Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 7
    Master Guru
    I don't know what this proved if anything but gamers want a used games market. That will always be the case. At the end of the day though, if i have to pay a fee to play used games it's not going to stop me from enjoying the hobby i've loved for over 20 years now.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    btw Warframe (game in video) is CONFIRMED AS PS4 LAUNCH TITLE!

woot

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    btw Warframe (game in video) is CONFIRMED AS PS4 LAUNCH TITLE!

woot
    Lol that was out of left field.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Apprentice

I think they take care of that already. As it stands from what I have been able to keep up with, just wait about a year or maybe even the holiday season and if it's not a Triple A title then that has been what they charge give or take. And in some cases multi edition release of some games actually helps because when mortal kombat complete edition was released you could get the regular edition of mortal kombat 9 for a lot less and then if you were inclined could just buy the dlc seperate and still come out on top by saving some money just by being a little patient and wating. Metal gear rising came out a few months ago and I think I saw it for like 25 or 30 dollars...used. But I bought it new at it's original retail price. I sure am interested in how much the ps4 games are going to cost.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRellP89 View Post
    This. I mean how many people to these publishers believe can afford these games at $60 a pop. Say you buy 5 games, that's almost as much as the PS4 is probably going to cost. There are a lot of games that I wouldn't have been able to play if I were not able to find a good deal on craiglist or rent them. If they get rid of people buying used and renting games, I think it would only hurt the gaming community. By getting rid of the used game market they should reward consumers by dropping the price of new games to $40-50. Just my 2 cents.

Veteran
    Items Rolling StonesGTA IVDeadmau5NirvanaSackboyThe BeatlesJoker (limited ICON)Call of Duty: Black OPSGran Turismo 5GTA NikoNaughty DogModern Warfare 3
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    But lost out on the 60bux initial sale. so they are minus 60 plus 15 = minus 45.
    DLC exists so they can claw back some money from the used game market.
    I agree with what Dave said that if used games was stopped the game new prices would drop

Servers are rented by the month usually with unlimited bandwidth so it doesn't matter how many people play the games as long there is regular income from the games.

if i buy a new game the evs make 1 game get paid once

once i trade it someone else buys my copy

devs still got paid for that game

-----------------

people who buy used games are not depriving devs of new sales
    i quite often pick up a couple of games in blockbuster for 2 for 20 , i would have never normally bought these games, i just did so as they were cheap...but the used games i bought....someone bought them new so devs made money....and i might buy dlc or online pass

your argument is like ford saying they lost a sale on a new car as i bought a 300 rust bucket from the paper

Forum Overseer
    no devs don't get money for used games. yes, technically if a person is to assume that they can't sell a game then they may not even buy a new one at $60...yes I agree with that but in reality, you can't assume that even though it happens.

they want it to be a fact and not an assumption.

so their perception is that if someone bought a game new, they sell it again, they don't get money out of that second sale. which is true and limited view of thinking but it's a fact.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by scottscorpion View Post

-----------------

i quite often pick up a couple of games in blockbuster for 2 for 20 , i would have never normally bought these games, i just did so as they were cheap...but the used games i bought....someone bought them new so devs made money....and i might buy dlc or online pass

your argument is like ford saying they lost a sale on a new car as i bought a 300 rust bucket from the paper
    i read your reasoning and this is what i've got:

Devs spend millions and millions of dollars, with no revenue, for two years. they sell a single $60 game to the market, and everyone lines up to play this one game.

hey, devs got paid for that one game right so im totally justified

part of the reason i took up economics was because i really dislike the consumer mentality. everyone sees the $#@! heads at the top of companies and never the little guys who take $#@! from them and work their asses off.
    the very same little guys who get made redundant when sales are low....
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

8. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    the little guys get hurt the most. but funny that big corps are pushing the change. i guess you can say that the little guys don't have the power.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    The interesting thing about used games is that it promotes new games sales and vice versa. That's one thing I see that the OP's video failed to point out.

Forum Overseer
    It may not even promote new game sales from the person who will just end up buying another used game but it definitely gives potential to the people who are selling it...they may end up buying a new game due to it. i think the publishers want to take out that uncertainty, one could argue that they are killing new sales this way as well. however, the only way i could see this working is if the new gen games are just that much better and higher in demand.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'll say it till the day I die...

If devs/pubs want a piece of the used game pie, they need to put their wallets on the table. Buy the used games, and sell them. Period.

Forum Overseer
    But that's not practical. Unless you're trying to prove a point.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    So yeah this guy basically got wrecked. Go crawl back under your rock, TB

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by scottscorpion View Post

-----------------

Its not like it at all.
    Cars cost alot more to begin with and suffer wear and tear and more depreciation.
    My second hand car cost 88 times more than a brand new 45 game, I had to save up many weeks of wages to pay for it unlike a video game where I can buy 10 or more with 1 weeks wages.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-11-2013 at 15:24.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Miyamoto agrees with me:

"We're more worried about piracy and we think used games are a whole other story," Miyamoto continued. "In fact, from our perspective you want to create a game that people will want to keep and keep playing for a long time. That's the approach that we always take and that's the best way to avoid used games."
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-games-market/

Forum Overseer
    You should never (never say never) force something onto a person, that's not what you say a free market is.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Also, Reggie:

"We have been very clear, we understand that used games are a way for some consumers to monetize their games," Fils-Aime said. "They will buy a game, play it, bring it back to their retailer to get credit for their next purchase. Certainly, that impacts games that are annualized and candidly also impacts games that are maybe undifferentiated much more than [it] impacts Nintendo content. Why is that? Because the replayability of our content is super strong. The consumer wants to keep playing Mario Kart. The consumer want to keep playing New Super Mario Bros. They want to keep playing Pikmin. So we see that the trade-in frequency on Nintendo content is much less than the industry average – much, much less. So for us, we have been able to step back and say that we are not taking any technological means to impact trade-in and we are confident that if we build great content, then the consumer will not want to trade in our games."
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/442...e-better-games

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    You know now that he says that, for me that is exactly the case. Nintendo may be putting out the same franchises for years now but they aren't games you simply play and then you're done with them. Their games have very long legs on them. Just about every Nintendo game that I have owned, I owned for years or still own. They are games you simply don't want to get rid of because you will play them down the road at some point. For me at least that's how it is.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Thread Information