Latest PSU headlines:

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast
    Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    PS+ offers something that can not be found anywhere else, and that is free games. You can argue that they are rented games but you get to keep them as long as you are still a PS+ subscriber.

I for one, don't really care about playing most games online, except for some of them. I hated the Idea that i have to pay to play online, but for me PS+ is a great service and it's not just there to play games online. I was one of the first people to subscribe to PS+ when they announced it and I'm still a subscriber and that won't change anytime soon.
    Didnt MS announce they are giving away free games now with Live? And they now have dedicated servers? Sony are going to need to give a hell of alot of free games away if they dont have dedicated servers on the go while charging the same price as Live.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Didnt MS announce they are giving away free games now with Live? And they now have dedicated servers? Sony are going to need to give a hell of alot of free games away if they dont have dedicated servers on the go while charging the same price as Live.
    they alredy have lost of free games for ps3 and vita

Superior Member
    I switched from Xbox Live to PSN because I got tired of paying for XBL. However, PS+ offers so many goodies - free games, discounts, free avatars, etc... that I ended up getting a PS+ account. It's not the worst thing in the world that you have to be a subscriber now to play online because you are getting a bunch of new features, and you still get your free games.

One thing to remember which should relieve some people: When you first get your PS4, there will be a promotion that you can get 90 days of PS+ for only $9.99... That's not bad at all. Compare that to $24.99 for XBL. Plus, you also can get PS+ for a small $5/month. That's one cup of coffee that you will finish in a few minutes.

In the end, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. It's a very small fee and Sony is bringing what us gamers really wanted - a system that is all about gaming, no DRM and a good opening price point for a next generation console.

PSN Gamertag: Kertiously

PS4 Coming Soon

XBL Gamertag: VoKeM

Xbox One Day One Member

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    PS+ gives you way more than what MS is offering. Also isn't PS+ $50/year whereas XBL is $60/year?

Me personally, I'd rather not pay a cent and just buy my games.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Mow one lawn a month.
    Where do you live? I will gladly pay you $5 to mow my lawn every month!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    PS+ gives you way more than what MS is offering. Also isn't PS+ $50/year whereas XBL is $60/year?

Me personally, I'd rather not pay a cent and just buy my games.
    Do you only need to pay PSN over 10 months rather than 12? I've only ever paid for PSN once and it was just for 3 months.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Its kind bad but I do love to have the PSN PLUS. I have subscribed to it since it came out.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

8. Likes Leviticus likes this post
    PSN ID
    DiscoMcDisco
    For those who don't already have PSPlus, I recommend it. They're not joking when you easily get your monies worth. The added side benefit will now be playing multiplayer. I'm one of the rare few that doesn't much, so the idea that i'm supporting Sony and the Developers bring a much more immersive online experience to the market.... well, it's the least I can do. Consider it like funding a really awesome indie developer and them continually bringing out new awesome games. The same is still true for the big boys, they're just only starting to realise it and not focus on the money side, but on the experience.

The more people who buy into PSPlus, the better the experience is going to get. That's enough in itself.

Veteran
    Guys we must remember that Sony is a corporation. That is what worries me about the quality of PS+ in the future. Like any corporation, when they feel they have gotten what they wanted, they begin to push the consumer to see how much they are willing to take. My concern is this. Now that multiplayer is behind the PS+ paywall, will Sony's PS+ incentives decrease over time. According to many users, PS+ is an amazingly valuable service that has all sorts of great features and incentives for you to upgrade to PS+ such as free games. I am concerned that as the number of PS+ users grow (it will grow by a lot), Sony will make less of an effort to appease Sony gamers. For example, look what has happened at MS. Xbox Live used to be $50. Then they raised it to $60. The number of users remained roughly the same. Because of competition, MS started offering free games. Now that Sony has tremendous momentum, I hope that they will use the extra money generated by PS+ to make PS+ even better than it is now and not just half ass it when they get the number of desired users and say "got ya."
    Resistance 2, KillZone 2, WarDevil, MGS4, God Of War 3, Final Fantasu XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, and a alot more, how can 2008 not be the PS3's year.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    PS+ will be purchased within the next 24 hours for me.

8 years and counting!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Phat View Post
    Guys we must remember that Sony is a corporation. That is what worries me about the quality of PS+ in the future. Like any corporation, when they feel they have gotten what they wanted, they begin to push the consumer to see how much they are willing to take. My concern is this. Now that multiplayer is behind the PS+ paywall, will Sony's PS+ incentives decrease over time. According to many users, PS+ is an amazingly valuable service that has all sorts of great features and incentives for you to upgrade to PS+ such as free games. I am concerned that as the number of PS+ users grow (it will grow by a lot), Sony will make less of an effort to appease Sony gamers. For example, look what has happened at MS. Xbox Live used to be $50. Then they raised it to $60. The number of users remained roughly the same. Because of competition, MS started offering free games. Now that Sony has tremendous momentum, I hope that they will use the extra money generated by PS+ to make PS+ even better than it is now and not just half ass it when they get the number of desired users and say "got ya."
    I see no reason why the PS+ wouldn't increase in quality starting out with PS4 and over time. The way things work, if you don't keep your user base happy, it doesn't pan out well in the grand scheme of things...unless you're not in it for the long haul and just want to get out with short-term profits.

Look at Steam, they sort of had a monopoly going and they offer the best value.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I don't mind at all. PSN will always be a step behind Xbox Live if it's free.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Do you only need to pay PSN over 10 months rather than 12? I've only ever paid for PSN once and it was just for 3 months.
    To my knowledge you can only buy 3 month and 1 year periods, and for 1 year it's $50 I think, so it's closer to $4/month really.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I wonder if you were part of the group who have ridiculed XBL Gold in the past. Cos those who have and then defend this are nothing more than hypocrites.
    I don't agree with it but don't think it can be fought.
    Trying to think of it as the price of Gakai

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I don't mind at all. PSN will always be a step behind Xbox Live if it's free.
    I don't think that's true. There's not a single thing Live had over PSN that couldn't be done at a software level (which is possible to do without a steady stream of income), don't believe me? Look at Vita. There's not much Live can add to their services that gamers truly want.

Ok so they had drastic changes in their dashboard...so what? Certain people liked the previous one, certain liked the new one. I see that as money being wasted. They got features, we got features. They just got more steady stream of features that weren't necessarily to do with gaming...as their most important features were there from the beginning.

There's no difference server-wise.

PSN will likely always be behind service/feature-wise because that's MS' focus, they will always oust Sony with more features, whether it's the ability to watch TV or have a Kinect focus or have more social features, they will always pack it more than the PSN.

Today's PSN was never behind in quality-wise, just feature/service-wise. Neither services had any connection issues.

Sony wants to charge us for the experience, not just online. They want to make sure that everyone online gets all the features (that's what I'm guessing...unless Gaikai is behind another pay wall). If they gave us too many options there, we'd have a varied service and thus varied quality. So if you have gaikai, it's pointless if your friend doesn't. right? so all online gaming will be consistent.

So if you're playing online, you know that everyone has the features you do.

before i go off topic of our discussion lol...the reason isn't money that was keeping Sony from making PSN as good as Live, it was the lack of planning and focus on features and services.

they couldn't change it mid-cycle due to OS issues. but no amount of money being charge would make PSN better if MS' focus is more on bulking their network with more services and features. Sony wants to provide services that pertain to gamers, because those services will take up RAM...so they would not want to oust Live, they want to focus on the fact that this service is to the point and is not bloated but has less media/social features.

That's perfect for me...i guess you could argue that this makes the service better.

P.S. Back to what I meant to say, yes, we could've had this service for free if it didn't have additional features like gaikai and sharing...some stuff we may not know of yet. Otherwise look at Vita, it's basic but sorta like Live and doesn't cost Sony much money so it's free.

it's not money that makes a service better unless that service has features that costs tons of money i.e. gaikai/cloud. Keeping servers for x-game-chat and regular service, while costs money, is not large enough to charge for it.

So I think gaikai will likely be included, i see no other reason for them to force this on us.

like i've been saying, this will keep the service quality consistent and i also think this is sony's answer to what MS is doing and i just realized how beautifully they did it...they're only segregating if you want to play online...so if you want to play online, you have all the features PS4 has to offer, thus the developer can assume that you have gaikai and use cloud features.

more reasons i believe gaikai will be included in that. but if not, i will be angry lol.
    Last edited by Omar; 06-11-2013 at 21:09.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    I don't agree with it but don't think it can be fought.
    Trying to think of it as the price of Gakai
    Has that been confirmed? I've been wondering that because I see a bunch of people saying they don't mind if they get Gaikai. I just don't ever remember hearing that it would be for that and not its own separate service.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Soldier 95B
    I am going to get both PS+ and XBL Gold. I have no problem paying for services rendered. The odd thing though is, I was belittled for enjoying my XBL Gold service and have no problem paying $38 a year for it. It was the same, tried and true comments like "I would never and will never pay to play online".

Suddenly though, it's ok.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Aw, someone got their jimmies ruffled and disliked my previous post. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not true. It's a far better deal than anything Live had before. All I can say is....deal with it? I'm rather pleased with EVERYTHING else they offered. This is minuscule, but you can harp on it all you want. It's not slowing down the train any though. Sorry.

I am quite happy with my existing PS+ plan. I was going to re-up anyway, due to it paying for itself 4 fold. Multiplayer is just a bonus now.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I am going to get both PS+ and XBL Gold. I have no problem paying for services rendered. The odd thing though is, I was belittled for enjoying my XBL Gold service and have no problem paying $38 a year for it. It was the same, tried and true comments like "I would never and will never pay to play online".

Suddenly though, it's ok.
    Who is saying this?

And I very highly doubt Gaikai streaming will be included in the $50 package, they'll definitely have tiers this time next year.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Has that been confirmed? I've been wondering that because I see a bunch of people saying they don't mind if they get Gaikai. I just don't ever remember hearing that it would be for that and not its own separate service.
    i'm thinking it has to be...thus the reason they're doing this pay wall...i think they're doing it for the same reasons MS is doing it 1) if you play online, you have these features so devs can utilize it knowing that you must have them. 2) these features such as cloud/gaikai cost money so they have to be behind a pay wall but if everyone who plays online, has them, it makes the service more consistent thus the quality is also more consistent.

sony basically may have just done it in a better way than ms.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Who is saying this?
    You have been here since 2007 and you never heard anyone say they would never pay to play online?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    I said it myself and am still saying it, hence why I'm not buying one, but other than me who are they?

Extreme Poster
    Soldier has a keen sense of seeing things from all perspectives thus he is 100% correct in his statements in this thread and beyond. If you think otherwise, he will just have to agree to disagree with you.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I'm not even looking at it as paying for multiplayer....I'm looking at it as paying for services it provides. Cloud saves, free games etc. People are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I mean $#@!, you get a free $60 game right off the bat with DriveClub. Pays for itself. People are so silly on here.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Finally makes PS+ worth its price for me.

Thread Information