Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

What was the better console, Nintendo 64 or GameCube?

I'd have to say the Nintendo GameCube was the better console.

Design-wise, I was impressed with how small the console and its game discs were. The controller for the Nintendo GameCube was also more comfortable. Not as easy to comment on games because I mostly played on the PSone and PS2.

I will say that I didn't enjoy Ocarina of Time as much as most people. I did play and enjoy GoldenEye 007 a lot with a friend. Also, while I didn't get into the series until Metroid Fusion, I think it's worth pointing out that there was no Metroid title for the Nintendo 64 (Sakamoto said he disliked the N64 controller).

Super Smash Bros. Melee was a lot of fun. Without a doubt, the most time spent playing a game on the GameCube with myself, family and friends.

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I couldn't really get used to the n64 controller it was so freaking awkward I had it for a long time and played so many games like smash bros, dk 64, kirby 64, paper mario etc.
    But I liked the gamecube better I had so much fun playing multiplayer in melee and james bond nightfire tdm with my fam. I also enjoyed conflict desert storm one and 2 co-op some really fun times. I had a gamecube for so long and it died on me in 09
    I had so many games for it too. Wish I could go back man..

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    N64 is the easy choice for me. It had the most quality games of the 2 systems.

4. Likes Kwes likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    I couldn't really get used to the n64 controller it was so freaking awkward I had it for a long time and played so many games like smash bros, dk 64, kirby 64, paper mario etc.
    But I liked the gamecube better I had so much fun playing multiplayer in melee and james bond nightfire tdm with my fam. I also enjoyed conflict desert storm one and 2 co-op some really fun times. I had a gamecube for so long and it died on me in 09
    I had so many games for it too. Wish I could go back man..
    I remember we rented Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium from Blockbuster once. $#@!, those days, it was all about Pokemon.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Easily the N64. Ocarina of Time, Mario, Bomberman, Star Fox, Kart, Mario Party, etc. All so much fun. The gamecube had some really interesting exclusives, but outside of Melee, a lot of the older franchises didn't stack up to their 64 counterpart. I don't hate on the gamecube though. First console of that generation I owned, but I was pretty disappointed how limiting it was in the multiplatform department due to design choices.

Ancient
    Gamecube, REmake & RE4

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Friendship is Carrots
    This is hard to answer. I loved both consoles a lot, but I think overall I'd have to select the Nintendo 64 as being better. It had a larger list of great games compared to the Gamecube. Starfox, Banjo Kazooie 1 and 2, Super Mario 64, all those hours playing multiplayer in Perfect Dark and GoldenEye, Mario Kart, Diddy-Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64, Bomberman, the original Smash Brothers, Pokemon Stadium, etc. I simply put more into the N64 as gamer.

That said, I still loved my Gamecube a lot. I greatly enjoyed Turok, Animal Crossing, Smash Bro. Melee, and Super Mario Sunshine. Last of all for me was Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker, which I think is the best Zelda game around. It's in my top 10 games, and I still play it even today via emulator on my PC.

Last edited by Nerevar; 06-20-2013 at 02:28.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I remember we rented Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium from Blockbuster once. $#@!, those days, it was all about Pokemon.
    Loli liked snap did you ever play "Hey you Pikachu?" I remember renting that in bb as well.

‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Loli liked snap did you ever play "Hey you Pikachu?" I remember renting that in bb as well.
    No, actually. Was it any good?

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    No, actually. Was it any good?
    It was so long ago. But I did remember enjoying it. You had a different goal each day with pikachu. I think you had 365 I don't really remember. It was a good game imo.

Forum Sage
    N64 all the way. The last time nintendo actually tried and succeeded at being a good competitor in the console space.

13. Likes John25 , Fenix likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    The Gamecube, other than Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time (which got a semi remake on GC), Nintendo outdid every franchise with the sequel on the GCN. It also had decent ports most of the time unlike a lot of N64 titles missing cutscenes due to the lack of space.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    It also had decent ports most of the time unlike a lot of N64 titles missing cutscenes due to the lack of space.
    Skies of Arcadia: Legends was a great enhanced port of a Sega Dreamcast title. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the PS2 port of Grandia II.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I really enjoyed the design of the Gamecube. It was small and the discs were also small. I ended up getting the Gamecube just by its final years and it was a good deal at the time. It came from a GameStop bundle with MarioKart DoubleDash, and most of the classic games were already Nintendo Hits; ended up getting Metroid Prime, StarFox Adventures, Star War Rogue Squadron 2, Melee, Super Mario SunShine and I believe Wind Waker. And then the list went to some new releases, RE4, Pokemon Colliseum and Echoes. All of that in the same year. Unfortunately, I never finished most of those games lol.

As for the N64, it was my first ever owned console. I started off with WCW vs NWO World Tour, StarFox 64 and GoldenEye and Mario Kart. And of course, the same experience as most of you guys. Also the same process renting Pokemon Stadium and Super Smash Bros until I bought them.

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    N64 by far

N64 - 8/10
    GC - 4/10

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    64 had hey you pikachu, but I have more gamecube games and I go back to my GC more than my 64

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Only memories I have of the, N64 was both Banjo games and Mario Kart. GameCube gave me a number of experiences starting from Harvest Moon to Tales of Symphonia, Windwaker and Mario Sunshine (I personally loved that game). I would like to try, Skies of Arcadia since Blacksite keeps mentioning that game whenever it's relevant to throw it in a discussion.

Unbound Mercenary
    N64 by long shot. You can't compare with how many hours I spent playing Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, or Superman 64.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Superior Member
    Gamecube because of:

Resident Evil 0
    Resident Evil Remake
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2:Rogue Leader
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron Rebel Strike

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i remember those days. trading pokemon cards during recess and lunch on the playground. i fudging loved pokemon i had the gameboy games and pokedex....

with no exaggeration whatsoever, i can say that seeing 3D pokemon literally made my heart skip beats. i couldn't take my eyes off the screen. picture a wide eyed, snotty nosed, kid fixated on a single point and you've pictured my first moments with pokemon stadium.

the screeches, the sound effects, the moves, the announcer, the POKEMON. at this point in my life i knew every word to the anime opening and my inner pokenerd was working in overdrive. my head was filled with fanciful amazements and i couldn't go to sleep that night.

Nintendo 64 by a long, long, long, mile!

sadly it wasn't my N64 it was my cousins who lived in AUS; my time with it was so short lived. he did me a solid though and gave me a mewtwo pokemon card to lessen the blow of leaving pokemon stadium behind. VERY fond memories of my time with the nintendo 64
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    I'll just leave this here...

Yeah, that's right. I preferred WW to OoT and MM.

24. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    N64 by long shot. You can't compare with how many hours I spent playing Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, or Superman 64.

Ughhhh, have you actually tried playing Superman 64? I think that might be worst game ever made. Worse than E.T.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Never owned a Gamecube but still have my N64 which I bought because of Goldeneye. It is the only game to make me buy a console specifically to play that game alone, ever.
    I slowly got more games, Rainbow six ($#@!e) Mario 64, World is not Enough (surprisingly good multiplayer) Perfect Dark and Mario Kart.
    Had loads of fun with Perfect Dark and Mario Kart.

The N64 controller is real bad, I had to stop playing after an hour or so because my hands go numb.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-20-2013 at 17:10.

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Ughhhh, have you actually tried playing Superman 64? I think that might be worst game ever made. Worse than E.T.
    Frustration makes me stronger. I beat the entire game over hours upon hours of raging hatred. I did end up beating it. I made that game my $#@!. lol
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Frustration makes me stronger. I beat the entire game over hours upon hours of raging hatred. I did end up beating it. I made that game my $#@!. lol
    You showed those giant rings who was boss?

It sounds like it was frustrating for everyone. I read that the game wasn't even 10 percent of what the producer and his team set out to do.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 06-20-2013 at 21:01.

Thread Information