Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 717 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'll have to find the article with the interview... it's a day one patch, but that was the plan anyways.

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I'd never hold a bet to something that isn't released lol. Hell, they could scrap the Xbox One before it launched lol. We'll have to see how it is, like I've said since the beginning, when it is in a home. I've known since the day the drm was announced that it was going to change. I've said it numerous times. Ixon, on the other hand, said the drm wasn't going away because they'd have to change their policies, and they wouldn't do that.

Ok, but sure.. if the bet needs to be done now, I will wear whatever he sends according to the rules, no problem with that. We all know I've been right the entire time.
    Ah, I gotcha. I think that is fair enough....you were holding off until console released -- that you did say. I just didn't associate that with (whatever Microsoft does inbetween) the bet.

To be fair, did you really expect them to update their policies? I expected them to, but I never got that impression from you.

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'll have to find the article with the interview... it's a day one patch, but that was the plan anyways.

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I'd never hold a bet to something that isn't released lol. Hell, they could scrap the Xbox One before it launched lol. We'll have to see how it is, like I've said since the beginning, when it is in a home. I've known since the day the drm was announced that it was going to change. I've said it numerous times. Ixon, on the other hand, said the drm wasn't going away because they'd have to change their policies, and they wouldn't do that.

Ok, but sure.. if the bet needs to be done now, I will wear whatever he sends according to the rules, no problem with that. We all know I've been right the entire time.
    they still are keeping part of their policies, like needing a connection to own the console...or you can always trick them.

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    You aren't making much sense with this post. I don' really understand what you are trying to say in the 1st half of your post.
    I know you don't. You, yourself do not understand the difference in making the device standard.

Regarding the PS2. The only non gaming functionality the PS2 had was playing dvd's/cd's.
    Not necessarily, the PS2 enjoyed DVD games due to this. Something Dreamcast did not have. That helped out much more than BD helped out PS3. DVD was clearly needed.

There really wasn't anything else it could do beside play games. So Sony and all the developers were focused on the games. Which is why you saw so many games come out for the PS2.
    No, Sony's focus hasn't changed, in fact, it has increased. They didn't have as many first party developers or games back then.

The reason why PS3 or any platform this gen, couldn't outdo the PS2 was largely due to the market changes that happened partly due to the economical changes and just for the fact that the market is just changing in general.

I don't see what basis there is for you to say the PS4 is a more dedicated gaming console than the PS2 was.
    Let's see, gaming features...x-game chat, sleep mode, streamlined OS, indie games, browsing while gaming, not the weakest console out of the bunch, more ways to control your games, internet connectivity more important, can buy games on the fly, skip mp or sp, trophies, trying out demos before you buy the game, and plenty more stuff, this is just off the top of my head. The fact that consoles are becoming more dedicated to the full scope of gaming is why they're becoming more popular. Just the ability to "play" the game isn't that good of a focus for today.

Seems like you guys don't know what focus or dedication means.
    If the 360/ps3/wii couldn't outdo the PS2 on the games front, what makes you think the PS4/X1/Wii u will then they are just evolutions of their predecessor consoles (for the most part).
    explained above. and honestly, they might just outdo the ps2 now...as things are getting better and so are consoles. games have a much larger demand now than before, that's for sure...just overall it has been lacking.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    @Matrix- Time will tell. But I cant see MS making it mandatory causing the console to be 100 dollars more and then not putting more of a focus on it. MS history is all we have to go by for right now. And MS history says they most likely will. And as said before I dont want motion control hybrids in my traditional games.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    @Matrix- Time will tell. But I cant see MS making it mandatory causing the console to be 100 dollars more and then not putting more of a focus on it. MS history is all we have to go by for right now. And MS history says they most likely will. And as said before I dont want motion control hybrids in my traditional games.
    So then you're not buying the PS4?

Forum Guru
    heard xbox line is down at the moment. Anyone can verify?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    So then you're not buying the PS4?
    The camera isnt mandatory on PS4. Means I can play traditional games without hybrid motion controls. Its called options. So not sure what youre talking about.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 06-20-2013 at 19:18.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    they still are keeping part of their policies, like needing a connection to own the console...or you can always trick them.

I know you don't. You, yourself do not understand the difference in making the device standard.

Not necessarily, the PS2 enjoyed DVD games due to this. Something Dreamcast did not have. That helped out much more than BD helped out PS3. DVD was clearly needed.

No, Sony's focus hasn't changed, in fact, it has increased. They didn't have as many first party developers or games back then.

The reason why PS3 or any platform this gen, couldn't outdo the PS2 was largely due to the market changes that happened partly due to the economical changes and just for the fact that the market is just changing in general.

Let's see, gaming features...x-game chat, sleep mode, streamlined OS, indie games, browsing while gaming, not the weakest console out of the bunch, more ways to control your games, internet connectivity more important, can buy games on the fly, skip mp or sp, trophies, trying out demos before you buy the game, and plenty more stuff, this is just off the top of my head. The fact that consoles are becoming more dedicated to the full scope of gaming is why they're becoming more popular. Just the ability to "play" the game isn't that good of a focus for today.

explained above. and honestly, they might just outdo the ps2 now...as things are getting better and so are consoles. games have a much larger demand now than before, that's for sure...just overall it has been lacking.
    It was said in an interview that it's a day one patch that was going to be there already, but we don't really know what the patch is for. Also, we don't know whether a game will be able to be played before that patch is applied. So, we'll see. We'll also see what else changes between now and launch lol.

This is the quote:

Giant Bomb: The machine does require a connection at least once when a user purchases it. Why is that?

Whitten: It was always part of the plan for Xbox One. It's as simple as the difference between our manufacturing schedules and our software schedules. There was always going to be a day-one update when we launched it.
    SOURCE
    Last edited by F34R; 06-20-2013 at 19:20.

Forum Sage

Pretty sure I do. It just seems you are not able to properly explain your point to get it across.

What does that have to do with what I was saying? For all intents and purposes, the PS2 had no non gaming abilities. I'm not talking about the merits of dvd's over cd's or other storage formats.

How much did the market grow from the PS2 generation to the PS3 generation? Adding up the total console sales from the PS2/xbox/gamecube and dreamcast gives us 211 million total consoles sold.

Adding up the current numbers from the PS3/360 and wii (and remember this generation isn't even over), gives us 247 million consoles sold to date. So the market size has increased, so your reasoning doesn't hold up.

Those are all ancillary/secondary things to the games themselves. The most important thing is the number of games available (and of course they have to be decent games). PS2 is king there.

And there is no way the PS3 (or other consoles of this generation will outsell the ps2). !55 million usints of the PS2 were sold. The wii is at ~100 million and is essentially dead. Predictions for the 360/ps3 may put them around ~100 million by the time those consoles are discontinued. No way any of them are coming close to the 155 million units of the PS2 that were sold.

Forum Overseer
    The camera isnt mandatory on PS4. Means I can play traditional games without hybrid motion controls. Its called options. So not sure what youre talking about.
    the camera isn't but move is integrated into the controller. so it's possible that they might use that integration as a hybrid way to control your games. i still don't understand why they made that an integration and not the camera...it's like paying $10 extra for that feature.

It was said in an interview that it's a day one patch that was going to be there already, but we don't really know what the patch is for. Also, we don't know whether a game will be able to be played before that patch is applied. So, we'll see. We'll also see what else changes between now and launch lol.

This is the quote:

SOURCE
    weird...but if you didn't have a connection, couldn't you just take it to some friend's place and then once activated, never connect again?

i just always thought that the reason for connection was to know for sure that these people may have an internet and DRM reasons.

Forum Sage
    The difference will be in the kinect only games of the 360 (for casuals) and the traditional games that will support Kinect on the X1.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    the camera isn't but move is integrated into the controller. so it's possible that they might use that integration as a hybrid way to control your games. i still don't understand why they made that an integration and not the camera...it's like paying $10 extra for that feature.

weird...but if you didn't have a connection, couldn't you just take it to some friend's place and then once activated, never connect again?

i just always thought that the reason for connection was to know for sure that these people may have an internet and DRM reasons.
    Yeah, it's pretty vague so far. He is saying something about manufacture schedules and software schedules... so, heck. It might be a digital distro reason for the patch. At this point, we don't know if I can buy it, bring it home, throw a game in there and play; or will I have to connect to the internet before it'll accept any game disc.

Forum Overseer
    @FEAR, I'm guessing it is to remove the restrictions. maybe not. but it's interesting that they said it was always going to be there...maybe that has to do with the fact that it was going to check for your connection...like registering the console but now they might use that to update the console and they're not being clear. the purpose of the update/registry might have changed.
    Pretty sure I do. It just seems you are not able to properly explain your point to get it across.
    You don't understand why Kinect implementation will be different this time around.

What does that have to do with what I was saying? For all intents and purposes, the PS2 had no non gaming abilities. I'm not talking about the merits of dvd's over cd's or other storage formats.
    I don't know what these features have anything to do with how dedicated a console is. PS2 offered a few additional options that weren't gaming-related but the console wasn't designed around that. If you want to go that far then Atari/NES/SNES were the only dedicated consoles.

PS3 was not a dedicated console hardware-wise but Sony's focus on it was definitely truly for gaming. 360 was more dedicated to gaming hardware-wise but MS' focus wasn't as strong for gaming.

How much did the market grow from the PS2 generation to the PS3 generation? Adding up the total console sales from the PS2/xbox/gamecube and dreamcast gives us 211 million total consoles sold.

Adding up the current numbers from the PS3/360 and wii (and remember this generation isn't even over), gives us 247 million consoles sold to date. So the market size has increased, so your reasoning doesn't hold up.
    lol I just told you that the demand for gaming has increased but the amount of games present has decreased. ps2 also did not have much competition, MS was new and Nintendo didn't know what they were doing...which is true now too.

everyone knows maths, but to interpret maths is another thing.

Those are all ancillary/secondary things to the games themselves. The most important thing is the number of games available (and of course they have to be decent games). PS2 is king there.
    duh, now you're just proving my point more lol. hello, market changes! prices hiking! less games even though more demand!

those are all things that are dedicated to gaming...or we wouldn't want those features for our games.

And there is no way the PS3 (or other consoles of this generation will outsell the ps2). !55 million usints of the PS2 were sold. The wii is at ~100 million and is essentially dead. Predictions for the 360/ps3 may put them around ~100 million by the time those consoles are discontinued. No way any of them are coming close to the 155 million units of the PS2 that were sold.
    your point? that proves what? that ps2 was more dedicated to gaming? lol, yea ignore everything i've said so far and believe in that.

EDIT: I guess we can conclude that Wii was the most dedicated gaming console this generation according to your reasoning.
    Last edited by Omar; 06-20-2013 at 19:48.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    At this point, we don't know if I can buy it, bring it home, throw a game in there and play; or will I have to connect to the internet before it'll accept any game disc.
    That's what it comes down to now.

But if you can just play games without doing the patch, then Don should have worded this differently:

After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
    This says you don't need to connect 'again'. It doesn't say that you don't ever need to connect.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    That's what it comes down to now.

But if you can play games without doing the patch, then Don should have worded this differently:

This says you don't need to connect 'again'. It doesn't say that you don't ever need to connect.
    Yeah it's confusing when you have two head guys saying the same thing, but differently lol.

iant Bomb: The machine does require a connection at least once when a user purchases it. Why is that?

Whitten: It was always part of the plan for Xbox One. It's as simple as the difference between our manufacturing schedules and our software schedules. There was always going to be a day-one update when we launched it.
    Last edited by F34R; 06-20-2013 at 19:53. Reason: spelling

Forum Sage
    @FEAR, I'm guessing it is to remove the restrictions. maybe not. but it's interesting that they said it was always going to be there...maybe that has to do with the fact that it was going to check for your connection...like registering the console but now they might use that to update the console and they're not being clear. the purpose of the update/registry might have changed.You don't understand why Kinect implementation will be different this time around.

I don't know what these features have anything to do with how dedicated a console is. PS2 offered a few additional options that weren't gaming-related but the console wasn't designed around that. If you want to go that far then Atari/NES/SNES were the only dedicated consoles.

PS3 was not a dedicated console hardware-wise but Sony's focus on it was definitely truly for gaming. 360 was more dedicated to gaming hardware-wise but MS' focus wasn't as strong for gaming.

lol I just told you that the demand for gaming has increased but the amount of games present has decreased. ps2 also did not have much competition, MS was new and Nintendo didn't know what they were doing...which is true now too.

everyone knows maths, but to interpret maths is another thing.

duh, now you're just proving my point more lol. hello, market changes! prices hiking! less games even though more demand!

those are all things that are dedicated to gaming...or we wouldn't want those features for our games.

your point? that proves what? that ps2 was more dedicated to gaming? lol, yea ignore everything i've said so far and believe in that.

Of course I understand the benefit of bundling the kinect with every X1. I was talking about move on the PS4 being half-assed because while they stuck the sensor on every DS4, they are no bundling the camera with every PS4 console. Which means at best they will achieve the amount of success that Kinect V 1.0 achieved on the 360. Which will be nowhere near the levels of kinect on the X1.

The PS2 and that generation of consoles were the last (and most recent) to completely deliver on the gaming experience without making sacrifices for/or focusing on non gaming capabilities.

There is no going back, so no future console will just be a "gaming" machine and nothing else.

It's as simple as that.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The difference will be in the kinect only games of the 360 (for casuals) and the traditional games that will support Kinect on the X1.
    And like I said I dont want hybrid motion controls being forced on me. I like options not mandates. I dont want to pay 100 dollars more for something that I have no interest in. I think further into the gen we will see more Kinect casual games and MS dropping any core IPs that dont sell well into the millions. History is all we have to go by for right now.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Yeah it's confusing when you have two head guys saying the same thing, but differently lol.
    Whitten isn't saying anything contradictory though. He's just explaining why you need to connect.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Whitten isn't saying anything contradictory though. He's just explaining why you need to connect.
    I didn't say it was contradictory. It's just like always, not clear. This is going to go on and on until the day the system launches, then we'll know what everything means. Interviews and talks aren't holding water.

Forum Sage

This is the quote:

SOURCE
    On Kotaku, I think they said that the patch enables offline play or something along the lines of -- but the patch isn't because of the DRM change. Here is the article I read: http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-rever...time-514419715

Here is the exact quote:

"Microsoft clarifies that the planned day-one Xbox One update, which Whitten told me, will "complete some of the software that won’t be there," is actually not a result of today's DRM policy change. Rather, it was always planned and will simply be required for playing off-line, among other things. Not a patch, they say. But, yes, your new Xbox console would have to connect online once in order to do the things Microsoft described today. And then you can keep it offline and play games without re-connecting to the Internet forever."
    A bit weird on how they are phrasing it because he starts of saying not because of the DRM change and then goes on to say patch is required for offline...

I saw this article after you mentioned the day one patch. I hadn't read it before.
    Last edited by sainraja; 06-20-2013 at 20:05.

Forum Sage
    And like I said I dont want hybrid motion controls being forced on me. I like options not mandates. I dont want to pay 100 dollars more for something that I have no interest in. I think further into the gen we will see more Kinect casual games and MS dropping any core IPs that dont sell well into the millions. History is all we have to go by for right now.
    Pretty sure the kinect controls in traditional games will be optional. And going by history MS should have killed off the 360 after ~4 years like it did with the original xbox.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I didn't say it was contradictory. It's just like always, not clear. This is going to go on and on until the day the system launches, then we'll know what everything means. Interviews and talks aren't holding water.
    Guess we'll wait until launch then.

It's just a shame that you'll have to use an embarrassing avatar as soon as the next-generation starts.

22. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer

Of course I understand the benefit of bundling the kinect with every X1. I was talking about move on the PS4 being half-assed because while they stuck the sensor on every DS4, they are no bundling the camera with every PS4 console. Which means at best they will achieve the amount of success that Kinect V 1.0 achieved on the 360. Which will be nowhere near the levels of kinect on the X1.
    Potential of success but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Yes, I misread your post as I thought you had said that Kinect and Move were going to repeat the success of their predecessors. I was arguing that Kinect 2.0 will have the potential of much better success. Right off the bat it will be better than Kinect 1.0's success but the potential is far superior.

The PS2 and that generation of consoles were the last (and most recent) to completely deliver on the gaming experience without making sacrifices for/or focusing on non gaming capabilities.

There is no going back, so no future console will just be a "gaming" machine and nothing else.

It's as simple as that.
    lol sure if you really want to believe that but if you do, could you please explain how PS4 is making sacrifices for non-gaming capabilities or losing focus?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Just a point.

The Xbox One will not require a "patch".
    Early models will be sold with out the latest dash update. That is all.

Expect later manufactured models to have the dash installed.

So, yes launch models will need it. No, it will not require it on all models sold.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Pretty sure the kinect controls in traditional games will be optional. And going by history MS should have killed off the 360 after ~4 years like it did with the original xbox.
    Yeah will time will tell. MS really didnt have a choice in killing off the OG Xbox so I dont think that really applies.

Forum Sage
    Potential of success but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Yes, I misread your post as I thought you had said that Kinect and Move were going to repeat the success of their predecessors. I was arguing that Kinect 2.0 will have the potential of much better success. Right off the bat it will be better than Kinect 1.0's success but the potential is far superior.

lol sure if you really want to believe that but if you do, could you please explain how PS4 is making sacrifices for non-gaming capabilities or losing focus?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
    The PS4 can do much more than just play games. Previously with the PS1/2 sony's focus on the console was the games. Nothing else to distract them. Which is why both consoles amassed the largest game libraries of any other consoles in existence.

Today there are many more things Sony needs to focus on, from the PSN network/store, to the non gaming/social features and beyond. Because of these distractions they can never again be as dedicated to games as they were with the PS1/2. Sure they can add features to improve/change the overall gaming experience, but as far as the number of games are concerned and Sony's focus, we will never see what was accomplished with the PS1/2 ever again.

27. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post

Thread Information