Will I need another new TV...Yikes

Hi all

I have a two TVs. A Phillips 32 inch LCD PFL 5322 that I use for gaming and watching TV that I have had from 2008 and a Samsung 43 inch plasma P43D490 that is used for gaming only and I have had from March 2012. Both are HD Ready and only output 720p as far as I am aware.

As the title of my thread suggests will I notice any difference on both or none of the above sets if connected to a PS4? I suppose I would abit but in the long run will I have to get a better set to make full use of the power and graphical output of the PS4? I have read that the games wont be output in 4K HD only video so surely I can get a few years out of my current setup? Any technical advice is much appreciated.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Nope, they both support HDMI inputs and the PS4 will output 720p.

The reality is it really depends on how far you sit from your TV as to how much (if any) difference you'll be able to see.

To be honest, I'd not worry about it right now. The PS4 will still provide siginificantly better image fidelity than the PS3 on those TVs. If you're sitting back far enough that 1080p isn't discernible over 720p (see chart above) then you're really right where you need to be for that size of TV.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by timewriter2003 View Post
    Hi all

I have a two TVs. A Phillips 32 inch LCD PFL 5322 that I use for gaming and watching TV that I have had from 2008 and a Samsung 43 inch plasma P43D490 that is used for gaming only and I have had from March 2012. Both are HD Ready and only output 720p as far as I am aware.

As the title of my thread suggests will I notice any difference on both or none of the above sets if connected to a PS4? I suppose I would abit but in the long run will I have to get a better set to make full use of the power and graphical output of the PS4? I have read that the games wont be output in 4K HD only video so surely I can get a few years out of my current setup? Any technical advice is much appreciated.
    Save your money, your tv's will be fine for the next several years.

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Save your money, your tv's will be fine for the next several years.
    Thank you very much. I think I was thinking to much about 4K HD. Its good to know theres a use for them. I am definitely pre ordering the PS4 tomorrow. Hopefully it doesnt die an early death like my launch PS3 did all those years ago!!

Ultimate Veteran
    dont worry about it you have hdmi on both sets you are good to go

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    The PS4 will support 4K video, but not on games, if you are in the market for a 4K TV, Amazon has one for pretty cheap now!

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-.../dp/B00BXF7I9M

Granted it is a no-name brand, but for $1081 for a 50" 4K you really can't beat that price! And to top it off, it actually has decent reviews!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Thread Information