Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    I Said this in another thread...

but MS can have the Fastest Super-Cloud in the world, but it doesnt mean $#@! when the AVG. BANDWIDTH speeds in the US is 8mbps.

MS is trying its hardest to avoid telling everyone this:

there are limitations to what processes can be offloaded to a remote computer, due to latency and bandwidth

Last edited by SomaXD; 06-13-2013 at 03:49.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ANDYENG
    My internet in the UK is 3mb/s. It couldn't run onlive without serious lag. I wounder if I can even use this cloud technology that Microsoft wants to push.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ANDY View Post
    My internet in the UK is 3mb/s. It couldn't run onlive without serious lag. I wounder if I can even use this cloud technology that Microsoft wants to push.
    MS Cloud requires 1.5mb.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by NextGenGamer2000 View Post
    No. Unfortunately not. Half the data is magnitude more than pictures(finished) data compressed.

And you run into tons of other issues.

Physics in server is very limited. This is one of the reason, Elder Scroll Online will never be like true Elder Scroll. Bethesda is trying to mimic it, but mimic is about it. Last I heard they are bit struggling with even hit detection. As for your examples, I would like to know the extent.

DF wonderfully describes this issue in why. This cloud compute will never do what MS PR team bragged as magical graphics improvement, but dedicated servers alone is very significant. It will end to so many issues online and provide always consistent experience on Xbox One.
    I think Bad company 2 destruction is handled by the server too. If it was client side it could be calculated different and look different for other players also if it was client side and a player wasn't in that area that got destroyed how the hell would that client know what happened there?

HL2-DM the movaeble physics is the things that can be moved by gravity gun, toilets radiators, wheels, girders, fences, barrels and even the grenades, armour and health packs.
    IT means if laggy its possible to miss time grenade kills quite easily due to the server handling the timing of the grenade not the client.

When the cloud is involved I do not think physics or AI data is sent to or from either machine to be calculated its all done on one end (client or server) then the positional data (which may get compressed) is sent over the network.
    Which I gather is how most dedicated server systems have worked for a long time

Improving graphics I cant see that happening much, if at all.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-13-2013 at 12:05.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    MS Cloud requires 1.5mb.
    1.5MB/s or 1.5mbps (people are aware its not remotely the same right?)
    so if MS' cloud requires 1.5megabytes per second... you would have to have a connection rate of 12megabits per second (again average in the US is only 7.2mbps)

This means that whatever cloud computing power is available, consoles will have available to them an average of 1MB/s a second of processed data. If we compare that to the sort of bandwidth consoles are used to, the DDR3 of Xbox One is rated at around 68,000MB/s, and even that wasn't enough for the console and had to be augmented with the ESRAM.
    with the fact that the console itself processes 68GB/s or 68,000MB/s what useful processes can be offloaded to the cloud to process and send back if youre only receiving 1.5MB/s?
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post
    I Said this in another thread...

but MS can have the Fastest Super-Cloud in the world, but it doesnt mean $#@! when the AVG. BANDWIDTH speeds in the US is 8mbps.

MS is trying its hardest to avoid telling everyone this:

there are limitations to what processes can be offloaded to a remote computer, due to latency and bandwidth

People are also trying hard to avoid MS saying this:

cloud assets will be used on “latency-insensitive computation” within games. “There are some things in a video game world that don’t necessarily need to be updated every frame or don’t change that much in reaction to what’s going on,” said Booty. “One example of that might be lighting,” he continued. “Let’s say you’re looking at a forest scene and you need to calculate the light coming through the trees, or you’re going through a battlefield and have very dense volumetric fog that’s hugging the terrain. Those things often involve some complicated up-front calculations when you enter that world, but they don’t necessarily have to be updated every frame. Those are perfect candidates for the console to offload that to the cloud—the cloud can do the heavy lifting, because you’ve got the ability to throw multiple devices at the problem in the cloud.” This has implications for how games for the new platform are designed.

They KNOW latency is an issue. Seriously, do people think Sony and MS are oblivious to the barriers facing them? They know the average, hell MOST, internet users do not have low latency connections. They are not going to support, or make a game that relies on having a flawless connection, they are merely dumping processes out that can be calculated at the start of a mission, or MP match, whatever.

Not defending MS, or Sony for that matter if they choose to use Gaikai in a similar facet. I am merely reminding people that MS has said this is not for real time rendering or a boost in graphics. They have merely said it is a means to do math that can be offloaded.
    LMAO

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    People are also trying hard to avoid MS saying this:

They KNOW latency is an issue. Seriously, do people think Sony and MS are oblivious to the barriers facing them? They know the average, hell MOST, internet users do not have low latency connections. They are not going to support, or make a game that relies on having a flawless connection, they are merely dumping processes out that can be calculated at the start of a mission, or MP match, whatever.

Not defending MS, or Sony for that matter if they choose to use Gaikai in a similar facet. I am merely reminding people that MS has said this is not for real time rendering or a boost in graphics. They have merely said it is a means to do math that can be offloaded.
    of course they know, but that doesnt change the fact that they try and spin it to sound more magical than it is... therein lies the problem... its not going to be some amazing magical XB1 x4 processing power super cloud... which is what they are making it seem to the average consumer
    Vanik Tetsu'ya

Thread Information