Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Insomniac Explains Sunset Overdrive's Xbox One Exclusivity

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a....aspx#comments
    The game looks awesome and will do well on Xbox One? I hope they're not getting flack over this.

Shortly after the announcement of Sunset Overdrive during Microsoft's E3 press conference, Insomniac's CEO Ted Price posted a message on the company's website offering a few more details about the game, and why it's exclusive to Xbox One.

The trailer showcased a parkour runner taking on mutants in what appeared to be an abandoned city. The game's official description reads, "With an arsenal of kick-a**, overpowered weapons and a knack for traversing the city with hyper agility, its not the end of days for you. Your story is just beginning. Here is Price's reasoning for making the game an Xbox One exclusive:

"It may surprise some of our longtime fans that we have partnered with Microsoft Studios to develop Sunset Overdrive exclusively for Xbox One. When we first began discussing this idea with Microsoft, we were initially hesitant to shift back into an exclusive arrangement. But as the Microsoft team began introducing us to the abilities and philosophies driving the development of Xbox One, we knew that Sunset Overdrive was a perfect fit. The Xbox One and Xbox Live will support our ambitions to create an ongoing two-way dialogue with our community. It will also allow us to have quicker production cycles, enabling timely content updates for new weapons, characters, storylines and even pop culture-relevant content like memes based on social commentary."

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Saw this before on G+. I'm not knocking them for it, but to say that it's anything other than money (because the "reasons" he gave are no different to what he'd get on the PS4) is laughable.

But like I said, if they want to go exclusive, they'll get no bones from me.

Just don't try to insult our intelligence.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Good for them. lol

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Never thought I would see Insomniac and MS come together on a exclusive title. Does this mean they are done with sony? Times are changing. I'm looking forward to their new game though. Xbox-one has a strong line up so far.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 06-17-2013 at 23:52.

Veteran
    Kinect aside, I don't really see anything the MS and the XB1 can do that Sony and the PS4 can't.

Well I guess MS can write a bigger check...
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Kinect aside, I don't really see anything the MS and the XB1 can do that Sony and the PS4 can't.

Well I guess MS can write a bigger check...
    And your point is? What are we 13 year olds now?...lol We know MS has money and don't act like this is something new to the industry. Maybe Insomniac wanted this too.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Na they are still working with Sony. Ted Price said as much post-E3 ign show

Game looks kinda cool but my expectations are low considering their lacklustre showing this gen, imo.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    And your point is? What are we 13 year olds now?...lol We know MS has money and don't act like this is something new to the industry. Maybe Insomniac wanted this too.

Your reason for the insult? Thanks. How old are you o_O?

My point being is that they make it sound like the game is exclusive because they can do something on the XB1 that they can't do on the PS4. Which is...?

If they want to make multiplat and/or games for another system, so be it. I don't really care honestly. Just say thats what you wanted to do and leave it at that. I don't fault them for wanting to branch out and learn new thing.
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-18-2013 at 00:29.

Forum Sage
    Your reason for the insult? Thanks. How old are you o_O?

My point being is that they make it sound like the game is exclusive because they can do something on the XB1 that they can't do on the PS4. Which is...?

If they want to make multiplayer or games for another system, so be it. I don't really care. Just say thats what you want and leave it at that. I don't fault them for wanting to branch out and learn new thing.
    I would hardly call that an insult, but if you took it that way, then I apologize. No one was comparing the abilities of the consoles so i don't understand why you found it necessary to go there. This game being exclusive is just business as usual. It's not the first and won't be the last deal made. No need to get all sensitive over this stuff.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    We'll see how well this sells...my honest guess is that it will flop. Just hope it doesn't break them financially to the point where they can no longer make games.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Veteran
    Asking a 32 year old man if he's a 13yo kid is an insult, but apology accepted none the less.

He may not be comparing systems but sure sounds like he's saying things are different over at MS. Anyways, the grass is always greener on the other side right?

The game itself looks interesting on the concept alone. Have to see gameplay tho. They already stated that they are still continuing to work with Sony. They are just taking advantage of their 3rd party studio right. Them making an XB1 game isn't whats surprising to me. Making an XB1 only game is what surprises me about it. I thought they wanted to stop doing exclusives and do multiplatform titles...

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Asking a 32 year old man if he's a 13yo kid is an insult, but apology accepted none the less.

He may not be comparing systems but sure sounds like he's saying things are different over at MS. Anyways, the grass is always greener on the other side right?

The game itself looks interesting on the concept alone. Have to see gameplay tho. They already stated that they are still continuing to work with Sony. They are just taking advantage of their 3rd party studio right. Them making an XB1 game isn't whats surprising to me. Making an XB1 only game is what surprises me about it. I thought they wanted to stop doing exclusives and do multiplatform titles...
    Like I said, it's money. Every other excuse is just that - PR BS and excuses. And Sony won'y be ponying it up unless it's to their first party stuff so Insomniac may as well go to a team that has the salary cap space.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Many of you may be asking what this news means for Insomniac. What about Ratchet & Clank? What about Fuse? Others may ask why we have “abandoned” our PlayStation heritage. The truth is, not a lot has changed. Insomniac has been, is, and will continue to be 100% independent. We have treasured that independence for the last 19 years. It now allows us to own and control our IP, and find the most suitable partners to make those IP a reality. While we are excited about partnering with Microsoft on Sunset Overdrive, that doesn’t mean we can’t or wouldn’t make games with our longtime friends at Sony. That’s the magic of being an independent developer.
    Get to work on that new ratchet titles since you are still good with Sony, Ted. That's the only thing I care about from insomniac.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Get to work on that new ratchet titles since you are still good with Sony, Ted. That's the only thing I care about from insomniac.
    Lets face it R&C is the only good thing they have done in the last 7 years. Sony should get them doing another kids game though instead of R&C

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Oh and make sure it's the good Ratchet titles too. None of this All4One and QFroce crap.

Bring back Future ToD and ACiT quality titles.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    I think we can assume that Incomniac has been let out of the usual MS payments for updates, the kind of frequent small updating they are talking about would cost a fortune under MS's $10,000 an update minimum. And likely gotten a hefty development fund out of it. But they all have to talk the marketing talk.

This is almost a goofy as Zampella talking about how the cloud magically makes Titan Fall only possible on the Xbone, until he starts talking about bringing it to other platforms...in the same interview.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    How independent could you possibly even say they were for the majority of their existence?

For many years, Sony published their stuff, meaning Sony OWNS their most well known IPs. So that directly contradicts his statement of owning their IPs. Insomniac has only recently become truly independent, and even then that's a questionable tag line for them as they did not self-publish Fuse, even if they may have worked out an arrangement with EA to keep hold of that franchise.

Forum Sage
    If they are still working on titles for PS4 which are going to be exclusive, then what is wrong with them working on titles for the Xbox One that are exclusive?

The only thing that wouldn't make sense is if Microsoft owns the Sunset Overdrive IP after they are done with it; because that was their reason for moving away from Resistance/R&C.

If they own Sunset Overdrive, it will make it's way to the PS4....and even if it doesn't, at least they own it to do with what they want. If Microsoft owns it, they pretty much went back on their word.

They pretty much went back to doing what they were with Sony under a different publisher. It didn't work out under EA so now they are under Microsoft.
    Last edited by sainraja; 06-18-2013 at 02:04.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Ted 'has a price' Price did it for money. I don't blame him, kinda poor business decision if you look at the state of Xbox, but this deal was probably signed a while ago.
    Last edited by mickice; 06-18-2013 at 02:09.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Lol Insomniac. I would have cared if Resistance 3 was a better game.

Forum Sage
    Resistance 3 is a good game, what did you find wrong with it?

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Resistance 3 is a good game, what did you find wrong with it?
    I can give you a number of reasons and this is coming from a Resistance fan.

-Underwhelming story
    -Bad color pallet
    -Important questions unanswered
    -Cheap ending
    -Poor multiplayer that needed a ton of updates

The concept for, Sunset does fit their style of games. Hopefully for them, it will turn out to be a good game.

Forum Sage
    People wanted MS to bring new IPs, so now they are coming. No one expected this one from Insomniac but i won't complain. Just make the game good.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    It's a pity because I probably would've bought this on the PS4, but I wouldn't buy an X1 to play it.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Ted 'has a price' Price did it for money. I don't blame him, kinda poor business decision if you look at the state of Xbox, but this deal was probably signed a while ago.
    Well as they alway say when things are bad it"s only temporary not long term.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Thread Information