Latest PSU headlines:

Thread: DualShock 4

Elite Member

DualShock 4

This maybe silly of me to ask here's a question I would like to know, can we 'pause' a game?? I know the start button an select button has been replaced with Share & Options button but what button needs to be pressed for the game to be paused!!! I haven't heard anything about this an nobody has asked about it.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    PS button I guess. If it is a button.

Apprentice
    The options button will replace the pause button

The Options button will let users pause a game and also access the PS4 menu and will incorporate the “Start” and “Select” functions, notes Sony.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/playstation-4...photos-1100122
    Last edited by Super Manning; 06-18-2013 at 18:23.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    There has never been a pause button on PS controllers, the Pause feature has always been whatever the developer felt it should be.

That said, besides the PS and Options buttons, the Share Button will also effectively result in pausing the game.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    There has never been a pause button on PS controllers, the Pause feature has always been whatever the developer felt it should be.
    Are you sure!! start button on single player always had a pause option but no pause for online.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by nextgen3 View Post
    Are you sure!! start button on single player always had a pause option but no pause for online.
    There was a bit of sarcasm in that. It's never been labeled as a Pause button, and it's not officially dedicated as a pause button, but it's consistently used as a pause button. It does have other features such as launching a game from load up screens, used to pull up maps, menu's, etc. So technically the start button is not a pause button.

That said, on offline games the PS Button will also consistently pauses the games (offline) there's nothing that I recall that has ever paused online gaming. So I don't see it as being any less viable as a pause button, or say the share button or options button.

Anyway, the game devs will determine how they employee the functionality, but rest assured, they'll have pause features in there, after all they will get the feedback from the testers as they're trying to take notes while gaming if it's not there.

7. Likes MartyRules likes this post
    Power Member
    Start is just universally known as pause since the NES days is it?

Some PC games it is possible to pause online matches its usually used in match modes.

sv_pausable 1 in source engine then use the "pause/break" to pause unpause (Counter strike,Team Fortress 2, Left 4 dead)

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Start is just universally known as pause since the NES days is it?

Some PC games it is possible to pause online matches its usually used in match modes.

sv_pausable 1 in source engine then use the "pause/break" to pause unpause (Counter strike,Team Fortress 2, Left 4 dead)
    Really, what about Wii - It doesn't have a start button? I don't really want to be contrary but they'll use whatever button they have. The Nintendo 64's controller's big red button was unlabeled, and early referred to as button #9, it later got referred to as the start button.

They point is, nobody really gives a rats arse what button is used to pause the game. One will eventually become a defacto standard, but the just because one's not labeled for the functionality (which none ever are) doesn't mean the functionality won't be there.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I can haz pause button?

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I can haz pause button?

Its on the console. of all places.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-18-2013 at 22:10.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

DualShock 4

Not relevant but it is the first time I see the PS4 headset and from what I see you'll most likely be able to use whatever wired headset you want. Mobile phone hands frees etc. Cool.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Not relevant but it is the first time I see the PS4 headset and from what I see you'll most likely be able to use whatever wired headset you want. Mobile phone hands frees etc. Cool.

I want the wireless 5.1/7.1 though.

Apprentice
    DualShock 4 with speakers I am all in for it

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post

Sorry, but that Mono headset that ships with it looks like a POS. I can't stand those types of in-ear headsets, I prefer the newer style that plug into the ear canal (usually comes w/ multiple sizes adapters.) These are much more comfortable to me and I've got a few of them from my Smart Phones, but they block out too much of the external audio. But to be honest if I'm using this, I'll probably buy one with a Boom Mic and sit on top w/ foam cover (not complete over the ear.) I use one of these when on conference calls from the home line.

Better yet, I'd rather do the old BT headset like PS3. I've got a good quality BT headset that nobody has ever complained about the audio quality on.

That said, if we can go w/ a 5.1/7.1 Wireless w/ Mic, that would be worth spending up to $100 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I want the wireless 5.1/7.1 though.
    This is would be my preference, for up to $100. Going beyond this, then I'm out. Seeing the other proprietary connector next to the Mono Headset jack (which hopefully would support a stereo headset even though it's only for chat audio) I'm hoping it will support a 5.1/7.1 headset for the full audio.

If this is supported, and there's a system configuration to disable HDMI audio output when it's plugged in, that would be ideal IMHO. I'd spend $100 on a headset for this as well.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Its on the console. of all places.
    I know, wasn't that such a pain in the ass back then!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    What's the point of a speaker in the controller? I find it massively pointless.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    What's the point of a speaker in the controller? I find it massively pointless.
    For things that would come out the headset, when you're not using the headset it would pump it out the controller speaker. This would include voice chat, but also may include other things such as directions provided by a 3rd person character in a game, or alerts, or whatever the game developer may think you'd want to hear over your headset.

This is MUCH better than pumping it over your Front Speak (or even worse TV Speakers) IMHO.

If you don't like it I'm sure they're have options to disable it.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Got a 5.1. system so a little speaker in the controller seems completely pointless to me too.
    There was/is a speaker in the Wiimote and it's garbage imo.
    Last edited by Beast of Bourbon; 06-19-2013 at 07:08.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

DualShock 4

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Sorry, but that Mono headset that ships with it looks like a POS. I can't stand those types of in-ear headsets, I prefer the newer style that plug into the ear canal (usually comes w/ multiple sizes adapters.) These are much more comfortable to me and I've got a few of them from my Smart Phones, but they block out too much of the external audio. But to be honest if I'm using this, I'll probably buy one with a Boom Mic and sit on top w/ foam cover (not complete over the ear.) I use one of these when on conference calls from the home line.

Better yet, I'd rather do the old BT headset like PS3. I've got a good quality BT headset that nobody has ever complained about the audio quality on.

That said, if we can go w/ a 5.1/7.1 Wireless w/ Mic, that would be worth spending up to $100 for me.

This is would be my preference, for up to $100. Going beyond this, then I'm out. Seeing the other proprietary connector next to the Mono Headset jack (which hopefully would support a stereo headset even though it's only for chat audio) I'm hoping it will support a 5.1/7.1 headset for the full audio.

If this is supported, and there's a system configuration to disable HDMI audio output when it's plugged in, that would be ideal IMHO. I'd spend $100 on a headset for this as well.
    If it is what I think it is, a common audio jack, you can plug in whatever headset you want. In-ear, over the ear, earPods, the 360 headset, you name it.

Wireless virtual surround is already covered by Sony with 2 different products. These existing surround headsets will most likely be compatible with the PS4, although Sony will release updates soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Got a 5.1. system so a little speaker in the controller seems completely pointless to me too.
    There was/is a speaker in the Wiimote and it's garbage imo.
    Surround system FTW!

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Thread Information