Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Why are you an xbox fan and what would it take for you to leave it?

I got a two part question for you guys. I'm just curious because I have actually thought about what it would take for me to stop buying games period and where my lines are But....

I have been thinking about all the info about the xbone and ps4. I have read a lot about fans not too happy about DRM with the xbox one. I have seen several youtube vids about the subject of not buying the xbox one until changes are made. But I want to know despite all the stuff that has been announced and is in the works with the xbox one,...Why are you an xbox fan? Is it because your friends got one and you just went with it and jumped on the ship. Is it the games like Halo or Gears of war that keep you buying xbox stuff? is it simply because you got it before playstation and just prefer it because you are used to it?

I am just curious because never have a seen that loyal of a following for something that they can pretty much tell the customer what they can and cannot do and STILL have people wanting to buy their product. I'm not bashing anyone for wanting one. I actually have both PS3 and Xbox 360. I prefer the ps3. I think I have a total of 3 or 5 games for the xbox and way more for my ps3. I will say the reason I even bought an xbox was because some of the multi platform games looked a little better on the 360 than the ps3. But to me the ps3 exclusives killed the 360, Metal Gear solid 4 being one of those and to me the graphics were better with the exlusives that playstation offered vs xbox. But I am just curious to know what would it take for you guys to say, " enough is enough, im no longer buying xbox products such as the xbox one." Where do you draw the line, or is there a line? Are you too invested and can't stop buying games? If the future of video games is what MS's outlook is, then I won't buy anything in the future. Once what MS is trying to implement now becomes the normal way of doing things, then i won't continue to buy or play games in the future. That is just me. What about you? Chime in. im curious to know.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Look at Apple, they are full of DRM and restrictions yet people for some reason still like to throw money at them...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    I got a two part question for you guys. I'm just curious because I have actually thought about what it would take for me to stop buying games period and where my lines are But....

I have been thinking about all the info about the xbone and ps4. I have read a lot about fans not too happy about DRM with the xbox one. I have seen several youtube vids about the subject of not buying the xbox one until changes are made. But I want to know despite all the stuff that has been announced and is in the works with the xbox one,...Why are you an xbox fan? Is it because your friends got one and you just went with it and jumped on the ship. Is it the games like Halo or Gears of war that keep you buying xbox stuff? is it simply because you got it before playstation and just prefer it because you are used to it?

I am just curious because never have a seen that loyal of a following for something that they can pretty much tell the customer what they can and cannot do and STILL have people wanting to buy their product. I'm not bashing anyone for wanting one. I actually have both PS3 and Xbox 360. I prefer the ps3. I think I have a total of 3 or 5 games for the xbox and way more for my ps3. I will say the reason I even bought an xbox was because some of the multi platform games looked a little better on the 360 than the ps3. But to me the ps3 exclusives killed the 360, Metal Gear solid 4 being one of those and to me the graphics were better with the exlusives that playstation offered vs xbox. But I am just curious to know what would it take for you guys to say, " enough is enough, im no longer buying xbox products such as the xbox one." Where do you draw the line, or is there a line? Are you too invested and can't stop buying games? If the future of video games is what MS's outlook is, then I won't buy anything in the future. Once what MS is trying to implement now becomes the normal way of doing things, then i won't continue to buy or play games in the future. That is just me. What about you? Chime in. im curious to know.
    So you've never seen an apple product?

Also how do you think digital downloads (only, no disc) and drm will work with the PS5 and other consoles of that generation?

Apprentice

I have seen an apple product. Get ready for the shocker, I don't own any apple products. No Iphone here. But as this relates to games I don't see the connection. I don't see where apple products and phones doing what they do should carry over to video game platforms nor why it should because then there wouldn't be a real need for consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    So you've never seen an apple product?

Also how do you think digital downloads (only, no disc) and drm will work with the PS5 and other consoles of that generation?

5. Likes -Shafty- likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I have seen an apple product. Get ready for the shocker, I don't own any apple products. No Iphone here. But as this relates to games I don't see the connection. I don't see where apple products and phones doing what they do should carry over to video game platforms nor why it should because then there wouldn't be a real need for consoles.
    Because Apple has tons of DRM and restricts what the consumer can do with their product, yet people still buy their garbage.

Superior Member
    I have been with MS since '05 but I have already pre-ordered he PS4 and won't be getting the One. I'm not loyal to a company or console, only to myself and what I want and like.

The reasons I'm making the switch?

• Too many restrictions for me on the One.
    • PSN+ is just about on par with Live and you gets tons of free games and other stuff for the same price.
    • A lot more exclusive titles that I care about.

And I'm not even going to get into the MS attitude toward consumers thing as that is really a whole other topic.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Soldier 95B

I enjoy Xbox (and Xbox One):

1. Games
    2. Games
    3. Games
    4. Xbox Live
    5. Achievements
    6. Friends and family all will be buying one
    7. I am connected 24 x 7
    8. I don't trade games in
    9. I don't buy used games
    10. Multitasking & Cloud features

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Look at Apple, they are full of DRM and restrictions yet people for some reason still like to throw money at them...
    I spend WAYYYY too much on Apple products But I would rather buy that stuff than the hardware crap out there running any Windows platform. Android products are ok in my experience, but not as good in ease of use in comparison. But seriously, I should watch what I spend on Apple stuff.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I have been with MS since '05 but I have already pre-ordered he PS4 and won't be getting the One. I'm not loyal to a company or console, only to myself and what I want and like.

The reasons I'm making the switch?

• Too many restrictions for me on the One.
    • PSN+ is just about on par with Live and you gets tons of free games and other stuff for the same price.
    • A lot more exclusive titles that I care about.

And I'm not even going to get into the MS attitude toward consumers thing as that is really a whole other topic.
    This is the view that everyone needs to have, if everything was flipped and Sony was pushing the DRM, etc. on us and Microsoft was unrestricted then I would get a Xbox One. It is just wrong they way they are pushing this onto everyone, just seems like they didn't think everything through too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post

1. Games
    2. Games
    3. Games
    4. Xbox Live
    5. Achievements
    7. I am connected 24 x 7

I spend WAYYYY too much on Apple products But I would rather buy that stuff than the hardware crap out there running any Windows platform. Android products are ok in my experience, but not as good in ease of use in comparison. But seriously, I should watch what I spend on Apple stuff.
    And that is fine if that is what you really want, I just don't understand it...

I do agree that stuff running the Windows platform is pretty horrid, the only reason we all mostly use Windows still is because of their monopoly, one reason why I will never own a Windows smartphone or tablet, I will be damned to let them get a foot in the door and ruin that too! So you are not going to be upset when xx years down the line that thing turns into a door stop because of the DRM? And all your family and friends are getting on?! I have yet to meet anything other than on this forum that is actually getting one, all the people I know that are diehard hard Xbox fans are ditching and going to a PS4, ones that I thought would never leave that platform...
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 06-13-2013 at 17:47.

Apprentice

Can't argue with that. Thanks for answering.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

1. Games
    2. Games
    3. Games
    4. Xbox Live
    5. Achievements
    7. I am connected 24 x 7

^This

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I'll continue to buy and play 360 games for quite some time. Not out of any sense of loyalty. Just has some great games. Whether or not I ever get Xbox One depends on if MS changes their DRM policies and if they stick to forcing me to buy Kinect. I'd love to have one but it just isn't worth it at this point.

Because Apple has tons of DRM and restricts what the consumer can do with their product, yet people still buy their garbage.
    You mean the DRM in Apple's downloadable content like music and apps?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I like Halo. And I wouldn't even have 360 if I didn't happen upon that gametrailers drawing.
    besides that my lousy college buds all have 360s some twist.

that is it.

Hey matter of fact I'm not a fan. What the hell am I doing here! hehe
    Last edited by D3seeker; 06-14-2013 at 03:18.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I dont stubbornly stick to a brand and blindly accept everything they do. I was mainly a Playstation guy during the PS1 and PS2 days although I did have an OG Xbox. This gen the 360 was my main console and PS3 was mostly for exclusives. I was a very staunch defender of Xbox this gen. But MS has made some decisions that I just wont go along with for next gen. If Sony was the one who had done that and not MS then I would support the Xbone. But as it turns out Sony has made all the right decisions plus PS4 has more games that I want. So next gen I'm back to being a Playstation guy and buying a PS4 on day one.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    I don't own any Apple products...but I'm pretty sure that most of the content you buy on their devices still works without an internet connection.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    I don't own any Apple products...but I'm pretty sure that most of the content you buy on their devices still works without an internet connection.

There is an increasing trend in some games and apps to require access to the net on them.

I have an iPad and Kindle Fire... when my boys grab them, there are quite a few of their apps that MUST check into the internet. For the Android store, it is even worse... on the Kindle if we are not connected to the net at home, the store sometimes will disable the apps stating that we have to log in to verify the purchase.
    LMAO

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    There is an increasing trend in some games and apps to require access to the net on them.

I have an iPad and Kindle Fire... when my boys grab them, there are quite a few of their apps that MUST check into the internet. For the Android store, it is even worse... on the Kindle if we are not connected to the net at home, the store sometimes will disable the apps stating that we have to log in to verify the purchase.
    Then you should boycott all those devices too.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    the controller and some games and that is all..
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Apprentice

Interesting comments. It sounds like some reasons are what I had thought initially. It's kind of crazy to think if Sony had taken the same route MS did. I'm glad they didn't but that definately would have changed things from all aspects.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post

I'd say "generally" those are software limits, not built into the hardware. Personally I wouldn't think about buying any app like that unless it needed the net to run obviously.

21. Likes F34R likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Then you should boycott all those devices too.
    I am not boycotting anything LOL

It is pretty simple to enable the wifi.

People don't realize what they are being dictated to by companies. Wanna buy a HP printer? Better use HP ink otherwise the printer will disable its printer ink volume warning, or constantly inform you that you are not using the right ink. Want a song on your iPod? Ok, Apple will convert it so you can't share it.

Even the fiasco when Sony removed the Linux boot option. They made it clear that when you buy a console, you don't "buy" the software. You are leasing it. SO they can tell YOU what you will do with the software.

Castrating MS over these policies is ridiculous when practically every company that has proprietary inventory or property does it too.
    LMAO

PSN ID
    MPY1974
    Easy question, but let me clarify first that I own all systems, and also play on my PC. I am an Xbox fan, mainly due to how well Live works with the cross game chat, party system, it just all works well and is easy to use. What would it take to make me leave, well they (ms) have pulled that one off. Internet connection required to play games, even single player, and it's game over for me. It is the same reason I did not buy Sim City, and Diablo 3. I will not support that type of DRM, period. Could you imagine if Apple products would not play movies, or music that you paid for unless you were connected to the internet? I imagine people would explode. I travel alot, so it is important for my devices to work without a net connection. I understand some services wont be available, but a total loss of functionality is not acceptable.
    Last edited by Michaelpaul74; 06-13-2013 at 19:15. Reason: More to say

Forum Sage
    I became an Xbox fan because they won me over with the original Xbox Halos and Ninja Gaiden. I also enjoyed modding on the first Xbox and the fact that it was more powerful than the PS2.

The Xbox 360 was the best console by quite far for me (at least in the first 4 years) due to the massive amount of good titles, exclusives and the nearly perfect controller.

My loyalty to the Xbox brand grew as Sony's arrogance became more evident. I remember the infamous Kutaragi's words: "Get two jobs to buy a PS3" (@600 bucks!!) or "Next generation doesn't start until we say so"... and fans all over the place following suit like gospel. Fortunately this has changed a lot... Gamers are less loyal to brand and more demanding these days. (Expect for some people in some dedicated forums : D )

Now I've chosen PC Gaming as my main platform purely because of Power. I just couldn't bear the annoying 720p, low fidelity graphics of current gen consoles. Compared to PC they looked like being 7 year old stuff! (Wait... they are!) The only thing that kept me coming for more was Fifa but when I stopped playing it (Took too much time off my life) I sold my Xbox 360.

So what would it take to leave it? Lack of support of course. But that's clearly not gonna be the case with Xbox One. Actually, it has shown even more support than the PS4, more exclusive and overall a more appealing lineup.

DRM. Sucks, yes. Absolutely, especially in countries like mine where 2nd hand titles are so popular. If that keeps my friends from buying an Xbox One I'll definitely consider going for a PS4... But not for the reasons I'd have hoped for.
    Last edited by Aquanox; 06-13-2013 at 19:16.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    I'd say "generally" those are software limits, not built into the hardware. Personally I wouldn't think about buying any app like that unless it needed the net to run obviously.

yeah it is general, and mostly software, but the limitation is there. Regardless if it is chips and electrons or code making the wall, the wall is there that apps need internet to verify if it can run. MS's deal with the 24 hour check is complete BS, IMO (i have shady internet), but it is their choice and the pubs choice to protect their bottom line. Just like it is our choice as consumers to buy or not buy it.
    LMAO

Super Elite
    Ive always been a multi console owner, and play a few PC games to go with it.
    Ive supported Nintendo, Sony, Sega and Microsoft over the years.

But, as ive gotten older, the Xbox brand has become my favorite.

Games
    My favorite genres are FPS, Western Style RPGs, Sports and racing.

The controller fits my hands the best, just feels natural.

Xbox Live is a great service, and i always stay connected.

A lot of this comes down to personal preference, people have different taste.

Doesn't mean i wont get a PS4 too, but my first choice will be the X1.

If Microsoft showed crap games at E3 and released a way under powered Wii like console, yea, id probably leave them behind.

But they actually showed some great looking games, and since im a digital download type customer, the DRM protection wont bother me.

Dedicated Member
    I liked the first 2 Xboxes, though they didn't provide enough Asian influenced games to be my fav, i certainly saw the advantages to their side of the gaming model too.
    The XBOX 3/3 is a turn off.

Thread Information