Latest PSU headlines:

PSU Live Streamer

[Playstation 3] Remember Me

I normally don't like doing straight up reviews to games, I much prefer engaging the community in a discussion/opinions on the title rather than assign a subjective numeric score. However given that this game received mediocre (at best) acclaim, and the fact that a major blockbuster (The Last Of Us) was releasing 10 days after this one, it would seem that many chose to let this one go.....that doesn't leave much room for community discussion now does it?

So I give you my review of Remember Me.

I'm writing this thread as the credits to the game scroll past me on my tv. This was a game I have been looking forward to since I learned about it just a few months ago. It's cyberpunk elements and feel peaked my interests and I knew it was something I had to get my hands on, good or bad. I, like others, watched/read reviews for this game as they surfaced a couple days prior to its release. With some reviewers grading it as low as a 5, I started to fear my purchase decision. However, comments were made that Remember Me borrowed from games such as Uncharted (platforming) and Batman (combat), yet brought nothing new to the table. These comments actually began to help solidify my choice to buy this in the end. I like the platforming of Uncharted. I like the combat of Batman. This sounded like a good mix in my opinion. So I bought it anyway. I won't go into too much detail about the characters/story as many reviews already have. But I will offer my thoughts on various areas of the game.

Story
    The Good
    This is where this game brings its first new thing to the table. The method of narrative in this game is brilliant. You are a memory hunter plagued with amnesia, set on a task to regain your own memories while slowly unlocking your dormant hunter abilities that you will use to complete your quest. To accomplish this task you'll find yourself following in the footsteps of the memories of people that came before you, and even changing the memories of certain key figures in the story to assist you to your end goal. This idea works to pace the game perfectly.

The Bad
    Yes, some of the written dialogue can leave you rolling your eyes. But not nearly as much as reviewers would lead you to believe...at least not in my opinion. The wrestler named X-mas has terrible lines. But thankfully he plays a minor role in the game. And while some characters will use lines such as "Remember You Soon", which I feel is very akin to some old Arnie movies like 6th Day and Total Recall....it simply didn't bother me and actually furthered my overall immersion. But I can see how some would find it irritating.

Gameplay
    The Good
    Very much a linear story driven game with Uncharted-esque platforming to get around. Does it do anything new/exciting compared to Uncharted? No. Does it disappoint? I don't think it does. Uncharted was a linear game. And the fact that major game reviewers seem to praise Uncharted for what it does but mock Remember Me for it makes little sense to me.

Now on to the next thing that this game brings to the table, "Treasure hunts". While all games of this type will have you check behind boxes or that short corridor you could have turned right at to scoop up something on the ground, Remember Me does this slightly differently. This is a game about Memories, and it uses that concept to make the treasure hunting a more unique experience. By that I mean, you'll come upon memory screens as you traverse the world, this screen is somewhat of a memory game itself. You'll see the objective or item in the picture along with landmarks to watch out for so you know you are in the right area to search for it. Early in the game this is quite easy, but as you progress the challenge becomes more and more. You are literally playing a memory game within this memory game.

The Bad
    Yes, as stated in multiple reviews....the camera works against you sometimes. Though its less of an issue during the platforming, and more of one during peak combat moments.

Combat
    The Good
    Said to steal the formula from the batman games of this generation. I only partially agree with that (in some ways the combat feels more akin to Oni from the ps2). Yes you are given reaction based timing to evade attacks. But no you don't not use that opportunity as an automatic counterattack. One of the things I hated about the batman combat system was that you could literally win by spamming the counterattack button sometimes and just let the auto attack do the work for you and basically make you invincible. This game doesn't allow for that, you evade the attack and its up to you to further act afterwards. The reason for this is because of the 3rd thing this game brings to the table, its combo system.

You unlock new combo chains and and combo attacks to fill into those chains as you see fit. There are some restrictions of course. A chain may be a 3 hit combo of square, square, square for instance (the most basic combo), and you have to choose to fill those slots with attacks that either: Heal you, deal more damage, reduce the cooldowns on your specials, or multiply damage you've already done within the chain. You may want to do all 3 hits as healing strikes lets say, but you've only unlocked healing twice as a square button and once as a triangle button.

Some reviewers felt that they had to go into the combo lab too much to change everything all the time, I did not have this experience. They also complained that combat was too difficult to pull off the combos, I also did not have this experience. By the time I was *maybe* 2 hours in, I had mastered the timing on the combo system. By mid game, I was given enough variations of combo buttons that I was able to devote a combo string to healing, another to damage, and another to cooldown reduction. One of the reasons you evade attacks in this game rather than counterpunch, is so that you can seamlessly continue your combo if you are forced to evade an attack while in the middle of a chain.

The specials are a rather unique idea as well to this game, and further add to the challenge of combat. Enemies will be of a variety of types. Some can't be killed until you kill others first. Some have shields you need to destroy. Some have armor that damages you when you attack. Some are invisible. Some climb on walls. The list goes on. Whats great about the combat in this game is that variety.

The Bad
    Combat will quickly move from boring, to awesome, to frustrating based purely on the number of enemies on the screen and the sometimes 4+ methods of attacks you need concern yourself with in order to come out alive. 1-2 enemies on the screen can be quite dull, especially if they are of the same type. 3-5 enemies on the screen is in my opinion where the combat is at its best. 6+ and things can be downright irritating at times. Especially when obstacles in the room and screwy camera angles mess you up.

Audio/Video
    Set in a futuristic Neo-Paris, this city is brimming with cyberpunk esthetic. And the musical score does a great job of keeping you in the game. With some much emphasis on your main characters spotty memory, they do a great job of putting in audio and visual glitches\stuttering to give that feeling of 'tv static'.

I'm not one for checking out the ass on the chick I'm playing in a video game. But I have to say, Capcom did a hell of a job with this character.

Conclusion
    This game is worth a playthrough for anyone that has interest in anything I mentioned above. It truly is a cyberpunk Uncharted/Oni lovechild. Is it worth $60 to you? Thats for you to decide. And with TLOU around the corner, I suspect this game might be best experienced at a slightly discounted price. I enjoyed my time in this game enough to know that'll I'll play it again, and it is a welcome addition to my collection. I firmly believe Remember Me will become the next Mirrors Edge....only experienced\adored by a few due to poor reviews and release window timing.

Score
    8/10

Score for Nilin's Ass
    10/10
    Last edited by shepard; 06-14-2013 at 13:31.

2. Likes Fon likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Nicely done shepard! Always like seeing some new blood into the mix, so welcome to the ranks! This game is one of those games I had completely no idea about. It right in between The Last of Us and E3. Bad timing when you're not getting as much exposure. I was definitely part of that group that would've let this one go to opt for The Last of Us.

PSU Live Streamer
    Thanks. Upon re-reading it, I come to the conclusion that I should avoid writing reviews when its late and I'm getting tired lol. Run on sentences and the such seem to be a thing in my write up
    Last edited by shepard; 06-14-2013 at 13:39.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Meh, don't worry about it shep! It's not about writing your dissertation. Just general thought behind it, which you easily had!

Thanks for such a excellent information. It is relay helpful for me.
    Spiralclick Mobile Development

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Just for mentioning Oni, you're forcing me to give it a go.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Wishlist: inFAMOUS, SotC 2, Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2, next Obsidian Fallout, Fallout 4, Project Eternity, ND's PS4 game
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

PSU Live Streamer
    Glad to hear it, hope you find some enjoyment from the game.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

9. Likes K2D likes this post

Thread Information