Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    The Blu-Ray games will install to HDD automatically, while you play. So, even if you buy disc based, it's still gonna end up installed. It does this to make up for the still pretty slow 6x that isn't really gonna be up to par with next-gen requirements. Which is why I'm probably just gonna buy games digitally. If games take up around the same amount of space, it shouldn't be a huge deal, but if most retail games end up being 20-50GB, then the 500GB HDD could become an issue. Sure, you can delete games you aren't currently playing, and redownload them later, but that's definitely an inconvenience.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    I'm happy with 500GB. It's the sweet spot for price/performance. The main factor though is that you CAN upgrade it if you WANT to. I'll probably put a 1TB in mine soon after I get it. We'll see though. As others have pointed out, installing all the games to the HD will eat a lot of space eventually.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by jphuff View Post
    I'm happy with 500GB. It's the sweet spot for price/performance. The main factor though is that you CAN upgrade it if you WANT to. I'll probably put a 1TB in mine soon after I get it. We'll see though. As others have pointed out, installing all the games to the HD will eat a lot of space eventually.
    I've only run into hard drive space issues a few times on PS3. Mostly due to some old game data that I never played. I'm hoping we won't see a bunch of massive game data files this time around. Like say MGS 4 and GT5 come to mind.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by jphuff View Post
    Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'm just storage hungry these days.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Can you use external hard drives to work like the standard HDD on the PS3? Just curious. I have a 500 gb external but never tried it. Not really planning to just curious.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Can you use external hard drives to work like the standard HDD on the PS3? Just curious. I have a 500 gb external but never tried it. Not really planning to just curious.
    I think I remember hearing that you can... not sure, though. The USB 3.0 will certainly make that possible.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Veteran
    It's a console! of course 500 GB it's perfect. Wouldn't want to drive up the price just because they added a 1 TB HDD in there, I mean not even high end laptops come equipped with that much HDD space unless you choose to upgrade for an additional fee, so the size they choice seems like a smart one to me. Should give me at least a year to fill it up, maybe a couple, don't know. But if I require some more I just buy another one which by that time will be much cheaper.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    The Blu-Ray games will install to HDD automatically, while you play. So, even if you buy disc based, it's still gonna end up installed. It does this to make up for the still pretty slow 6x that isn't really gonna be up to par with next-gen requirements. Which is why I'm probably just gonna buy games digitally. If games take up around the same amount of space, it shouldn't be a huge deal, but if most retail games end up being 20-50GB, then the 500GB HDD could become an issue. Sure, you can delete games you aren't currently playing, and redownload them later, but that's definitely an inconvenience.
    Not true, Blu-Ray games will NOT be installed on the HDD automatically. I believe you're confusing the fact that the data from the BD will be preloaded to the HDD as you're playing along in the game to give better access times. This is basically caching the data onto the HDD as you're going along. It is NOT installing the game. This is only temporary storage, which will be freed up and used for other games when you start to play them.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Not true, Blu-Ray games will NOT be installed on the HDD automatically. I believe you're confusing the fact that the data from the BD will be preloaded to the HDD as you're playing along in the game to give better access times. This is basically caching the data onto the HDD as you're going along. It is NOT installing the game. This is only temporary storage, which will be freed up and used for other games when you start to play them.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/24/ps4s...ys-mark-cerny/

“So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading… And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming.”

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

10. Likes TAZ427 likes this post
    Veteran
    This ain't X1 pal, no such thing as full game installs. Some games may require installs but shouldn't take up more than 10 GB each, and that's talking about games like GTA.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    LOL, I dunno, it was stated pretty clearly. They didn't say installs were mandatory, but like MonkeyClaw quoted, that the games would be cached to the HDD, and that it would keep caching until eventually the entire game was on the HDD. Now, I assume it'd leave the game fully installed, and not delete a fully installed game everytime you took a certain blu-ray based game out. I'm sure you could delete it if you wanted, but it does install the entire game as you play it. Go research it, it's one of the more commonly mentioned facts of how the PlayGO system works. They also want all blu-ray games to be zlib compressed as a norm, so that the streaming will be faster with the use of their zlib decompressor on-the-fly - to get more chunks moved at a time.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    LOL, I dunno, it was stated pretty clearly. They didn't say installs were mandatory, but like MonkeyClaw quoted, that the games would be cached to the HDD, and that it would keep caching until eventually the entire game was on the HDD. Now, I assume it'd leave the game fully installed, and not delete a fully installed game everytime you took a certain blu-ray based game out. I'm sure you could delete it if you wanted, but it does install the entire game as you play it. Go research it, it's one of the more commonly mentioned facts of how the PlayGO system works. They also want all blu-ray games to be zlib compressed as a norm, so that the streaming will be faster with the use of their zlib decompressor on-the-fly - to get more chunks moved at a time.
    My belief is that they would have said installed if they meant installed. As long as there's not enough other stuff to evict it, it should in theory remained cached. Great for gamers like me who when playing a single player campaign, play it and almost exclusively it until it's done. Still good for players who swap a lot of games as it will start caching the data ahead of time (it would still have a lot of stuff from base level install info on the game even if it were evicted.)

Master Guru
    I don't think i'll ever fill up more than 500gb on my PS4 so yeah i'm good with it.

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    I'm planning to go digital only so I would have preferred at least a 1 TB hard drive but I don't mind the 500 gb if it kept the console price down. Sony is apparently going to amke it very easy to upgrade so it's a smart cost cutting move. Not everyone wants digital so that would jsut be wasted manufacturing costs.

PSN ID
    l-Rasunda-l
    No, I'd prefer more. Sony seems to be pushing indie games this upcoming generation and I want to give them a shot. I filled up my 120GB slim PS3 in about a year, so if they have another 7 or 8 year generation with the PS4, the math says my PS4 will be filled up before the generation is over. I could buy an external hard drive, but its seeming like every damn console I buy requires me to buy an external hard drive now.
    One breath in this moment. We'll stay till were chosen and though it all.
    We Rise and Fall
    With our eyes wide open. We'll fight till we're broken.

..::WUB WUB WUB::..

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Well, it seems the sensible thing to do to keep prices down, considering it's upgradeable. By the time you are down to your last few GBs, you can go buy a 1 or 2TB HDD for a pretty reasonable price. Who knows, maybe SSD prices will drop even more dramatically over the next year or 2. They've already gone down in price a huge amount over the last year or 2.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
    I'm planning to go digital only so I would have preferred at least a 1 TB hard drive but I don't mind the 500 gb if it kept the console price down. Sony is apparently going to amke it very easy to upgrade so it's a smart cost cutting move. Not everyone wants digital so that would jsut be wasted manufacturing costs.

Veteran
    Like you said it may do a Cache like process, but that doesn't translate to a fully installed game. Is not like because of the cacheing of a game it'll fill up 10-50 GB of your HDD, I'd say about 5 GB tops.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Like you said it may do a Cache like process, but that doesn't translate to a fully installed game. Is not like because of the cacheing of a game it'll fill up 10-50 GB of your HDD, I'd say about 5 GB tops.
    You aren't listening. They state it themselves very clearly (as you see in MonkeyClaw's quote) that it continues to copy the rest of the game to the HDD while you play, so that after an hour or 2 the entire game is on the HDD. So, no, it's not 5GB tops that it'll cache. It will eventually have copied the entire game over, for faster loading. Whether you can set it to erase the info every time or not, I dunno. It would make sense to just leave it on there though, and if you are running low on HDD space, then blu-rays you play a lot less, you delete the info and let it copy back over the next time you play them.
    Last edited by XtraTrstrL; 07-17-2013 at 06:07.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    It should be enough the first year. It all depends on the size of the PSN+ freebies and the free2play MMO offerings. Hopefully SONY goes the MS route on this one and let's you use external HDD's as well.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Well, MS doesn't allow for upgrades, Sony is already the more flexible of the two. Going by that, I don't see why they would be that silly to not allow external HDD support. I'd bet on it being an option out-the-box. What would be cool, is if they allowed you to compress content on the HDD that you aren't currently using. Since they have the zlib decompressor that works on-the-fly for content off the blu-ray, that they want to be completely zlib compressed in all disc-based games. If there's a compressor in there also, that'd be cool, or if the decompressing on-the-fly could work for zlib compressed data that can be stored compressed on the HDD. Also, I wonder if the digital PSN Store games will be zlib compressed like disc-based games, so that they will download faster. That would be cool, and help with slower connections, and make the PlayGO that much better and faster.

Thread Information