Forum Elder

Titanfall, Watch Dogs developers discuss Xbox One's cloud computing advantage..

Titanfall is, of course, one of Xbox One's key exclusives, an always-online mech-and-infantry shooter that carries out certain tasks in the Xbox Live cloud. "Phase one is you have a single-player world that exists in multiplayer, so you have a lot of AI that the cloud is really helping us with," Emslie told the site.

"We're calculating a lot of the AI on that end. And we have dedicated servers. There's a lot of tough stuff with your NAT settings. We don't have to worry about that at all any more, so partying up is a breeze. Your NAT can be restricted if you want.

"The cloud, I don't know if we would have attempted something like this had we not had access to it," he went on. "In some ways we're trying to do something different, but it also really inspired the crew to see there's something here that's really powerful we can use.

"What could we do that's different with it, and how can we push that? We're just starting to scratch the surface with it. We're not even stressing it out yet. But the cloud gives us that. We started down a path with it, and it supports what we're ultimately after, which is a multiplayer campaign that's combining these worlds together with dedicated servers."

All of Titanfall's AI and physics calculations occur in the cloud, and matchmaking has also been enhanced. "It's not peer-to-peer any more. We just wiped that away. In the past, when you were playing multiplayer games, you had to make sure the party leader had an open NAT. It was just this big hassle.
    "We don't have to worry about any of that any more. It's fantastic. When I say the cloud I'm talking about dedicated servers as well and how they interact with each other. We're really happy with it."
    Watch Dogs, meanwhile, is a GTA-style sandbox that openly parodies the ubiquity of connected devices. This would seem to pose difficulties when it comes to endorsing always-online gaming, but Guay's keen on the possibilities. "While we play multiplayer games there is latency. If you play a game of Watch Dogs with me, I know where you are and I see you, but there's latency in setting that position.

"So suppose you were an AI, and the decision to make you move was run elsewhere. There would be the same latency," he continued. "If you think about it, it's not different than you holding the controller when you're playing multiplayer. It might allow someone to use one dedicated machine just for on AI. What kind of AI could I do with that? That's interesting." Physics calculations, similarly, aren't dependent on strict timing. "The way a tree reacts to weather, it's physics, right?" Guay went on. "It's bending materials. Well, what if I could run that on the cloud? It doesn't need to be fully synced. There are occasions where there will be an advantage, but it's clear in the short term there's plenty of power within the machines. That's where our engineers are working."
    titanfall-watch-dogs-developers-discuss-xbox-ones-cloud

2. Likes Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This game is gonna be tons of fun.

Flaw3d Genius
    Dedicated servers FTW!!! $#@! it im re-preordering a Xbox One!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I am pretty excited for the game for sure. The videos I've seen were pretty bad ass.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I want to wait for a price drop before buying X1. Sigh....Titanfall just isn't going to allow that, is it?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Dang, I never really thought of some of that stuff for the cloud use. That is sick.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    All I needed to hear was dedicated servers and I'm sold. Every Xbox One game uses dedicated servers now right?

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    All I needed to hear was dedicated servers and I'm sold. Every Xbox One game uses dedicated servers now right?
    That's pretty much what is luring me to the XB1.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

So does this mean both these games will be always online single player campaigns?

Soldier 95B
    So is the 360 version peer to peer?

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I would assume so. I'd like to know the answer though..

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    They make it out like dedicated servers is a new technology.

And dare I say it the PC version.

Superior Member
    So what happens now that a connection isn't required? Can you not play if you're not connected or is the non-connected version nerfed?
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    I believe it is up to the developers to implement the servers, but they are available to them in the toolset if they choose to do so.

Forum Elder
    to tell you the truth. I'll never know or care as I'd not be getting it on anything other than Xbox ONE.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    So what happens now that a connection isn't required? Can you not play if you're not connected or is the non-connected version nerfed?
    I'd imagine that single player games that make use of the cloud will have some form of information on the box saying that you need to be connected to use.

can only but hope that MS caving in to a minority does not put the mockers on cloud.

Thread Information