Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

E3 2013: Killer Instinct Is a Fun Free to Play Xbox One Launch Game

Killer Instinct was always sort of dumb -- the goofy Mortal Kombat knock-off with a skeleton, a dinosaur, and dudes named TJ Combo (ugh) and Fulgore (what?). In hindsight, Killer Instinct was kind of embarrassing. But we still connected to it. Who doesn’t want to see a ninja fist-fight a werewolf?

Killer Instinct on Xbox One is still really, really stupid. It’s also pretty awesome.

More Street Fighter IV than traditional Killer Instinct in speed and style, this reboot isn’t just looking at how it can bring Rare’s classic back to life, but how it can reinvigorate it. The 2D fighter has changed significantly since 1994, and developer Double Helix recognizes it.

Killer Instinct is fast on Xbox One, unrecognizably so. Aside from the presence of Sabrewulf (ugh) and Jago (what?), you might mistake this for an entirely new game. The bright colors, and thick, black outlines give the characters, who take up a healthy amount of on-screen real estate, a comic book-style shade. Their combos are quick and flow naturally -- I found myself slipping into an awesome combo accidentally, Marvel vs. Capcom style, often.

The move sets are simple, the stylish and devastating Ultra Combos are easy to execute, and the Combo Breaker makes you feel like a badass. It’s basically just a parry with a fancy name, but Killer Instinct regards it so highly that it’s hard not to feel the surge of satisfaction every time you escape an onslaught of frightening kicks. Every big counter feels like an event, and it can totally change the flow of a fight when your opponent's left exposed after your escape.

Familiar, yes, but this is definitely Killer Instinct done differently (and arguably better).

Killer Instinct is a day-one digital-only release on Xbox One, and features -- get this -- one character. Jago is free to play on launch day. Everyone else -- unspecified returning characters as well as original fighters -- will cost money. Price is to-be-determined (of course).

Is this the start of a new trend? With Xbox Live Arcade vanishing into the greater Games Marketplace, perhaps free-to-play is the new trial version, and you'll nickel and dime your way to a more complete version. Hopefully trials of some sort will still mandated so players can try out everything as it hits Xbox Live.

IGN will have more on Killer Instinct leading up to its November release.
    http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...ne-launch-game
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 06-11-2013 at 09:52.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I'd rather pay full price for a complete game

Via Tapatalk

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Yea just read this on ign lol wtf? Well ms apologist have fun with this one

You only get jago and the rest of the roster, you'll have to pay for them

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Things just keep getting worse out of the MS camp. Not many will look at this very likely, as myself included am disgruntled. I have waited years for a full complete Killer Instinct title but if they are pulling this crap it looks like my wait is still ongoing.

8 years and counting!

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Loved k.i.in the arcade...good game with ridiculous combo ability's. Jago is also the best character in the game combo wise. i remember hitting a nice 80 chain combo with him..wonder if eyedol will make an appearence as a playable character..probably cost a tenna lol.

6. Likes John25 likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Ugh. I dislike f2p a LOT.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    This is just dumb. May as well just release the game on disk day 1 - let it get some decent exposure instead of releasing it essentially as a glorified demo that people pay money for characters. sooo soo bad

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    Hu ? Wth ? If you go F2P then it should be full F2P for all characters. Itīs like when u play Leagues of Legends but only have access to 3 champs and the rest of the 47 cost money oO There is properly a much better way to earn some cash like charge for new skins, arenas, taunts, heck even new super-special-ultra-1000 hit moves would fit. But that ... seems not very clever. But who knows maybe it will rock so good that everyone will fall in love just by playing with one dude named Jago.

Soldier 95B
    Day one. I really like the F2P options. Looking forward to seeing more this next gen from both camps.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Day one. I really like the F2P options. Looking forward to seeing more this next gen from both camps.
    I am against it. This game could be epic, but this is pathetic to me. Unless of course, it is a quality game that should be a disc/dig for $60. Then if I can f2p $60 for the entire game, I'll be ok with that.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    That's really stupid. What a gimmicky way to present such an epic game. It's sad to see this kind of $#@!.

Superior Member

How the hell can this be spun as a bad thing? It's FREE to play for as long as you like. After that, you have the option to spend more money if you want (or not).

I play a handful of free to play games in various places and I have never spent any money for 100s of hours of entertainment. Not great for the devs, but I bet they would change their model if they weren't making money on it.

If you are that opposed to it just buy the whole damn thing without playing it. That will show them.

The things some people complain about....

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    That's really stupid. What a gimmicky way to present such an epic game. It's sad to see this kind of $#@!.
    Yeah kinda taken the shine of it a little bit lol

But I guess it's not like I'd really own the game if I purchased at $60 anyway

I kid, I kid

Elite Member
    I really liked Killer Instinct lets hope no other devs from both camps follow this epic failure. How are you gonna say its free to play but to play you have to buy the fighters. Why not release the game free with all the classic characters then offer dlc for new stages and characters
    Last edited by hood; 06-11-2013 at 14:39.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

16. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    What the $#@!? This is so...

lovely.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by justsayin View Post
    How the hell can this be spun as a bad thing?
    You only have one character to play.

At least the new Free-To-Play Tekken gives you 8 characters to start.

Elite Guru

Am so disappointed in MS right now I just can't believe the choices they're making!!!
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

20. Likes Justin likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    You are not alone!

8 years and counting!

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    How much is MS paying you? Seriously!
    All your comments sound exactly like a viral marketer

23. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    WTF?! Seriously?! This is about like Capcom times 1000X. I thought having DLC on disc was terrible. This whole game is DLC basically. I don't think anyone saw this coming! I can see this game failing bad. Such an awesome franchise too. Hate to see it devalued to this.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    How much is MS paying you? Seriously!
    All your comments sound exactly like a viral marketer
    Paying me? I guess the same that Sony is paying me to play Dust 514 F2P. NOTHING.

But if Sony and MS want to pay me to play games I enjoy, SIGN ME UP!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Am so disappointed in MS right now I just can't believe the choices they're making!!!
    Yep same here. What a trainwreck.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    I'm surprised anyone cares enough to worry about the F2P issues, from what they showed yesterday the game looks like ass, this generation ass at that. KI had two things going for it on N64, it had whacky fighters, and it was entirely prerendered which gave it a unique look, it was a bit like the action figures you had as a kid came to life. Of course there were several copy cats at about that time, but KI was first. Now it just looks like any other 3D fighter these days, and almost all of them are looking like ass. For some reason DOA seems to have become the template for the modern 3D fighter, and the genre has suffered. Tekken and Soul Cailbre in particular have been in decline, Tekken 6 was almost offensive. Except for Street Fighter 4 and maybe Injustice 3D fighters have been terrible this generation.

Soldier 95B
    It looks fun as $#@! to me, and looked great.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    I'm surprised anyone cares enough to worry about the F2P issues, from what they showed yesterday the game looks like ass, this generation ass at that. KI had two things going for it on N64, it had whacky fighters, and it was entirely prerendered which gave it a unique look, it was a bit like the action figures you had as a kid came to life. Of course there were several copy cats at about that time, but KI was first. Now it just looks like any other 3D fighter these days, and almost all of them are looking like ass. For some reason DOA seems to have become the template for the modern 3D fighter, and the genre has suffered. Tekken and Soul Cailbre in particular have been in decline, Tekken 6 was almost offensive. Except for Street Fighter 4 and maybe Injustice 3D fighters have been terrible this generation.
    I played it way before it was consoles. Arcade my friend, arcade.

Thread Information