Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

PS4 40% more powerful than the One

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaud...out-at-amazon/

Sony PlayStation 4 Launch Edition Already Sold Out At Amazon

Gamers are speaking with their wallets following E3 2013, a show that was dominated by SonyPlayStation 4 in the next gen battle.Amazon has already sold out of the $400 PlayStation 4 launch edition of the next gen console, which will be available on day one of Sony’s launch. Sony is still selling PS4 as a $400 Standard Edition, but is not guaranteeing when gamers will receive that version this fall.

PS4 is also being bundled as a $500 bundle with two different versions, one including Electronic Arts’ Battlefield 4 and PS Plus and one including GuerillaGames’ Killzone Shadow Fall and PS Plus. There are also two other bundles retailing for $460, one including Sony’s Knack and the other including Ubisoft’s Watch Dog.

The Xbox One Day One Edition is still available for $500. Amazon is not currently selling any Xbox One bundles. Microsoft MSFT -0.91%’s Forza Motorsport 5 is the only Xbox One game in the Top 20 bestselling games list on the site. Sony has three PS4 games (Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4 and Killzone Shadow Fall) in the Top 20. Gamers are also buying the Dualshock 4 PS4 controller and the PlayStation 4 Camera. Three of the PS4 bundles (all but the Knack bundle) are in the Top 20 in Amazon sales.

While the PS4 Standard Edition is listed number one and Xbox One Day One Edition is listed number two on Amazon, sources have told me that PS4 is outselling Xbox One by two to one. I’ve emailed Amazon to confirm these numbers, but have not heard back. Baird video game analyst Colin Sebastian confirmed that PS4 is outselling Xbox One on both Amazon and GameStop GME +3.94%, but has not revealed any specific numbers.

Amazon is currently running a Facebook FB -0.34%poll asking consumers which console they’ll purchase, PS4 or Xbox One. With only six hours left in the poll, 95% of the over 40,000 gamers who replied said they’d be purchasing a PS4.
    Michael Pachter, video game analyst for Wedbush Securities, expects Sony to sell 12 to 15 million PS4s in its first year. He expects an unsubsidized Xbox One will sell 9 to 10 million in its first year.

“I still expect a subsidy for the Xbox One, and each $100 in lower price probably represents 4 to 5 million units annually,” said Pachter. “At E3, Sony highlighted its used game and DRM policies, and that will make a difference to the hardcore. With that said, there are a lot if Microsoft fan boys out there, so it may not mean a share shift of more than 1 to 2 million consoles. I don’t think ‘new’ customers will understand or care that much.”

But those numbers are for the first entire year at retail shelves. Pachter believes Sony and Microsoft will only have about 3 million consoles available worldwide for launch. PJ McNealy, analyst for Digital World Research, said that historically no console has sold more than 1 to 2 million units in North America in a launch window.

Even when consoles are popular, like Nintendo Wii was at launch, supply is shared across the world and the demand doesn’t catch up until the following year. Early numbers are showing a demand for PS4 and Xbox One, but the strong showing by Nintendo Wii U at E3 hasn’t bumped its next gen console into the Top 20 on Amazon and none of the new Wii U first party exclusives have made the list.

I was able to check out both PS4 and Xbox One games with hands-on demos at E3 this past week. Infamous Second Son stood out in the Sony first party camp, along with Driveclub, Killzone Shadow Fall and Knack. Microsoft had a solid racer with Forza Motorsport 5 and Capcom’s Dead Rising 3 offered an open world zombie experience. Respawn’s Titanfall (an Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC exclusive) stood out in the crowded shooter genre with its micture of giant Titans and on-foot pilots gameplay.

In talking to a developer who wished to remain anonymous, gamers will see a difference on Day One when they compare third party PS4 games to Xbox One head-to-head. The developer told me the PS4 is 40 percent more powerful than Xbox One and games like Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.

In the past, Xbox 360 games looked better out of the gate and over time PS3 games progressively improved to the point where games like The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls stand out even against some next gen titles. But if this differentiator holds true, not only will Xbox One games have DRM issues and no rental options and limited used game opportunities, the games won’t look as good as PS4 titles. That sounds like a perfect storm of negativity for the hardcore gamers.

This processing power issue also could be a potential reason behind the latest controversy that has emerged for Microsoft at E3, in which photos were taken of some Xbox One games running on Windows 7 PCs with NVIDIA graphics cards. Sony PS4 developers took to Twitter saying PS4 demos were running on PS4 dev kits. I know playing PS4 games behind closed doors that the PS4 was clearly visible as I played.

Microsoft certainly has a lot of work to do between now and its November launch to win over gamers. It’s the hardcore that are voting now early on sites like Amazon and GameStop. There’s also a much larger audience to connect with. But right now the number of negative stories surrounding Xbox One far outweigh anything positive.

Of course power means nothing if it does't translate to the screen. In the PS4's case it apparently does. I like reading that out of the gate the PS4 is better looking on multi-platform titles. And I would be that the unidentified dev is from Activision as he specifically mentions CoD: Ghosts.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    The American gamers won't care that the PS4 is more powerful. It's because of games like Halo that the average Joe will buy an Xbox One. The PlayStation brand is going to have to do a lot for non hard core American gamers to pick it over the Xbox One.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

PSN ID
    DirtyDog1979
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    The American gamers won't care that the PS4 is more powerful. It's because of games like Halo that the average Joe will buy an Xbox One. The PlayStation brand is going to have to do a lot for non hard core American gamers to pick it over the Xbox One.
    yeah like make it $100 cheaper.

4. Likes MjW likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Average Joe 'Merica will buy it. But no one else. lol.
    I have a hard time believing it'll make it past 40million sales in its life.

Everyone should just buy a PS4 its better for the industry as a whole and our games wont get butchered between two sides.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

6. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Superior Member
    As a current Xbox 360 ONLY gamer I disagree. I will be making the switch to Sony come November. I would never buy a console because of one game. Aside from Halo and Forza, what does MS really have?

I'm sure the "average Joe" isn't quite ready to dump $500 to "snap" Bing, IE and Skype on the same screen. Right now it's about games. It won't be for another year or two before the truly casuals will be able to afford the One and PS4.

Apprentice
    So 40% less powerfull and more expensive? I find it hard how some people are still defending the Xbox One and supporting this company

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Everyone should just buy a PS4 its better for the industry as a whole and our games wont get butchered between two sides.
    No it isn't. That is the worst outcome for the industry.

Competition forces innovation.

You really think the PS4 would be as good as it is without the 360 giving the PS3 a run for its money and Microsoft being in the industry.

BBK. Tapatalking.

10. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog1979 View Post
    And no offline DRM restrictions.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    And no offline DRM restrictions.
    And optional Kinect.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Basically, make it a ps4 lol.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post

You really think the PS4 would be as good as it is without the 360 giving the PS3 a run for its money and Microsoft being in the industry.

BBK. Tapatalking.
    In principle I agree with your point. But then you remember the PS2 domination and that was probably the best gen for games ever

Apprentice

This is what is happening

16. Likes MjW , Ezekiel likes this post
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    And optional Kinect.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post

Yeah, but the "innovation" in this case is restricting offline gaming, used games, etc. Not the kind of innovation I want to support.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Basically, make it a ps4 lol.
    Or just stick to the formula that made the 360 so successful.....just upgrade the hardware, add the TV stuff, etc. POOF! Xbox keeps trucking along.
    Last edited by Christopher; 06-16-2013 at 14:38.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog1979 View Post
    That's a good start and then the One has the always online and DRM issues. However, it's mostly the hardcore who know about these things. We need to spread the word. I had a guy ask me what was the difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3 last gen. We need to spread the word and sang about the unbiased truth.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    As a current Xbox 360 ONLY gamer I disagree. I will be making the switch to Sony come November. I would never buy a console because of one game. Aside from Halo and Forza, what does MS really have?

I'm sure the "average Joe" isn't quite ready to dump $500 to "snap" Bing, IE and Skype on the same screen. Right now it's about games. It won't be for another year or two before the truly casuals will be able to afford the One and PS4.
    The casuals don't know this, unless they do their research.

We'll just wait and see. The One doesn't just have Halo and Forza. Games like Ryse and Titanfall shown at E3 looking very attractive and promising.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Apprentice
    That's a good start and then the One has the always online and DRM issues. However, it's mostly the hardcore who know about these things. We need to spread the word. I had a guy ask me what was the difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3 last gen. We need to spread the word and sang about the unbiased truth.
    I had to argue when someone that thought that Sony is lying about DRM and that they will be pressure by AAA game companies to use DRM

The casuals don't know this, unless they do their research.

We'll just wait and see. The One doesn't just have Halo and Forza. Games like Ryse and Titanfall shown at E3 looking very attractive and promising.

We'll just have to wait and see.
    The casuals aren't going to see the benefit of X1 at all unless they do their research. Casuals are fickle. They had their fun with Kinect and Wii, but I kinda doubt their interest is going to cross generations.

Titanfall looks awesome, but everything I have read about Ryse says it is going to flop bigtime.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah until I did some reading up on it I didnt know there was such a big difference between the two GPUs and then theres that RAM difference too. Glad to hear about the multiplats looking better because I assumed they would go for console parity. I remember the MS interview saying they weren't going for higher end graphics because they were making Xbone an all in one entertainment box.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    In principle I agree with your point. But then you remember the PS2 domination and that was probably the best gen for games ever
    I agree. That Sony dominated generation worked fine for me.

Apprentice
    Really hoping the PS4 does as good in sales as the PS2 but I think that is asking too much

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    In talking to a developer who wished to remain anonymous, gamers will see a difference on Day One when they compare third party PS4 games to Xbox One head-to-head. The developer told me the PS4 is 40 percent more powerful than Xbox One and games like Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.

http://youtu.be/1Mm3P4Ft-y4?t=6m18s Jack Tretton also said this in his interview. Side by side comparisons will be interesting.

26. Likes MjW likes this post
    Forum Sage

This sounds great and all. But let's be honest here. This will all boil down to publisher revenues and what publishers get financially from each console maker. Sony has the better tech, (this is a given by now) but Microsoft obviously has the dirty business practices and they're going full steam ahead on this front. For now and until proven otherwise, it's best to judge based on the exclusives.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    http://youtu.be/1Mm3P4Ft-y4?t=6m18s Jack Tretton also said this in his interview. Side by side comparisons will be interesting.
    That was a good interview. The mic drop at the end was funny.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I wonder if it could be as bad as some of the ports from 360 to PS3 could be? But not because of exotic tech. But because of sheer power difference. Well be interesting to see. I think it will be most apparent on BF4 if anything.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    There's no "Wizard $#@!" or "Clouds" that can make up for the fact that the GPU is 50% stronger, the system bandwidth is monstrously more on the PS4 and the bus-width is 256bit versus 128.

This isn't an advantage that exists in theory between the machines. Thanks to the utter bull$#@! of One games running on high-spec PCs at E3, we won't see a true difference between the machines until the One launches and the fat lady starts singing with the pixel counters (Who, by the way, are frothing at the mouth to get their hands on both machines and start making real comparisons).

31. Likes K2D , TheBreezyBB , VayMasters86 likes this post

Thread Information