Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Anybody here from/been to Iceland?

Per the title, anybody here been to Iceland before? Or from there?

My wife and I, and 2 other good friends planned to stay in Iceland for a week at the beginning of September. Any traveling tips will be greatly appreciated!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I lived in Keflavik for two years.... it was so long ago though.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I lived in Keflavik for two years.... it was so long ago though.
    how was it? any suggestions? well be staying at rejkevik

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I was in Iceland recently. Make sure you go to the Blue Lagoon, it's an amazing hotspring about 45mins drive out from Reykjavik. Also, Iceland is VERY expensive, so you may want to take the supermarket approach to satiate your dietry needs.

Forum Guru
    Ghost is right, it's rather expensive.

I've been twice, once at new year 10 years ago and the other time in April 2 years ago. I love Iceland, hence going back. In terms of tourist attractions, it's a nice city to walk around but there are some things out of the city that you HAVE to see - Blue Lagoon, Gulfoss (waterfall) and the geysirs, where the tectonic plates meet and the Northern Lights.

I wasn't lucky enough to see the Northern Lights when I was there but you can book the trip and if you don't get to see them they will refund it. I also went on a glacier which was cool but that was on the trip 10 years ago and I don't remember it being as spectacular as the other things but don't just take my opinion.

The Pearl (Perlan) which is the massive dome building on top of the hill in Reykjavik is cool because it's got a rotating restaurant at the top and provides nice views. It is expensive and very up market, however.

In terms of the city, like I said it's a nice city to walk around but there are some things you should see like going to the top of the church in the centre. You get fantastic views of Reyjkavik at the top. I found both times that to see all the sights of Reykjavik I took a city tour but it depends on your budget, it's a short tour and you get to see everything you need to see in the city but it also costs. The other thing to do in the city is go to one of the geothermal swimming pools, that's a great experience and you don't need to do any kind of tour to go to them - you can find them on a city map.

When I've gone both times I have used Reykjavik Excursions (http://www.re.is/) and they have always been good, I think they're the main tour operator but there are others if you want to shop around a bit.

Also, one thing to consider, which I've experienced on both trips, is that some of the attractions are quite far to get to from the city and you'll be getting buses/coaches/jeeps to them and they can break down. It happened to me both times unfortunately and it can get cold in Iceland so always be prepared for that!

Overall, see as many things as you can. Iceland is a phenomenal place, I don't know of any place like it.

PSU Ghost Syndicate Corporation | Merc: Dorada Aquila | DUST PSN: smurf1191
    My first PSU article!

Thread Information