lives, and by association, their virtual or even real money to do so. In fact, the only people who see any tangible gains are the well-established EVE corporations. Since there's currently no way for them to directly reward Dust players for helping defend their turf, it's kind of a raw deal.

And truth be told, most normal players will never participate in a battle of real significance anyhow, because at this point nearly every territory is held by well-run super corps that have more than 200 members and strong ties to the most influential EVE guilds. I had the good fortune of becoming an honorary member of one such group for the purposes of this review, but average Joe-on-the-grind probably won't even know Planetary Conquest exists.

THE VERDICT

Dust 514 truly aims high with a one-of-a-kind cross-platform endeavor. But such ambition is in vain if you don't have a solid foundation, and Dust's crumbles almost from the get-go. Its wonky mechanics, weak graphics, and microtransaction fueled grind make it numbing to play long enough to explore its depth, and its persistent elements are completely lost on anyone who doesn't already have a foot down in the EVE universe. The ideas behind Dust 514 are clearly strong, but so too is the disappointment when they crumble under the weight of its free-to-play baggage.

Anything you guys disagree with? It's hard to argue that the core gameplay isn't mediocre at this point.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    From the site that gave Halo 3 a 10/10...

I haven't played Dust 514 but I don't trust IGN's reviews at all.
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Never trusted IGN this gen and won't next. They have a history of bias. It talks about graphics yet this site praises COD and their super awesome online graphics. Just another joke review from a joke site.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    DUST has it's issues but this "launch" is only the beginning. What do people epxect when a game has 5 years of content planned? It is the first FPS game made by a company that has nevr made an FPS game. It's a pioneering effort that provides the kind of innovation that people have been whining for and it gets shat on because it isn't a beautifully polished CoD experience. I said in my review that it has a fair collection of technical issues but when because I understand what CCP is actually trying to do here, I saw those issues from a different perspective and chose to focus on things that weren't fleeting.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    DUST has it's issues but this "launch" is only the beginning. What do people epxect when a game has 5 years of content planned? It is the first FPS game made by a company that has nevr made an FPS game. It's a pioneering effort that provides the kind of innovation that people have been whining for and it gets shat on because it isn't a beautifully polished CoD experience. I said in my review that it has a fair collection of technical issues but when because I understand what CCP is actually trying to do here, I saw those issues from a different perspective and chose to focus on things that weren't fleeting.
    Basically you gave the game a 9/10 because CCP says it's going to get better? I can't say I agree with that. Yes, the persistant character and world are a plus, but I can't see how you can base your review so much on planned improvements.

I understand you're excited about how the game will develop, but I think you shouldn't have made a review and instead should just write 'state of the union' articles about the state of DUST and coming developments.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Basically you gave the game a 9/10 because CCP says it's going to get better? I can't say I agree with that. Yes, the persistant character and world are a plus, but I can't see how you can base your review so much on planned improvements.

I understand you're excited about how the game will develop, but I think you shouldn't have made a review and instead should just write 'state of the union' articles about the state of DUST and coming developments.
    Did you read my review? The way you're going on here makesme think you just read the score.

Forum Guru
    "Poor driving mechanics" - really? Come on. The idea is that you have skill to drive them like not pressing full throttle... To me that lacks depth of their review.

Grindy free-to-play economy? That's the point! What's the point in making it easy, you got to have incentive.

"Since there's currently no way for them to directly reward Dust players for helping defend their turf, it's kind of a raw deal." Are they not aware this is in development and is obviously something massive to have fully integrated from the get-go.

"its persistent elements are completely lost on anyone who doesn't already have a foot down in the EVE universe." A lot of the people we play with don't already have their foot in the EVE universe so it is not just limited to those that do.

PSU Ghost Syndicate Corporation | Merc: Dorada Aquila | DUST PSN: smurf1191
    My first PSU article!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    At the end of the day my review was...as is every other review, one guys opinion. No opinion is the conclusive and universal truth about the game, just one persons take on it. The game is there and freely available for everyone to download and try for themselves and form their own opinion. I don't really have much else to say on the matter.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Did you read my review? The way you're going on here makesme think you just read the score.
    Yeah, you spent most of the time describing every little feature in the game and spent barely any time on how the game actually plays. As IGN pointed out, DUST does have great depth and customization, but the game has mediocre core gameplay and the groundwork for innovative features is just that, groundwork.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    See my last post. Please feel free to write your own review in the CR section if you have such an issue with my review and believe I did a terrible job. I don't really care to keep going over this and would much rather spend my time doing more productive things. Sorry.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    See my last post. Please feel free to write your own review in the CR section if you have such an issue with my review and believe I did a terrible job. I don't really care to keep going over this and would much rather spend my time doing more productive things. Sorry.
    You criticize IGN's review and then I get on your review and you just say it's an opinion.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Look, nows not a good time to bust my nuts dude. You are right, I have probably been off with my comments here...and for that I apologise. If people hate my review, cool, I'll deal with it...I wish that were the biggest of my problems in life, but its not...my life sucks now and I really don't care for protracted discussions on this.

People can just go play the damn game for themselves and decide at the end of the day.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Look, nows not a good time to bust my nuts dude. You are right, I have probably been off with my comments here...and for that I apologise. If people hate my review, cool, I'll deal with it...I wish that were the biggest of my problems in life, but its not...my life sucks now and I really don't care for protracted discussions on this.

People can just go play the damn game for themselves and decide at the end of the day.
    Fair enough.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I still don't "get" this game, it seems to have this huge following and its own subforum here yet I barely know anything about it...how did it get so popular?
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    I still don't "get" this game, it seems to have this huge following and its own subforum here yet I barely know anything about it...how did it get so popular?
    The game has a following because it transcends typical Halo-esque FPSs. It gives players who suck at FPSs a reason for the game with other legitimate ways to play the game and have an impact. I am horrible at FPSs, and admittedly hate them with a passion, but I enjoyed playing this game because I speced out as a medic. Why have me dying all the time because I can't hit the broadside of a barn when I can heal troops from behind the lines, repair vehicles, and still make top 3 in points because of my contribution.

Reviews are supposed to be objective, informative opinions that try to look at the game through a bigger picture and not a narrow fanboy-esque montage. Sadly some of the reviews I've seen so far for DUST are just hypocritical because the media and fans cry out constantly for innovation and something and when something tries to be something new and innovative, well, its too innovative and not a rehash.

16. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    PSN ID
    DEADMUDD
    The reviewers at GOOD GAME gave it a 8.5

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    It's a persistant world shooter, so it's not a game you just move on from. You're in a corporation that tries to take over planets in one shared universe. That's why it makes sense to have a sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Reviews are supposed to be objective, informative opinions that try to look at the game through a bigger picture and not a narrow fanboy-esque montage. Sadly some of the reviews I've seen so far for DUST are just hypocritical because the media and fans cry out constantly for innovation and something and when something tries to be something new and innovative, well, its too innovative and not a rehash.
    First of all, you can have all the innovations you want, but the game has to play well. Other shooters on the market feel and play much better than DUST (at this point).

Second, the innovations have hardly materialized yet. Yes, the groundwork has been set, but the EVE/DUST integration is still minor and the planetary conquest mode is pretty bare-bones at this point.

PSU Live Streamer
    When this game was first announced, I was a bit hyped for it. But they put it off for way too long. We're now in an age where next gen is on everyones mind and games like Destiny are on the horizon. I've lost interest in 514 tbh.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    First of all, you can have all the innovations you want, but the game has to play well. Other shooters on the market feel and play much better than DUST (at this point).

Second, the innovations have hardly materialized yet. Yes, the groundwork has been set, but the EVE/DUST integration is still minor and the planetary conquest mode is pretty bare-bones at this point.
    that's quite subjective isn't it

it feels like an unreal engine game, CCP haven't moved too far from what Epic gave them. with that being said, and the pedigree the unreal has for twitch gaming, CCP have crafted a somewhat steady shooter. its somewhere between killzone and borderlands for controls.

if i could draw on the aiming thing, forum member felix has been acknowledge by CCP many times for the attention he's been paying to the control acceleration. it is something they are trailing and if it gets passed you can thank him for championing the revised control scheme

i'll admit, CCP move like they're still working on a PC title, which is just wrong imo, but as lasombra said, innovation is hard to come by these days where every game is being held to that oh so generic mold for FPS's....

the IGN article does prove they at least got into the game some ways, but picking up graphics looking like that when COD hasn't touched their engine for nigh on a decade? and they lauded that $#@! when it hit? Killzone looks nice, Far cry looks nice....COD? not a chance in hell.....

however, the dancing around thing is a legitimate concern as well as the hit detection, but these are things that are being worked on now....what will they do when they're fixed in the coming patches?

as an MMOFPS people aren't looking at it right.

Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    When this game was first announced, I was a bit hyped for it. But they put it off for way too long. We're now in an age where next gen is on everyones mind and games like Destiny are on the horizon. I've lost interest in 514 tbh.
    Destiny, up until this point, has only been shown running on next gen hardware. there is no indication of what it will look like (or perform like) on current systems.

Destiny is also a PvE game, the roadmap for Dust pegs PvE at around the same time.

Dust will also make the transition too remember. there has been NO footage of Dust 514 running on anything other than PS3 hardware
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 05-30-2013 at 17:37.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    The real vision of DUST 514 as part of the EVE Universe is 5 to 10 years away in reality. This is just the very beginning and CCP had to start somewhere I guess. It's a game that will always be changing...and often. Because of the close work with Sony, updates and fixes can be done on the fly as needed. To be honest, CCP could have stayed in beta another year until all the things planed in the "near future" stuff from the Advancing the Core presentation were completed which basically involved tightening up all of the mechanics and fleshing out the content (weapons, armour, modules)...but the media was already dooming and glooming about the game being in beta still around the time Chromosome hit leading up to Uprising. Imagine if DUST stayed in beta for another year...it had to launch sometime, it had to become official.

While there are no announcements, there are several quotes from CCP including CEO that DUST 514 will be going to PS4 (and PS7!). In fact in the CEO comment he mentioned the possibility for PS3 and PS4 gamers to play together still...and my precioussssss THE GREY CARDINAL avatar will come with me to next gen. In the meantime I'll enjoy playing the game, developing myself and give my feedback on the game to help it improve and grow...maybe one day like Felix336. That's the other thing that keeps me there...I have watched and experienced this from the beginning and it's been cool to watch it grow and to grow with the game...it's organic and always changing and iterating and improving (edit: mostly improving lol).
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-30-2013 at 18:08.

22. Likes DEADMUDD likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    however, the dancing around thing is a legitimate concern as well as the hit detection, but these are things that are being worked on now....what will they do when they're fixed in the coming patches?
    You can't review a game based on future patches. C'mon man. If that's the case then this game can never be reviewed, because we can just say everything will be improved. But we don't know for sure. It's just promises.

What is obvious is that a low review score at launch should not prevent people from never trying this game again. I think reviewers should remind their readers that this game is supposed to be improved over time.

Destiny, up until this point, has only been shown running on next gen hardware. there is no indication of what it will look like (or perform like) on current systems.

Destiny is also a PvE game, the roadmap for Dust pegs PvE at around the same time.

Dust will also make the transition too remember. there has been NO footage of Dust 514 running on anything other than PS3 hardware
    Destiny seems like a very different beast than DUST. I'm not sure if Destiny will take place on one server like DUST. It seems to use matchmaking. But unlike DUST, I think Destiny is actually open-world, instead of just having a star-map.

I will say that Destiny seems to have a much more interesting art-style and universe. But as CCP adds more variety to their planets, that may change.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    You can't review a game based on future patches. C'mon man. If that's the case then this game can never be reviewed, because we can just say everything will be improved. But we don't know for sure. It's just promises.
    If it were anyone else, this would be true. However CCP have developed EVE over the past 10 years doing exactly what they have promised to with DUST 514. 19 free expansions, countless patches and a group player elected gamers who become part of a special development council that bring the communities issues to developrs and help steer the game in the right direction and all of this is going to be repeated in DUST. Also, CCP is rich enough from EVE to fund the development of DUST no probs.

Maybe you'r right though...reviewing DUST now is like reviewing an album based off of the first 2 songs.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

What is obvious is that a low review score at launch should not prevent people from never trying this game again. I think reviewers should remind their readers that this game is supposed to be improved over time.
    that is true for a game that you'll be playing for a year? two maybe if you only play battlefield? Dust 514 is a game set to stay for the long haul, even if there is only a niche audience.

but that is exactly what is wrong with reviews, that mentality. the here and now because i don't really care about later, i'll have a new game by then....

i accept IGN's score but i think that is the lowest the scores should get. GT's was utter tripe.

and i agree on people trying it out, what have they got to lose? infact, they've get lots to gain. the passive SP will accumulate over the years. when they do decide to get on they'll have something to sink SP into...yet reviewers miss this and pass it down the line, waiting for the 'next' FPS to hold their attention for a year.

Destiny seems like a very different beast than DUST. I'm not sure if Destiny will take place on one server like DUST. It seems to use matchmaking. But unlike DUST, I think Destiny is actually open-world, instead of just having a star-map.

I will say that Destiny seems to have a much more interesting art-style and universe. But as CCP adds more variety to their planets, that may change.
    CCP has their work cut out for them. they cannot keep up with their current pace if they want to challenge Bungie. Both art styles are polar opposites though. Destiny is picturesque and beautiful. Dust is dark and grimy and is supposed to convey a universe of constant war.

CCP can't hope to compete with the gameplay though....its bungie, these guy brought about the modern era of gameplay more or less
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    If it were anyone else, this would be true. However CCP have developed EVE over the past 10 years doing exactly what they have promised to with DUST 514. 19 free expansions, countless patches and a group player elected gamers who become part of a special development council that bring the communities issues to developrs and help steer the game in the right direction and all of this is going to be repeated in DUST. Also, CCP is rich enough from EVE to fund the development of DUST no probs.
    See, I'm not doubting them and that does provide confidence in the future of the game, but it's not for certain.

Maybe you'r right though...reviewing DUST now is like reviewing an album based off of the first 2 songs.
    That analogy would better suit an episodic game, where the experience is already at full quality, yet fractured. I can't really think of anything better though....except maybe life.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    that is true for a game that you'll be playing for a year? two maybe if you only play battlefield? Dust 514 is a game set to stay for the long haul, even if there is only a niche audience.

but that is exactly what is wrong with reviews, that mentality. the here and now because i don't really care about later, i'll have a new game by then....
    I know it's a game designed for the long haul, and the persistant aspects of the game should be taken into account for these reviews since that is something that affects the game over time without CCP's direct hand.

The patches and improvements however are dependent on CCP following through. We can't give them credit for fixing and improving the game already.

CCP has their work cut out for them. they cannot keep up with their current pace if they want to challenge Bungie. Both art styles are polar opposites though. Destiny is picturesque and beautiful. Dust is dark and grimy and is supposed to convey a universe of constant war.

CCP can't hope to compete with the gameplay though....its bungie, these guy brought about the modern era of gameplay more or less
    There's no doubt Destiny will launch with some solid core gameplay and polish. It likely won't be released until next year though, so CCP has time to catch up.

Thread Information