Page 1 of 8 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Sony won the PR war, but it lost the E3 battle toMS in hardware and games.

www.games.ninemsn.com.au/news/sony-won-the-pr-war-but-it-lost-the-e3-battle
    The proof is in the pudding.

Nice read.

I spent quite some time playing PlayStation 4 and Xbox One games at E3, and I feel that when it comes to demonstrating each console's capabilities and power, Microsoft wins E3 hands down.
    Sony, on the other hand, won the PR battle.
    Having now seen what both consoles can do, that's clear to me because gamers have been persuaded by a very slick, shiny presentation which preceded the E3 festivities last Monday. Riddling your press conference attendees with alcohol and free food from multiple cuisines tends to get people up on their seats. Sony's presentation was fun, though, and I think the cheesy competitiveness is good for the industry, which I feel is a bit stale.
    One of my biggest disappointments of E3 was Knack, a launch day platformer that looked the goods to show off the PS4's capabilities. It plays like a PS2 game and looks like a glossy, shiny PS3 downloadable title. I won't be surprised if it ends up a download-only title. Infamous: Second Son looks great, though, as does Killzone.
    Who "won" E3?
    Microsoft Sony Nintendo View Results
    But they are just games, and I left Los Angeles feeling that the entire new generation of gaming consoles lacks the excitement of last generation.
    Microsoft, while still part of that stale and trivial new generation, is in a different situation, because it showed to journalists the Xbox One in a different light.
    The Forza Motorsport 5 demo I saw was very eloquent, almost poetic. As far as I'm concerned, Sony didn't delve quite as deep into demonstrating its games like Microsoft did. The Forza 5 demo made me want to elope with it. It looks outstanding, and is a far more appealing racing exclusive than Driveclub, although that is looking great on its own accord. Just remember it's a launch title being offered up for free to PlayStation Plus subscribers. Expect people to forget about it within 12 months of launch. Forza is maturing at an impeccable rate, and its frequency and improvement I feel are giving it the edge over Gran Turismo.
    The buzz on the E3 showroom floor was that Dead Rising 3 looks outstanding, while Project Spark, Xbox One's answer to LittleBigPlanet, is a more visually realistic god game, and it seems like it was built out of the dreams of Peter Molneux.
    E3 in general lacked the excitement one might have expected from a new generation of consoles, but that's to be expected as developers and publishers still work out the kinks of the powerful new architecture. Many new games are coming to both current gen and next gen consoles, representing an industry yet to fully embrace the developing capabilities of the PS4 and Xbox One.
    As far as confidence in the hardware goes, Xbox One appears to have the edge. It's not that I think the console will be better over the course of the generation, but based on what I saw personally, the sentiment towards development, the evolution of development, and the future of the industry is significantly different from behind Microsoft's doors than it is behind Sony's. For the whole of E3, Sony seemed like a confident prom king nominee almost certain he'd be walking away with the crown at the end of the night, while Microsoft was the cool cat opening its doors to anyone curious enough to see what it has to offer.
    Unfortunately for Microsoft, it failed to recognise just how entitled gamers can be. Following the DRM and always-on fiascos following its unveiling last month, gamers took to forums to vent anger at what they thought would be the end of the Xbox brand. It's eventually turned into a relentless war against a company that really is doing no worse than its closest competitor.
    The recent revelation that Xbox One won't work in certain countries is a perfect example of this, with gamers suddenly — all of a sudden — caring about third-world countries and how they won't have access to Microsoft's new console. It was a petty thing to hold against a company making a leaps and bounds with its development technology. Unless you have seen the Xbox One behind closed doors, you can't argue against that.
    Microsoft responded to queries about the console's online capabilities, saying anyone without an internet connection powerful enough to handle the console's online requirements would have to settle for an Xbox 360. Australian gamers baulked at this news, like as if regional Australia matters in the design of a gaming console by an American company.
    Hypothetically, if it were to create a console that appeased a market as small as regional Australia, it would hold the hardware back, and ultimately disadvantage developers that need to create software for small markets with hardware that has been scaled back.
    All of this represents a growing anti-Xbox One sentiment that is unfair, even in the face of Sony subtly saying gamers now need to pay to play PlayStation 4 games online. Once one of the most appealing aspects of Sony's online service, free online gaming is now a thing of the past. Yet barely a word has been spoken, probably because Sony managed to so well smudgily attack its closest competitor with opposing features that had neither been confirmed nor denied for Xbox One. It was all just a product of Microsoft's miscommunication.
    Sony ended E3 very confident that it had "won" the event, but if what it showed is the best the PlayStation 4 has to offer at this point, then the industry is even more stale than I imagine. Microsoft was the victim of miscommunication, and Sony benefitted by jumping on Microsoft's misdemeanours, while showing an average games lineup. I am happy for anyone that saw both consoles first hand to disagree.
    I don't feel gamers are yet in a position to judge Microsoft. Many appear to have have been fooled by convenient announcements, which have gone on to silence advancements Microsoft has made with the Xbox One.
    Last edited by 33x; 06-18-2013 at 17:17.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ..This website is part of the MSN network. Microsoft owns it lol.

It amazes me how people try and blow past the simple and indisputable fact that the PS4 is considerably more powerful than Xbox One. I mean.. This is pathetic.

"Cloud processing" - yea ok.

This right here is a decent enough sign that this article is full of $#@!:

The Forza 5 demo made me want to elope with it. It looks outstanding, and is a far more appealing racing exclusive than Driveclub, although that is looking great on its own accord. Just remember it's a launch title being offered up for free to PlayStation Plus subscribers. Expect people to forget about it within 12 months of launch.

Ok, so because Evolution Studios is making a racing game for launch day its forgettable? Or is it because there is a "PS+ edition" being given out to PS+ subscribers so its instantly trash tier?

What a load of tripe man.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Sony won the PR war, but it lost the E3 battle toMS in hardware and games. Eh? lol

PSU Technical Advisor
    Btw, click on the article and visit the poll of "Who won E3?" MS has 12% while Sony has 84%.

Even MSN can't help the tidal flow of hate oozing out of gamers from all the blunders going on at MS.

Edit: I guess I'm angry because of how far Microsoft is going with its paid shills to peddle this crap in order to convince gamers it isn't really trying to $#@! them and how "great" it is.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    This is nice for you guys.

Hope all goes well.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

Sony won the PR war, but it lost the E3 battle toMS in hardware and games.

Sony won in the PR department... Sony undoubtedly won in hardware (not even worth debating), while games remain subjective to the gamer, though personally I'm more interested in the PS4's exclusives, but that's me. I'll most certainly get an Xbone if it gets some exclusives that I must absolutely play... but any games at this point that I'd play on Xbone are multi-platform. However, MS's failure to recognize their blunders is reason enough for me to not get one. I understand they're in the business of making money, but I think they've lost site of things. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post

Yeah... that's pretty bad... lol.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    The E-3 battle was lost by Sony but they won the PR war? Wait, I thought sony won E-3.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Wait, I thought sony won E-3.
    They did, as evidenced by the entire Internet.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

10. Likes unicron7, darky89 , Kizaru likes this post
    Apprentice
    This has to be one of the most bias articles I ever read

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Sorry, The Sith but that was a terrible article. There is some truth to that, Microsoft did in fact showed off more software than Sony (Exclusives at that for next-gen), but they are impaired by their business models that aren't making gamers happy.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    They did, as evidenced by the entire Internet.
    The entire internet... You know if it's on the internet, it has to be true.

Apprentice

This explains it all

Administrator
    Yes, hilarious, except that we're not talking about someone's alien conspiracies on the internet... there's an obvious uproar over the asinine policies Microsoft is trying to set in place, even amongst hardcore Xbox fans. That much is quite obvious.

16. Likes unicron7, Admartian likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    LOL@This article. Thanks for the laugh.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    I suppose it's kinda like this article and its points.. If we were to treat it that way.

Apprentice

Look man, you simple minded Sony fans just don't understand. It's about the future! We at Microsoft can't be bothered by your simple "polls" and "public relations" Because we at microsoft corporation are looking to the future. Yes, yes, you can scream as loud as you want but we can't speak your simple minded language because our vision is about the future...do you want to go to the future with me?

HAHA it doesn't matter what people tell them at this point. They are dead set on their vision and the only thing that could sway them is if people don't buy their machine, sells fall, and they don't generate the expected profit. Even then, if they have invested too much into the tech I wouldn't think it would be a simple version update I would think it would be another xbox trade in process...maybe. I wouldn't put it past them to say you have to buy another machine if you want all the restrictions fixed. But I guess time will tell since it hasn't released yet. But let's face it, it's not looking good at every turn. How can they simply ignore that? Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Sony won in the PR department... Sony undoubtedly won in hardware (not even worth debating), while games remain subjective to the gamer, though personally I'm more interested in the PS4's exclusives, but that's me. I'll most certainly get an Xbone if it gets some exclusives that I must absolutely play... but any games at this point that I'd play on Xbone are multi-platform. However, MS's failure to recognize their blunders is reason enough for me to not get one. I understand they're in the business of making money, but I think they've lost site of things. Only time will tell.

Yeah... that's pretty bad... lol.

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Cloud Processing = the new Blast Processing

But on a serious note his analysis of Sony and Microsoft`s attitudes are completely different than what one of my upcoming articles will describe. I think he is being short sited with his analysis as well as TGS is what, three months away now and so Sony needs to hold back a little for their big show, especially since it`ll be so close to the holiday release date.

I don`t think fighting against Microsoft`s initial country policy is petty by gamers, especially when some of those countries not on the list are not third world countries, but major ones. It is just bad PR and says to the consumer we don`t care about you enough to be on the initial list. The Xbox gets little love in South Korea and Japan as it is but now all that will be left are the diehard citizens and the diehard foreign workers. Where is the love?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Oh boy lol.

and I feel that when it comes to demonstrating each console's capabilities and power, Microsoft wins E3 hands down.
    Cause those games were on Xbone dev kits...right?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    Look man, you simple minded Sony fans just don't understand. It's about the future! We at Microsoft can't be bothered by your simple "polls" and "public relations" Because we at microsoft corporation are looking to the future. Yes, yes, you can scream as loud as you want but we can't speak your simple minded language because our vision is about the future...do you want to go to the future with me?

HAHA it doesn't matter what people tell them at this point. They are dead set on their vision and the only thing that could sway them is if people don't buy their machine, sells fall, and they don't generate the expected profit. Even then, if they have invested too much into the tech I wouldn't think it would be a simple version update I would think it would be another xbox trade in process...maybe. I wouldn't put it past them to say you have to buy another machine if you want all the restrictions fixed. But I guess time will tell since it hasn't released yet. But let's face it, it's not looking good at every turn. How can they simply ignore that? Crazy.
    Hey - I at least admire them not backing down. If only their policies were worth it for me, I'd actually applaud.

But the effort is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Oh boy lol.

Cause those games were on Xbone dev kits...right?
    I was wondering what happened to the Iraqi Minister of Defence.

Good to know he landed on his feet and managed to get a good gig.

PSU Technical Advisor
    They are going balls out in damage control lol. Poor Reddit..

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    LOL@This article. Thanks for the laugh.
    Are you in denial bro.
    Last edited by The Sith; 06-17-2013 at 06:25.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Are you in denial bro.
    lol The irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Oh boy lol. Cause those games were on Xbone dev kits...right?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 06-17-2013 at 18:41. Reason: Merging.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Are you in denial bro.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Are you in denial bro.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

28. Likes unicron7 likes this post

Thread Information