Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by newf_52 View Post
    I hate this argument...
    I will so rarely pay full price for a game these days because of the focus on multi player...I don't do multi player at all.
    So I am cool with buying a used game that has an online pass, 95% of the time I don't need the online capabilities.
    If I truly love a game I will try it out, but not likely.
    And I rarely hold onto games and I sell them online for cheap.
    Do I care if developers miss out on a few bucks? kinda, not really.
    We need to support big time employers like Game/EB etc as well, you know, economy and stuff.
    Well, I don't want to buy my games expensive and then turn around and sell them cheap. I especially don't want to have something tied to my account that I absolutely have no use for, whatsoever.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    More money for the gaming industry is never a bad thing.
    Just because they make more money doesn't mean that we will ever see anything from it. Just more green lining their pockets.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Just because they make more money doesn't mean that we will ever see anything from it. Just more green lining their pockets.
    Well either way it's our money and they don't want to give us anything in return.

They save tons from DD and yet they don't wanna give a penny. Why should I feel bad?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Well either way it's our money and they don't want to give us anything in return.

They save tons from DD and yet they don't wanna give a penny. Why should I feel bad?
    Exactly! You shouldn't.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    newf_52
    Maybe developers need to try and get into the crowd funding game and get away from publishers...
    My YOUTUBE channel
    Twitter= @RyanTheNewf
    My Soundcloud stream!

Veteran
    Items Rolling StonesGTA IVDeadmau5NirvanaSackboyThe BeatlesJoker (limited ICON)Call of Duty: Black OPSGran Turismo 5GTA NikoNaughty DogModern Warfare 3
    i dont get how used games hurt devs/publishers...

ok i go buy a new game....the devs get money for my copy
    i go trade it in, and joe blogs buys my game used....

so th devs produced 1 game that they got paid for , they made their money from my original sale ,

the server isnt having to handle an extra player as it lost one player when i traded game in, then got 1 back when joe bought game used

so really that used game sale is keeping the online community active

plus now most games have dlcs
    so if i bought a dlc before i traded it in, and then joe goes on to buy a dlc from his used copy, the devs are actually winning as they sold 2 times the dlc they normally would have

7. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by scottscorpion View Post

so th devs produced 1 game that they got paid for , they made their money from my original sale ,

the server isnt having to handle an extra player as it lost one player when i traded game in, then got 1 back when joe bought game used

so if i bought a dlc before i traded it in, and then joe goes on to buy a dlc from his used copy, the devs are actually winning as they sold 2 times the dlc they normally would have
    Their point is that they want to get a sale every time someone buys a copy. So they didn't gain from the second guy.

Now, yes, the idea is that you keep going back for more but you may not go to the same developer. But I agree with you that you would still have the chance to get more sales eventually if you keep pumping out good games...also someone may have sold a game to buy yours too.

Yea they don't care about all that. They want the sale now.

Forum Sage
    I thought it also had to do with the fact that when someone buys a used game, the developer potentially lost a 'new' game sale.

Reason being, the person who bought the game, had the option of buying a used copy over a new one -- if he didn't have the used option he would have bought it new which would have resulted in a new sale where the money goes towards the developer/publisher.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    He's absolutely right and I have shared his view for a long time now..this is one of the reasons I can't wait for things to go digital. I want to see these companies burn and the people who deserve is get the money.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Overseer
    But the argument can be made that you may not even want the game if you didn't get it at a low price. It's possible that the person may just have given in and paid extra to get the new copy but it's not always going to happen. So you're losing that and you're losing the bigger picture, right? Since if there is a used market then it's possible that your new game got a sale because the person sold his previous one.

Yes, it's also possible that a person goes from one used game to another but either way, it's more money in the gamers' pockets and you should only hope your products are good enough to entice the consumers again.

really the used game clause makes sense for small developers and funnily enough, they're not the ones advocating for it.

Veteran
    Items Rolling StonesGTA IVDeadmau5NirvanaSackboyThe BeatlesJoker (limited ICON)Call of Duty: Black OPSGran Turismo 5GTA NikoNaughty DogModern Warfare 3
    ^^ every used sale does not equate to a lost sale

but each used game sale is a potential new customer

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Sage
    I only buy digital games so used games aren't an option for me however you won't ever get me to agree with banning used games. My little brother can't afford the newest games so he relies on buying used games occasionally. Not everyone has the money to buy new games all the time.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    ^^ every used sale does not equate to a lost sale

but each used game sale is a potential new customer
    Nope, because if the used game wasn't there in the first place that would be an additional sale for the developer. They were going to buy the game anyway. Also as the guy said, if there were no used games in the first place the RRP would be cheaper.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid

But lost out on the 60bux initial sale. so they are minus 60 plus 15 = minus 45.
    DLC exists so they can claw back some money from the used game market.
    I agree with what Dave said that if used games was stopped the game new prices would drop

Servers are rented by the month usually with unlimited bandwidth so it doesn't matter how many people play the games as long there is regular income from the games.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-04-2013 at 16:07.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    newf_52
    So getting rid of used games and rentals won't hurt developers and publishers financially, at first, but it will down the road.
    It will also cost a lot of people in retail their jobs.

I bought Saints Row the Third used only 'cause it was cheap, didn't have much interest in it, certainly wasn't gonna pay full price for it but the game was so amazing that I bought the DLC and I have Saints Row 4 pre ordered....I'm sure this happens a lot.
    My YOUTUBE channel
    Twitter= @RyanTheNewf
    My Soundcloud stream!

Apprentice

It can go both ways.

I'm sure it does to. As a matter of fact, I bought Army of two used because I didn't know if I was going to like it or not. I bought it used, played it. and meh. So when Army of two 40th day came out. I didn't even look in it's direction. I wasn't blown away by Army of two so they didn't get the sale for 40th day either. It can go both ways. Pay a little bit cheaper of a price for a game I'm not sure if I will like or not rather than rent it, because then I can get some return with it and use towards something that I want to buy new that Will blow my mind. I keep the games that I really like. I don't sell or trade those. In fact I had to buy another few games used because I couldnt find any new copies anymore since the game was a bit older. I had to do that because the copy I bought got stolen, It was condemned blood shot. Couldnt find a new copy for anything, so I had to get one that was used.

If things ever go digital download only. I will stop buying anything that has to do with games. That's stupid. There is so many problems with digital anything. I like, and always will like to have a physical copy.

Quote Originally Posted by newf_52 View Post
    So getting rid of used games and rentals won't hurt developers and publishers financially, at first, but it will down the road.
    It will also cost a lot of people in retail their jobs.

I bought Saints Row the Third used only 'cause it was cheap, didn't have much interest in it, certainly wasn't gonna pay full price for it but the game was so amazing that I bought the DLC and I have Saints Row 4 pre ordered....I'm sure this happens a lot.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    The question is how many people would write of gaming completely if they banned used games? I don't think that there are tons of people that buy used games only. I could be wrong. I usually buy used games when I'm skeptical about them. Then if I enjoy them, their sequel or next game get's much more interest from me. Not to mention, I have found some gems by buying games used. I would never give them the time of day. So in that case it gained interest for me to buy their next game.

I know some people see used games as evil but honestly blocking used games just seems illegal. I know in reality it wouldn't be but they are saying that once you buy it you are stuck with it and it is useless. That is why I fear they are going to keep shoving this DD $#@! down. Once they get all Digital they control the market. Yep I can't wait for that! No more used games and likely controlled pricing. Oh what a glorious day.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    For a consumer, new or used are same except price, so why should I care if it is new or used? only price point I care, rest is the problems of the companies, lol the one who caring for them. Making so big deal of it. Puff..
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Nope, because if the used game wasn't there in the first place that would be an additional sale for the developer. They were going to buy the game anyway. Also as the guy said, if there were no used games in the first place the RRP would be cheaper.
    No not true at all. When people go to CEX they trade in games they don't want any more for credit. They use that credit to buy used games. There's no lost sales here, not even the staunchest publisher defenders can argue that. If they can't trade in the games they already have, they can't buy more games.

The MAJORITY of the used games market is separate from the new games market. And much of the overlap is GOOD for the new games market. Trade in a few games, buy a new game.

And Dave do you honestly believe prices would drop? Put the pipe down mate

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    No not true at all. When people go to CEX they trade in games they don't want any more for credit. They use that credit to buy used games. There's no lost sales here, not even the staunchest publisher defenders can argue that. If they can't trade in the games they already have, they can't buy more games.

The MAJORITY of the used games market is separate from the new games market. And much of the overlap is GOOD for the new games market. Trade in a few games, buy a new game.

And Dave do you honestly believe prices would drop? Put the pipe down mate
    Honestly prices would go up. What is strong them? They control the market. They could charge whatever they want if people want to game. One great thing about the used game market. It provides competition of new game sales so they can't over price.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    They're abusing DLC now. I see no point in this petty discussion. I'd say, make the DLC actually look like a worth while purchase and who gives a fuk. It's the consumers money in the end and if their isn't enough incentive or interest then the consumer is gonna hold on to their money. And no I'm not for all DD, period.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    One great thing about the used game market. It provides competition of new game sales so they can't over price.
    No, not happening !!! Ever.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Used games help new games being bought.

I buy new games, trade them in, and use the credit to buy new games. That in turn, provides users to buy used games. Without that trade-in, it would hinder my finances to be able to buy the amount of new games I currently get.

26. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Used games help new games being bought.

I buy new games, trade them in, and use the credit to buy new games. That in turn, provides users to buy used games. Without that trade-in, it would hinder my finances to be able to buy the amount of new games I currently get.
    This. I mean how many people to these publishers believe can afford these games at $60 a pop. Say you buy 5 games, that's almost as much as the PS4 is probably going to cost. There are a lot of games that I wouldn't have been able to play if I were not able to find a good deal on craiglist or rent them. If they get rid of people buying used and renting games, I think it would only hurt the gaming community. By getting rid of the used game market they should reward consumers by dropping the price of new games to $40-50. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by RugerRellP89; 06-04-2013 at 21:13.

Thread Information