Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Sage
    Items Final Fantasy XAuronNaughty DogFirefox LogoAppleBlizzardPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Double Fine Adds Gay Marriage to Massive Chalice, Thanks to Kickstarter

Hey PSU forumgoers! I'm sure very few of you remember me, but I used to work here. I write about crowdsourcing and crowdfunding now, but I still get to write a games piece here and there.

Anyway, I just penned a cool little story about an awesome studio (Double Fine) listening to its fans and taking risks, and thought it would be of interest to you fine folks.

Here's the piece: Double Fine Adds Gay Marriage to Upcoming Game, Thanks to Kickstarter

In Double Fine’s upcoming video game, Massive Chalice, you’ll control an immortal king or queen, ruling your realm and its inhabitants over the course of generations. Sometimes, that means forging marriages to benefit the kingdom and spawn new heroes.

Thanks to Kickstarter, if you want to couple up two fellas or ladies, that’ll be possible, too.

Project lead Brad Muir (pictured right) said he hadn’t even considered including same-sex marriage until the Double Fine team launched its crowdfunding campaign and received a slew of questions and suggestions about the topic.

“That was something I got kinda blindsided by,” Muir told games blog Rock Paper Shotgun. “That was really unfortunate. It kinda makes me feel ****ty that it’s not something I’d thought of. I think it’s sort of hetero privilege that I didn’t see it coming.”

But thanks to fan feedback, Muir rectified his oversight and guarantees Massive Chalice will feature gay couples.

“We’ve been talking about ways to actually incorporate gay marriage,” Muir continued. “One of the suggestions was to allow couples — male, female, or otherwise — to contribute to the good of the realm via means other than childbirth. So couples could raise children or research technology. That’s one interesting way to handle it.

“And it’s optional,” he added. “People can choose to engage it or not.”

The Kickstarter community has readily embraced Double Fine’s new project, with more than 22,000 backers contributing to the campaign. Massive Chalice is on track to become Double Fine’s second million-dollar Kickstarter, following last year’s hugely successful Double Fine Adventure campaign.

San Francisco-based Double Fine is one of the most prominent game development studios to abandon more traditional forms of financing in favor of crowdfunding. Remaining independent is critical to the team, as it allows for complete creative control. If a large publisher funded Massive Chalice instead of Double Fine’s fans, it’s unlikely the game would feature gay marriage because it remains a controversial issue.

And that, as Muir says, would “be super, super ****ty.”

Massive Chalice is expected to launch late next year for Windows, Mac, and Linux. The Kickstarter pitch video is available below for your viewing pleasure.
    What do you think of Double Fine's choice to add gay marriage to the game? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: I should add, if I didn't make it clear enough in my piece, that I wholly support Double Fine's decision. I think it's really cool how they're listening to their fans and implementing features like this that a publisher would avoid in an attempt to head off any controversy it might create.
    Last edited by Eric; 06-07-2013 at 20:13.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Something similar to this.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

3. Likes Foraeli likes this post
    Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    I've got no problem with it, if that's the game they want to make then so be it.
    I'm hoping for the day when stuff like this won't even be newsworthy.

Unbound Mercenary
    Honestly, keep this kind of crap out of video games. They throw it in everything, TV shows, video games, movies, its just getting annoying how they are cramming it down the throats of people that don't want to see it.

I'm probably the only person that feels this way, so I'll take my leave.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

6. Likes Beast of Bourbon likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I'm with Kwes.... i wonder how pairing two guys or girls will "spawn new heros"?!

Supreme Veteran

Who really cares, it's a video game and it is gay relationships

Makes no difference to me, as long as the story is strong and the gameplay is solid. I really could not care less if it was in or out

Thread Information