Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Family Sharing & Roaming will return but only for digital copy

I agree with this guy:
    http://gengame.net/2013/06/dear-micr...stem-wide-drm/
    Family sharing and roaming (accessing your games from the cloud) will return eventually but only for the digital download copy of games which will get more people to switch to digital, but more importantly it will be a counter to sony unless they start to do similar things.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If its not actually sharing the game, then they can keep their "feature".

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If its not actually sharing the game, then they can keep their "feature".
    Are you honestly expecting them to let you share a full game to 10 different people indefinitely with no timer?

Gotta admit.. they would be mad to do that.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Are you honestly expecting them to let you share a full game to 10 different people indefinitely with no timer?

That's what they've been promoting this entire time.

5. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Elite Guru
    I know, they weren't clear on the info. It did seem too good to be true though. I mean. 10 different people playing the same copy indefinitely. That's bad for business..

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Apparently Family sharing was just a demo mode? This was a pastebin blog from "a heartbroken MS mployee".

First is family sharing, this feature is near and dear to me and I truly felt it would have helped the industry grow and make both gamers and developers happy. The premise is simple and elegant, when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library. Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didn’t have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to.
    http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/1...-rip-must-read

Forum Guru

A lot of people promoting this feature fail to also mention about the timer. Why was this not mentioned by those pro-Xbone supporters?

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I know, they weren't clear on the info. It did seem too good to be true though. I mean. 10 different people playing the same copy indefinitely. That's bad for business..
    That is what they were trying to sell us on. Major Nelson used it constantly to every DRM question at E3. IF it is true that the sharing was going to be timed then they purposefully left that info out. But I'm not taking the word of anonymous Internet users as truth.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    I haven't seen a single article or MS statement that mentioned it was timed. If that was the case then that's very underhand and deliberately misleading. However, I'd prefer to see the 'factual' statement - we are of course in a period of great FUD (i.e. the period leading up the console releases)

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Forum Guru
    I do not believe publisher would even be happy with this family sharing. Its just too pro consumer for publishers to stomach. There has to be a catch.

Soldier 95B
    Since Microsoft has never said any such thing, I will just chalk this up as another rumor. As it stands now, it was sharing the full game.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Since Microsoft has never said any such thing, I will just chalk this up as another rumor. As it stands now, it was sharing the full game.
    Sharing the full game can also be considered a rumor you know, since nothing is set in stone, just like the DRM backtrack.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm sure devs and publishers were cool with buy 1 get 10 free. It's that second handmarket that was the real killer.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I thought only one other person would have been able to play each of your shared games at one time?

You guys are making it seem like all 10 people would have been able to play the same shared game at once.

16. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Apprentice

From everything I read/heard/watched on the Family sharing it worked like this...

You have 10 out of your friends list designated as part of the Family Share Plan.

Any games you have would be playable by any of those 10, but only 1 game at a time....ie...you have 50 games available, friend 1 starts playing game 20....games 1-19 and 21-50 are unavailable to anyone else on your Family Share Plan.....until friend 1 stops playing.

It was stated YOU can play any of your games anytime.....so that should have allowed you and one other to play the same game.

So all your games....only 1 being played at any time by whichever friend starts playing it first....while you have full access to all of them.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    ~Its been a week since E3 ended and MS still need to clarify this stuff even though they removed the DRM, its still not all roses.
    IT seems that the MS execs took a leaf out of government.

"To decide to conceal information from you is a heavy burden for any official to bare but to decide not reveal information is routine procedure."
    Last edited by keefy; 06-21-2013 at 14:46.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    That is what they were trying to sell us on. Major Nelson used it constantly to every DRM question at E3. IF it is true that the sharing was going to be timed then they purposefully left that info out. But I'm not taking the word of anonymous Internet users as truth.
    Yeah I'm only going off what that "Heartbroken" Microsoft employee stated. I think it was something along the lines of "You can share a trial version of the full game for up to an hour".

You definitely cannot have 10 people playing the same copy at a time. Explained in the link below at 3:20.

http://youtu.be/6RtSGFryKwo

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    So it's like the PSP game sharing.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ANDYENG
    10 people can't play it at the same time. You can only share it to 10 people.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    MS let it get out of hand. If we are still confused(in a sense that everything isn't clear despite MS statements) then you know the general public is still confused and word of mouth of the negative things will continue to spread rapidly. Smh MS should fire whoever was in charge of this marketing strategy because they did a horrible job since the reveal.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ANDY View Post
    10 people can't play it at the same time. You can only share it to 10 people.
    Yes I know. I didn't say playing it together.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Apparently Family sharing was just a demo mode? This was a pastebin blog from "a heartbroken MS mployee".

http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/1...-rip-must-read
    from twitter..
    question: Is it true that the "family sharing" was only demos for like an hour? You weren't actually sharing the full game?

Aaron Greenberg No, that was confusing and not true.

question:So, if 1 hour time limit isn't true, what was Family Sharing then? Was it as awesome as people imagined it to be?

Aaron Greenberg There was no time limit, it was as we described. Team still investing in more digital features over time.

Elite Guru
    Since they've pulled it, they can say it 'was' whatever they want. Doesn't make it true, though. Microsoft have been beyond terrible with their PR. Now their strategy is DOA (or even before!) they've got nothing to lose on trying to up-sell a now probably redundant idea.

If Aaron himself says it was confusing, they clearly didn't promote it properly.

As it stands, it feels like they're packing up their ball and going home in a huff. Clearly, I don't trust them.

27. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Forum Sage
    I think what it was suppose to be, or what they were saying before, was that if you share, only one person could play at a time.

Thread Information