Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Poster
    Items User name style

Is Insomniac finished?

Not sure if this is the best spot to discuss it, but why not, lots of activity.

Ok.

Insomniac went fully independent of Sony, and their very first game outside of the Sony umbrella, Fuse tanked quite unceremoniously. And now their new game for the XBox One...what the hell was that? Sunset Overdrive? Does anyone expect something that looks like that to resonate with the Call of Duty/Bro crowd that makes up a large portion of the Xbox demographic?

Let's be real, it looked like trash.

They're straying further and further from their roots, but I'm not entirely sure why. It's not as though when they worked with Sony, that Sony would ever deny their ideas. That's not the type of publisher they are, by all accounts from their first party studios or even outside indie developers.
    Last edited by RedOrb_Collector; 06-12-2013 at 07:22.

2. Likes Zswordsman, DarkNemesis likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Maybe they grew too much out of control? They just don't seem to be the same Insomniac. They're totally unfocused. From what I hear, after All 4 One the company just went downhill...
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    Maybe they grew too much out of control? They just don't seem to be the same Insomniac. They're totally unfocused. From what I hear, after All 4 One the company just went downhill...
    What in particular did you hear regarding that?

Elite Member
    There were some good ideas/things in Fuse, but just some mediocre game design.

Sunset Overdrive. . . yeah. . . I was really underwhelmed by that also. It looked like a downloadable XBLA title.

Edit: They're not finished. I think they're still very talented, just. . . not executing properly.

We'll see with Sunset Overdrive.
    Last edited by LastManDancing; 06-12-2013 at 08:00.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    I liked the look of Sun set Drive. Looked like a fun little game. Definitely looked like an online download type game though (Xbox live or PSN if it wasn't exclusive). It looks like it will be a fun "lite" game, but I don't imagine it will have an easy time on the microsoft console. They like the halo and COD bro type games. This looks more like something my friends and I would sit around and play together, which isn't what I see xbox gamers being interested in. I hope I'm wrong, and wish Insomniac the best of luck. Going exclusive is a bad choice for them now, it would be better to go multi-platform as far as I'm concerned, but they are a talented studio and I don't want to see a series of flops knock them out of the market.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Elite Sage
    I really don't care for Sunset Overdrive. Of course actual gameplay videos can change that but for now, no interest at all.
    But I like to defend Insomniac for one thing: FUSE originally was going to look more fun, more cartoon like. Then they changed it because of some 12-year old kids testing the game and saying that its a game for their little brothers.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I love them as developers, FUSE is their first game I haven't bought.

It seems like they've lost touch. Shame too.

I hope they, or someone else continue Ratchet

9. Likes DarkNemesis likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name style
    If they make a proper Ratchet and Clank on PS4 i will buy it. Other than that i dont think i will buy anything from them.

11. Likes Two4DaMoney , DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    If they make a proper Ratchet and Clank on PS4 i will buy it. Other than that i dont think i will buy anything from them.
    That's exactly how I feel. A new Ratchet should be in the works to go along side the movie coming in 2015.

I'll be there day one if they don't ruin it.

Super Elite
    It's because they used to be friendly rivals with Naughty Dog, even borrowing their Jak engine to create Ratchet... and then PS3, that $#@!ty $#@!, came along.

When they lived on the PS2 they were equals, partners, faithful lovers who loved each other unconditionally. Then with the PS3 Naughty Dog realized it could be stronger. Faster.

Greater.

"BUT WAIT!" cried Insomniac. "REMEMBER ALL THE TIMES WE HAD? REMEMBER THOSE TIMES, HUH? WHEN WE WERE SPYRO AND CRASH? RATCHET AND JAK?"

But Naughty Dog just wouldn't listen. "I'm sorry, babe..." it said, while flexing its Uncharted muscles for the first time. "Resistance just... it just... It kind of sucks, babe."

Then Sucker Punch, who had always been eying Naughty Dog, the $#@!, started to show off her electrical prowess. Naughty Dog tried to be a gentleman, but couldn't look away... Sucker Punch was electrifying. Insomniac was distraught.

"I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME!" she cried, and started to sob and heave like some nasty-ass alien that no one wanted to touch, let alone look at.

As the days passed Naughty Dog seized greatness, and Sucker Punch joined him, and Insomniac, abandoned and confused,fell further and further behind, until the only choice left was to leave PS3, and Sony--forever.

Since then Insomniac has become a timid alcoholic incapable of creativity, joy, or decent gameplay, lying around the house, staring absently at pictures of Nathan Drake, and eating out of tubs of ice cream. It's only downhill from here.

SO HOW ABOUT THAT SECOND SON FOOTAGE, HUH?
    Last edited by Forcedme; 06-12-2013 at 15:29.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcedme View Post
    It's because they used to be friendly rivals with Naughty Dog, even borrowing their Jak engine to create Ratchet... and then PS3, that $#@!ty $#@!, came along.

When they lived on the PS2 they were equals, partners, faithful lovers who loved each other unconditionally. Then with the PS3 Naughty Dog realized it could be stronger. Faster.

Greater.

"BUT WAIT!" cried Insomniac. "REMEMBER ALL THE TIMES WE HAD? REMEMBER THOSE TIMES, HUH? WHEN WE WERE SPYRO AND CRASH? RATCHET AND JAK?"

But Naughty Dog just wouldn't listen. "I'm sorry, babe..." it said, while flexing its Uncharted muscles for the first time. "Resistance just... it just... It kind of sucks, babe."

Then Sucker Punch, who had always been eying Naughty Dog, the $#@!, started to show off her electrical prowess. Naughty Dog tried to be a gentleman, but couldn't look away... Sucker Punch was electrifying. Insomniac was distraught.

"I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME!" she cried, and started to sob and heave like some nasty-ass alien that no one wanted to touch, let alone look at.

As the days passed Naughty Dog seized greatness, and Sucker Punch joined him, and Insomniac, abandoned and confused,fell further and further behind, until the only choice left was to leave PS3, and Sony--forever.

Since then Insomniac has become a timid alcoholic incapable of creativity, joy, or decent gameplay, lying around the house, staring absently at pictures of Nathan Drake, and eating out of tubs of ice cream. It's only downhill from here.

Ultimate Veteran
    Insomniac is done stick a folk. the only way they can get back in good graces with us is make an awesome fall of man game

Soldier 95B
    Sunset Overdrive looked awesome as hell.

What do u mean by dude bro?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    That's exactly how I feel. A new Ratchet should be in the works to go along side the movie coming in 2015.

I'll be there day one if they don't ruin it.
    I wouldn't hold my breath. In fact, they might try to force Sony to pay for exclusive right or they will make it a maulti-platform title, I hate these ungrateful 3rd developers.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcedme View Post

Greater.

That was hilarious!

I don't know how, Sunset Overdrive will fair but it does look more like their style. I just hope that it's a fun game or I don't know what their future will hold. Fuse was a disaster all together and yet they're planning a sequel?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    Sunset Overdrive is the most interesting looking thing Insomniac has done for a while. Fuse is actually the third in a series of subpar games from them. Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One was kinda mediocre, probably better suited to being a PSN download and Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault is kind of a joke, especially the extremely late Vita port. Fuse looked promising when it was an over the top cartoony co-op shooter, but they removed all the personality from it and made it just one more bland game.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Well thank God they're still independant because I think Sunset Overdrive will flop harder than FUSE.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Well thank God they're still independant because I think Sunset Overdrive will flop harder than FUSE.

good, that's what they deserve for sleeping with the enemy, lol.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

Flaw3d Genius
    Apart from R&C games they have done nothing worth of note in the last 7 years. Average dev team

Elite Member
    i'm so glad sony did not buy them. they went to dark side of multiplatform games they may never be the same.

Veteran
    Fuse and Sunset Overdrive are from their new North Carolina studio and they are absolute drek. Trying the Fuse demo, I kept asking myself if the wayback machine took me back 10 years. Sunset Overdrive really looks bad. They probably have been working on a next gen title in their Burbank studio but it's probably pre-alpha. So, don 't write them off just yet, they probably have one more chance coming.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Insomniac finished? They have been on life support in the last few years and that's just a fact.

New IPs are always welcome though and I'm looking forward to seeing more from Sunset Overdrive. There is still magic left at that studio, I'm certain of it!

26. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    At first glance I thought Sunset Overdrive was a sequel to Pain. Lol I think the awesome scenario Forcedme put out pretty much puts it into a nice perspective. It seems like a last ditch effort to see if they will be more appreciated by MS. Don't see them hanging on too much longer.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Should've stayed exclusive.

In all honesty - no. They'll be around. For how much longer depends on if they want to get pushed around by their publisher(s) of choice.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Didnt they make resistances as well?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information