Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Looks Like The PS3 Has Finally Passed The 360 In Worldwide Sales Numbers.

It surpassed the 360 in shipped units back in January, and now it seems that it has finally surpassed the 360 in sales.

According to vgchartz at least.

This really warms my heart, considering the start they had.
    Last edited by Nuvian; 06-09-2013 at 01:13.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    It took a while but it finally happened! Congratulations Sony!

With the PS4 and Xbox One launching around the same time, I'm excited to see who's going to win the next generation.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvian View Post
    It surpassed the 360 in shipped units back in January, and now it seems that it has finally surpassed the 360 in sales.

According to vgchartz at least.

This really warms my heart, considering the start they had.

VGChartz retro fit their data, they have been proven to be wrong so many times its not funny.
    Dont bother using them as a source, although it likely has happened, I wouldn't point to them as a source.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    VGChartz retro fit their data, they have been proven to be wrong so many times its not funny.
    Dont bother using them as a source, although it likely has happened, I wouldn't point to them as a source.
    That is why i mentioned the fact that they had shipped more units in January.

I don't believe those numbers are much off.

Once more into the fray.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Probably pass Wii when it's all said and done lol. Not that it matters that much. So long as it continues to make them money I suppose

Power Member
    Items User name style
    That is why i mentioned the fact that they had shipped more units in January.

I don't believe those numbers are much off.
    No, I think you are right, but we have no concrete proof because a certain company decided to hide their numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Probably pass Wii when it's all said and done lol. Not that it matters that much. So long as it continues to make them money I suppose
    I think both might, MS has publicly stated they expect another 25 million units out of the 360.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    I'm with Mynd, i think in the end they will likely both wind up beating out the Wii. Interesting to see how long Sony and MS continue supporting them.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I'm with Mynd, i think in the end they will likely both wind up beating out the Wii. Interesting to see how long Sony and MS continue supporting them.
    Not for long I think. Let's say, if PS4 turns out to be around $400, I doubt people will still buy the PS3.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Not for long I think. Let's say, if PS4 turns out to be around $400, I doubt people will still buy the PS3.
    I think PS3 will be supported longer than the 360. Sony always supports their consoles for a while after the successor takes its place.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Well, since the PS4 isn't backward compatible, the PS3 will still keep strong sales in my opinion.

And considering the big list of great games from this generation available on it (exclusive and multiplatform), its a great Entertainment system for anyone that doesn't need the newest exclusives, I'm quite sure we will see many multiplat games being released on both the PS4 and PS3 for a long time ahead.
    Last edited by Nuvian; 06-09-2013 at 01:57.

Once more into the fray.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Well, since the PS4 isn't backward compatible, the PS3 will still keep strong sales in my opinion.

And considering the big list of great games from this generation available on it (exclusive and multiplatform), its a great Entertainment system for anyone that doesn't need the newest exclusives, I'm quite sure we will see many multiplat games being released on both the PS4 and PS3 for a long time ahead.
    You know that kind of makes me think if they didn't include backwards compatibility for that reason. I know keeping the console cost down is an obvious factor. But it makes sense to do something like this as a business tactic.

Forum Sage

Honestly, I think it passed the 360 sometime last year. It doesn't matter though. I did not expect to see the market shift this much this generation. We went from a 70% by 15% by 15% market share ratio in favor of Sony in previous generation to about a 36% by 32% by 32% market share ratio in favor of Nintendo for this generation. I will never again underestimate the consumer's demand for cheaply made and marketed goods and services.

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Finally. I can sleep better now.

Do you guys think that the Playstation 3 will reach 100 million lifetime sales? (With the PS4 coming out and all).

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    VG Chartz? Seriously? LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Last edited by Black; 06-09-2013 at 17:52. Reason: Merging.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim

True... forgot about the backward compatibility thing.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    About time! I mean I own both consoles but dang, PS3 has way better features than the Xbox! Free online gaming, a lot better graphics in some gaming genres, and the fact that the PS3 is just overall my favorite console!

Special thanks to zzKurozz for the Signature and Avatar!
    Prodigy - A young one, endowed with exceptional abilities.
    Currently Playing: MoH: Warfighter / Assassin's Creed 3 / GW2
    Waiting For: CoD: Black Ops 2 / Borderlands 2

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    This was announced in the news a few weeks back IIRC? As far as current gen support, EA has com out and said that it will support current gen until 2017.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    PS3 will properly have longer legs at the end. With all the heavy support from Sony and their 1st party studios we will see great titles on PS3 beyond 2014 (I think 2016 at least that would fit the 10year cycle plan). MS on the other hand. Well we know how they handled the original Xbox when Xbox 360 arrived. They dropped it like a hot potato. Have a strange feeling this will happen again. Sure multi plat games will still be released on Xbox 360 but you can bet their will be no love anymore from MS after Xbone is out of the doors. So yes i expected that the PS3 will out sale Xbox360 sometime.

Master Guru
    Congrats to Sony. It took them longer than we expected but they got it done with the PS3.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by bariton1 View Post
    PS3 will properly have longer legs at the end. With all the heavy support from Sony and their 1st party studios we will see great titles on PS3 beyond 2014 (I think 2016 at least that would fit the 10year cycle plan). MS on the other hand. Well we know how they handled the original Xbox when Xbox 360 arrived. They dropped it like a hot potato. Have a strange feeling this will happen again. Sure multi plat games will still be released on Xbox 360 but you can bet their will be no love anymore from MS after Xbone is out of the doors. So yes i expected that the PS3 will out sale Xbox360 sometime.
    Only thing that is difference was Xbox was fighting an uphill battle with PS2. 360 has a much higher fanbase than Xbox ever did. I think they will probably support it for 3 more years or so but I think PS3 will be around 5 more. Sony goes deep into generations. I guess we will see what MS does now that they have a very popular system.

Ultimate Veteran
    Sale numbers don't matter to me any more.but it nice seeing the ps3 in first place

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    The PS3 hardware sales pass the Xbox 360 just in time for it not to matter lol.

Superior Member
    Hardware numbers dont really do it for me. I'd prefer my favorite games sell more, but they rarely do. Mafia 1 was an awesome pc game but the sequel wasnt nearly as good. shenmue 2 was like $5 used a month after the game came out?? wth?

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Well given the negative xbox one backlash, I think their sales will take a dive and PS3 will rise. It would be the final nail in the coffin for Microsoft this year, especially after they screw up their E3 conference and try to work around the issues everyone has a problem with and tell them how they are benefiting with these silly policies.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Thread Information