Latest PSU headlines:

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

Shared Gaming May Be Coming to Steam

Did Steam felt threatened by the XB1 for a bit there?

Code found in Steam points to possible game sharing with other members.

I'm a big fan of Steam. It's super easy to purchase and download games, and the community and discounts keep me coming back for more. Heck, I probably have a mountain of titles I've purchased over the last six months that I'll never get around to playing in the near future. I will even buy discounted PC games from other platforms like Amazon and GameFly just to acquire the Steam key. For PC gamers, Steam is a treasure chest.

But what's a total pain is buying games for the kids like Sonic the Hedgehog or the highly popular LEGO titles (we have them all I think). Given that purchases are locked to one specific account, they can't be loaned out to friends and family. Sure, you can log into your Steam account on any other authorized device for others to play, but there can be only one login at a time. Thus, if your son is playing LEGO Batman on the den computer, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is not an option until he's logged off.

Bummer. Sure, a separate Steam account could be used to purchase games for the kids to play separately, but that's just another account to deal with, and another account with credit card information. No thanks.

However now with all the hoopla surrounding Xbox One and games locked to a specific user, code has suddenly popped up in Steam that suggests Valve may be loosening the reigns a bit on game sharing. Although the company hasn't announced anything official, Steam may eventually feature a "shared game library" that allows other Steam users to borrow your games.

Here are the "relevant" parts of the code provided by Kotaku:

* "SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"
    * "SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerT ext" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
    * "SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerTe xt" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."

As the code shows, game owners can let other Steam users "borrow" their games. For instance, I could create a new account for my son without having to enter credit card information, then let him play LEGO Batman from his new account. But if I were to play LEGO Batman, he would be forced to stop. Thus, only one gamer can play LEGO Batman at a time no simultaneous uses, or so it seems.

Of course, there's a good chance this option will never become a finalized feature. Like the Xbox One, it will be up to the publishers if they allow their titles to be borrowed from paying customers. Maybe there will be a user limit, or possibly even a time limit who knows at this point.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ste...l#xtor=RSS-998

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Knowing how long Valve take to sort anything out that code has probably been there for a while. Or ,maybe they felt like the mused since XBone was being compared to Steam.

While that sounds good I have a hard time playing the 170 games I have on Steam as it is, sharing it just makes it more confusing I do hope this comes though. Would be a good way to trial a game to see if it is worth buying.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The Xbox sharing features got me thinking about the gifting business on steam but after researching it doesn't seem possible to gift a game you already own, you can only buy the game as a gift then send it to someone, and the trading requires both parties to have an item to trade with, i.e swap
    Last edited by keefy; 06-20-2013 at 20:39.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Probably also have something to do with the EU because they stated that used software licenses are legal

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...al_even_online

No idea if this effects games possibly only software as in MS Office etc but it would be a great idea if they did it.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

5. Likes MjW likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    Probably also have something to do with the EU because they stated that used software licenses are legal

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...al_even_online

No idea if this effects games possibly only software as in MS Office etc but it would be a great idea if they did it.

Just when I thought the EU were screwing the UK big time they make decisions like this.

Thread Information