Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Driveclub is free with PS4? or is it free with PS+?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I am going to get both PS+ and XBL Gold. I have no problem paying for services rendered. The odd thing though is, I was belittled for enjoying my XBL Gold service and have no problem paying $38 a year for it. It was the same, tried and true comments like "I would never and will never pay to play online".

Suddenly though, it's ok.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Soldier has a keen sense of seeing things from all perspectives thus he is 100% correct in his statements in this thread and beyond. If you think otherwise, he will just have to agree to disagree with you.
    Always the words of pure wisdom. You rock my world Sufi, you rock my world!

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Driveclub is free with PS4? or is it free with PS+?
    Free with PS+. It is the first IGC PS4 game.

5. Likes Omar likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I very rarely play online, but I'll be subscribing to PlayStation Plus when I get a PS4. I do have a PS Vita, so I could end up subscribing sooner.

I don't like having to pay to play online, but I'll do it. It's just something you have to deal with and it is part of the gaming future. I believe Sony will keep a cheaper option than the 1 year option.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I very rarely play online, but I'll be subscribing to PlayStation Plus when I get a PS4. I do have a PS Vita, so I could end up subscribing sooner.

I don't like having to pay to play online, but I'll do it. It's just something you have to deal with and it is part of the gaming future. I believe Sony will keep a cheaper option than the 1 year option.
    It won't be cheaper I'll tell you that lol. It will charge less money but that doesn't mean it's cheaper.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I said I wouldn't pay to play online, and had Sony suggested a service like live where all I'm getting for my sub is system features, I'd stick with PS3 and EVE. However, anyone who appreciates massive value and has experienced the wealth of games of the instant gams collection will always be a Plus sub. It's an absolute no brainer and if this isn't clear yet, it will be clear when subs start seeing access to the free games on PS3, 4 and Vita...and they will pay the sub gladly.

9. Likes unicron7 likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    It won't be cheaper I'll tell you that lol. It will charge less money but that doesn't mean it's cheaper.
    That's true. It just seems cheaper because the term is shorter.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Overseer
    That's true. It just seems cheaper because the term is shorter.
    True, I'll never find value in that...3 months sounds like an option if you have to have it on your summer vacation at your aunt's house.

Or you just aren't sure and wanna try it out...even then...i'd rather spend more time researching. But yea, people will always go for the shorter time sometimes, they feel like they don't have a choice if they go longer.

my friend had a month to month sub to WoW and he palyed it for years...he would rather pay $15/month knowing that he can cancel any time than to just get it for 6 month and get it for $12/mo but he never did it...well, i guess it's for people like that.

Superior Member
    Coming from the 360 it's fine with me. The addition of free stuff is an added bonus.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Master Poster
    Probably a dumb question but ps+ is for 1 account only right? not for multiple accounts on 1 system?
    do they give any multiple account discounts?

Apprentice
    Just dopping by to say: I love The Black Wolf's signature. That baby bunny/rabbit... sooooooo cute. I love cute things.

Oh yeah... Sony had to do at least ONE bull$#@! thing. So they thought "Well, we must include one bullcrap thing. So we better not include DRM. Let's make PSN a subscription based service so people have to pay for it!"

I think Sony should've made multiplayer (it's mool-tee-player, not "mul-tie-player") free and made special services subscription-based. Like advanced trophies or special connectivity services like skype or whatever.

Oh and by the way: 5 freaking dollars a month? That's 60 dollars a year! IIRC, an Xbox Live Gold subscription for one whole year is 35-40 dollars or so. Right? I hope Sony announces a subscription for 3 months, 6 months and 12 months so it's cheaper. Because if you have to pay each month individually, it'll be more expensive than Xbox Live.

Forum Sage
    Paying to play online isn't a big deal. People keep forgetting that both XBL and PSN are services - you don't need to buy them. People saying that online should be free is like saying my car should come with unlimited petrol because I bought the car.

I don't think I ever paid more than £25 for a year of XBL and hopefully it'll be the same on the PS4, price-wise. If someone is really going to make a big deal out of £25 they should get a better paid job.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by MBS D@v!d View Post
    Just dopping by to say: I love The Black Wolf's signature. That baby bunny/rabbit... sooooooo cute. I love cute things.
    Well that was $#@!ing random nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Paying to play online isn't a big deal. People keep forgetting that both XBL and PSN are services - you don't need to buy them. People saying that online should be free is like saying my car should come with unlimited petrol because I bought the car.

I don't think I ever paid more than £25 for a year of XBL and hopefully it'll be the same on the PS4, price-wise. If someone is really going to make a big deal out of £25 they should get a better paid job.
    You're paying for the wrong reasons then. I would never pay for online play only or software-driven features.

Once you make a unified system, it doesn't cost you any more or less than the one that doesn't have it...so why charge? The point is that with new generation, we have services like the cloud and that costs money as you go...so that makes total sense to pay.

Yes, Sony was paying for PSN too but not so much that they couldn't bare the cost. Just like developers bare the cost of servers, sometimes dedicated servers too.

Superior Member
    Items Dark Souls CoverPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by darksora View Post
    Probably a dumb question but ps+ is for 1 account only right? not for multiple accounts on 1 system?
    do they give any multiple account discounts?
    You only need one PS+ subscription per console. So you only buy it once and it covers all the accounts on the console.

Forum Overseer

I think we will find a lot more features than just free games and online play. I sort of want the share features and maybe there's more to gaikai than to play your buddy's game lol...if true then it's definitely worth it. just being able to play older games is worth it...maybe they will give us some freebie rentals there.

don't pay for it just for online play. if you aren't going to use it. i would suggest against it.

Forum Sage
    You're paying for the wrong reasons then. I would never pay for online play only or software-driven features.

Once you make a unified system, it doesn't cost you any more or less than the one that doesn't have it...so why charge? The point is that with new generation, we have services like the cloud and that costs money as you go...so that makes total sense to pay.

Yes, Sony was paying for PSN too but not so much that they couldn't bare the cost. Just like developers bare the cost of servers, sometimes dedicated servers too.
    Well see, you don't really have a choice if you want to play online. Sony sold you a PS4. It is your choice if you want the additional service. If you don't want it. Don't buy it.

Why charge for it? Because they can. It's not like you have the option to go anywhere else is it? That is the benefit of a closed system... For Sony. They got you where they want you.

Besides, now we are paying for something we are able to complain when something isn't as it should be

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Well see, you don't really have a choice if you want to play online. Sony sold you a PS4. It is your choice if you want the additional service. If you don't want it. Don't buy it.

Why charge for it? Because they can. It's not like you have the option to go anywhere else is it? That is the benefit of a closed system... For Sony. They got you where they want you.

Besides, now we are paying for something we are able to complain when something isn't as it should be
    Yes, and I think that they are doing it for strategic reasons...for which I agree with. I explained a bit about it earlier in this thread but just a little overview, they want to keep their services consistent in quality.

This is the reason why I never bought DLC, it wasn't because of the cost but because of the inconsistency.

So they segregate you at the door to make sure that if you are playing online, you have all these services as they're not just for you but they benefit others too if you have it.

For this reason and the extra goodies we're likely going to get (much more than the current PS+), I can understand the charge for online...same reason (and only reason I ever could come up with) I thought Live was worth the price. Not for the online play but for the unification of the system.

21. Likes FireSol likes this post
    Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I was gutted. Especially the sly way it was announced. Shame on you Sony for that, not cool.

You should not have to pay to play online, END OF STORY. You pay for your internet, you pay for your games, you pay for the console. You have paid your dues already. $#@! that $#@!. Massively let down by Sony on that one

And everyone defending this should take a long hard look at themselves
    You mean presenting it on a slide at the industry's largest conference of the year? Yeah, very slyly done /sarcasm

Seriously, it may not have been their most focal point of the briefing, and why should it be? It's not going to be the most positive news to some (I'm actually of the mind that this is actually a positive move, but each to their own) and so perhaps they didn't want to make a big song and dance about it. I don't feel however that they were sly in how they revealed it.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    At least it will hopefully improve their servers. Server infrastructure cost a $#@!load of money.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    You mean presenting it on a slide at the industry's largest conference of the year? Yeah, very slyly done /sarcasm
    Nope I mean the "and single player is free..." soundbite. Where was this slide saying hey guys now you're paying for MP??

Reign in that sarcasm fella, it's getting you nowhere on this one. That goes for anyone arguing the case for online paywalls, just showing yourselves up

Forum Guru
    For 5 bucks a month I might give it a try. The buzz about PS+ being better than Xbox Live made me curious.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanehead View Post
    For 5 bucks a month I might give it a try. The buzz about PS+ being better than Xbox Live made me curious.
    It's not better lol but it definitely will be adequate enough on the PS4.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Nope I mean the "and single player is free..." soundbite. Where was this slide saying hey guys now you're paying for MP??

Reign in that sarcasm fella, it's getting you nowhere on this one. That goes for anyone arguing the case for online paywalls, just showing yourselves up
    Well, 'fella', I'm not sure if this screen is big enough for you, or if Jack Tretton is high profile enough for you to take note when he explicitly calls it out when discussing Playstation+ features during the briefing, but to me it's looked pretty clear, unambiguous, and not sly.

http://youtu.be/NOoJ6ucEY8g?t=1h28m26s (I've even scrubbed it to the relevant point for you - thank me later)

You might not see the benefit of a pay-for online service, but that's only because you don't understand the benefits of stream dollar investment in key infrastructure and service development, versus trying to remain cost neutral and innovative within tight constrains (i.e. your online service has to be paid for out of the game and console revenue streams and is therefore a negative balance on the books).

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Forum Overseer

29. Likes BBK.. likes this post

Thread Information