Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation

New Community Manager role

Hi PSU Community,

The decision has been made to redefine the role of PSU’s next Community Manager. I’d like to make it clear that this no slur on the work that CUGUY has done and may continue to do. This is very much about changing the role of what the Community Manager does at PSU. CUGUY is likely to be a strong candidate again for this position though his duties will have to be adjusted. This has caused some unrest with some forum staff who are fiercely loyal to CUGUY and don’t agree with this move. Let me tell you, CUGUY has not been sacked from PSU. He’s been asked to think about the new defined role and decide whether he still wants to apply for it. He has been a great ambassador for PSU and will be offered an alternate role should he wish not to apply.

As the role has been redefined, it’s the opportunity for other community members to put forward their case to be PSU’s next Community Manager.

Blacksite and Lethal_NFS have resigned immediately from their positions, which is a big blow to the site after their hard work. They made this decision. It’s also likely further forum staff will quit. Let’s make it clear – this is a move to rejuvenate the role of what a CM is for PSU.com. It is to give the CM more focus on what is expected and to ensure the role fits in with PSU’s objectives as a site that plans to take off as we head toward next-gen. This is to help motivate the CM to drive forward with new ideas for the community and fit into plans to ensure that the homepage and community correlate better. It's also likely that we'll need new admins, mods and SMCs though I'm hoping that some of the rest of the existing team will stick with us no matter what the outcome.

I’d like to make it clear that this no slur on the work that CUGUY has done or the forum staff. This is very much about changing the role of what the community manager does at PSU and having someone in charge that has real vision and drive as we head toward next-gen. As a result we feel that anyone who is interested should be able to apply. CUGUY is likely to be a strong candidate again for this position which will be decided by a panel of judges.

What can you bring to the table in terms of helping to grow the community?

Before you apply, please consider the following.

THE ROLE OF THE CM
    Here’s some of things we’re looking for…

The role has many different layers and levels, including handling negativity, thinking of fun new ideas and positively interacting with the community. The CM should be a strong communicator and be empathetic towards its members.

The CM’s role should be to build a productive online community, grow it and keep it healthy. You must have enthusiasm and drive to make PSU forums a great place to visit.

The CM should welcome in new members and immediately think of ways to involve them in the fabric of the community.

The CM should think of ideas for contest, giveaways and award programs.

The CM should look at ways in which we can improve our subscription program

The CM should be a regular contributor the forum. Get to know their members and understand their needs.

The CM should have PlayStation running through their veins. Be passionate about PlayStation. However, our forums should be a place that fans of all platforms should be able to visit and feel welcome.

The CM should promote our front page content within the community and liaise with Content Staff and GM regularly.

The CM should be a link between the community and the content team, telling them what topics are hot in the community and spotting trends that may be to the site’s benefit.

The CM will need to send out a regular newsletter to the community (we can teach you how to do this).

The CM should make new members feel at home, create topics for discussion, ensure that discussions stay on topic and discourage negativity.

The CM should remain professional at all times. You’re not only the voice of the community, but the voice of the PSU brand.

The CM should organise the moderating team, including the promotion and demotion of SMCs.

The CM should organise forum policies and rules.

The CM should respond to members concerns. Major issues should be flagged up to the GM.

The CM should think of new ideas to invigorate the community and engage them.

The CM should hire a team of admin staff, moderators and SMCs and communicate with them regularly with the sub-forums. The CM needs to have organisational and motivational skills to get his team working smoothly and efficiently. The forum staff should meet once a month on Skype or alternative to discuss plans and concerns.

The CM needs to be a great listener and respond to the concerns of his team and the community.

The CM will need to understand and get to grips with forum management. There is a technical side to being the CM which is going to involve understanding the Mod CP and Admin CP in Vbulletin. It’s critical that you have the knowledge or necessary skills to be able to make changes to the forums, change user privileges and other stuff. You will be asked by the GM to carry out certain tasks on the forums that require a knowledge of how to navigate these areas and apply these tasks. There are Vbulletin manuals on the web for those who do not have any experience. I’d urge you to run your eye over them before even considering this position.
    NOTE – This is a paid role. I’ll give you more details when you apply.

We’re also not ruling out two people applying who feel they could work together on this role – perhaps one is good at administration and rule creating / follow through and forum staff management and the other is someone who can come up with new and engaging ideas within the community, create the newsletter, engage and welcome people etc…This would mean that pay is split. If you and another person wants to apply please send a joint application to me. There’s no reason why we can’t spit these duties up and have two different titles.

To apply for the role you need to email steven.williamson@psu.com with the Subject Header “Community Manager Role Application”. Within the mail, please tell me your full name and your forum name and link to your profile. Then, tell me why you think you’d make a good community manager. What can you bring to the role? How are you going to foster, nurture and grow our PlayStation community?

All applications need to be submitted by the 30th June, 2013. No applications will be accepted after this date. A panel of judges handpicked from members of staff, the community and existing forum staff will decide who will step into the role of CM. The panel will be announced in due course.

The official start date for PSU’s CM will be August 1st. An announcement on the successful candidate will be made at some point in mid-July. Further details to follow.

Any questions, please PM or send me an email, though bear in mind my wife is about to have a baby so I may disappear for a week! Feel free to spew out your thoughts here, I’m all for freedom of speech and they’ll probably be no staff to censor you anyway. Get whatever you want off your chests and then let’s move on into the next-generation with vision and community spirit.

I can’t promise to answer any concerns immediately as I’m on standby as my wife is about to have a baby.
    Last edited by TwentyThree; 06-21-2013 at 22:00.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    All that just for ONE person?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    All that just for ONE person?
    It's a paid position. If Steven wants to pay someone to do more work and have a more prominent role, then I don't see the problem.

However, the controversy is that Cuguy either needs to become an Admin or he needs to be selected for this new paid position, if he's even willing to do it.

There a couple possible solutions I can think of:

-Call this new position the 'Community President' or 'Community Executive', while Cuguy would still be the 'Community Manager' and have the same abilities he has now.
    -Make Cuguy an admin, but give admins the same abilities that current community managers have.

Again, this is assuming Cuguy doesn't want the new position.

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    This role can be split if two people want to join forces. We can create two separate titles. If one person thinks they can handle this, then great.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    A paid position the entire staff was led to believe was volunteer.....

That is not a shot at Cuguy.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Solider has gone too, i will shortly follow more than likely....steven and rob know my thoughts on this -

thats my argument. why cant rob be kept on ALREADY doing what he is doing?

Why couldnt you just advertise another role to work ALONGSIDE Rob?
    Last edited by 33x; 06-21-2013 at 15:10.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

7. Likes DeviousOne likes this post
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Apparently this was the case at some point in the past and it didn't work. It just caused confusion. If there's two clearly defined roles and both parties are more than happy to work alongside each other than the case should be brought forward and it will decided by via a panel if that's the right move. Ideally, we want one person to be able to do all of this and then build a team of admin, mods and SMCs that can take the weight of his shoulders.

All I know is that whatever has been going on hasn't been working. The evidence is there. There could be a million factors for that, and one way to address it is by seeing what everyone feels they can bring to the table and then choosing the best person for the job.

If Rob is still the best person for the job then he will continue to be CM if he wishes. If you think he won't be voted in then there must something wrong. If you're so confident he's the best for the job then why are people quitting?

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    The reason it failed in the past was simple. The role wasn't split, so there was no indication of who was responsible for what. If I made a call, and the other CM didn't like it, he would override it.

We were constantly waiting on his input to make decisions.

So, things got delayed, there were inconsistencies, etc.

What you are proposing here is a direct split, with each having their duties. However, there will still be the chain of command issue. If they are on the same level, can they impact the others' decisions? Is one position higher than the other in terms of overall responsibility? That has to be fleshed out before two people share the same space.
    LMAO

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    If you're so confident he's the best for the job then why are people quitting?
    Read our reasons we left in the staff section. We all made it very clear as to why we are quitting.

1. You are blaming 1 person for PSU's problems.

2. You did not discuss any of this with your staff first.

3. This is nothing but a slap in Cuguy's face after all the hard work and dedication he has put in to this forum.

4. Nobody wants some noob to get the CM spot so they can pretend they know this forum and the members better than Cuguy.

5. You yourself does not even know your own staff or their duties. You said so yourself.

6. You have made it very clear that you do not care if your staff quits. You offered zero compromise when we started giving our opinion on the bomb you dropped on us.

7. The only people you actually talk to is your content team. You seem to know them very well....

I can continue if you like.

Rob and I discussed the forum and issues, every single day. He ALWAYS answered my questions and helped me with any reports or situations I needed help with. And I am sure I am not the only staff member that talked to him on a daily basis. So even though he may not post much on the forum, he was ALWAYS working on the forum.

Everything about the way you are wanting to replace him is wrong. Even the slight changes you made in the public announcement are not good enough.

You are wanting to put the blame on someone and hope things magically change. I gave a list of ways to help this place, I even did giveaways with my own damn money. You should have waited till the PS4 released before making any sort of changes with the CM. We all know damn well the forum will get a huge boost when the new console launches.
    Last edited by Lethal; 06-21-2013 at 15:55.

11. Likes 33x likes this post
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    The reason it failed in the past was simple. The role wasn't split, so there was no indication of who was responsible for what. If I made a call, and the other CM didn't like it, he would override it.

We were constantly waiting on his input to make decisions.

So, things got delayed, there were inconsistencies, etc.

What you are proposing here is a direct split, with each having their duties. However, there will still be the chain of command issue. If they are on the same level, can they impact the others' decisions? Is one position higher than the other in terms of overall responsibility? That has to be fleshed out before two people share the same space.
    Exactly Rob. It does need to be fleshed out.

There's already people approached me today that want to pair up and have ideas about how they would deal with things. There's no hard and fast rules here on what we could do. I want someone or a set of people to come up with an idea that they think would fit. If the panel likes and thinks those people are the best for the job then it will be carried forward. I'll stress that one person could do still do this too if they're the right type of candidate.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    jesus, people have approached you already? It shouldnt of come to this.......it shouldve been Cuguy and 1 other.......

Dont blame whoever applied already, but shame on you!!!!!....content team i bet.
    Last edited by 33x; 06-21-2013 at 15:58.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Respect to you Steven. There's clearly a core problem within the current staff that is affecting the community as a whole. In the past we had the inactivity of Seb and Rebon which made things at the time worse, so you being proactive about it is good

Best wishes to your wife and imminent baby btw

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    There is NOTHING wrong with the staff or how we function,. We cant control the money side of things, thats not what we are here to do sadly.

Cuguy has been the most active CM since before Coma left

I get Stevens thinking, but not the removal of Rob

16. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    jesus, people have approached you already? It shouldnt of come to this.......it shouldve been Cuguy and 1 other.......

Dont blame whoever applied already, but shame on you!!!!!....content team i bet.
    Actually I am very tempted to apply though with this backlash I'm not sure if I should.

Thank you itachi

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Respect to you Steven. There's clearly a core problem within the current staff that is affecting the community as a whole. In the past we had the inactivity of Seb and Rebon which made things at the time worse, so you being proactive about it is good

Best wishes to your wife and imminent baby btw
    Cuguy was never inactive. We discussed the forum everyday.......

Who wants to bet that the content team will take over both sides? And watch how all the content team will side with Steven lol.

And this is not a shot at the content team, it is very obvious you guys know Steven better than the forum staff. I bet Steven knows all your first names. I also bet he can not name any of the forum staffs names besides Rob.
    Last edited by Lethal; 06-21-2013 at 16:09.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    Actually I am very tempted to apply though with this backlash I'm not sure if I should.
    Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    That is not what I meant. I mean it's good that Steven is not inactive like Seb was

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I think we can all agree that Cuguy is the best community manager this forum has ever seen. He has kept this place afloat and made it better through creating a dedicated staff, organizing contests, making all the tough calls, etc. No one is disputing his pivotal role in getting PSU where it is today.

That being said, PSU is evolving, and so it's time to do some evaluation of where we are and who is in charge. This shouldn't be looked at as "we're kicking Cuguy out". Rather, we're giving others an opportunity to apply for it and from there, it will be determined who (or whom) is best suited for the role in the present. That very well may be Cuguy.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post

Who wants to bet that the content team will take over both sides? And watch how all the content team will side with Steven lol.
    Actually with current rules if a content team member takes the spot he would have to leave his old position as your only allowed 1 on the site.

Thank you itachi

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Actually with current rules if a content team member takes the spot he would have to leave his old position as your only allowed 1 on the site.
    Ghost had 2 spots and threw a $#@! fit when he was removed as SMC.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    I'm for this decision, well done stephen. No offense to Cuyguy he has done a job, but he is so one sided in console loyalty (xbox)

I am not the only one here to believe this, so for that reason I am glad that you made this decision. Good luck to Cuyguy in his future role on PSU.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    i'm for this if i'm CM :P

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Dont listen to me dude. Do what you want! im nobody!

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    I have been here for 8 years and during that time I was an SMC, Mod, then Admin. I saw many things, made many friends, and watched many great members and staff leave for one reason or another. Change is inevitable, it occurs everyday and I am happy with this change. The CM role should of been a paid position from the beginning, but given to someone with proper experience, and the ability to manipulate the forum in ways not given to the current staff.

Cuguy you are a nice guy, but as I said before, you were way over your head with this role, and still are. A position like this can't be awarded to a member of the forum based on activity, contribution, and so on. A proper application process should of occurred and a proper candidate should of been selected from a pool of worthy applicants. Your lack of knowledge in the area was showcased from day one, and still shows today. Not to mention your obviously favoured love for the Xbox brand. I am not saying that is a bad thing in any aspect, but on a PS brand site, it is ludicrous to have someone with so much love and passion for the Xbox brand as the main focal point of the forum!

Also, the fact staff QUIT based on a decision like this is insanity, and only further proves your immature nature as staff members. Then again staff positions have been nothing more than a popularity contest for years now, and nothing more. Gone long ago are the days of earning a position.

Bring on the flack, I am ready to go head over heels in this discussion.

8 years and counting!

27. Likes Brandon , Steve , Cyn likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I just want to make note of something ...

While it is tempting to jump on the bandwagon and have everybody start resigning in defense of Cuguy (who isn't being attacked, really), I think everyone should reserve their judgement and see how things play out. Whenever a new idea surfaces, there is generally a little bit of backlash. Again, there is a good chance that Cuguy should reclaim his title should he decide to seek it out again. I don't think anyone wants to see PSU start experiencing difficulty or to fall apart based on the announcement of a simple decision to see what's best for the site moving forward.

Wait things out. The people deciding who the next Community Manager will be care about the site equally as much as everyone here, and have proven it. The appointment isn't going to be made on a whim without looking at all the angles and possibilities.

This isn't about content vs. forum. That mindset should have died away long ago.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

29. Likes Lasombra likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by justintheman87 View Post
    Also, the fact staff QUIT based on a decision like this is insanity, and only further proves your immature nature as staff members.
    I am far from immature. I quit because I do not stand by this decision and I want no part of it. That does not make me insane or immature.

You do realize the CM is under the site owner right? And I chose to leave instead of having some random member voted in as the new CM. I will not stay when I am not happy. It would be irresponsible for me to stay.

Thread Information