Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

cloud computing on ps4? check!

Bu bu but we have the clouds...and still no drm

Microsoft has*touted the Xbox One's cloud-computing capabilities, promising that the system's hardware resources can be freed up by accessing remote servers that handle AI and physics calculations. Those remote computations, Microsoft says, will allow the Xbox One, unlike the Xbox 360, to become more powerful over time.Sony Computer Entertainment's Shuhei Yoshida says that the PlayStation 4 can tap into similar technology, offloading processes that are typically handled locally to the cloud.Yoshida said that "of course" PS4 developers will be able to take advantage of cloud-based computing for their titles."Linking, matchmaking... there are already many computations being done on the cloud side," Yoshida said, adding that there are limitations to what processes can be offloaded to a remote computer, due to latency and bandwidth.Asked whether cloud-based computing technology would face issues of adoption, since Sony does not require an online connection for PS4, Yoshida said, "No.""We don't believe every title needs that," he said. "But if your title needs [an] online connection to provide some online features: Go for it."When Sony*unveiled*the PlayStation 4, itfocused on using cloud-based technologyfor the delivery of streaming games, instant-play demos and the ability to let a friend on the internet take over gameplay on your PlayStation 4. Microsoft's implementation of cloud-based computing emphasized tapping into "variable number of transistors in the cloud."Gaikai's cloud service is*coming to PlayStation 4 sometime in 2014*after the console's initial launch.
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/12/442...g-calculations

Ultimate Veteran
    I dont think these cloud computing are as great as MS is saying its all smoke and mirrors

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Like the op said cloud service and no DRM. ($100 dollars cheaper too. Boooyaaa!!!!!). lol

4. Likes Christopher wishes they had posted this first.
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i hate the idea of processes being taken off the console and done elsewhere. i assume it would render the game inoperable or stunted if you were ever disconnected.....

for example. on my trips to Fiji, my PS3 will be offline for a month or two.....wherein im still gaming.

death of gaming imo if this becomes the norm. my tablet will carry my gaming needs if that ever became the case (counter intuitive as this is the crowd the industry want to attract)
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Look, "cloud processing" is mostly all PR speak. I've done projects in IT utilizing the cloud and cloud technologies. Mostly, the "cloud" is just a server farm, ok? I mean putting it basically. The cloud is great for storage in most practical applications for consumers, like how you have cloud game saves now on the PS3. Another great example of the "power of the cloud" right now is what Apple is doing with iTunes Match. You can have all your music you've purchased available on all your devices. Download or play what you will, when you will.

The problem with cloud and games is latency. Just like any server or server farm, there's a lot of processing power there, but the latency in delivering data to a client is so slow that for things like quick twitch games, etc., it would be useless. Note how Forza is using the "cloud power." They're using marketing speak to make it sound like the cars AI is being done in the cloud and that it is mimicking human players. In reality, they're tagging a bunch of data points on how you drive when you play Forza and converting that into kind of a preference file that can be shared to other Xbox's on the network. Those preferences are then downloaded and read by Forza and the program feeds those preferences into their AI so that the AI can perform somewhat like the human players who were profiled for those preferences drove like. That's it.

Sure, they could render a scene or online world in advance on the servers and download it to your game on the Xbox 1. But realtime changes to those environments or other data will have to be handled by the local machine, because the latency of the back and forth talk between the client and the cloud is simply too slow to be practical, even on a super fast connection!

I'm sure we'll see some ingenious uses of this type of technology on both platforms. Just don't be sucked in by the talk about this "cloud processing" making games faster or look better. It just won't. Even stuff rendered by the cloud has to be downloaded and re-rendered by your Xbox or PS3 so there are big limitations. It will be great for sharing game data and that sort of thing, and I expect we'll see some very cool stuff in that regard. Just realize what the technology actually is and don't let yourself get sucked in by the hype.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

7. Likes MacP, TAZ427 wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I have my doubts about sony's ability to pull this off. MS has over 300,000 servers and you know that is a whole lot of money. I don't see sony investing as much into this. I doubt that we will see many titles on PS4 use this.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Yeah - but is it "the" cloud? If not then MS wins. All day, erry day.

Their clouds is biggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I have my doubts about sony's ability to pull this off. MS has over 300,000 servers and you know that is a whole lot of money. I don't see sony investing as much into this. I doubt that we will see many titles on PS4 use this.
    Yeah homie.
    It must have been love Sony, but it;s over now. Your cloud ain't no DRM cloud. #MSonewon.
    Last edited by Admartian; 06-13-2013 at 00:53.

Ultimate Veteran
    LelZ.. Considering PS4 has a 256bit bus, there's literally nothing the Xbox One can do to even move data down/up from the cloud better than a PS4 can locally. All "Cloud" is is a fancy way of saying that you are running a game client-end tbh.

It all boils down to CPU usage, because any graphics data being moved from the cloud to the XBox One still needs to be rasterized by the GPU with whatever resources are available to the system locally.

So, yeah. That's pretty much everything you need to know about cloud. If you're that hyped about running singleplayer games like an MMORPG, then, YAAAAAAAAAAY. Anyone here ever been to the Jeuno Auction House in FFXI? Teh cloudz!
    Last edited by Lefein; 06-13-2013 at 01:02.

11. Likes Kauldron wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    LelZ.. Considering PS4 has a 256bit bus, there's literally nothing the Xbox One can do to even move data down/up from the cloud better than a PS4 can locally. All "Cloud" is is a fancy way of saying that you are running a game client-end tbh.

It all boils down to CPU usage, because any graphics data being moved from the cloud to the XBox One still needs to be rasterized by the GPU with whatever resources are available to the system locally.

So, yeah. That's pretty much everything you need to know about cloud. If you're that hyped about running singleplayer games like an MMORPG, then, YAAAAAAAAAAY. Anyone here ever been to the Jeuno Auction House in FFXI? Teh cloudz!
    I guess we will see. Respawn says Titan Fall wouldn't of been possible without the cloud so I think it does make a difference.

Ultimate Veteran
    I guess we will see. Respawn says Titan Fall wouldn't of been possible without the cloud so I think it does make a difference.
    Destiny is technically only possible by the cloud since the enemies are in combat across multiple player clients. It's just a fancy word for saying that work in the game is being done by a server or server farm. The system still needs to rasterize the world and the enemies locally.

14. Likes TAZ427, jphuff wishes they had posted this first.
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Like i said in a previous thread, the broadband adoption rates in the USA aren't that good, so i really don't see the advantage of this

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    lol

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Destiny is technically only possible by the cloud since the enemies are in combat across multiple player clients. It's just a fancy word for saying that work in the game is being done by a server or server farm. The system still needs to rasterize the world and the enemies locally.
    This.^

Forum Sage
    Destiny wasn't developed with the cloud in mind though. Titan Fall was developed and uses cloud for physics and AI. It's possible that destiny may turn out better on Xbox-one if it does the same.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Destiny wasn't developed with the cloud in mind though. Titan Fall was developed and uses cloud for physics and AI. It's possible that destiny may turn out better on Xbox-one if it does the same.
    Lol titanfalls Will also be on the ps4....but cArry on

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran

Watch this and tell me which player's PS4 was running the AI and damage physics on the enemies. I'm not trying to be mean, whatsoever. I'm just dispelling the ignorance.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Lol titanfalls Will also be on the ps4....but cArry on

Never said that it wouldn't.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Never said that it wouldn't.
    So why would they use cloud computing for xbo and not for the ps4 if the console is capable of doing the same thing?

Ultimate Veteran
    In IT industry terms, anything past your home router is "cloud".

Forum Sage

Watch this and tell me which player's PS4 was running the AI and damage physics on the enemies. I'm not trying to be mean, whatsoever. I'm just dispelling the ignorance.
    I don't know about that stuff. I'm not educated on all this cloud stuff. i just know what Respawn said. Idon't think destiny is using Cloud computing or even dedicated servers. It was never mentioned before.

Ultimate Veteran
    I don't know about that stuff. I'm not educated on all this cloud stuff. i just know what Respawn said. Idon't think destiny is using Cloud computing or even dedicated servers. It was never mentioned before.
    When the jump ships knocked over towers. I'm fairly willing to bet that was cloud unless the play area isn't open world.

Elite Guru
    While I can see a little potential for AI to be processed server side it would have to be some exceptional AI to have that level of requirement. This sounds like the usual hype for some new technology (like procedural textures last generation) that sounds impressive but is totally impractical.

27. Likes Agriel wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    So why would they use cloud computing for xbo and not for the ps4 if the console is capable of doing the same thing?

It may be capable but it doesn't mean that it will. I don't know much about the cloud but i do know this is a area where MS will outshine sony. 300,000 dedicated servers is pretty amazing. And they built it from the ground up costing billions, unlike Sony who went out and bought Gaikai for only 400 million and still won't be available till sometime in 2014. MS server will be there day 1. I'm not saying the game can't be done on PS4 but there could be differences because of the cloud.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by NextGenGamer2000 View Post
    Source on this? Day 1 already? 300000 all already built? Already spent billions?
    Lol.
    indeed and dedicated.

Doesn't matter partial cloud computing is possible on PS4. It won't improve graphics just like it won't improve graphics on X1 or any other console.
    It may be but no developer is talking about it.

And TitanFalls on PC... and not really a graphics marble. You don't seriously buy into that. Do you? MS paid them tons for timed exclusivity.And they are even talking possibility of PS4 port later.
    I know the game is coming to PS4 later. Maybe in 2015 0r 2016. Titan fall as well as Forza and others will be using the cloud. That is if they aren't fibbing and I don't believe they are.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    1) Well they have to have a vision for what it might be able to
    2)Didn't we already see an article dissecting the MS cloud hoopla and go into some actual potential uses for such (dynamic Ai and such, GFX slaughtered as being improbable or such)
    Why are we horking over this again

I thought this was where I read this
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...D%21-wow%21%2A
    Last edited by D3seeker; 06-13-2013 at 03:35.

Thread Information