Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony on PS4 content: If you buy it you own it

Forum Sage

That seems to be their stance today. But what about in a year or two after the system is hacked? We saw what they did with PS3. What makes anyone think that Sony won't again change its position? All I see is PR moves.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    That seems to be their stance today. But what about in a year or two after the system is hacked? We saw what they did with PS3. What makes anyone think that Sony won't again change its position? All I see is PR moves.
    If Sony has to make changes to its system because some asshole cracked it and opened up the door for piracy, then shit happens and you can thank these people who create a necessity for change.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

4. Likes Suzano-O wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    If Sony has to make changes to its system because some asshole cracked it and opened up the door for piracy, then shit happens and you can thank these people who create a necessity for change.
    So you think everyone should suffer and #dealwithit just because of one person? The problem isn't the people who crack the system. They're a known quantity and one that doesn't pose a threat to the overall business. The problem is the corporation.

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    When did they change their position the first time? Piracy has been a problem for a while and it isn't going away until everything is digital content, maybe not even then. Either way, can't judge a company for something that hasn't happened yet.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    If that's the case, or your position, then anyone shouldn't buy anything, ever. There is always the chance or opportunity for companies to change policies, etc. There is a difference in PR move, and highlighting the position they are taking that run parallel to what they believe gamers want. Is it just a coincidence that they are on the right track?

Sony had to change the PS3 they were put into a position where it was the only thing they could do.. Do you think they wanted or ever planned to do that no they did not but when someone has used it to exploit the system and completely open it and gets all the system keys and so on what are you ment to do...

It would of made it worse if they had not of removed it since what dev would want to code for and release games on a console where piracy runs rampant?

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    When did they change their position the first time? Piracy has been a problem for a while and it isn't going away until everything is digital content, maybe not even then. Either way, can't judge a company for something that hasn't happened yet.
    When they took out Other-OS and used PSN as a hostage. I think I can judge and I will if the precedence is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If that's the case, or your position, then anyone shouldn't buy anything, ever. There is always the chance or opportunity for companies to change policies, etc. There is a difference in PR move, and highlighting the position they are taking that run parallel to what they believe gamers want. Is it just a coincidence that they are on the right track?
    Honestly, I don't see how you can't see what is happening. Sony has set precedence of this kind before. They did it with PS2, PS3 and again with the PS4. They're touting how consumer friendly they are by feeding us these little quips about their company policies just before the launch of a new system. Just wait and see. They will change their policy again.

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    When they took out Other-OS and used PSN as a hostage. I think I can judge and I will if the precedence is already there.
    Uh....yeah, a real judge already took that one on, but this is derailing the topic so....
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Master Guru
    Just like it's always been. It's sad that Sony had to save gaming but that's what they do.

Forum Guru
    When they took out Other-OS
    Way to go off topic. What does it have to do with the game you buy? Did it killed your ownership of the game?

If you got hacked, banned, you can still play your disc games.

Unlike this:

13. Likes Suzano-O wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanehead View Post
    Way to go off topic. What does it have to do with the game you buy? Did it killed your ownership of the game? If you got hacked, banned, you can still play your disc games. Unlike this:
    Wow, thats messed up. Get your account banned for whatever reason and you cant play any of your games at all.

Forum Sage

Way to go off topic. What does it have to do with the game you buy? Did it killed your ownership of the game?

Unlike this:

It's not off topic. It's completely relevant and applicable. Being forced to update your firmware so that features are removed and being forced decide on which features you wish to keep by holding other features hostage is by definition, DRM. It's a draconian version of it too.

Forum Guru
    It's not off topic. It's completely relevant and applicable. Being forced to update your firmware so that features are removed and being forced decide on which features you wish to keep by holding other features hostage is by definition, DRM. It's a draconian version of it too.
    Even if you count that, its still no where near the clusterf*** MS is doing right now. How many gamers out there really cared about Other OS? I always see Other OS feature as completely useless from day 1.

At least you can still do what PS3 was mainly designed to do, which is to play GAMES.

^ yes. what about sony rootkit scandal. give it time and we will get shafted one way or another. they're making themselves look good at the moment then it will be a small change here and there to the small print and bam.
    ALL CORPORATIONS WANT TO TAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE FROM US !!

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy psu View Post
    In that case, why even bother to buy video games?

The point is, of the two, which is the lesser evil?

Unlike this:

So what happens to all the people who get banned unfairly for doing nothing wrong. Wonder how many people they will make a reason up for banning them since they have a big library of games just to make them have to buy them again..

Also your account has to be on friends/familys consoles to share games? Seems like a good way to do the banning if your account has to be on more than 1 console.

In that case, why even bother to buy video games?

The point is, of the two, which is the lesser evil?
    exactly. it comes to a point where they can't push anymore because we push back but eventually it gets closer to what they want than what we want.

Extreme Poster
    ^ yes. what about sony rootkit scandal. give it time and we will get shafted one way or another. they're making themselves look good at the moment then it will be a small change here and there to the small print and bam.
    Of course they all want money from us but there's an ethical way to do it and then there's an unethical way to do it. I understand that Sony has had its share of unethical practices, primarily outside of gaming but when was the last time they did it? More than 5+ years ago?

When did they do it in gaming?

^ they haven't yet but there's still time. but as i said all companies will try to extort as much money as possible and they will be as close to unethical as theycan get away with.( not just sony)

Extreme Poster
    ^ they haven't yet but there's still time. but as i said all companies will try to extort as much money as possible and they will be as close to unethical as theycan get away with.( not just sony)
    lol then you can argue that MS can do worse too, there's still time for them!

We should stop buying products because that's what all corporations want. There's no difference in any corporation.

as we can all see microsoft back peddling because they pushed to far but they still tried. they were probably hoping that sony were going to take a similar stand. i can't remember where I seen it but sony patented a similar idea for drm. but with a bit of clever pr we all see sony as wonderful. anyway of course we all should stop buying products video games are the work of the devil. we should all wear clothes made of hemp and never wash because soap companies are evil to.

Forum Guru
    Push people enough and they'll stop supporting. They can't get away with it as video games is not a necessity.

Video game crash should tell you how much bullshit people can take.

At the moment, Sony is winning the hearts & minds of the gamers, while MS seemingly making bad choices so much its ridiculously embarrassing.

Extreme Poster
    If Sony did the same things, I would stop supporting Sony. PC still looks like a good option.

Soldier 95B
    We believe that if you buy it, you own it, you're able to do with it what you want.
    Sweet. So I can rip it and distribute it via the internet and resell it. Done.

Thread Information