Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Is it a bad time to get a PS3 ?

So yeah, im not rich and I'm certain that whatever I do I wont be able to afford the PS4 anytime soon (atleast a few years).

So im going for the PS3, especially for GTA V and Assassins Creed series.

Anyway what I wanted to ask is:

1) How long until new games stop coming for the PS3, as soon as the PS4 is released?
    2) Since ps3 and ps4 are gonna be using Bluray then is it possible that some games might come out for both the consoles, atleast for a while?

Here is a game related question:

1) Before playing Assassins creed III should I play the previous games? or is there no connection between the two? (like GTA games, unlike the Hitman Games)

PSN ID
    D3RM1AN
    Quote Originally Posted by nabeelfarooqui View Post
    So yeah, im not rich and I'm certain that whatever I do I wont be able to afford the PS4 anytime soon (atleast a few years).

1) How long until new games stop coming for the PS3, as soon as the PS4 is released?
    2) Since ps3 and ps4 are gonna be using Bluray then is it possible that some games might come out for both the consoles, atleast for a while?

1) Before playing Assassins creed III should I play the previous games? or is there no connection between the two? (like GTA games, unlike the Hitman Games)
    You have to remember that companies love to make money. So I suppose games will keep coming out for all platforms maybe up until 2018. Of course the gaming experience wouldn't be as amazing as PS4 but PS3 is always good to play when you're online with friends. But they only really just now stopped making PS2s. But i'm guessing from 2018-19 onwards it's going to be just PS4, XBOXONE and other shiet.
    It's never too late to get a PS3. But I do recommend getting a PS4 A.S.A.P.

Elite Guru
    Wait until after E3 just in case a price cut is announced.

Don't get one on the assumption of lots of support for new games. Instead, get one for the massive (and often brilliant) back catalogue. There's lots to play through.

Re: Assassins Creed, I'd recommend playing them in order but know the first is tedious in large sessions (over an hour).

Go look at the metacritic score for The Last of Us and report back. lol

Apprentice
    Exactly what goo said. There may be a price cut coming our pay. Plus you can catch up on all those PS3 games for cheap. It's really a great time to get aPS3.

Sent from my Nexus 4

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    When PS3 was released, the PS2 still kept getting games. Granted nothing all that good, but if I recall the Tales of dev has no plans to go to the PS4 just yet so there could be others too.

We know some of the launch PS4 titles will also have a PS3 title, but since the PS4 wont play PS3 games I cant recommend one enough. Theres been a lot of PS3 exclusives, and some third party, that have been great games. (Would you really want to miss The Last of Us, Tales of Xillia, and Grand Theft Auto V? I sure wouldnt)

-Assassin's Creed III is the end of Desmonds story, so its probably best you play the previous games first.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

So you guys are saying that a PS3 isn't a bad idea? I'll wait till e3.

By the way, what do YOU guys think about Move?

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Ugh...this is such a hard question to answer because PS4 is coming out this year. On one hand you have GTA V coming out for PS3 and a handful of amazing exclusives and multiplat titles are already out...but...you could get a PS4 and be up to date with the latest...for me, if I was in this situation, my impulse would be to buy a PS3 simply because of GTA V.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    So you guys are saying that a PS3 isn't a bad idea? I'll wait till e3.

By the way, what do YOU guys think about Move?
    Since the PS4 wont play PS3 games, yes I do. Though I also believe getting a console within a year or two of launch is a bad idea, but thats just me. :

The move is okay, I got one but I dont honestly find myself using it all that much.. the one game (Sorcery) I wanted didnt turn out to be the amazing title that I was hoping for.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PSN

PSN ID
    mishdon
    After E3 I'm hoping to see a price drop. Pick one up & get a PS Plus subscription and it's a bargain.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    You should pick up a PS Plus subscription regardless, as a new PS3 user this would have tremendous value. Sure its like a $50/year rental, but Ive played games in the few years I had it that would of costed me many times over what I pay.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PSN

If you've never owned a PS3 before then there are so many games that make buying a PS3 a great choice (God of War Series, Assassin's Creed as you mentioned, Heavy Rain and many more).

In regards to the AC games, as goo said, AC can get very repetitive, my personal favourite is AC2, you could always look up the Assassin's Creed in 5 minutes or w/e it is on Youtube and jump straight into AC2

Elite Guru
    You're going to see years of new PS3 games because of how soon this generation is releasing, at the very least you;ll have enough that you wont get bored until you actually can afford a PS4 even if you just count the back catalog of games that are still worth playing.

I'm sure the PS4 will be a very appealing system although there's still a chance Sony could screw things up at E3. But for now a PS3 is a sure bet.

I expect at least 5 more years of new games for PS3
    If you're really going for the best-buy option, wait until PS4 hits the stores, by that time PS3 will probably be cut-price. (although I recommend getting it right away, 50$ or so isn't really worth waiting for)

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by nabeelfarooqui
    I'll say that the Playstation 3 will continue to receive support for roughly a year or two.

Most multiplatform games will continue support for at least a year. I can see sports games continue for years.

It's connected. It's better to start with the first game and work your way up to III. You'll find out why when you play the games.

As per your title, it's never a bad time to buy a Playstation 3. Enjoy what the platform has to offer.

Elite Member
    I wouldn't say its pointless to get a PS3. There are many games that are well worth playing, that the PS4 wont allow you to play due to its lack of backwards compatibility. That said, however, if you are only wanting to play multi-platform games, then I would almost recommend grabbing the Xbox 360. It'd be a cheaper investment overall, and most multi-plats are of higher quality (even if only barely) on the 360. If I am wrong about this, which I may be as I haven't kept up with the console comparisons for the past year or so, please let me know. If you're after free online gaming though, then yeah, spend the bit of extra cash to purchase the PS3.

If you decide/ are determined that the PS3 is the console you want to go with, then wait a little bit, at least until after all of E3. What with the PS4 coming soon, the PS3 may very well see another price drop. Only time will tell on that, however.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items Vita
    Consoles going at low prices and a massive back catalog of awesome games and exclusives? when WAS it a bad time to get a PS3? Hell im still playing the first Uncharted!
    There once was a man named Sidney, he used to collect shells on the beach. everything was going well for him. untill he stopped and took a look, he had a glance and a stare and realised he what he was reading.
    It was a forum signature full of nonsense

18. Likes DarkVincent07 wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Guru
    It's a great time to get a PS3. It's cheap now and will be getting a price drop at E3 most likely. It's already got a great existing library of games. Sony has what they call a 10 year plan. They support their consoles well after releasing the new console. So like the PS2 the PS3 will be supported for another solid 3 years. There's plenty of multiplats to look forward to and Sony is still releasing great exclusives like The Last of Us on Tuesday. Go for it.

You're right, I just remembered playing WWE: SDvsR 2011 on the PS2, when the PS3 was released way back in 2006/2007.

On a slightly different topic, which Version of the Ps3 is better?
    Fat?
    Slim?
    Super Slim?

I'm attracted to wards the Slim model. SuperSlim just seems too small for me, especially since the PS3 will be stationary and not portable. What do you guys think?

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    I was in this boat, with the imminent release of the best game of this gen (the last of us) and the ps4 out this year, i was torn between waiting for the ps4 or missing out on the last of us.........

if the ps4 is backward compatible, i would wait in all honoesty

You're right, I just remembered playing WWE: SDvsR 2011 on the PS2, when the PS3 was released way back in 2006/2007.

On a slightly different topic, which Version of the Ps3 is better?
    Fat?
    Slim?
    Super Slim?

I'm attracted to wards the Slim model. SuperSlim just seems too small for me, especially since the PS3 will be stationary and not portable. What do you guys think?
    think the phat is only on ebay now.....superslim is all that is out there now on retail

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

superslim is all that is out there now on retail
    Oh, well PS4 wont be backward compatible i think, I'll wait and see, thanks for your help guys.

By the way, what are your thoughts about The last of us? are you gonna play it? I know I am!

ps3 game will still be made after ps4 comes out.

im 28 and my favorite genre is still my favorite for todays. fighting game! i can play street fighter and tekken online everyday. i tried fps and see whats the buzz about and wasnt blood boiling hard pounding like fighting.

you should get ps3 and play street fighter and tekken online all day like me. sometimes i put on motorstorm apocalypse for a break from fighting. motorstorm apocalypse many far europe plays it and the online is pretty big but it has connectivity issues like it drop you out at the end of a race or sometimes everyone from a lobby sudden disconnect.

i play alot of online fighting and paying payment to play online is not my thing, to play developer's mode, you must pay extra fee? thats bull.... its like you buying a shoes but the retailer took off the stock lace..... if you want the lace you must pay extra. thats why i dont support xbox. its inhuman to charge to play online and i dont like their big bulky controller. their dpad is a joke.... clunky for fighting game and even if play other genre their their analog feels cramp when rotate around.

xbox 360 got red ring and their elite still got red ring right? slim doesnt have yellow light.

xbox is a joke. i bought xbox 360 game used for a friend and look at the disc, it was all scratched up! i was suprised! because i forgot that xbox 360 still has scratchable disc! because ive been using to see blu ray scratch resistance.... now see a disc with scratch on it in this time of era suprised me!

god of war online
    last of us online
    razors edge online
    all fighting online
    all racing online

get a ps3 and you gonna have a fun ass time!

and dont care for the saying about xbox live got better connection. its just something for xbox fans to feel good about themselves. i play both consoles.... play xbox live at my friends house on the same game i play on ps3 and dont notice any speed differences. its like salesman trying to sell you stuff and they tell you riddiculous thing jus to make you buy it.

xbox is for kids. pay payment to play with cool people! because cool people pay for stuff! and everything that is paid payment is cool!

oh yeah if you a ps3 owner you will get the most game access of any consoles! because of several free games! dead or alive 5 ultimate you can play for free forever but can only use 4 character. psn plus got tons of AAA full game new every few months. even without psn plus you still can access many games like betas and such.

i played like 20 full games without paying a penny thanks to psn plus free trial. psn plus got a library of like 100 of full game that you can play for 1 hour. if you pay for xbox you aint getting nothing like this! i rather get a Wii U rather than a kiddie xbox. Wii U smash bros and Wii U mario kart gonna be awesome!

Superior Member

I would wait for a price drop but there are tons and tons of games to play. Uncharted 2 is perhaps one of the finest games this gen so far. I would play that whole series if I was you. GOW3 was AWESOME...Acension was ok. I'm not a big AC fan...I didn't care for the first two but just finished them to finish them. I will give you my quick run down of games I would suggest....these are just preferences and I played many many more but worth your investment. FPS--BF3 has a strong following--CODMW3 as well--Restistance 1 (2 sucked/3 ok)---Killzone 2/3 loved---Borderlands 1/2 TPS---Uncharted series---MGS4---Tomb Raider Action---Infamous 1/2---Batman Arkum Asylum/City---AC Series Sandbox---GTA4 (ok but sounds like you enjoy)---Red Dead Redemption---LA Noire Racing---GT5---Burnout Paradise---Motorstorm Series Button Mashers---GOW3, Accension, Heavenly Sword Kid Games---LBP Series, Almost any Lego Game in a genre they like MOVE---Fight Lights Out---Sports Champion...Singstar Dance... move was dissapointing for me.

Anyways....its definately worth it....just so many games...my favorites...Uncharted 2, MGS4, GOW3, INFAMOUS 2, and Heavy Rain which I can't even categorize....but soo many more I didn't list....BUY IT!! psplus also gives away a ton of these for free or discounted too!!! Good luck!!

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Its a great time to buy a PS3 and experience all the awesome exclusive games (that list is quite long).

PS3 games will keep coming for a few more years at least, and im sure many of the big PS4/Xbox one titles will come out in the PS3 as well, just not as good looking

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Thread Information