Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    This is awesome news.
    I was over the moon when they announced CrossChat for Playstation4.
    Much needed for Playstation.

And the "only" thing 360 had over Playstation3. That was justified.
    It was cool just to connect straight away to my family and friends, and to be always linked in chat whenever moving from one content to another, whether Multi or Single.
    It always felt that i was always next to my mates. No just sending messages, then accept invites, then chat.
    Once in chat, always in chat (depending of).

Now Playstation4 will have it. And, not tied to sub?!..Prepare to rule the world Sony! Mwhahahahah

I'm very glad that they will be doing that. That's a very good thing.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    This is VERY smart by Sony. Basically everything is accessible to people without PS + EXCEPT for actually playing online-multiplayer parts of commercial games. F2P games and the like won't need it. So you can do perfectly well without PS+. I think the paid PS+ membership is also likely to cover access to Gaikai once they spin that up. I'm sure you'll still have to buy or rent games additionally thru Gaikai, but I'm betting that since you have PS+ you won't have to pay a $7.99 per month (or something like that) membership fee just to use the Gaikai service. Sony's still almost directly opposite of MS on this despite the DRM walkback. On XBL right now you have to pay for Gold membership just to surf the web or use the YouTube app. You still won't need PS+ in order to do that stuff on the PS4. Definitely the way to go.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

4. Likes Omar likes this post
    Veteran
    Cross game chat is nice and all, but it has its ups and downs. Say good bye to any sort of strategy in online shooters and what not now unless your squad happens to be in your private chat room which will be separate from all the people actually playing with you.

Noone on your squad will hear anything you say anymore because they'll be to buy chatting with people not even playing the same game majority of the time. Call out enemy locations, snipers etc.. n no one will hear you.
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-23-2013 at 03:39.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    It's interesting but not surprising how a lot of PlayStation fans scrunched their mouths up in accepting silence when it was noted that online gaming requires a paid subscription. Regardless this is pretty good of Sony, and it's another perk in their favor over Microsoft and the XB1. PS3-only owners may not realize how useful and fantastic CGC really was.
    Not really. Anyone who has tried Plus will always be a member; the valu of IGC is unmatched. Paying for just the ability to play on line and have XGC? $#@! off. Paying to play online and getting access to hundreds of euros of games accross three platforms? Yep!

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Quote Originally Posted by fLiPdAtwAy View Post
    Requirement for PS+ is for the online multiplayer aspect of it. There are still tons of social integration aspects of the console that they would like everyone to see and then maybe that will get them to buy into the PS+ program. Especially with all the free games that you get. You get 2-3 day one with PS4
    I see. For some reason I thought Cross-Game Chat is for when you play games online. Nevermind then. This is awesome indeed.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Good news, but I am paying for PS+ already. Wouldn't have mattered to me.
    It still matters, since now you'll be able to chat with your friends who don't have PS+, which is better for you.

Forum Guru
    Sneaky way to entice non PS+ members to join the club.

Sonata Dusk
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Not the same thing.
    I was referring specifically to the overtly anti-paying people. The ones who swore not to ever pay for this kind of stuff because it apparently defied their values as gamers and consumers.

11. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I'm over in Europe,and we have Uncharted 3,XCOM,Rayman Origins,Kingdoms of Amalur,Ico & Shadow of colossus,Demons souls and Catherine for free,and some Vita games.Its crazy to not be a subscriber to PS plus if you like games.
    Damn! The euro free games are much better than what we got! Although I'm still happy with the selection although not as good, it's still sold nonetheless. I'm looking forward to cross game chat. Me and my buddy are always chatting online. Although he might not be getting plus so I will still be able to chat with him over Mic.

Forum Overseer
    I was referring specifically to the overtly anti-paying people. The ones who swore not to ever pay for this kind of stuff because it apparently defied their values as gamers and consumers.
    I was one of them. I wouldn't ever pay for PS3 online. I'll switch over to PC first. In some ways, I would've paid for Live...but only if I was able to get online much as they did provide better overall features, more streamlined.

I also didn't realize that MS actually delivered the servers and that servers cost a lot of money to developers...didn't realize this until I saw Codemasters lose the contract to Grid's servers (which really means that they didn't wanna pay for it).

So coming up with a solution where we get dedicated servers which are barely ever given for free (only remember SOCOM giving those through Sony...note: these servers are more expensive than the ones MS gave during Live on 360) and goodies plus everyone's happy and it's good for the industry...why not? People sometimes will pay more for a new game just because the money goes straight to the developer...I see this as the same thing.

Another thing is that if for some reason, it was allowed to have free online play...then you're talking about P2P gamers and dedicated server people in one game and I don't even know how that'd work. You'd need a separate section for both...that just wouldn't work.

You either go all dedicated servers or you don't. No way to have the two set of people in one game.

I can guarantee you the games that have dozens of players online next-gen, would not be possible on P2P servers. Just too many issues that can deter the experience and I just don't think P2P servers have the capability to have more than a couple dozen people.

Dedicated servers aren't free on any platform. So this makes total sense. They likely want to keep all games with dedicated servers.

14. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Veteran
    socom had both dedicated servers and p2p. Just depended on which room you joined.

Quick matches and server hosted rooms (US East, US West, Japan etc..) were on dedicated servers and custom rooms were player hosted. Just pointing out that you can have both for a game. Just got to set it up right.
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-23-2013 at 12:46.

16. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    socom had both dedicated servers and p2p. Just depended on which room you joined.

Quick matches and server hosted rooms (US East, US West, Japan etc..) were on dedicated servers and custom rooms were player hosted. Just pointing out that you can have both for a game. Just got to set it up right.
    Correct! I remember now. However, I still think you can't go above a certain amount of players with player-hosted rooms so that would just not work with a game like the Division that has likely dozens (or more, who knows) players in a persistent world. Destiny is the same way. You can't do that on a player-hosted server/room.

Could someone confirm if MAG had player-hosted servers? Maybe MAG did it in an intelligent way because I remember them saying that they ignored player data that was far away so technically you don't have 256 players uploading and downloading data from and back to you.

Veteran
    MAG had dedicated servers

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    So did the Resistance games.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Overseer
    Well there you go, case closed.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    And if they start shutting down servers after 3 or 4 years again? P2P FTW

Sonata Dusk
    Most games have P2P and dedicated server support. It's basically the same logic.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    And if they start shutting down servers after 3 or 4 years again? P2P FTW
    Actually a lot less chances of that happening. 1) Sony will be in charge and we know they keep their servers longer than any other company out there. SOCOM servers from PS2 just went down recently. That's over 10 years of service.

2) On P2P, the developer still needs servers in order to let you host servers otherwise we wouldn't see Grid servers shut down.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    What about the MotorStorm servers? Plenty of people were still playing those games. Meanwhile Resistance Fall of Mans servers are still up despite hardly anyone on there (but there are still a few on there).

Forum Overseer
    Most games have P2P and dedicated server support. It's basically the same logic.
    However two can't exist on a massive online games. There are tons of them coming next-gen. The Crew, The Division, Drive Club, Destiny, Planet Side 2 and probably more I don't know about.

You can't play those on hosted P2P servers or rooms. They require ton load more bandwidth only possible by big super-powered servers.

What about the MotorStorm servers? Plenty of people were still playing those games. Meanwhile Resistance Fall of Mans servers are still up despite hardly anyone on there (but there are still a few on there).
    Why would they not be able to?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Well, then you're out of luck and you'll have to enjoy other games. You are 'renting' the servers, not buying them.

Elite Guru
    $#@!in loved and played the $#@! outta resistence 1. Can`t believe people are still playing it..lol. Mint.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Forum Overseer
    I did like the first one. I thought it was second to Halo 1's co-op and that's a huge compliment.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    It's interesting but not surprising how a lot of PlayStation fans scrunched their mouths up in accepting silence when it was noted that online gaming requires a paid subscription. Regardless this is pretty good of Sony, and it's another perk in their favor over Microsoft and the XB1. PS3-only owners may not realize how useful and fantastic CGC really was.
    Because unlike Microsoft, Sony makes their subscription actually worth it while keeping the basic things like Netflix and XGC free.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Thread Information