Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran

PS4 components shipping in June, Xbox One not until 3rd quarter

PS4 components start shipping this month and XBone not until some time later in the 3rd quarter. This sounds like XBone manufacturing and assembly is really going to be cutting it close to make a November launch. The manufacturing news is indicating more and more how well positioned Sony is for the PS4 launch, completely opposite of the situation before the last launch. In some ways, the situation is reversed. The XBone SoC is rumored to be having yield problems which could affect not only supply but performance.
    PS4 components reportedly start shipping in June
    Tuesday 11 June 2013

The upstream supply chain reportedly has already started shipping orders for the PlayStation 4 (PS4) in June, and volumes may reach one million units per month by September for the year-end holidays. Meanwhile, volume shipments for Microsoft's Xbox One are expected to start in the third quarter, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

The PS4 reportedly is manufactured by Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) and the Xbox One by Pegatron Technology, while their components are supplied by Lite-On IT, Lite-On Technology, Foxlink, Asia Optical, Kinko Optical, Newmax, Foxconn Technology, Coxon, Nishoku, Elite Advanced Laser, Tong Hsing Electronic Industries, Adda, Delta Electronics, Chicony Electronics and Neng Tyi, the sources said. However, Sony and Foxconn declined to comment about the rumors.
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130611PD207.html
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

The last time i've read about the component shipments it said they will start assembling in august.
    It seems to me that Sony is still waiting for the final announcement of the release date because they really don't want to make the same mistakes as they did with the PS3.
    The consoles should be ready in November and that's the only thing that counts!

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    What could have been delaying MS?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    PS4 components start shipping this month and XBone not until some time later in the 3rd quarter. This sounds like XBone manufacturing and assembly is really going to be cutting it close to make a November launch. The manufacturing news is indicating more and more how well positioned Sony is for the PS4 launch, completely opposite of the situation before the last launch. In some ways, the situation is reversed. The XBone SoC is rumored to be having yield problems which could affect not only supply but performance.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130611PD207.html
    Hum, interesting, but I'd like to actually see some sources behind this. That said, it really depends on what they lead time is on the components. If it's 4-8 weeks, then it's about the beginning of the time they need to start getting orders in place for quantities to be on hand in Aug. for a build up.

I'm sure all this is negotiated up front with the suppliers.

The most interesting thing is if their SoC has some issues. Anyone have any details on who's manufacturing it for them and what process node it's on? TSMC or UMC maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    What could have been delaying MS?
    This to me doesn't indicate a delay yet. Only they haven't started stock piling components as of yet.

Ultimate Veteran
    It's probably a good thing. Demand for this thing is completely nuts.

Ratio is almost 20:1 now.

6. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    great news and they will work around the clock makeing ps4s. MS is haveing trouble with there memory and other parts
    i hope they dont rush the xbone and have it over heat they should delay till they get things right if xbones start die then ms will really be in trouble

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Is it just me or is everyone else also mentally reading XBone as X Bone?

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post

Isn't that the graphic that Amazon posted for a poll on console of choice? Not pre-order figures.

It shows a strong sway obviously, but those numbers are just votes not consoles pre-ordered.
    LMAO

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Isn't that the graphic that Amazon posted for a poll on console of choice? Not pre-order figures.

It shows a strong sway obviously, but those numbers are just votes not consoles pre-ordered.
    Yep, that is just some Facebook poll numbers lol.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Is it just me or is everyone else also mentally reading XBone as X Bone?
    It is how I always read it..which is why it annoys me so much. Just call it X1.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Guru

This what happens when the PS and MS consoles launch together 😃😃

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim

Wow. But like Cuguy said... mere votes, not pre-order numbers. But I wonder how similar the two numbers are in terms of ratios.

Veteran
    There is starting to be anecdotal evidence of these events developing. Several people here have gone to their Gamestop and are finding Sony has allocated about 3 PS4 to MS allocating 1 XBone. This is the manufacturers' pre-order allocations for that particular outlet based on their interpretation of marketing data. Apparently some people missed the news yesterday that Sony increased their pre-order allocation to Amazon, shortly after the previous allocation was exceeded, so that is why Launch units were once again back for pre-order, briefly. It means Sony thinks it can meet that pre-order rate by launch. All one has to do is look at the numbers being introduced. This article says 1 million PS4 by September (when Sony projects they can manufacture that many in one month). That means at least 1 million per month for October, November and December. This is divided between NA and Europe. Sony has stated they may have to have the Japan launch in 2014, so that is another indicator of the manufacturing and assembly limitations Sony is facing. The bottom line is they are growing more confident of their projections and starting to ratchet up. Based on these estimation indicators, it looks like Sony will have about 4 million total during the launch period but that is 2 million for NA and 2 milliion for Europe. For launch units, right now, it looks like it will be 1 million for NA and 1 million for Europe. Also, remember, for Sony, this is the launch of a game console that is purring like a kitten and No More Hurdles, Just Games.

The evidence for the XBone is not looking good at all. Start with the fact MS is setting the launch allocations with the various channels and it is for about 1/4 of the PS4. Based on the numbers above, that means MS is looking at a 1 million launch number, 500,000 for NA and 500,000 for Europe, Japan TBA plus there are an estimated 180 countries where the XBone won't work. This smaller launch number is a good indicator of supply problems. Now, if they aren't even getting components until the 3rd quarter, which means as early as July or as late as September, they aren't even going to have production lines started up while Sony is applying the pedal to the metal. If nothing else, these indicators bode worse and worse for MS, with the possibility they may have an insurmountable fabrication problem and have to announce a launch delay into 2014. Considering how good the rumors have been for the XBone, these new, more specific rumors are sounding more like what is going on behind the curtains.

Xbox One – MS May Downclock GPU & ESRAM Yield Trouble
    7th June 2013

The XBox One may be facing yet more trouble – this time from the heat that the APU is producing. Various sources are citing Microsoft are lowering the clock speed from 800MHZ, from anything between 100-200MHZ. The reasons are due to the APU of the XBox One being large. This is causing heat issues in the system – and heat was the reason for the Xbox 360′s RROD (Red Ring of Death). To further add to their woes, the ESRAM is apparently having issues to – to do with yields no less.
    All of this is fairly ironic, IF true. The reason Microsoft went with the ESRAM and Move Engines in their APU was due to them being worried over the yields of GDDR5 RAM. GDDR5 RAM is of course being used at the heart of the PS4. Microsoft needed to sacrifice GCN cores (12 compared to the PS4′s total of 1 to fit in the ESRAM and hardware move engines into the APU.
    If Microsoft do need to ramp down the speed of the GPU, it will mean that the system will only be capable of putting out 50 percent of the performance of the PS4. Currently, the Xbox One manages 1.2TFLOPS, however, this change could mean that the speed will drop to only 900GFLOPS. Compare that to the PS4′s 1.84TFLOPS and you’re left at quite the difference.
    It is still a step up from the XBox 360 and Playstation 3′s 240GFLOPS of computing performance, but only around 3.75 times, compared to the 5 times. Microsoft of course, would be all to keen to point out the ‘power of the cloud’ at this point. But, as we’ve investigated, the Xbox One cloud (powered by Microsoft’s Azure technology) can’t help in instances were instant reaction to data is required. For example, in fighting games, cloud based computing won’t help with character impacts. It can be used for weather effects, and for some AI offloading – but honestly, the loss of 300GFLOPS of power is going to hurt.
    Multi platform releases are obviously going to suffer – either from less AA, texture filtering – or possibly even a lower frame rate or internal resolution. 50 percent less GPU power than your rival is nothing to be sneezed at.
    Remember – these rumors have NOT been confirmed as yet – so take them with the usual pinch of salt for now.
    http://www.redgamingtech.com/xbox-on...yield-trouble/
    Last edited by Bligmerk; 06-14-2013 at 00:00.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

15. Likes dirtydog1979 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    It's probably a good thing. Demand for this thing is completely nuts. Ratio is almost 20:1 now.
    Wow. Talk about a landslide. lol

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post

That is just a poll but interestingly, you can no longer pre-order the PS4 launch edition. I had to go place an order with my local game stop. Amazon (US) is still accepting orders for the Xbox One launch edition however. Depending on quantities they were allocated that doesn't necessarily mean anything but it IS an indication that the PS4 is on fire somewhat.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by jphuff View Post
    That is just a poll but interestingly, you can no longer pre-order the PS4 launch edition. I had to go place an order with my local game stop. Amazon (US) is still accepting orders for the Xbox One launch edition however. Depending on quantities they were allocated that doesn't necessarily mean anything but it IS an indication that the PS4 is on fire somewhat.
    Yeah my local Gamestop just got allocated more PS4 preorders because they went so fast. The Xbone preorders haven't sold out yet. Anecdotal I know but just saying thats been the pattern here so far.

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    It's annoying, most of my friends have gone back to XBone because of the fact that PS4 preorders are out everywhere.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4THEWIN View Post
    It's annoying, most of my friends have gone back to XBone because of the fact that PS4 preorders are out everywhere.
    Sounds like they don't really care which console to get, just that they can get one.
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Find better friends
    what state are you in?

Elite Guru
    They would have to start stockpiling that magic RAM they need because DRAM supplies are starting to get a little thin this year. The move to produce lower power RAM for mobile devices is taking away from the high end market. Sony have to ensure their supply as soon as possible.

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-brie...shortage-looms

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by WretchedSoul21 View Post
    Sounds like they don't really care which console to get, just that they can get one.
    Basically, I told them to order the standard edition off Amazon and get it a few weeks after launch but no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Find better friends
    what state are you in?
    Florida.

Apprentice
    Double.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Basically, I told them to order the standard edition off Amazon and get it a few weeks after launch but no dice.

Florida.
    PM me when you get your PS4 and i will play games with you dude.

Florida.
    Yeah Florida!

Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

PSN ID
    DirtyDog1979
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    There is starting to be anecdotal evidence of these events developing. Several people here have gone to their Gamestop and are finding Sony has allocated about 3 PS4 to MS allocating 1 XBone. This is the manufacturers' pre-order allocations for that particular outlet based on their interpretation of marketing data. Apparently some people missed the news yesterday that Sony increased their pre-order allocation to Amazon, shortly after the previous allocation was exceeded, so that is why Launch units were once again back for pre-order, briefly. It means Sony thinks it can meet that pre-order rate by launch. All one has to do is look at the numbers being introduced. This article says 1 million PS4 by September (when Sony projects they can manufacture that many in one month). That means at least 1 million per month for October, November and December. This is divided between NA and Europe. Sony has stated they may have to have the Japan launch in 2014, so that is another indicator of the manufacturing and assembly limitations Sony is facing. The bottom line is they are growing more confident of their projections and starting to ratchet up. Based on these estimation indicators, it looks like Sony will have about 4 million total during the launch period but that is 2 million for NA and 2 milliion for Europe. For launch units, right now, it looks like it will be 1 million for NA and 1 million for Europe. Also, remember, for Sony, this is the launch of a game console that is purring like a kitten and No More Hurdles, Just Games.

The evidence for the XBone is not looking good at all. Start with the fact MS is setting the launch allocations with the various channels and it is for about 1/4 of the PS4. Based on the numbers above, that means MS is looking at a 1 million launch number, 500,000 for NA and 500,000 for Europe, Japan TBA plus there are an estimated 180 countries where the XBone won't work. This smaller launch number is a good indicator of supply problems. Now, if they aren't even getting components until the 3rd quarter, which means as early as July or as late as September, they aren't even going to have production lines started up while Sony is applying the pedal to the metal. If nothing else, these indicators bode worse and worse for MS, with the possibility they may have an insurmountable fabrication problem and have to announce a launch delay into 2014. Considering how good the rumors have been for the XBone, these new, more specific rumors are sounding more like what is going on behind the curtains.
    What a great unbiased read cheers

Thread Information