Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Lef, if what I think is going to happen, pans out. You may well wish they were still in competition with Sony, not taking this different approach.

The human condition is to take the shortest possible route, and generally the easiest. That doesn't always mean we get what we want, and a select few can destroy a good idea.

What happens with hackers from here on out will determine this generation more than whatever millions Sony or MS can pour into advertising. I hope Im wrong, but Im a cynical bastard when it comes to gaming and hackers.

2. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Lef, if what I think is going to happen, pans out. You may well wish they were still in competition with Sony, not taking this different approach.

The human condition is to take the shortest possible route, and generally the easiest. That doesn't always mean we get what we want, and a select few can destroy a good idea.

What happens with hackers from here on out will determine this generation more than whatever millions Sony or MS can pour into advertising. I hope Im wrong, but Im a cynical bastard when it comes to gaming and hackers.
    Well, if that scenario plays out (and, I agree, that pendulum could swing in any direction at any time) then I'll be happy that I backed the machine that doesn't need a connection to play games at the end of the day.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Hell I aint backing either for a some
    time. All E3 did was make me
    appreciate what I have now, and with all these next gen games coming out this gen anyway...well I ill keep my money in my pocket until the dust settles and see where the chips fall.

One thing is for sure, two totally different courses are being plotted. Plenty of ice burgs in both courses. I believe MS has one mother of one to navigate before they even get out of the harbour.
    Last edited by mynd; 06-16-2013 at 10:53.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Sorry I got no clarification from that

Supreme Veteran
    Only one person playing a game at one time big difference is you don't have to
    give them the disc and they could be on the other side of the country and borrow a game. I'm not sure about you but I don't lend my games to ten people now.
    ...but borrowing to those ten people is only allowed based on restrictions and conditions. Plus I can rent on other platforms.

Can all 10 play at once? Can I and my brother play BF4 online together?

I have about 30 digital games and 70 odd disc games. Allowing my friends to borrow any one of those instantly is quite awesome.
    That is nice, it sounds cool, but what other option has Microsoft left us?

It sounds like a lot of "our way or the highway"

Remember when Microsoft used to be about choice? I do, that was awesome, I still want choice(s).
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by A7MAD View Post
    ...but borrowing to those ten people is only allowed based on restrictions and conditions. Plus I can rent on other platforms.

Can all 10 play at once? Can I and my brother play BF4 online together?

That is nice, it sounds cool, but what other option has Microsoft left us?

It sounds like a lot of "our way or the highway"

Remember when Microsoft used to be about choice? I do, that was awesome, I still want choice(s).
    Why they are doing this will become
    clear eventually, or it will fall by the wayside.

Also no, thats not true you cant share any digital content on the Sony side of the equation at all.
    Last edited by mynd; 06-16-2013 at 12:20.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Seen 3 different interviews with him and he's given different answers to similar questions in all of them. MS can't even get their own story straight after how many attempts now?

He has been very disingenuous about the "family" thing too. He was actually promoting working the system in your favour for gamesharing in another interview, do you really think it's going to work that way?

Supreme Veteran
    Why they are doing this will become
    clear eventually, or it will fall by the wayside.

Also no, thats not true you cant share any digital content on the Sony side of the equation at all.
    I have theories as to what MS' intentions are but nothing concrete, what are they?

I never mentioned Sony.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'd rather not have the game sharing to be honest. I've been thinking about it. Out of the friends list I have now, There are only one or two people that have games that I don't have. These are the games that I wouldn't even want to play anyways. /sigh....

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'd rather not have the game sharing to be honest. I've been thinking about it. Out of the friends list I have now, There are only one or two people that have games that I don't have. These are the games that I wouldn't even want to play anyways. /sigh....
    Yeah, and if you have 10 people all wanting to play the same game at the same time.....could get ugly. I can see it now....

F34R: "DAMMIT, LSL! GIVE ME BACK MY GAME!"

LSL: "...just a sec....just a sec..."

two hours later....

F34R: "LSL!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Supreme Veteran
    Let's say Microsoft succeeds with their "vision of the future" and game stores close down and you buy all your X1 games via XBL, who then can intervene if/when Microsoft says "we feel each game should retail for $75"?

What I mean is who is their left to regulate the pricing?

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Let's say Microsoft succeeds with their "vision of the future" and game stores close down and you buy all your X1 games via XBL, who then can intervene if/when Microsoft says "we feel each game should retail for $75"?

What I mean is who is their left to regulate the pricing?
    Competition from other services such as Steam and PSN. Once everything goes 100% downloaded games, the pricing will eventually adjust to the savings in much lower manufacturing costs (no physical media). Ultimately, that will be a good thing, but we aren't there yet.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Elite Guru
    If I borrow a game from my friend that he or she is not playing at the moment. How and the hell will I be able to play multi player with he or she if I just borrowed their game disc?

Thats is the approach that MS taking from what I see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Pssh if it was more like game sharing that would have been a major plus...ten people playing the game simultaneously

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Yeah, and if you have 10 people all wanting to play the same game at the same time.....could get ugly. I can see it now....

F34R: "DAMMIT, LSL! GIVE ME BACK MY GAME!"

LSL: "...just a sec....just a sec..."

two hours later....

F34R: "LSL!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Yeah I actually thought about that lol. What if you have a friend that wants to be a douche. Hey man, I'm about done! Give me a second! Sounds like my childhood. I didn't get to play after that.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by NextGenGamer2000 View Post
    Actually, you are incorrect on last bit.

You can activate games on multiple consoles as of now on PS side. Not only that you can BOTH play same copy at once. Also, as you know, PS3 still has this feature and doesn't require internet connection.

So I do not know why MS say they need 24 hour check for this feature.... it just sounds an excuse for DRM.
    Isnt that registering the machine to a particular PSN account?
    Thats not really the same, its not sharing between friends that simply sharing between machines on the same account, which is something they both do.

Supreme Veteran
    ...I do not know why MS say they need 24 hour check for this feature.... it just sounds an excuse for DRM.
    I asked a Microsoft employee this question, and his answer was so asinine I laughed and told him the answer was downright stupid.

His answer was that Microsoft invested heavy to boost their online infrastructure and have mandated a 24 hour ping so that people would use their servers....

Does that make reasonable sense to anybody? I must be tried or old or both because that sounds like the most stupid fu*king bull$#@! I've heard in a couple of months...

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I asked a Microsoft employee this question, and his answer was so asinine I laughed and told him the answer was downright stupid.

His answer was that Microsoft invested heavy to boost their online infrastructure and have mandated a 24 hour ping so that people would use their servers....

Does that make reasonable sense to anybody? I must be tried or old or both because that sounds like the most stupid fu*king bull$#@! I've heard in a couple of months...
    This is the most direct answer regarding the 24-hour check:

Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend.
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

The transferring of games happens in the cloud, so Microsoft needs to keep checking up on the status of your library to see if they need to give or remove rights to certain games.

Whenever Microsoft is asked about this in interviews though, they just mention a couple of the positives that come with the cloud, such as the family plan.

Thats not really the same, its not sharing between friends that simply sharing between machines on the same account, which is something they both do.
    Rihjt. Not the same. We have two PS3s but only one account with PS+ so we have to use that account on either console to play the PS+ games we have downloaded.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    This is the most direct answer regarding the 24-hour check:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

The transferring of games happens in the cloud, so Microsoft needs to keep checking up on the status of your library to see if they need to give or remove rights to certain games.

Whenever Microsoft is asked about this in interviews though, they just mention a couple of the positives that come with the cloud, such as the family plan.
    I'm understanding it a little more with this post Ixion.

I would like to see an option in the System menu or something similar. Game Sharing > ON/OFF (ON requires a 24hr online validation).

Something like that would be acceptable.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'm understanding it a little more with this post Ixion.

I would like to see an option in the System menu or something similar. Game Sharing > ON/OFF (ON requires a 24hr online validation).

Something like that would be acceptable.
    So does Major Nelson...

Someone on Reddit suggested this as a question:

Just an idea here. Why not allow there to be a Xbox Live option to allow “offline” mode, but it disables any family sharing? Like

“If Xbox One hasn’t connected in 24 hrs: [] Disable game & Allow Sharing [] Enable Game & Disallow Sharing”

Major Nelson responded to said question with:

I’d have to check w/ the engineers, but I don’t see why that would not be possible.
    http://n4g.com/news/1283236/microsof...ne-on-xbox-one

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    There ya go. Done. Do it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    I guess they learned from Sony's mistake and will not leave it open like Sony did with game sharing (before reducing it to 3 viable accounts...went from 5 to 3 lol)...
    Sony dropped it from 5 to 2 BTW. I wish it were 3. 3 would've been the ideal number for me. :'(

Actually, you are incorrect on last bit.

You can activate games on multiple consoles as of now on PS side. Not only that you can BOTH play same copy at once. Also, as you know, PS3 still has this feature and doesn't require internet connection.
    You always could. The limit was 5 different systems, but its only 2 now tho

Yes your linking ur account to a multiple machines, but do not need to be on that account to play that accounts games so you can both play together. You sure the XBox allows that?

Bout to check out the interview soon as I have time, but quick question. Since u can share with up to 10 "Family members" and only 1 person can play a game at any given time. Do they explain what happens when your playing and one or more of the other 9 people try to play it or you want to play your own game, but someone else already is?
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-17-2013 at 00:27.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Sony dropped it from 5 to 2 BTW. I wish it were 3. 3 would've been the ideal number for me. :'(

You always could. The limit was 5 different systems, but its only 2 now tho

Yes your linking ur account to a multiple machines, but do not need to be on that account to play that accounts games so you can both play together. You sure the XBox allows that?
    You need to be on that account to play it on the xbox.
    Does the PSN feature allow multiple registrations of machines to accounts.

i.e. one machine has multiple "shared" accounts on it?
    Bout to check out the interview soon as I have time, but quick question. Since u can share with up to 10 "Family members" and only 1 person can play a game at any given time. Do they explain what happens when your playing and one or more of the other 9 people try to play it or you want to play your own game, but someone else already is?
    I would imagine in the "library" it would appear as "checked out" or "already being played by XXXX".

I would imagine if you own the library you can tell the user to GTFO, and give them 5 minutes to do so.
    Last edited by mynd; 06-17-2013 at 00:33.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Or give the option to install and not make it mandatory. Games that are not installed will work after the 24 hr check because they haven't been tied to an account because a code hasn't been activated yet.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Thread Information