Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Anderlation View Post
    Just playing my New Game+ and a few things so far:

Tommy : you have any idea what's going on out there?
    Joel: I have some notion.

Does this mean anything? Don't think we actually know what Joel's job was. I'm sort of getting at does he know about the infection before it hits?
    My thinking was that he made a snappy comment at Tommy because obviously he had a lot more than "some notion". He was attacked by an infected just a minute ago! He had blood all over him as Tommy notices directly after Joels comment.
    "My thesis will smash a stereo to pieces
    My accapella releases plastic masterpieces through telekinesis"

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Does this mean anything? Don't think we actually know what Joel's job was. I'm sort of getting at does he know about the infection before it hits?
    Joel's a construction contractor I think. Also, he knew something was up because:

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    An absolute masterpiece. Everything about it was superb, from the story to the gameplay.

As for the ending, I thought it was great. Besides leaving it open for a sequal, they clearly want the player to be somewhat conflicted as to what Joel does. This is the type of universe/story where there is no clear right or wrong, and I love it for that.

I think ND should also be commended for actually making the partner AI not only not complete $#@!, but also actually useful. I loved how she would pick up ammo for me, or jump on a guy and stab him if he had me grappled.

As far as weapons, did anyone else find the machete? I only saw it at one part (the house that Ellie runs away to in Wyoming), but it was so satisfying to use. Ellie's knife was fun too, I loved getting revenge on those guys.

Last thought for now, which is my only criticism (and I mean it mostly jokingly). Considering how often they ran in to water, don't you think at some point over the course of basically a year Ellie would have learned how to swim?

Quote Originally Posted by Felix336 View Post
    An absolute masterpiece. Everything about it was superb, from the story to the gameplay.

As for the ending, I thought it was great. Besides leaving it open for a sequal, they clearly want the player to be somewhat conflicted as to what Joel does. This is the type of universe/story where there is no clear right or wrong, and I love it for that.

I think ND should also be commended for actually making the partner AI not only not complete $#@!, but also actually useful. I loved how she would pick up ammo for me, or jump on a guy and stab him if he had me grappled.

As far as weapons, did anyone else find the machete? I only saw it at one part (the house that Ellie runs away to in Wyoming), but it was so satisfying to use. Ellie's knife was fun too, I loved getting revenge on those guys.

Last thought for now, which is my only criticism (and I mean it mostly jokingly). Considering how often they ran in to water, don't you think at some point over the course of basically a year Ellie would have learned how to swim?
    Thankfully, there was an abundance of wooden pallet's for her to jump on! Lol

Another small thing I loved was how Ellie would hang further back if she was upset with you. Like when Joel didn't thank her for shooting that guy. It almost made me feel guilty when I would see her leaning up against a wall instead of hanging close to me.

PSN ID
    Calinton
    Well i'm gonna bet that ND will make a series out of this one but Neil Druckmann was pretty sure it won't star Joel and Ellie. But i really hope he change his mind because i would really love to see more of Joel and Ellie, unless ND delivers a DLC that tell more of them. But if he really made up his mind about a sequel, i just hope they make Joel and Ellie supporting characters or at least cameo them!

Wishful thinking aside, please ND, don't stop making more TLOU!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Given the ending of TLOU, I don't know if I would want to see Joel and Ellie in a sequel. I would almost rather play the role of another group that's just trying to get by, or something. Maybe part of a reconquista style group dedicated to eliminating the infected from the world, one city at a time. I certainly wouldn't complain about seeing Joel and Ellie again, but I honestly doubt it will happen. It ended in such an epic way.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Given the ending of TLOU, I don't know if I would want to see Joel and Ellie in a sequel. I would almost rather play the role of another group that's just trying to get by, or something. Maybe part of a reconquista style group dedicated to eliminating the infected from the world, one city at a time. I certainly wouldn't complain about seeing Joel and Ellie again, but I honestly doubt it will happen. It ended in such an epic way.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff

No, this is a reference to what Joel and Tommy did while "surviving." Remember how he knew about the trap in Pittsburgh having "been on both sides" and all of that? Joel became a stone cold killer and they were likely part of a group that preyed on travelers and other survivors. So Joel saying "I have some idea" is just a dry reference that yes, he knows how bad PEOPLE are being out there, let alone the threat from the infected. Think about it. Do we meet a somewhat normal friendly person during the whole game? MAYBE Sam and his brother, yet they bolt at the first real danger so I'm not sure they count. At the dam, the only reason they don't kill Joel and Ellie is Tommy. It's a BAD world and humanity has devolved to savagery. Even cannibalism to survive. The government has made the quarantine zones nothing but a strictly run military camp. There doesn't appear to be any art or contemplation. People are smugglers and doing illegal things just to get more food cards to ensure they can eat DECENTLY for a while longer.

In that world, man I really think Joel did the wrong thing. ANY chance at getting things back under control needs to be taken. That said, I understand why his character couldn't and wouldn't accept that. Joel has absolutely NO faith in science or government, those both having failed miserably over the past 20 years. Who's to say the "cure" isn't just wishful thinking on the part of these scientists and in the end her death would be for nothing anyway? He keeps this from Ellie because she, of course, would have given herself up. She's not nearly as jaded as Joel, which is part of why he comes to love her as well.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Just finished it! Survival-horror's -really- not my cup of tea but I enjoyed it tremendously. I was bracing myself for the sort of horrible and poorly designed endings that can keep showing up in games (I'm looking at you LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption) but this one worked for me. I wish I could have played it more leisurely but I'm leaving for 2 weeks tomorrow so I wanted to have it done before I went.
    Playtime: 19hours in 2 1/2 days. Yeesh. I may do a proper review of it later but I think I need to go outside for a while now...

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Amazing game overall, a game that can make someone buy a console. This is what consoles needs in this gen , much more of this please.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatesServant View Post
    -FatesServant
    It reminds me ending of
    I don't think we will play much with Joel in 2nd game, but Ellie will stay in game like forever since she is the special one.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

PSU Live Streamer
    I just finished the game. It took all the willpower I had to try and make this game last as long as possible, and I only made it to day 4. Words cannot describe how I feel about this game. I got choked up more than once during this experience. I got angry more than once during this experience. And I felt my adrenaline pumping more than once during this experience. And everytime I felt those emotions, it was while either Joel or Ellie was feeling them. I have never felt so connected to a game in my entire life...and I've been a gamer for 25+ years.

This isn't game of the year for me...

It's not even game of this generation...

This is the best game I've ever played.

12. Likes FireSol , The Anderlation, Bodie_CI5 likes this post

PSN ID
    Calinton
    So I went back the 2nd time to start a New Game (not +) on Survival. Went through the prologue and it's amazing how the 2nd time around, Sarah's death still keeps me breathless. I wasn't able to understand myself for reacting like this until i came across this incredible article stating why Sarah is actually THE most important character in the game, aka the pillar that the game built itself upon.

I'd strongly suggest reading the article for those who are even remotely interested, it really tells a lot. But for those tl;dr, it summarizes that how it's largely due to the incredible motion/voice acting from Hana Hayes and Troy Baker. Also the way ND switch you between both of the character's perspective makes you able to thoroughly bond the father and daughter together. As a result, this built into the whole Joel and Ellie's relationship. I know it sounds all on the cosmetic side of the game but I can say it makes total sense, and in a black magic way. Again, please read the article, it just makes so much sense.

Just 2 days ago, i wished that ND would make a DLC telling more of Joel and Ellie. But after the article, i really wish that ND would focus on the hardships of Joel in overcoming the loss of the only life he had which was his daughter. ND should also present us with the reason why Joel continues to fight for his live for another 20 years, which according to the article, it is just to keep the memory of his daughter for as long as he can.

Enjoy!

14. Likes TwentyThree likes this post

Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Good read, and it makes sense.

The Last Of Us is a slow game, intentionally slow, because it has a story to tell and takes the time to do it. Naughty Dog knows that if you're not making an "action" game, then you need to engage your player on a deep emotional level to keep them engaged and what they achieve with their ingenious implementation of Joel's daughter, Sarah, is a personal investment beyond perhaps any game I have ever played. And they achieve it in less than 10 minutes.

Perhaps the most important and impacting part of Sarah's role in the game, aside from being Joel's daughter of course, is that you get to PLAY as her. You experience her relationship with her dad from her point of view, you feel the fear and confusion of this "apocalypse" in a far simpler and more naive, child-like way that really makes you feel vulnerable, dependent and scared.

It's the little touches that really draw you in and make the difference. Every little breath, gasp and "oops" that comes from the character as you play that draws you into her POV. The small items around the house which are, at face value, insignificant such as the birthday card and the note on the fridge, but add a great deal of weight to the relationship between Sarah and Joel. The sequence inside the car where Naughty Dog essentially turns you into a confused and scared little kid, clambering 360' around the back seat trying to soak up everything going on around you. EVERY event on the roadside, no matter how banal, becomes a tool to draw you into the story. Sarah's animations, her body language, her occasional comments and the tone in which they are delivered turn a flat statement like "We shoulda helped them" into a meaningful, character-building device that draws you deeper and deeper into Sarah's world.

If we are honest with ourselves I think most of us knew right off the bat that Sarah was going to die. The optimist could be forgiven for thinking that she would get separated from Joel and hopefully turn up 20 years later, but in our heart of hearts I think most, if not all of us knew that Sarah's life was going to be tragically, criminally short.

By the time we get out of the car, we remember what it was like to be young, confused, a little $#@!y, but ultimately dependent on "daddy" giving us a powerful perspective on the surrounding events and relationships that few, if any, games strive to offer. This device (forgive my clinical terminology) adds a great deal of impact to the first time you play as Joel:

Clambering out of the car, you immediately become the protector. Not an action movie, gun-slinging protector. A Father. A man who's only joy and privilege in the world is the love of his daughter. As the player, you feel deeply attached to Sarah and you want to protect and save her, not just for the sake of gameplay, but for the sake of the father and the child.

In any other game, a "carry" sequence is a token nod toward relationship or paternity, but in The Last Of Us it is a personal mission to protect the only thing you have in this world and the one that is most precious to you and worth the cost of your own life. Not just a thing, not even another person, but your daughter.

By the time you are almost free and clear, your relationship with these two characters is absolutely cemented. You genuinely feel connected to them and fear the worst for them and sadly, the worst that you feared, finally happens. In a bid to save his daughters life, Joel fails. You know that her death is not his fault, that everything he could do, he did. Still, you know for certain that he blames himself, how could he not. Now matter how impossible a feat, a father simply does not let his child come to harm. It's how every parent thinks.

I cried.....

The level of detail that goes into playing as Sarah is KEY to endearing her to you. Living through her eyes and experiencing her death through her Father's creates unparalleled gravitas to the opening sequence and intense emotional investment into the characters, taking TLOU from being a survival story about "zombies" to a story about a man struggling to cope with his loss, his inner demons and the need to survive if only to keep the memory of his daughter alive.

The first 10 minutes of The Last Of Us and the character of Sarah are the reason that this game excels. Not in any way belittling the excellent story and acting that follows, which make this a great game, the character of Sarah and the ability to play from her POV is a powerhouse move on the part of Naughty Dog that propels this game above nearly every other game in the art of story telling. Certainly in the in the wide genre of "shooter", there is no game that engages you more on an emotional level, in my opinion.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bodie_CI5
    Items ApplePS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I just finished the game. It took all the willpower I had to try and make this game last as long as possible, and I only made it to day 4. Words cannot describe how I feel about this game. I got choked up more than once during this experience. I got angry more than once during this experience. And I felt my adrenaline pumping more than once during this experience. And everytime I felt those emotions, it was while either Joel or Ellie was feeling them. I have never felt so connected to a game in my entire life...and I've been a gamer for 25+ years.

This isn't game of the year for me...

It's not even game of this generation...

This is the best game I've ever played.
    I just finished THE EXPERIENCE too, literally just minutes ago (on Easy).

What you've written, shepard, I concur on every single point. I've actually been kinda messed up these past few days.

Having started playing on my cousin's Vectrex, then our own C64, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, Amiga CD32, then all the iterations of the PC, PS-One, Original X-Box, and having gone through hundreds of games, only The Last of Us has brought out such full emotion, and connection. In fact, anything else I say, will have been covered by your post. And, yes, including the choking up.

I, along with my brother, am a great fan of that two-season show, Jericho (the bloke in my avatar). That full-dystopian atmosphere prevalent in the series, truly, pales into almost insignificance in front of this game - or I should say, experience.

I do not regret buying the collectors edition. And I do not regret buying the two-figure statue. I don't know how else I can express my love for this game/experience.

Looks like a great discussion is taking place in this thread over selfish or unselfish narrative at the end (ie. the hospital scene and beyond). I will read with anticipation.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodie_CI5 View Post
    I just finished THE EXPERIENCE too, literally just minutes ago (on Easy).

What you've written, shepard, I concur on every single point. I've actually been kinda messed up these past few days.

Having started playing on my cousin's Vectrex, then our own C64, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, Amiga CD32, then all the iterations of the PC, PS-One, Original X-Box, and having gone through hundreds of games, only The Last of Us has brought out such full emotion, and connection. In fact, anything else I say, will have been covered by your post. And, yes, including the choking up.

I, along with my brother, am a great fan of that two-season show, Jericho (the bloke in my avatar). That full-dystopian atmosphere prevalent in the series, truly, pales into almost insignificance in front of this game - or I should say, experience.

I do not regret buying the collectors edition. And I do not regret buying the two-figure statue. I don't know how else I can express my love for this game/experience.

Looks like a great discussion is taking place in this thread over selfish or unselfish narrative at the end (ie. the hospital scene and beyond). I will read with anticipation.
    I'm glad I've found a kindred spirit

Whats crazy is that I played for quite a bit more on sunday than I had wanted to. Friday and Saturday I told myself, no more then 3-4 hrs per day, I need to make this last as long as possible. Well sunday I played for considerably more time than that. 11:45pm rolled around and Joel was what appeared to be fatally wounded, and I was suddenly put in Ellie's shoes...and I had to stop. Work day monday morning, couldn't stay up any longer.

But that moment was so intense, and though my head hit the pillow at midnight I couldn't sleep. Last I remember checking my alarm clock was 1:30am before I finally fell asleep. My mind was racing about that game the entire time.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bodie_CI5
    Items ApplePS3 Slim

Whats crazy is that I played for quite a bit more on sunday than I had wanted to. Friday and Saturday I told myself, no more then 3-4 hrs per day, I need to make this last as long as possible. Well sunday I played for considerably more time than that. 11:45pm rolled around and Joel was what appeared to be fatally wounded, and I was suddenly put in Ellie's shoes...and I had to stop. Work day monday morning, couldn't stay up any longer.

But that moment was so intense, and though my head hit the pillow at midnight I couldn't sleep. Last I remember checking my alarm clock was 1:30am before I finally fell asleep. My mind was racing about that game the entire time.
    Indeed!

haha, your experiences at night are like mine, except, me being the idiot that I am, I start later to finish later...

Friday night, my brother and I begin playing at 10pm (severe lack of sleep all week), and finish at 3am that morning. 2hrs and 45mins later I have to wake up on Saturday morning, to take minutes of a meeting. I come back later that day absolutely exhausted.

Saturday night, we play again from 10pm until 2:30am, only because he has to wake up Sunday morning to go interstate again (he awoke at 6am).

Sunday night, by myself, from 9:30pm until 2am. My mind at work is off-key and was highly irritable in the morning, not because of lack of sleep, but the game kinda messed with my mind in the sense of 'I have a mission to attend to; this paper-pushing is not in sync with what my real purpose in life is'.

Monday night, from 9:30 until 2am again. Same scenario at work today.

Tonight, again from 9:30pm until 12am whereupon I finish the game.

I truly feel drained. My mind, too, was racing when I went to bed. On the train and at work, my mind has been on the game.

Far out, I have never experienced this sort of thing before. 8 years of WoW, which although I loved, has nothing on this gem. Same for every other game I've played. Not that other games are now junk or anything. They simply have not afforded me this sort of emotional output: fear, relief, anger, swelling of the throat, hatred at that abductor/cannibal (I forget his name!), that predatory instinct, sheer fright when first encountering clickers (something that never really waned), that sense of dystopia with evil militiamen/gangs, laughter, struggle. The list is almost endless! It has it all!

Haha! You could not have stopped at a more inopportune time! Playing as Ellie was one of the highlights of the game for me.

Just finished the game last night. It is absolutely one of the most powerful and emotional games I have ever played.

What I'm about to say was a small thing, but it really added to the experience for me. Towards the end right before seeing the giraffes, Joel sees a ladder sitting on the wall. Ellie is just chilling on the bench not saying anything. Joel turns around ready to boost her up, and I just expected the normal animation where she walks up and gets boosted up. However, Joel is sitting there in the ready position, looks off camera, and completely catches me off guard when he realizes that Ellie is still sitting down. Naughty Dog has a very good habit at sometimes bringing a twist to the basic game mechanics. That alone really blew me away. I've never felt closer to a video game character than I did to these two.

PSU Live Streamer
    Looking back, there are a couple things I would liked to have seen in the game, and both are taken from Farcry3.

Predatory animals. There was one town you walk into when traveling with sam and his brother and you see a few dogs on the road. I wasn't even near them and fight/flight kicked in. I tossed a smoke bomb at them lol. Was kinda disappointed they just ran from me. Also I thought for sure those infected monkeys were going to come at me.

AI vs. AI. Never came across a segment where I'd be fighting hunters and suddenly a few infected would stroll into town and start attacking other AI.

Apprentice

Got myself the Limited Edition Strategy Guide. I'm playing my New Game + (Normal) then ill play Survival then use this guide to get all the collectibles on another NG+ then try Survival on NG+ if I like it. Lots of Last of Us to play

Feel Free to Add Me on PSN

PSU Live Streamer
    I just ordered that same strat guide on amazon, along with pre-ordering a hardcover art book and the first paperback comic book thats going to be released.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    This is the first time in my life, I want to buy a dlc lol, that alone tells how awesome this game is.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

25. Likes snooper71, shepard likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    This is the first time in my life, I want to buy a dlc lol, that alone tells how awesome this game is.
    So true. I may actually buy the season pass for this depending on the first dlc.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Master Guru

This is the first game in years that I have really wanted to buy. Gonna get this as soon as pay day comes round.

Is it really as good as everyone is saying?!

Actually can't wait to play it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Right now I'm playing my NG+, and I initiated one of those optional conversations Joel and Ellie have. I guess I must have missed it the first time, but it's when you first enter Pittsburgh. Ellie looks at a corpse laying out of one of the cars, and wonders if the Hunters did it. Joel guesses it was the military, and when Ellie asks why Joel says that, "Dead people can't become infected. Sacrifice the few to save the many." Ellie says "That's kind of $#@!ty". Had Joel asked if she would've sacrificed herself for humanity, I wonder what her answer would've been at that moment. I thought it was interesting, because it was good foreshadowing of the events towards the end.

Side note, it's amazing how fresh the story still feels on a second playthrough.

Thread Information