Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    That's $#@!ing awesome! F2P is still F2P on PS4. I hope that includes DUST 514 and Warframe too.
    Yeah it's refreshing to not have that kinda stuff as well as apps thrown behind the paywall as well

Forum Sage

So, DRM after all. I knew they had something up their sleeves. It's nice to know that some games will require PS+ to play online. For the record and just so I've made my point perfectly clear. Paying to play is its own form of DRM. You're paying to play and you're still subject to a rigid terms of use agreement. Gotta love the "openness" of these consoles.

/sarcasm

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    People have a point that paying for online multiplayer is kind of like DRM in that they're getting you to pay for using a game. However, the money for the online multiplayer capability will all be going to Sony rather than publishers (unless Sony somehow does revenue sharing with the publishers, which I doubt). In any case, I just can't get to excited/upset about this. PS+ is such a ridiculous value with the free games and such and in this case you don't even have to have it to still use Netflix and other online services (unlike with the 360 where you can't even browse the web or watch their "free" videos without a Gold membership!). It just doesn't seem the same to me at all.

I for one, will gladly pay a small fee like this in order to help improved my online experience and fund new features, etc. I was surprised that Sony kept the online for free with the PS3 all this time. I also think that things like Gaikai service will be funded by this as well. Yeah, I still expect to have to buy a Gaikai game (or rent it, or whatever) but the basic access to the service will be covered by PS+ most likely as well. I'm good with it.

I also understand that some may just not be able to afford PS+ regardless. The good thing here is that everything EXCEPT for online multiplayer will still be available to those folk. And honestly, I'm sure that if someone buys a game that has online play, they CAN probably afford another $5 to activate PS+ for a month so that they can play that game for a month, or even $10 so they can play it for two.

I also expect that SOME games will use P2P for their online play like Dark Souls, and those games should be unaffected by the need to have PS+. Just conjecture, but it makes sense.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

I'm quoting 2 people here. ps+ free games going to dry up and pc players don't pay to play online. and access to gaikai there's not going to be a lot that doesn't cost on there. so I'm paying for the share button which I'll never press.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy psu View Post
    I'm quoting 2 people here. ps+ free games going to dry up and pc players don't pay to play online. and access to gaikai there's not going to be a lot that doesn't cost on there. so I'm paying for the share button which I'll never press.
    Yep, I'm never gonna use those features which is what bugs me the most. The basic MP should be free and all those features should be under PS+.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

6. Likes 33x likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    There's really no guarantee that the free games will dry up. If anything, they will be leveraged even more to drive membership up as the PS4 penetrates the market. I'll be more concerned if, come time for PS5, then the carpet starts to roll up on PS+ deals.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Yep, I'm never gonna use those features which is what bugs me the most. The basic MP should be free and all those features should be under PS+.
    Bingo

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Now that wasn't so hard now was it. Strait forward, so that we can make a decision at our leisure.
    I payed for live every now and then so I suppose it wont be an issue here.
    I started fiddling around with that idea last night because I feel the same way. One has to wonder why they would do this instead? I feel in a way it may cause fragmentation of sorts maybe? I have plus, see a friend is online playing COD, I'm playing The Divide. I try to chat with them and they can't respond because the don't have plus. Not the best of example scenarios but something along them lines perhaps?? Now that I think of it that sounds silly probably, especially considering there will be things like f2p you can do without plus. hmm....

if you want to play online there's not a lot of difference between ps4 and xbone. edit: actually xbone has now got dedicated servers for all games.
    ps I'm not m$ fanboy never had an Xboxand I hate windows.
    Last edited by lazy psu; 06-12-2013 at 20:00.

Master Sage
    if you want to play online there's not a lot of difference between ps4 and xbone. edit: actually xbone has now got dedicated servers for all games.
    ps I'm not m$ fanboy never had an Xboxand I hate windows.
    Xbone requires an internet connection for anything you do, i wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

^ but if you predominantly play online multiplayer like i do permanently online is not a problem but dedicated servers is a huge plus with the xbone, just something for people to think about.

Master Sage
    ^ but if you predominantly play online multiplayer like i do permanently online is not a problem but dedicated servers is a huge plus with the xbone, just something for people to think about.
    Too much of a risk, if i move house or the internet goes down or we get another huge storm that takes out internet for weeks on end then i can't play. Not to mention MS could kill their servers at any point be it when Xbox two comes out or if they give up and leave the console market and you are left with an extremely large paper weight.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    I started fiddling around with that idea last night because I feel the same way. One has to wonder why they would do this instead? I feel in a way it may cause fragmentation of sorts maybe? I have plus, see a friend is online playing COD, I'm playing The Divide. I try to chat with them and they can't respond because the don't have plus. Not the best of example scenarios but something along them lines perhaps?? Now that I think of it that sounds silly probably, especially considering there will be things like f2p you can do without plus. hmm....
    Cross game chat is free on PSVita.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    I had PS+ for 2 years and was very happy with it, i dont really mind it being needed for multiplayer, its quite logical though, since it goes up against a similar subscription from Microsoft.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Oh well. It was a silly jab at a theory.

I have been wanting to try PS+ but haven't because I have a feeling I will like it too much (and without a steady income at the moment I'd have to kick myself for it )

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Also allows Skype calls while gaming lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran
    I don't mind paying to play on line Sony will make more money to off set the ps4 awesome price of 399

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I told you guys it was gonna happen. No way they could sustain without it. Now that money can go towards thhe service to make it even better.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I told you guys it was gonna happen. No way they could sustain without it. Now that money can go towards thhe service to make it even better.
    If it remained bareboned like the ps3 service, I don't think they would have charged but now on the ps4 they added compelling features that warrants the pay wall

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    There's really no guarantee that the free games will dry up. If anything, they will be leveraged even more to drive membership up as the PS4 penetrates the market. I'll be more concerned if, come time for PS5, then the carpet starts to roll up on PS+ deals.
    Very true. Where's the evidence or information ANYWHERE that points to the free games drying up? Why didn't they dry up THIS gen when PS+ wasn't even "mandatory" so certainly fewer people were using it? With Sony's focus on indie devs they could keep even just giving the less expensive indie games away and keep it going. Saying that will go away when a company has said it's a core part of their product they are selling is nothing but pure, unadulterated FUD. People crack me up. Is MS only going to give their free games away with Gold for a few months or a year just to get people hooked? MS if anyone, is in more of a position to do that because their online service is more of a mandatory thing. Nope, MS won't do that and neither will Sony.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

22. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Superior Member
    Items Dark Souls CoverPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    If it remained bareboned like the ps3 service, I don't think they would have charged but now on the ps4 they added compelling features that warrants the pay wall

You're exactly right. PSN on PS4 is going to be such an upgrade with a lot of awesome feature, and I have no problem playing a little bit of money for that. I realize some people would rather things just stay simple and free, but after reading a ton of people's opinions on multiple website, it really seems like most people don't mind the extra fee if it give them a better service with a lot of value, which PS+ will do. I'm just happy Sony is doing it right and not putting services like netflix and hulu behind a paywall.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Features that I won't use.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I'm not amused Yoshida, I'm not amused at all! I do not buy for a second that the PSN infrastructure requires a subscription charge to break even, just as I never believed it about XBL. It's bull$#@!.
    It's more believable on PSN. The specific reason it's bull$#@! on XBL is that even though you pay a subscription, you still get ads.

Superior Member
    Items Dark Souls CoverPS3 Slim
    Features that I won't use.
    So basically you want all the features you will use to be free and all the features that don't interest you to cost money? That's not how things work. Here's yet another Yoshida response to the whole fee thing in an article I found on GAF.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-improvements/

Here's a quote from it.
    That's [was] a big decision," he said, "what we internally discussed and decided is that we will continue the free access to online play on PS3 and Vita, so that's clear. But because on PS4 the online connectivity features such as second screen, auto downloads and share features - these are one big pillar of the PS4 experience and we will continue to invest in this area to expand and improve these online features and services

If we keep giving away online access for free, the natural pressure is that we have to cut down on the cost to provide this free service. But that's conflicting with our goal of being able to provide very robust and great online services going forward. So we decided that on PS4, because we want to continue to invest and improve our new services, we've asked the most engaged consumers in the online activities to share the burden with us so that we can continue to invest.
    I honestly think that's a fair thing for Sony to say and do. I know there's still going to be some people that don't get it and think it's so easy for Sony to run PSN for basically nothing, but that's just not the case. I'm sorry that some people don't want free games, better downloading services, cross game chat, and just a better PSN all together. Would everybody prefer things to be free? Of course we all would, but that just can't happen because things cost money even if you don't believe it's very expensive, it still cost money.

The important thing is Sony knows that asking you to get PS+ is a big deal and they are trying to give you value for that. Maybe people see the worth of that value differently, but you can't please everybody. I personally feel that PSN needs to improve and I find the new features on the PS4 interesting and I don't mind having to pay a little bit a month to get an awesome online service, and this is coming from a college student that doesn't have a lot of money. Sure not everybody will feel the same way, and that's fine, but it certainly seems like the majority gets it and they are fine with paying a fee for a better PSN.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOnyx View Post
    So basically you want all the features you will use to be free and all the features that don't interest you to cost money? That's not how things work.
    Well it did on PS3. I wasn't interested in the features PS+ brought and so never bought it. All I want to do is play the game that I just paid $60 for online. Defend Sony all you want but at the end of the day they're not getting my money after this decision. Simple as that. I'll be getting my entertainment elsewhere next gen.

Thread Information