Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

Hands On: Killzone Shadow Fall

As the PlayStation 4′s poster child, Guerrilla’s Killzone Shadow Fall has a lot to live up to. In the absence of another first party first person shooter, Sony’s reliance and focus on the Dutch studio’s ability to continue to cater for a dedicated fanbase is at least single-minded, their focus direct and unwavering. Killzone as a brand doesn’t hold the same sway as something like Halo, but its individuality can’t be denied.
    In Shadow Fall, that sense of uniqueness is compounded by a myriad of new mechanics, manifested via a new physical input method: the DualShock 4′s touch pad. It’s not easy to get to grips with: despite the swiping becoming second nature quickly, the outcome of each directional push never really obvious, and that’s something that’s made worse by a set of d-pad inputs that aren’t signalled or prompted.
    The issue with Killzone Shadow fall is that the game tries to do too much too soon. The touch pad essentially acts as an input device for a small floating droid known as an OWL, which can be sent into battle to fight, used to distract guards, hack terminals or fire off a zip-line. That’s all well and good, but there’s no real clear on-screen indication of what’s what, and in the heat of battle it’s far too easy to forget which swipe does what.
    And the d-pad – which is used to change weapon type, activate a health pack or scan the environment – suffers from a similar problem. Extended use might alleviate this issue, of course, but a short demo period wasn’t nearly enough to get familiar with the multiple commands.
    When you do get it right, Shadow Fall makes a great deal of sense. The OWL, a floating droid at your every whim, is capable of taking on a couple of enemy soldier and highlighting their location via the short-range scanner. Used as a distraction it’s brilliant, the Helghast aiming at a hovering hunk of metal rather than the player character, charged with – in this demo at least – rescuing a group of downed survivors.
    The level playable was impressively open-ended, both in terms of the physical environment and the multiple ways in which the player could opt to progress. Do you take out an enemy with a sniper round from a distance; or do you tackle him from above with a zip-line? The forest environment offers plenty of places to hide, but once th Helgan know where you are, simply crounching behind a rock won’t save you – the game displaying much improved AI that seemingly hunts in packs rather than individually, and they’re deadly.
    But is it fun? It’s hard to say – the demo segment was perhaps poorly chosen: it might look pretty (and it does) but it requires an understanding (and memory) of everything the game offers in terms of new features and some sense of what this mysterious OWL droid is capable of. Playing the game like a standard first person shooter got me killed twice in a row, and wrestling with the swipe pad hinted at solutions that never worked on a first attempt.
    The extra features are smart, at least: healing yourself also provides a short-term slice of slow-motion, the ability to see through walls and spot enemies echoes that of The Last Of Us but comes with a quicker pacing and much more limited use; and the OWL if nothing else hints at a tactical series of decisions that simpy aren’t communicated with a standard controller and little thought and energy.
    So whilst Shadow Fall looks the part (and it is pretty) I think it needs some work in the controls, and although it’s possible to play the game like all the other Killzones, it’s best tackled as a shooter with a brain rather than a mindless blaster. It’s good, and definitely good looking, but there’s work to do before the game releases later this year.
    http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/...shadow-fall-2/

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Killzone: SF, will be massive!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Day one.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm definitely soooo looking forward to it.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    When I saw a direct-feed of this stage via Gamespot, I was a bit underwhelmed. I just hope that it was the $#@!ty quality of the video that made it look bad. I also didn't like the sometimes jerky animations. I just hope they bother with trying to polish it before release.

Graphically this game doesn't look as good as for example Infamous SS, but then again there is no direct feed 1080p video of Killzone Shadow Fall gameplay.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow

Elite Member
    I hope they sell millions. GG deserves all the sales they can get. KZ3 was one of my favorite shooters for multiplayer.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    When I saw a direct-feed of this stage via Gamespot, I was a bit underwhelmed. I just hope that it was the $#@!ty quality of the video that made it look bad. I also didn't like the sometimes jerky animations. I just hope they bother with trying to polish it before release.

Graphically this game doesn't look as good as for example Infamous SS, but then again there is no direct feed 1080p video of Killzone Shadow Fall gameplay.
    Huh?

It looked at least as good as Second Son, maybe the animations aren't as nice, and its not as flashy and doesn't seem to have the same level of environmental destruction, but the details are more dense, or at least more obvious since its first person view and not a farther back third person view.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    So this guy is basically saying the game needs more tutorials? Well, he played a demo. I'm sure the actual game will do better in that regard.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    What game was Sufi talking about there? lol

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    What game was Sufi talking about there? lol
    MGS5. lol

Super Elite
    Where's the weight? Where's the oomph? Where's the Killzone?

Bleh.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Who was playing this demo? A potato?

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Day one.
    THis.

It's nice to see some colors in Killzone.

Ultimate Veteran
    Dam that forset looks in sane can't Waite for this game

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

Hands On: Killzone Shadow Fall

Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Who was playing this demo? A potato?
    Mr. Potatohead, actually.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    day one.
    yes!

Cannot wait for this! This might be the game I'm most excited about.

"Although it’s possible to play the game like all the other Killzones, it’s best tackled as a shooter with a brain rather than a mindless blaster."

Cool, that's all I needed to hear. Day one!

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by whattheproblem View Post
    "Although it’s possible to play the game like all the other Killzones, it’s best tackled as a shooter with a brain rather than a mindless blaster."

Cool, that's all I needed to hear. Day one!
    This is quickly becoming THE number one game I want. there are a few more but I'm starting to get really excited about this one.

Thread Information