Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Are Supplements and Multivitamins Good or Bad for Us?

Are supplements and multivitamins good or bad for people? I think they're good, the exception being if you take too much. We don't get enough nutrients in our food these days. Ever since I started taking multivitamins and supplements, my performance physically and mentally strengthened.

What inspired me to make this thread was a discussion on CNN this morning. The man stated that people should eat good food instead of taking vitamins and supplements. He also said alternative medicine needs to be regulated. My response is: What if I and other people can't afford the good food? Fish is high, especially good fish and shrimp. Quality food costs more money. If I were to go into the grocery store and buy hamburger patties, I'd have to pay a lot more for the less fat patties than the patties that ooze grease.

I do agree that supplements and vitamins need to be regulated. I saw a supplement yesterday with 1000% of daily value. That's taking ten times the recommended amount of the nutrient! We need vitamins and supplements approved by the FDA or nutrition people.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

You need to do research. It depends on the brand. Some have coatings on the pill made from vegetables and have high bioavailability. Others, like Centrum, have a toxic coating and absorb like $#@!.

Some are in liquid form.

Be that as it may, you must realize that they're still supplements in that they "supplement" an existing good diet. They fill in the holes for you in what you're missing. Taking a multi won't make up for crap eating.

Also... getting your vits and mins from food will always be better than from a supp. You can overdose on vits and mins in supplement form, but not with food. The only food you can overdose on vitamins with is liver, which has toxic amounts of vitamin A. That is disgusting anyway so it shouldn't be hard to avoid.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-20-2013 at 02:36.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    You need to do research. It depends on the brand. Some have coatings on the pill made from vegetables and have high bioavailability. Others, like Centrum, have a toxic costing and absorb like $#@!.

Some are in liquid form.

Be that as it may, you must realize that they're still supplements in that they "supplement" an existing good diet. They fill in the holes for you in what you're missing. Taking a multi won't make up for crap eating.

Also... getting you vits and mins from food will always be better than from a supp. You can overdose on bits and mins in supplement form, but not with food. The only good you can overdose on vitamins with is liver, which has toxic amounts of vitamin A. That is disgusting anyway so it shouldn't be hard to avoid.
    wait so centrum is bad?
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    wait so centrum is bad?
    Yes. They're good at marketing a crap product.
    Also, forgive all the typos in that post. On my phone. -_-
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-20-2013 at 02:37.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Yes. They're good at marketing a crap product.
    Also, forgive all the typos in that post. On my phone. -_-
    So what would you suggest then? I have been using that for multi vatimins.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Administrator

So what would you suggest then? I have been using that for multi vatimins.
    'NOW Special Two' is really good. I'm too lazy to go look at the liquid vitamins I'm taking now. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Miqo'te Bard
    'NOW Special Two' is really good. I'm too lazy to go look at the liquid vitamins I'm taking now. I'll let you know tomorrow.
    thanks I ordered some of those.

Administrator
    thanks I ordered some of those.
    There's the cap version and the pill version. The pill version is literally two pills a day. The pills are also gigantic, so you might have to cut it in half just to take one pill. I'm not good with swallowing gigantic supplement pills (I have achalasia), which is why I was happy to find a quality liquid supplement.

Miqo'te Bard
    There's the cap version and the pill version. The pill version is literally two pills a day. The pills are also gigantic, so you might have to cut it in half just to take one pill. I'm not good with swallowing gigantic supplement pills (I have achalasia), which is why I was happy to find a quality liquid supplement.
    I got the pills. Centrum is pretty big. Two a day is fine. Trying to get myself healthy.

Administrator
    I got the pills. Centrum is pretty big. Two a day is fine. Trying to get myself healthy.
    Try and improve your diet any way you can. I hope you like the pills.

Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day... I'd say that should be #1 as most people are dehydrated and don't know it. And water is pretty cheap. :]

Miqo'te Bard
    Try and improve your diet any way you can. I hope you like the pills.

Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day... I'd say that should be #1 as most people are dehydrated and don't know it. And water is pretty cheap. :]
    I drink 8-12 bottles a day. I have perfected eggs with out yoke. Was easier than I thought haha

Administrator
    I drink 8-12 bottles a day. I have perfected eggs with out yoke. Was easier than I thought haha
    If you're having 3 or 4 eggs, let at least 1 have a yolk. The yolk contains most of the nutrients. That should create a balance of nutrients and low cholesterol.

Miqo'te Bard
    If you're having 3 or 4 eggs, let at least 1 have a yolk. The yolk contains most of the nutrients. That should create a balance of nutrients and low cholesterol.
    I have about 2 at breakfast

Administrator
    I have about 2 at breakfast
    Well if you want to have one with a yolk once in a while, don't be afraid to. :P It's when you start having a bunch every day that the cholesterol can be an issue.

Administrator
    I never bothered to respond to supplements in general. As long as you buy from reputable companies... you should generally be okay. However, since supplements are not considered food... you are correct... they are not regulated by the FDA... which is worrisome... but when you look at the pharmaceuticals the FDA approves that kill 100,000+ people a year (when taken as prescribed)... are you really that confident in the safety of what they deem safe? I think the FDA needs an overhaul more than anything.

16. Likes Eliphaz Levi likes this post

PSN ID
    Eliphaz
    I know very little about nutrition, but I do know fresh veggies and fruits are the best thing for you, I've heard its good to have as much and many colors as possible not just 'greens'. While fresh veggies may appear overly expensive the price per serving isn't as high as 1st appearances. The main issue besides cleaning them well is buying the right amount to match your consumption and avoid waste due to spoilage.Nuts and berries are generally very good for us too. If your a meat eater chicken breast is really good for you compared with red meats. How you prepare and store your food is also very important. Its mostly common sense, but the idea is to get as many nutrients from your food as possible, make the calories count & not just be empty, then supplement with vitamins. Read the ingredient labels on your foods, they are listed by the % in the item- ie the 1st ingredient listed makes up more of the item then the next. Peanutbuttermunkey covered most the other thoughts on the topic that crossed my mind.

PSN ID
    Eliphaz
    The FDA is very bad imho. They don't do enough to protect the consumer. Genetically modified 'stuff' isn't required to be labeled, they allow the use of countless poisons in fertilizer and insectisides, hormones and antibiotics in meats. food processing/shipping/handling practices, I could go on, its VERY bad. There are loads of documentaries on the food industry available, I'm pretty sure netflix has a few.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Eliphaz Levi View Post
    I know very little about nutrition, but I do know fresh veggies and fruits are the best thing for you, I've heard its good to have as much and many colors as possible not just 'greens'. While fresh veggies may appear overly expensive the price per serving isn't as high as 1st appearances. The main issue besides cleaning them well is buying the right amount to match your consumption and avoid waste due to spoilage.Nuts and berries are generally very good for us too. If your a meat eater chicken breast is really good for you compared with red meats. How you prepare and store your food is also very important. Its mostly common sense, but the idea is to get as many nutrients from your food as possible, make the calories count & not just be empty, then supplement with vitamins. Read the ingredient labels on your foods, they are listed by the % in the item- ie the 1st ingredient listed makes up more of the item then the next. Peanutbuttermunkey covered most the other thoughts on the topic that crossed my mind.
    You forgot nuts, which are immensely healthy, despite being full of "fat" (it's unsaturated fat, which you can have an abundance of since it lowers the viscosity of your cell membranes... allowing for better nutrient intake, unclogging arteries, making skin more youthful, and a host of other benefits). But for knowing "very little about nutrition", you gave a nice little summary there.

The FDA is very bad imho. They don't do enough to protect the consumer. Genetically modified 'stuff' isn't required to be labeled, they allow the use of countless poisons in fertilizer and insectisides, hormones and antibiotics in meats. food processing/shipping/handling practices, I could go on, its VERY bad. There are loads of documentaries on the food industry available, I'm pretty sure netflix has a few.
    Which is why I'm probably going to grow my own food whenever possible. Just look up Monsanto. They make 90% of the products in the stores... and that's not a good thing.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-20-2013 at 04:25.

PSN ID
    Eliphaz
    Monsanto is the devil. The most recent thing I came across was the amount of puss in milk , very disgusting stuff.

Administrator

Monsanto is the devil. The most recent thing I came across was the amount of puss in milk , very disgusting stuff.
    I read that in the not too distant future, all milk is going to have aspartame. Organic milk is actually worse than normal milk. It's treated at such a high temperature that it kills all the nutrients.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I just find them unnecessary.
    You should be able to get all the nutrients you need through your normal diet.

There might be "experts" that would tell me that im lacking x or y but as far as im concerned it's just cashgrabbing.
    But if it helps some people i'd say go ahead and take it, can't be worse then the usuall $#@! we eat 24/7 can it?!

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I'm taking Centrum Multivitamins too. I'll look at other brands then.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

I talked with a pharmacist about this earlier on in the year. He said that most young people do not really need any vitamins. I'm 19 and work out quite frequently. He pretty much said if you want to take them, then take them. I don't see the harm in taking one a day or maybe even one every few days. Just do not over-do it.

PSN ID
    Eliphaz
    Aspartimine is also very bad, for those that don't know its in alot of stuff already, pepsi comes to mind. Its been linked to cancer in studies.
    There is a huge difference in fresh milk, un-pasturized, no added vitamins, pure grass fed dairy milk, theres no comparison.
    The only way to really eat well is if you know a farmer, or grow your own. That said the next best thing is to be proactive in selecting and watching what you eat.
    The biggest shame is the ignorance of the American public when it comes to the FDA, we shop and believe the gov't is watching out for our best interest, when in fact they are very lax on regulations. Another issue is that people say ' ah your going to die anyway', or ' its always been this way'- these are defeatest attitudes, and it hasn't been this way long. Industrial agriculture is very new, as is the advent of man made chemicals.
    And not just the FDA either, the fire retardant chemicals in your keyboard or controller and other electronics are terrible for you and enter thru your skin.
    There everywhere, I recently heard on NPR that the amount of Bpa's on your average sales receipt are higher than the majority of products before the ban. They to enter thru the skin.
    I don't mean to sound like a radical. I live the same everyday life as most, I find it very interesting that once you open your eyes and start to look around you become aware of alot of things that were right under your nose, at your fingertips, and in your belly.
    Sorry for straying so far off topic.

I don't think taking a multivitamin is harmful,I for one take vitamin D,I live in New York and after having a blood test found i was lacking vitamin D which is not surprising since i don't go out in the sun in the winter which is a great way to absorb vitamin D,lack of vitamin D leads to softening of bones (rickets)and depression among other things.Vitamin D also helps absorption of calcium,doing your research ,going to the doctor taking a simple blood test,and doing your best to eat a healthy well balanced diet,which is a chore in todays society because our food is being mutilated by pesticide and growth hormones and God knows what else,taking a good multi one a day should be good to fill in the blanks,especially for busy people who tend to pick whats quick over whats healthy,or people that live in poorer neighborhoods where healthy choices are not as easily available

Thread Information