Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

Anonymous Xbox engineer explains DRM and Microsoft's Xbox One intentions

>The thing is, the DRM is really really similar to steam... You can login anywhere and play your games, anyone in your house can play with the family xbox. The only diff is steam you have to sign in before playing, and Xbox does it automatically at night for you (once per 24 hours)

>It's a long tail strategy, just like steam. Steam had it's growing pains at the beginning with all it's drm $#@! as well. [...] For digital downloads steam had no real competition at the time, they were competing against boxed sales. At the time people were pretty irate about steam, (on 4chan too...) It was only once they had a digital marketplace with DRM that was locked down to prevent sharing that they could do super discounted $#@!.

>Think about it, on steam you get a game for the true cost of the game, 5$-30$. On a console you have to pay for that PLUS any additional licenses for when you sell / trade / borrow / etc. If the developer / publisher can't get it on additional licenses (like steam), then they charge the first person more. [...] If we say "Hey publishers, you limit game to 39.99, we ensure every license transfer you get 10$, gamestop gets 20$" that is a decent model... Microsoft gets a license fee on first and subsequent game purchases, compared to just first now? That's a revenue increase.

>Competition is the best man, it helps drive both to new heights. See technology from the Cold War. If we had no USSR, we'd be way worse off today. TLDR: Bring it on Steam

2/4

>Yeah we passed that around the office at Xbox. Most of us were like "Well played Sony, Well played". That being said they are just riding the hype train of ZOMG THEY ARE TRYING TO $#@! US FOR NO REASON. Without actually thinking about how convienent it would be for the majority of the time to not find that disc your brother didn't put back... [...] just simpleminded people not seeing the bigger picture. Some PS4 viral team made them all "U TOOK R DISCS" and they hiveminded.

>Everyone and their mother complains about how gamestop $#@!s them on their trade ins, getting 5$ for their used games. We come in trying to find a way to take money out of gamestop, and put some in developers and get you possibly cheaper games and everyone $#@!es at MS. Well, if you want the @#$@ing from Gamestop, go play PS4.

>The goal is to move to digital downloads, but Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Amazon are KIND OF $#@!ING ENTRENCHED in the industry. They have a lot of power, and the shift has to be gradual. Long term goal is steam for consoles. [...] If you always want to stay with what you have, then keep current consoles, or a PS4. We're TRYING to move the industry forwards towards digital distribution... it'sa bumpy road

>Publishers have enourmous power. Microsoft is trying to balance between consumer delight, and publisher wishes. If we cave to far in either direction you have a non-starting product. WiiU goes too far to consumer, you have no 3rd party support to shake a stick at. PS4 is status-quo. XB1 is trying to push some things, at the expense of others. We have a vision, we'll see if it works in the coming years

>Living room transformation. We want to own the living room. Every living room TV with an XBox on input one. It's the thing that gives the signal to your TV, everything is secondary. The future, where games, TV, internet telephony, all that $#@! happens magically on some huge ass screen with hand / voice gestures... That's our goal.

3/4

>Google TV + PS4 + Minority report level gestures, that combined with a sick second screen experience (which is really hot for TV, I know I know.. tv tv tv tv tv... but it's $#@!ing sick when you have it). Games will be the same, there are more exclusives to MS then PS atm, and Kinect 2 makes Kinect 1 look like a childs toy.

>By default it's on, listening for "Xbox On". You can turn it off tho, and turn the console like OFF off. OFF off is required for Germany / other countries that require it (no vampire appliances) [...] It has to be plugged in for the console to post. You can turn off everything it does from the settings. Think of it like airplane mode for the iPhone. You can't just unplug the cellular radio, but you can turn it off.

>Instead of 10mins, is 24hrs for your console, and 1 or 2 at a friends house. Really the majority of people have a speck of internet at least once a day. And if you don't. Don't buy an Xbox 1. Just like if you didn't have a broadband connection don't get Live, and if you don't have an HDTV the 360 isn't that great for you either. New tech, new req. This allows us to do cool $#@! when we can assume things like you have a kinect, you have internet, etc.

>Current plan is basically you're $#@!ed after 24 hours. Yeah... I know. Kind of sucks. I believe they will probably revist the time period and / or find a diff way to "call in" to ensure you haven't sold your license to gamestop or something... but there is no plan YET. I'm hoping the change it, but I don't work on that so I don't have much influence there /sigh

>If the power goes out you ain't playing $#@!. I'm assuming you mean the internet goes out but you have power for TV and Xbox. Yes, You're $#@!ed for single player games. Again, that's the PoR (Plan of record), but I expect it to change after the e3 cluster$#@!

>What fee? There is no fee to play your games at your friends house. Never has, never will. Even x360 digital downloads could do that.

4/4

>The cloud capabilities is the $#@! they like the most. We basically made a huge cloud compute $#@! and made it free. What people are doing with it is kind of cool. THe original intention was to get all the Multiplayer servers not requiring 3rd party costs (Like EA shutting down game servers to cut costs), as well as taking all the games that servers hosted by the clients (Halo, etc), and have all that compute done in the cloud allowing more CPU cycles for gameplay. That will really expand what developers can do. Anything that doesn't need per frame calculation and can handle 100ms delays can be shifted to the cloud. That's huge.

>SmartGlass + IE is going to be pretty freaking sweet. 1 finger cursor, 2 finger direct manip. Basically if you think of a laptop trackpad where your phone/ slate is the trackpad and the monitor is your TV... it's that. The tech is there, just needs to be applied. There is some really cool $#@! going on with Petra + controllers that pairs people with controllers. So if person with controller two trades controlers with controller 1, their profiles magically switch. It's sick. What does this matter? Now if you lean left/right it knows which person is leaning, even if 4 people are all int he same room. It's awesome.

>New service using Azure for cloud compute. Allows developers to not use clients for hosting multiplayer servers, or other tasks that do not require per frame calcuations. It's pretty sweet.

>Honestly, if you care about anything other then pure games AT ALL. Xbox 1 > PS4. If all you do is play games, and nothing else, PS4.

This was all from the Microsoft engineer that was on /b/ last night.

>It's not worth my time to prove it, or risk my Job. I work in Studio A, 40th ave in Redmond, Wa. The thai place in the studio cafeteria has double punch wednesdays. Go ahead and call them and verify if you want.

http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous...one-intentions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Ok, this guy talks about DRM providing cost savings and increases in revenue for MS and publishers but nothing is being past to the consumer. Xbox One games are still $60. So what good is all this to me, the consumer?

also, this guy says MS is getting a license fee on subsequent sales of X1 games, but MS has specifically said they will get no $$ so.....either MS lied or this guy is full of it. Since when are engineers included in business strategy anyway?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

3. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Forum Guru
    The entire article is one big PR. Only reason he don't want to name himself is to avoid becoming another Adam Orth.

5. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Superior Member

at current moment this is a business strategy for MS, had it any benefits to the consumer off the bat then one may justify. But this is a company in tandem with publishers looking to make money of a single sale through multiple sales via DRM. If games were $5 cheaper, if we could activate games from anywhere then it might be justified, at current it just isnt.
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Forum Sage
    Some people will warm up to the strategy Microsoft has chosen at the moment (even the ones stating they won't.) Minus the 24-hour check, everything else they are trying to do is really NOT that bad. It is a way forward.

If the negativity stays or gets worse, Microsoft will budge and update their policies/requirements accordingly. They will have to.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Some people will warm up to the strategy Microsoft has chosen at the moment (even the ones stating they won't.) Minus the 24-hour check, everything else they are trying to do is really NOT that bad. It is a way forward.

If the negativity stays or gets worse, Microsoft will budge and update their policies/requirements accordingly. They will have to.
    the 24 hr check and the fact that they dont want you activating games anywhere else but in prescribed countries.

This is MS, a company with a global footprint, can they not have a payment scheme that caters for all countries or simply use the dollar?
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Forum Sage
    I imagine they are probably working through it. I am not against what they are trying to do, I actually like what they are doing. I just don't like how they are doing it (as of right now.)

We're just going to have to wait and see what their plans are going forward. I do hope that they budge on the 24-hour check and what you pointed out regarding game activations.

They should be able to work something out if they are going to stick with their plan (they can't possibly ignore the countrieswhere their model won't workcompletely.)
    Last edited by sainraja; 06-17-2013 at 15:52.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by acryllicaltair View Post
    the 24 hr check and the fact that they dont want you activating games anywhere else but in prescribed countries.

This is MS, a company with a global footprint, can they not have a payment scheme that caters for all countries or simply use the dollar?
    I think it has more to do with deploying X1 services to Azure in all countries. I'm not sure Azure is available worldwide yet. Just a guess
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Digital purchases on the PC feel a lot more secure than licenses on a console. I'm not for (some) convenience over freedom on consoles. Portability of a console is a major thing for me, to places with no internet.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    i dont think he understands why most people like steam so much. I have 300+ games on steam and Ive only paid 90% or less for em. Not all are "amazing", but I have most of the games I really wanted.

Hell you have steam sales 50-75% off, and you also got third party sites and some bundle sites that sell a bunch of games 95% off. Unless I can get Xbox One games for 75-95% off on a regular basis, I dont want digital only in my living room. I like to collect.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanehead View Post
    The entire article is one big PR. Only reason he don't want to name himself is to avoid becoming another Adam Orth.
    This.^ Just sounds like alot of PR and damage control.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I think I should work on making a thread that clearly and succinctly explains both the positives and negatives of each policy Microsoft is putting forth, so we wouldn't have to see people continually try to spin it in a certain direction.

15. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Super Elite
    The way i see it, is Microsoft is trying to do things that are going to happen in the future anyway.
    That can be either a positive or a negative depending on your attitude and gaming situation.

If your a connected gamer with good internet service, you could appreciate a company getting ahead of the curve on all this stuff, because digital is the future along with cloud features.

If you don't like changes or have a shaky internet situation, this stuff doesn't sound good right now, but gaming will change a lot over the next 5 to 10 years.
    Physical media, used games and disc rental games could all be morphing into new versions with digital and online business models.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I hope they keep the game prices the same for this gen.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    The Xbox One is like the PSP Go its doing things no one asked for and sucking majorly in the process.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I think I should work on making a thread that clearly and succinctly explains both the positives and negatives of each policy Microsoft is putting forth, so we wouldn't have to see people continually try to spin it in a certain direction.
    Please do so. People need to know the truth.

Just don't be surprised when Two4DaMoney counters you every point just like he is probably going to do in this thread, just like he did in this thread
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    >The thing is, the DRM is really really similar to steam... You can login anywhere and play your games, anyone in your house can play with the family xbox. The only diff is steam you have to sign in before playing, and Xbox does it automatically at night for you (once per 24 hours)

>It's a long tail strategy, just like steam. Steam had it's growing pains at the beginning with all it's drm $#@! as well. [...] For digital downloads steam had no real competition at the time, they were competing against boxed sales. At the time people were pretty irate about steam, (on 4chan too...) It was only once they had a digital marketplace with DRM that was locked down to prevent sharing that they could do super discounted $#@!.

>Think about it, on steam you get a game for the true cost of the game, 5$-30$. On a console you have to pay for that PLUS any additional licenses for when you sell / trade / borrow / etc. If the developer / publisher can't get it on additional licenses (like steam), then they charge the first person more. [...] If we say "Hey publishers, you limit game to 39.99, we ensure every license transfer you get 10$, gamestop gets 20$" that is a decent model... Microsoft gets a license fee on first and subsequent game purchases, compared to just first now? That's a revenue increase.

>Competition is the best man, it helps drive both to new heights. See technology from the Cold War. If we had no USSR, we'd be way worse off today. TLDR: Bring it on Steam

2/4

>Yeah we passed that around the office at Xbox. Most of us were like "Well played Sony, Well played". That being said they are just riding the hype train of ZOMG THEY ARE TRYING TO $#@! US FOR NO REASON. Without actually thinking about how convienent it would be for the majority of the time to not find that disc your brother didn't put back... [...] just simpleminded people not seeing the bigger picture. Some PS4 viral team made them all "U TOOK R DISCS" and they hiveminded.

>Everyone and their mother complains about how gamestop $#@!s them on their trade ins, getting 5$ for their used games. We come in trying to find a way to take money out of gamestop, and put some in developers and get you possibly cheaper games and everyone $#@!es at MS. Well, if you want the @#$@ing from Gamestop, go play PS4.

>The goal is to move to digital downloads, but Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Amazon are KIND OF $#@!ING ENTRENCHED in the industry. They have a lot of power, and the shift has to be gradual. Long term goal is steam for consoles. [...] If you always want to stay with what you have, then keep current consoles, or a PS4. We're TRYING to move the industry forwards towards digital distribution... it'sa bumpy road

>Publishers have enourmous power. Microsoft is trying to balance between consumer delight, and publisher wishes. If we cave to far in either direction you have a non-starting product. WiiU goes too far to consumer, you have no 3rd party support to shake a stick at. PS4 is status-quo. XB1 is trying to push some things, at the expense of others. We have a vision, we'll see if it works in the coming years

>Living room transformation. We want to own the living room. Every living room TV with an XBox on input one. It's the thing that gives the signal to your TV, everything is secondary. The future, where games, TV, internet telephony, all that $#@! happens magically on some huge ass screen with hand / voice gestures... That's our goal.

3/4

>Google TV + PS4 + Minority report level gestures, that combined with a sick second screen experience (which is really hot for TV, I know I know.. tv tv tv tv tv... but it's $#@!ing sick when you have it). Games will be the same, there are more exclusives to MS then PS atm, and Kinect 2 makes Kinect 1 look like a childs toy.

>By default it's on, listening for "Xbox On". You can turn it off tho, and turn the console like OFF off. OFF off is required for Germany / other countries that require it (no vampire appliances) [...] It has to be plugged in for the console to post. You can turn off everything it does from the settings. Think of it like airplane mode for the iPhone. You can't just unplug the cellular radio, but you can turn it off.

>Instead of 10mins, is 24hrs for your console, and 1 or 2 at a friends house. Really the majority of people have a speck of internet at least once a day. And if you don't. Don't buy an Xbox 1. Just like if you didn't have a broadband connection don't get Live, and if you don't have an HDTV the 360 isn't that great for you either. New tech, new req. This allows us to do cool $#@! when we can assume things like you have a kinect, you have internet, etc.

>Current plan is basically you're $#@!ed after 24 hours. Yeah... I know. Kind of sucks. I believe they will probably revist the time period and / or find a diff way to "call in" to ensure you haven't sold your license to gamestop or something... but there is no plan YET. I'm hoping the change it, but I don't work on that so I don't have much influence there /sigh

>If the power goes out you ain't playing $#@!. I'm assuming you mean the internet goes out but you have power for TV and Xbox. Yes, You're $#@!ed for single player games. Again, that's the PoR (Plan of record), but I expect it to change after the e3 cluster$#@!

>What fee? There is no fee to play your games at your friends house. Never has, never will. Even x360 digital downloads could do that.

4/4

>The cloud capabilities is the $#@! they like the most. We basically made a huge cloud compute $#@! and made it free. What people are doing with it is kind of cool. THe original intention was to get all the Multiplayer servers not requiring 3rd party costs (Like EA shutting down game servers to cut costs), as well as taking all the games that servers hosted by the clients (Halo, etc), and have all that compute done in the cloud allowing more CPU cycles for gameplay. That will really expand what developers can do. Anything that doesn't need per frame calculation and can handle 100ms delays can be shifted to the cloud. That's huge.

>SmartGlass + IE is going to be pretty freaking sweet. 1 finger cursor, 2 finger direct manip. Basically if you think of a laptop trackpad where your phone/ slate is the trackpad and the monitor is your TV... it's that. The tech is there, just needs to be applied. There is some really cool $#@! going on with Petra + controllers that pairs people with controllers. So if person with controller two trades controlers with controller 1, their profiles magically switch. It's sick. What does this matter? Now if you lean left/right it knows which person is leaning, even if 4 people are all int he same room. It's awesome.

>New service using Azure for cloud compute. Allows developers to not use clients for hosting multiplayer servers, or other tasks that do not require per frame calcuations. It's pretty sweet.

>Honestly, if you care about anything other then pure games AT ALL. Xbox 1 > PS4. If all you do is play games, and nothing else, PS4.

This was all from the Microsoft engineer that was on /b/ last night.

>It's not worth my time to prove it, or risk my Job. I work in Studio A, 40th ave in Redmond, Wa. The thai place in the studio cafeteria has double punch wednesdays. Go ahead and call them and verify if you want.

http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous...one-intentions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Basically what I've been saying he pretty much confirmed. They want to go all DD. This is the stepping stone to it. All DD me I'm done with gaming. I barely play my pc because of it. If it comes full bore to consoles, then I won't buy any of them. I don't have the Internet to support it.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Ok, this guy talks about DRM providing cost savings and increases in revenue for MS and publishers but nothing is being past to the consumer. Xbox One games are still $60. So what good is all this to me, the consumer?

also, this guy says MS is getting a license fee on subsequent sales of X1 games, but MS has specifically said they will get no $$ so.....either MS lied or this guy is full of it. Since when are engineers included in business strategy anyway?
    If they want to be like Steam; then make games cheap like Steam (that goes for all DD titles - on PSN too).

No reason not to, for anyone to do it on DD (before any Xbox apologist jumps the gun, I'm having a go at PSN prices too, in terms of DD games ).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    Please do so. People need to know the truth.

Just don't be surprised when Two4DaMoney counters you every point just like he is probably going to do in this thread, just like he did in this thread
    And what's wrong with him doing that IF all the points he raises are legit issues that needs addressing? It's a public forums, he's allowed to do that. He might be extreme sometimes but that didn't mean he shouldn't voice(post lol) his opinion

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Nothing wrong with that. I just to see his counters to everything since he makes great points

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Basically what I've been saying he pretty much confirmed. They want to go all DD. This is the stepping stone to it. All DD me I'm done with gaming. I barely play my pc because of it. If it comes full bore to consoles, then I won't buy any of them. I don't have the Internet to support it.
    Whats so bad about DD that you would quit gaming because of it?
    Do you like to collect special edition cases or something?

To me it has a lot of advantages and conveniences.

Is your internet situation not upgradeable?
    Last edited by Silver&black_Attack; 06-17-2013 at 23:58.

Forum Sage
    I'm willing to bet the PS5 and that generation of consoles will be DD only, no more discs.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver&black_Attack View Post
    Whats so bad about DD that you would quit gaming because of it?
    Do you like to collect special edition cases or something?

To me it has a lot of advantages and conveniences.

Is your internet situation not upgradeable?
    Nope. I live in the sticks and they have shown no attempt to even get dsl here which is on it's way out. I'm stuck with satellite and mobile broadband. Both which carry high price tags and ridiculous data caps. I get 5gbs a month. I have to worry about browsing the forum too much sometimes.

Satellite gives you a better data cap, 10gb. But gaming is impossible. I know where I live is my choice but I'm a huge gamer and going DD is putting many people like me out at the door. I have to go to my friends house to download anything of significant size. I feel like a mooch but he understands and is cool with it. Not like I'm not paying for Internet at all and just using his.

@Matrix-I agree. That's why I'm going to get every bit of enjoyment out of this upcoming gen that I can because it looks like it will be my last unless the infrastructure where I live is upgraded which looks impossible considering how long we have been on the back burner here. It sucks but I would rather live here than the city any day. Tried that and despised it.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Nope. I live in the sticks and they have shown no attempt to even get dsl here which is on it's way out. I'm stuck with satellite and mobile broadband. Both which carry high price tags and ridiculous data caps. I get 5gbs a month. I have to worry about browsing the forum too much sometimes.

Satellite gives you a better data cap, 10gb. But gaming is impossible. I know where I live is my choice but I'm a huge gamer and going DD is putting many people like me out at the door. I have to go to my friends house to download anything of significant size. I feel like a mooch but he understands and is cool with it. Not like I'm not paying for Internet at all and just using his.

@Matrix-I agree. That's why I'm going to get every bit of enjoyment out of this upcoming gen that I can because it looks like it will be my last unless the infrastructure where I live is upgraded which looks impossible considering how long we have been on the back burner here. It sucks but I would rather live here than the city any day. Tried that and despised it.
    By the sounds of it, MS might say that even an XBox 360 is "too much" for you.

MS has a message for your kind: "Get the Xbox 1 (no the Xbox one, not the Xbox One, but the one before the 360, the Xbox - the XBox 1. But not the next gen Xbox One - but the XBox...oh boy)."

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    This article has been dbunked on several game sites. The anonymous source cant be verified.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Thread Information