Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

American Cars vs Japanese Cars

I told my father I like and prefer Japanese cars over American made cars. My father says I should reconsider. He says Japanese cars cost more to work on and are always needing a timing belt. I am currently saving up for a 2004 and newer Japanese car like a Honda Accord and my father says the first thing I'm going to need to do is put a timing belt in it. He says American made cars like Ford are better cost wise and maybe even durability wise. Is my father right?

Bonus question:
    You go to the car dealership with money to buy a used car, 2010 and up. You find a 2010 Ford Fusion and a 2010 Honda Accord for around the same price, same payments, and same milage. Which car are you going to pick and why?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I say go with what the wind blows and the wind blows south towards the factory of Japan, this nation was built by the foundation of the wheel and was driven by the engine of success... It never give the boot to a new idea or never braked when things got tough.. They never belted up behind closed doors and bumpered ideas up stairs.. They always shifted the knowledge around the office to navigate through the hard times and they always parked themselves in seats during a conference meeting to oil up the top dogs..

The axles that drive them are always turning and they never need a heater to warm them up... All they need is to fan out a lot more interest in the western world and accept that sometimes a wrench is throwing in to slow things down, but there is always a spark there and it's plugged into everyone around
    Last edited by claud3; 06-07-2013 at 19:02.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Japanese and American cars are both under the true king... European cars.

But if I had to choose between a Japanese or American car, i'd probably choose American just because i'm not really into Japanese cars aesthetically.

Veteran
    I don't know about European cars being the best, but I must say Volkswagen, BMW, and Audi do make good vehicles.

5. Likes Morganator likes this post
    El Presidente
    I don't know anything about Japanese cars but you mentioned durability? I would take a look at a Chevy. I have a cavalier and I can't complain I think its a great car. I see a good number of older chevys and they don't look beat up and crappy. I started with a low milage on mine and could easily make it last ten years if I take care of it.

I can't say anything for or against Japanese cars because I don't know anything about them.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Had Japanese cars for the last 8 years or so, 2 MKIV Supras, an Impreza STi and 5 Evo's.
    All have been bullet proof running wise and they've been tracked and drag raced ranging from 400-760bhp. The only issue I had was down to my own fault with the Supra which caught fire but was put out before much damaged was caused. Oil leak from the oil return pipe from the turbo wasn't fully tight and leaked slightly on the exhaust manifold causing a fire all sorted in acouple of hours though

The only American car I've driven was a corvette C6 which was rented when I got married in Miami.

Having said all of that, I've just bought my dream car today, V8 Vantage. Next will probably be a GT-R or Audi R8.

Having spent more time with Japanese cars, I'd go that route but someone who's owned muscle cars more would probably say them
    Last edited by GazzaGSi; 06-08-2013 at 00:32.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Japanese cars are more efficient and reliable than american cars however I will say as of late the quality of american cars have been just as good as japanese.

I own 2 american cars (ram, and trans Am) 1 european (BMW 545i) and a japanese lil truck.

They are all different the most expensive is the BMW the parts on my american cars compared to my japanese cars I've owned about the same however its more frequent on my american cars.

I say for a female that doesn't know much I'd go with a japanese car

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Ford trucks and mustangs are ok because they use basiclly the same engine. Thier other cars suck. I had nothing but problems and they def need a new timing belt every 80,000 miles or less. I am a Toyota guy. I have a yaris. Good price, great gas mileage.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    This is where it ranks for me

Japanese>European>American

And ironically I own an American car, this would be my third one, as the other two pieces of rotting $#@! always gave me a headache. I used to have a 1992 Dodge Spirit and a 1989 Cutlass Cierra Gradma Mobile. Now I have a 2000 Ford Taurus. So far, this seems to be the charm, even with the 312k mileage on it. I've only had one major problem that wasn't too costly. Well it was, but it wasn't big enough to warrant a car replacement.

This however doesn't satisfy with American cars, I hate them to death. I would much rather own Japanese for how economic it is on gas and how reliable it is. Doesn't break down or cause any serious problems for a long time. The Subaru Impreza WRX STI is my favourite Japanese car and dream car. Nissan GT-R isn't bad either.

Best cars ever made were the Mercedes series 200 and BMW series 3. In terms of quality, there are none who can even compare. You could have over a million miles on them only with changing oil. However, they don't make cars like that any more.
    New japanese cars are all equipped with the lambda-sonde and other fuel conserving mechanisms and the parts are very cheap, so I guess that makes them the best-buy for an average person.
    American cars are pretty good if you're from america because of the lower taxes, relatively cheap spare parts and (most of all) very cheap gasoline in the US. They tend to have more horsepower and thus they "drink" more, which is a pretty important factor. I never really owned an american car so I can't talk about the quality (I had my friend borrow me his focus for 2 weeks, but that doesn't count)
    Note that not all european cars are good. Buying a renault or citroen is going to give you a headache. If you have the money, I'd go with Audi, BMW, Mercedes of even Opel (the new astra is terrible, but they have a few very decent models). Fiat and Alfa were good in the 80s/beginning of 90s, but the quality of those cars fell drastically. Peugeout is all about the design. The last good car they made was the 205.
    The thing is, nowadays they make cars and they know exactly when some part is going to break down (so they can earn more on servising). It's just typical capitalism.
    Last edited by Jermanzg; 06-08-2013 at 10:26.

12. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

I'd vote Japanese as well. There are many JPN cars I like and very few American ones.

I understand though Americans liking American cars. If I was American living in the US I'd love to have a classic. Like a mid 60's impala or sth.

On the move with Tapatalk
    Last edited by MjW; 06-08-2013 at 23:51.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    These days a car with regular maintenance no matter who makes it will last well over 150,000 miles.
    Yes timing belts need changing but not very often, I think Honda's need changing once every 100,000 miles.
    My old Vauxhall (1986) was every 70,000 miles.
    Some cars have timing chains and they generally do not need replacing

My dad knows most of the intervals off the top of his head since he is a maintenance controller for GE fleet.

The classic USA cars look great, 50s and 60s.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-08-2013 at 14:31.

15. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Forum Sage

American cars for the most part are trash. That's not to say there aren't a few gems in the trash heap. The Cadillac CTS and STS are some of the best cars I've seen come from this country. They're safe, reliable, durable, comfortable and drive great. Overall though, the Japanese market has more variety, styles and quality cars in general.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    American cars for the most part are trash. That's not to say there aren't a few gems in the trash heap. The Cadillac CTS and STS are some of the best cars I've seen come from this country. They're safe, reliable, durable, comfortable and drive great. Overall though, the Japanese market has more variety, styles and quality cars in general.
    So do you think the Ford Fusions are trash?

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Kind of. I don't think they're the worst of the worst but they certainly aren't "great" either.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Fuson is called Focus in the UK I think, my dad has one and its pretty good, especially on fuel, his is a 1.6 and he gets 45MPG on average out of it without trying too hard, he sticks to around 55 on the motorways.
    Reliability wise they are rock solid.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Fuson is called Focus in the UK I think, my dad has one and its pretty good, especially on fuel, his is a 1.6 and he gets 45MPG on average out of it without trying too hard, he sticks to around 55 on the motorways.
    Reliability wise they are rock solid.
    No, the new US fusion is your new mondeo.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    The new Fusion/Mondeo looks very nice.
    A shame it's just an Aston Martin knock-off.

On the move with Tapatalk

I prefer Japanese car, because in my country Bangladesh servicing and managing parts are easy for Japanese cars.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Get a Range Rover - $#@!in' awesome

​aka Sparc

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    Get a Range Rover - $#@!in' awesome
    We went to chelsea tractors now?

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    It goes Chelsea Tractors -> Other European Cars -> Japanese Cars -> Korean Cars -> Cars made from scrap metal and battered to $#@! in India -> American Cars

The Americans do a lot of cool and sexy stuff well - but cars is NOT one of them!

​aka Sparc

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    It goes Chelsea Tractors -> Other European Cars -> Japanese Cars -> Korean Cars -> Cars made from scrap metal and battered to $#@! in India -> American Cars

The Americans do a lot of cool and sexy stuff well - but cars is NOT one of them!
    Indeed. I contend that the CTS looks rather yummy though.

Dedicated Member

This thread makes my head hurt. So much misinformation.

First, we can, or at least should all agree that overall the Japanese make the best cars. Always reliable, well put together. Performance is lacking across the spectrum but they are rock solid in reliability.

American cars are the most inconsistent. There are some gems and there are some turds. Overall Ford makes really good cars, but their fit and finish is a bit lacking. They are extremely reliable mechanically, but you can count on it rattling and creaking after 100,000 miles. GM makes a few good cars, but most of them are garbage. GM interiors can only be describes as bad, and only liked by someone who hasn't sat in anything better. I wouldn't drive a Chrysler product if it was given to me for free.

European cars are, on the whole, unsafe crap. The vast majority of them aren't even legal to import into the US because they cannot pass minimum safety standards. The Fiat 500 is a great example of this. It had a 5 star safety rating in the EU, and when Fiat tried to pass US NHTSA crash tests it failed. Not 5 stars, not 3 stars, not even 1 star, it failed. Fiat then had to modify and strengthen the chassis, adding 250lbs of weight to the car. After all of this added work and added weight it finally managed a measly 2 stars in the side impact test and 3 stars overall.

European cars also have some of the worst reliability and some of the highest repair costs. Audi, VW, Mini, Range Rover, Jaguar, and even Mercedes routinely fall in the lowest 20% of car manufacturers when it comes to reliability. However, if you can afford one, Porsche is outstanding.

And for the record, the last 3 cars I either sold or traded in were still running fine with over 250,000 miles on them. Two were American, one was Japanese. The car I currently drive is American because neither Japan nor Europe offers anything like it.

Veteran
    I didn't know Jaguar is European. O.O

Thread Information