Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 12 111 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

[SPOILERS!] The Last of Us general discussion

The story was one of the best I have ever seen. What do you guys think of the ending? I don't agree with what Joel did, it was selfish as $#@! lol. I get that he had built up a bond with Ellie and the father/daughter relationship was clear...I get that they had the chance of a nice lif in his brother's settlement...but the Firefly's seemingly had a real chance to find a cure.

Anyway, it left it open for a sequel!
    Last edited by Ghost; 06-16-2013 at 06:20.

Apprentice
    I don't know about the firefly a getting the vaccine. In one of the recorders they say about Ellie's immunity and that they would need to make the fungus react. It sounded like it wasn't 100% going to work. Plus Joel and tess when talking say loads of people have been used for vaccines but none worked.

i personally don't want Joel and Ellie in the next one as it was the perfect story. Also next game set in LA? At the start in the car the radio announcer says LA is the latest city to go under. I'd love to see more stories from around the states. Is the infection worldwide?

Feel Free to Add Me on PSN

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Yeah there is that.

Man, Ellie's fight vs that guy in the burning bar was so $#@!ing cool. too...im still digesting the whole experience. What are everyones favourite parts?

I simply loved the game, the only thing that bothers me, is that it would have been great if, when you reached the operation room to save ellie. you could simple leave the room and leave ellie there for the operation, or you can save her. I think in that way the player is taking the decision of saving the world or be selfish and save ellie to have a happy life. I think that would really be a hard descicion but would have made the game more meaningful.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by david.dlpf View Post
    I simply loved the game, the only thing that bothers me, is that it would have been great if, when you reached the operation room to save ellie. you could simple leave the room and leave ellie there for the operation, or you can save her. I think in that way the player is taking the decision of saving the world or be selfish and save ellie to have a happy life. I think that would really be a hard descicion but would have made the game more meaningful.
    This x 1,000,000. I literally stood there for a minute with my shotty in the docs face, his scalple pointed at me, and I wanted to walk away...but couldn't.

Superior Member

Finished the game last night, what an experience! My favourite part isn't really a story part but its the intensity in which everything is delivered, the interrogation scene where Joel has the hostages finding out where Ellie is.... Wow and as mentioned above the bar fight between Ellie and the other guy.

Apprentice
    As far as the operating room is concerned, I burst in and shotguned everyone in there! I needed to save my poor Ellie.

My favourite part? Hmm. Well there's a few. I loved hunting the deer as Ellie and the whole of her arc in the winter. Switching characters at points in the winter section was so cool. Playing as Ellie you felt a little weaker (melee you'd get grabbed a lot but when performing a stealth kill, man it was brutal but satisfying). Then switching to Joel he was just so powerful and awesome.

Best weapon guys? Mine is either Bow, Flamethrower or Axe!

EDIT - who's playing a NG+? Are you changing difficulty? I may just stick to normal. I enjoyed it on that without getting frustrated
    Last edited by The Anderlation; 06-16-2013 at 11:17.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by The Anderlation View Post
    As far as the operating room is concerned, I burst in and shotguned everyone in there! I needed to save my poor Ellie.

My favourite part? Hmm. Well there's a few. I loved hunting the deer as Ellie and the whole of her arc in the winter. Switching characters at points in the winter section was so cool. Playing as Ellie you felt a little weaker (melee you'd get grabbed a lot but when performing a stealth kill, man it was brutal but satisfying). Then switching to Joel he was just so powerful and awesome.

Best weapon guys? Mine is either Bow, Flamethrower or Axe!

EDIT - who's playing a NG+? Are you changing difficulty? I may just stick to normal. I enjoyed it on that without getting frustrated
    Other fav part...playing as Ellie in the snow and stabbing everyone to death. You got to see just how much she had learnd from Joel and through her own experience...this 14 year old girl killing a dozen guys...

My fav weapons, the bow, the sniper rifle and the nail bombs..oh and the axe!

When you're walking with Ellie along the highway and come accross a bunch of thigs who jump down from a bus into the area...I imediately retreated back down the road, leaving 2 nail bombs. I thn got into a bus with my rifle and watched thm fall into my trap...blowing off the head of the surivor.

I find that the game has an excellent strategy mechanic to it. You can get really creative (lay a nail bomb then throw a bottle by it) and it's really intense.

Playing NG+ but you can only go down in difficulty

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Other fav part...playing as Ellie in the snow and stabbing everyone to death. You got to see just how much she had learnd from Joel and through her own experience...this 14 year old girl killing a dozen guys...

My fav weapons, the bow, the sniper rifle and the nail bombs..oh and the axe!

When you're walking with Ellie along the highway and come accross a bunch of thigs who jump down from a bus into the area...I imediately retreated back down the road, leaving 2 nail bombs. I thn got into a bus with my rifle and watched thm fall into my trap...blowing off the head of the surivor.

I find that the game has an excellent strategy mechanic to it. You can get really creative (lay a nail bomb then throw a bottle by it) and it's really intense.

Playing NG+ but you can only go down in difficulty
    That's ok with me about NG+. I don't think I can put myself through the torture of Survivor mode or Hard. I'm happy to fully level up the skills and weapons.

Yeah love how you can set traps and stalk the enemy. Some kills are just great. Shame we haven't got a share button as we'd be able to view that nail bomb trap scene

10. Likes PSgamer28 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    My favorite moment was near the end in the hospital when u find out what they do with Ellie. I really felt the anger from Joel, ran through the corridors, grabbed a poor firefly guy from behind, pointed the gun on another dude who was just some meters away, PENG head-shot the first, PENG, head-shot the second in my hands. Man this was so heavy you should have seen this, it was one fluid animation from me.
    Last edited by bariton1; 06-16-2013 at 12:41.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i disagree.

if ellie is immune she should be seen as humanities real life Eve. not some lab rat to discard
    its everyone else who is being selfish imo

that being said, Joel was being incredibly selfish and Ellie knows it. i think she too is torn between saving humanity and being selfish. which is why she allows Joel to make that decision.
    she spent an entire year seeing things she'd never seen before. Gnomes, Giraffes, Skyscrapers! she does things she could only have dreamed of like riding a horse, walking through the woods etc
    she's differed to his judgement though knows he's reasoning is wrong.

this can be seen in her demeanor too.
    at the start of the game she's very cautious and full of questions. by mid way she's very ambitious and joyful.....rambunctious. and when you get to the hospital she becomes incredibly melancholy. she becomes the total opposite of the Ellie so far in the story. she's internally conflicted. she feel obliged to those once close to her to find the cure, yet, she's only just coming off an amazing adventure she couldn't possibly have imagined herself in which has given greater meaning to her life.

life becomes more than just "surviving" to her. for the first time in 13 years Ellie actually lived (whilst simultaneously surviving)

she is one messed up girl and neither Joel, the fireflies or the asshole who kidnapped her help her get to grips with her "unique" situation.

Naughty Dog hit this story out of the park.

the highest levels of accolades do not do the game justice.

simply superb, flawless!
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 06-16-2013 at 13:21.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSN ID
    Calinton
    Hey to all the last of us!

So Naughty Dog totally outdid themselves again. Just about every perspective the game is better than the Uncharted series, especially the story. I've just completed my first run of the game which took me about 16 hours give or take and I've gotta say i am totally drawn into the world losing myself.

So i'll cut to the chase. Although i've gotta agree that Joel was being selfish (And a tad evil towards the end), it's really depending on who's shoes you were in. I just think that after Sarah, Joel couldn't take another loss at someone he finally gets to care about again. And for the record if i were Joel, i'd do that too. Although i don't have a daughter to relate to, but through the magic of ND i can really feel for Joel.

As for Ellie, yeah she finally get to "live" a life and having her to sacrifice herself for mankind is a bit harsh. But if i were Ellie, i would take the chance, because living a life worrying about my safety 24/7 isn't exactly fun and who is it to say that i can live the rest of my life and die a natural death?

Although i wouldn't say that the story ended in the best way, but it surely is the vision of ND and i totally trust them! But still, if only Joel and Firefly decided to wait for Ellie to regain consciousness and let HER decide instead of anyone else, i would have been more satisfied.

And my favourite part? Unlike others i think the prologue chapter was pretty awesome. How a daughter loves her dad and vice versa, witnessing the outbreak, father providing uncompromising protection, and finally ended in despair. What an experience! However, that made me wonder how did Joel even lived through all the 20 years? What is he living for, provided that he doesn't even care about his brother anymore? Also he doesn't seem to be too close to Tess either, at least seeing how ND presented them.

Ok that's it for now, i'll need to tidy up my emotional side and get ready for Monday again! And of course eventually another NG+! Good luck guys!

p/s: Now ND, what's next? I would totally dig a "10 years later" in the next TLOU!

Apprentice
    Good post calinton. Remember when Sam was talking to Ellie and said what are you afraid of. She said being alone. Not the infected. Just something to think of.

Anyway speculation time. Single player DLC when will it be in the story? I personally don't think they'll go for after the end. It will either be Joel looking after Tommy as they spoke about in the Factory Community when he told Tommy about Ellie being immune. Or my other thought would be Joel and Tess before we first meet them both. So somewhere between his daughter getting killed and the 20 years later

15. Likes PSgamer28 likes this post

I don't see that much selfishness on Joel's part. In the beginning, he might have tossed her off and not given it a second thought, but I view his decision has wanting to bear the secret of his, while Ellie is free to live her own life. I think that was going through his mind when he tried to get her to turn back while Ellie was watching the giraffe's. He saw this little girl who was having to do all these things that a little girl shouldn't have to do, and I could tell that it tore Joel apart whenever Ellie shot someone, or had to take care of him. We see this best after Ellie was hacking away at David's face, and Joel intervened. Joel would never have wanted for her to go through that.

So, yes, was there SOME selfishness when he lied to her? Sure, we're all human. But I don't see it as selfish when Joel infiltrated the hospital and took on the fireflies all so that he could save Ellie, so that she could live her own life.

I never wanted to deny a cure to the human race more than I did in this game, lol.

One of my highlight moments was kind of a subtle one, but it was when David was stalking you in the burning bar. I was creeping up behind him, and I stepped on the broken plates, and he whipped around and boasted about how he "found me". I was like, oh $#@!! My final kill on him was when I was behind cover, waiting for him to reveal himself. Then I saw his machete poking out from behind a booth, which indicated which way he was facing behind his cover, so I creeped around to the other side and jumped him! It was great!

There were a lot more badass moments in this game, but I don't have time to list them...

17. Likes shepard likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by whattheproblem View Post
    I don't see that much selfishness on Joel's part. In the beginning, he might have tossed her off and not given it a second thought, but I view his decision has wanting to bear the secret of his, while Ellie is free to live her own life. I think that was going through his mind when he tried to get her to turn back while Ellie was watching the giraffe's. He saw this little girl who was having to do all these things that a little girl shouldn't have to do, and I could tell that it tore Joel apart whenever Ellie shot someone, or had to take care of him. We see this best after Ellie was hacking away at David's face, and Joel intervened. Joel would never have wanted for her to go through that.
    this is what i was thinking too, but one of his very last lines indicates something a little broken within Joel. he talks about Sarah as if she is still a small girl. which she wouldn't have been since 21 years would've passed. he seems to have replaced Sarah with Ellie, and he's stuck in the past (which would explain his detachment to everybody)

It's Ellie who probably doesn't want to hurt Joel. which is why she gives him the opportunity to come clean.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

19. Likes Equinoqs likes this post

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    this is what i was thinking too, but one of his very last lines indicates something a little broken within Joel. he talks about Sarah as if she is still a small girl. which she wouldn't have been since 21 years would've passed. he seems to have replaced Sarah with Ellie, and he's stuck in the past (which would explain his detachment to everybody)

It's Ellie who probably doesn't want to hurt Joel. which is why she gives him the opportunity to come clean.
    Good observation. Every good character has some kind of "ghost" which follows him/her around, and in Joel's case it's Sarah. But I think part of Joel's arc is when he finally accepts Sarah's photo from Ellie. He is finally accepting his past, and when he compares Ellie to Sarah, I think that's a good moment for his character -- that he is finally coming to grips with his past. Previously he rejected the photo, so I believe he's been trying to run away from his past. So yes, I think you could definitely say he was still stuck in that time, but for the sake of unsuccessfully trying to get away from it, instead of trying to live in it.

Apprentice
    Just playing my New Game+ and a few things so far:

Tommy : you have any idea what's going on out there?
    Joel: I have some notion.

Does this mean anything? Don't think we actually know what Joel's job was. I'm sort of getting at does he know about the infection before it hits?

Just playing my New Game+ and a few things so far:

Tommy : you have any idea what's going on out there?
    Joel: I have some notion.

Does this mean anything? Don't think we actually know what Joel's job was. I'm sort of getting at does he know about the infection before it hits?
    I know, at the beginning, he was on the phone with some contractor. So I'm guessing he had a job in construction. I think he got the "notion" due to news coverage. If you go in the bathroom, while you are wondering around as Sarah, you'll see a newspaper near the toilet which details a mysterious infection bringing patients to the hospital. And while you are stuck in that traffic jam, those are hospital patients that bite that guy.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by whattheproblem View Post
    I know, at the beginning, he was on the phone with some contractor. So I'm guessing he had a job in construction. I think he got the "notion" due to news coverage. If you go in the bathroom, while you are wondering around as Sarah, you'll see a newspaper near the toilet which details a mysterious infection bringing patients to the hospital. And while you are stuck in that traffic jam, those are hospital patients that bite that guy.

Yeah I thought it may be that. Was just thinking why not just say "TV and paper says it an infection". I'm just digging too much and thinking way too much haha.

Id love to know what started it and where patient zero was. Was it a natural disease or was it a WMD or biological weapon?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Yeah I thought it may be that. Was just thinking why not just say "TV and paper says it an infection". I'm just digging too much and thinking way too much haha.

Id love to know what started it and where patient zero was. Was it a natural disease or was it a WMD or biological weapon?
    Who knows, we might get those answers. ND is going to be releasing DLC after all. While I highly doubt that information will be in the first DLC package, it may show up eventually. Or, the game could be such a hit that ND turns it into a series.

Personally though, I don't want to know where ground zero was, or how it happened. That's part of the magic of these types of stories. It's always a mystery. I wont be upset if I learn what it is, but I am perfectly content with just learning of various characters stories, and how they react to being "The Last of Us"

Also, the game was absolutely wonderful. I was bored for the first little bit after the prologue, but a couple of hours pushing my way through resulted in me being unable to put the game down. Even after beating it I want it to keep going. My playtime was about 19 hours, though I know at least 2-5 of those were me just letting it sit.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Apprentice
    Also just got to the Marlene part after we kill Robert. Do we find out why she's so banged up? Could be another part of the DLC? I want to be in this universe for a long time. I hope the rumours are true that bend studio (Golden Abyss) are doing Uncharted 4, which leaves Naughty Gods to flesh this universe out more

Well, Tommy did say that it started in the south. Or, at least, that's maybe where the coverage of it started? Who knows, haha.

Apprentice
    Also just another thing, When we meet Bill, Joel says he owes him? Why? Only thing I've got is Tess' List. It is when you get Ellie to the safe room before the night escape beyond the wall. It shows a load of deliveries from Bill. How does he owe Joel?

I looked up "Cordyceps" online, and it says that it's a parasitic fungus that it propagated in humid/sub-tropical climates. So it would make sense for the fungus to start in the southern states, where there is an abundance of humid climates. This makes me believe that the infection is a simple natural process, and not man-made. Also, if it is a natural process, then it plays into ND's theme about nature reclaiming the ugliness of mankind. I'm curious about how cordyceps mutated to the point to where it was able to infect humans, whereas it normally just infects insects. But then again I don't know if the infection is literally cordyceps, or a new infection ND based off of cordyceps. Probably the latter, since in the game Scientists have spent decades trying to find a cure for it.

Apprentice
    It could just be mutated form of cordyceps. I don't believe it can infect a human (i dont know this though) hence why there's no cure.

Thread Information