Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Xbox One family plan demo sharing service is a low blow

It appears some details have come to light about the true nature of the Xbox One family sharing plan which has no doubt been temporarily removed from view but will still be a feature of the console. According to what looks like a genuine post from a Microsoft employee, he states that Microsoft failed to convey how it worked properly, and the many interpreted what had been said the wrong way

The Xbox One family sharing plan would have only allowed the ten family members (or friends) up to 60 minutes of play time before being prompted to purchase the full game via the Marketplace. The player’s progress would be saved so that if purchased they could continue playing where they left off.

EDIT: Apparently this has been debunked.

Whilst neat, the fact that Microsoft hasn’t provided any clear details and let its audience believe something else is remarkable. Gamers automatically assumed that sharing would mean the full game where only one player could play at a time – Microsoft could have imposed time restrictions to prevent mass sharing which obviously wouldn’t have sat well with publishers.

The Xbox One family plan on paper sounds like a neat way to showcase games that maybe don’t have a Marketplace demo, but then again, with Sony offering demos for all its games, it doesn’t make sense for Microsoft to ditch one of its compounded features from the Xbox 360. Therefore, what value would the sharing plan have had, unless of course the 60 minutes play time and game saving would have been far greater time than playing a short demo.

The whole scenario is now a bit messy, but it’s possible we’ve not heard the last on the matter. It’s been suggested, that over time Microsoft will attempt to reintroduce its forward thinking ideas, but from the safety of making sure they are perfectly clear on how things work. To offer new realms alongside existing methods is surely the right way to present new policies and changes to established norms rather than the mess of introducing changes that weren’t in line with consumer expectations.

The idea of somehow being able to share digital games with friends is a neat one and in some cases could work very well – especially with more free to play models. Yet, these systems are open for abuse and thus make it tough choice to get right. It was wrong of Microsoft to not be totally clear on what their intent was with the sharing, but hopefully - if they are listening – then something in the future could be administered which is actually beneficial for everyone.
    http://cramgaming.com/xbox-one-famil...low-blow-8258/

Superior Member
    There is NO WAY devs would allow MS or Sony to give away up to 10 copies of their games.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Hindsight is great.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Elite Guru

Already been confirmed that there was no time limit
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    yea, I think Greenberg squashed that one. I hope they bring it back because I think it would be awesome.

PSN ID
    fLiPdAtwAy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    yea, I think Greenberg squashed that one. I hope they bring it back because I think it would be awesome.
    Yeah he did say something on twitter about not having a time limit.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    You talking about what Greenberg said? I don't believe that one bit. It would be dumb as **** from a business standpoint do that. Basically you would be giving away 9 copies of the game with one purchase. They are simply saying basically as a see what you did. I don't believe a word of it. He can say say what they want but that is one of the dumbest things you could do with a product.

Unless you are talking about something else.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    You talking about what Greenberg said? I don't believe that one bit. It would be dumb as **** from a business standpoint do that. Basically you would be giving away 9 copies of the game with one purchase. They are simply saying basically as a see what you did. I don't believe a word of it. He can say say what they want but that is one of the dumbest things you could do with a product.

No it doesn't. No time limit doesn't really mean you have access to the whole game. It just means you can play whatever they offer with no time limit.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    No it doesn't. No time limit doesn't really mean you have access to the whole game. It just means you can play whatever they offer with no time limit.
    So essentially a demo?

Forum Sage
    So essentially a demo?
    i don't know, i guess. I guess it would be up to the publishers. I don't see them just giving access to all games that way. They would lose money for sure.

Elite Guru

You are not giving away 9 copies of a game because only one person can have access to a game at time. Its pretty much the equilivent of borrowing a disc base game but in the cloud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    So basically, in a nutshell, we don't know **** lol.

13. Likes mynd wishes they had posted this first.
    Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    By now they should have quashed all rumours and confirmed all policies.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Yeah, they can pretty much say anything, and we can't take it more than a grain of salt at this point. Really, they could literally say now that the family share was for all 10 people could play the same game at the same time, but they had to remove it because the DRM backlash. smh

They have been a PR nightmare for gamers thus far.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    You are not giving away 9 copies of a game because only one person can have access to a game at time. Its pretty much the equilivent of borrowing a disc base game but in the cloud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    I know that it was limited to one person at a time but it didn't really make much sense. They were against disk based borrowing but they were for digital borrowing. That makes it even easier to access than giving a friend a disc to borrow. I know this was an incentive to help fight used games but I think it would have been even worse.

I mean it is seamless sharing without physically having to give the copy for the game. I could easily see the scenario of just say 3 friends buying 3 different games at one time so they are all basically getting 3 games for the price of one. I know there would be borrowing conflicts. But there are too many consumer advantages to outweigh the business advantages for it to make sense.

We all know they like to make money however they can. Allowing one person to let 10 people to play one game on their terms is not a good business move. Consumers will try their best to work out the best deal. If they can all work out something to be able to share their games back and forth easily over the net, it could mean quite a few list sales.

Also with this model you don't have to wait on your friend to finish the game unlike disc based. If you know your buddy won't be on for a while and he allows you, you can play his game in his down time.

This is awesome for the consumer but it is honestly just too good to be true. It makes sense for them to have a demo type atmosphere that the full game is tied to a time limit or many areas of the game being locked. Just like a demo. The business model doesn't make much sense from a profit stand point.

Forum Guru
    I know that it was limited to one person at a time but it didn't really make much sense. They were against disk based borrowing but they were for digital borrowing. That makes it even easier to access than giving a friend a disc to borrow. I know this was an incentive to help fight used games but I think it would have been even worse.

I mean it is seamless sharing without physically having to give the copy for the game. I could easily see the scenario of just say 3 friends buying 3 different games at one time so they are all basically getting 3 games for the price of one. I know there would be borrowing conflicts. But there are too many consumer advantages to outweigh the business advantages for it to make sense.

We all know they like to make money however they can. Allowing one person to let 10 people to play one game on their terms is not a good business move. Consumers will try their best to work out the best deal. If they can all work out something to be able to share their games back and forth easily over the net, it could mean quite a few list sales.

Also with this model you don't have to wait on your friend to finish the game unlike disc based. If you know your buddy won't be on for a while and he allows you, you can play his game in his down time.

This is awesome for the consumer but it is honestly just too good to be true. It makes sense for them to have a demo type atmosphere that the full game is tied to a time limit or many areas of the game being locked. Just like a demo. The business model doesn't make much sense from a profit stand point.
    Exactly, which is why the 60 minute limit is likely to be true, but the fact that online DRM was dropped, they don't need to tell us the truth otherwise it will be another PR disaster.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    but what ever they confirm will be called a lie if its good and/or people will say that MS will change it latter on.

better just stick with rumours that they can deny or ignore.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    What is the point? This still sound stupid to me. blah

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    SONY got in huge **** for allowing 5 game shares, as if developers would allow 10, that to me is a complete and utter lie.
    Now the PS3 only has 2, but its really ment for if your system ever dies.

PS4 has little to no competition.

21. Likes Rekmon wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    SONY got in huge **** for allowing 5 game shares, as if developers would allow 10, that to me is a complete and utter lie.
    Now the PS3 only has 2, but its really ment for if your system ever dies.
    Exactly. No way they would double that number. Although difference is multiple people could play the copy at the same time with game sharing. But still, no way in hell they would do it for 10 games. This was likely timed by hours or a couple days if you were lucky. Or having a demo type atmosphere where sections of the game are locked off. I'm sorry but I don't believe they are giving you a full game for a minute. Regardless of what MS employees say.

Forum Elder
    Exactly. No way they would double that number. Although difference is multiple people could play the copy at the same time with game sharing. But still, no way in hell they would do it for 10 games. This was likely timed by hours or a couple days if you were lucky. Or having a demo type atmosphere where sections of the game are locked off. I'm sorry but I don't believe they are giving you a full game for a minute. Regardless of what MS employees say.
    as i said above
    but what ever they confirm will be called a lie if its good and/or people will say that MS will change it latter on.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah, they can pretty much say anything, and we can't take it more than a grain of salt at this point. Really, they could literally say now that the family share was for all 10 people could play the same game at the same time, but they had to remove it because the DRM backlash. smh They have been a PR nightmare for gamers thus far.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    This applies to just about everything next gen.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    as i said above
    I'm sorry you feel there is no way that MS could be churching this up. It isn't happening anymore so they could have said the service comes with free gold bars but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't happening. So we will never know what the end result would have been. Just like people not believing Sony had no plans of DRM. I for one didn't believe for a second that they weren't discussing it or had it implemented and backed off. But we will never know. I like to keep my eyes open and not believe every single thing that a company says to make them look good.

This seemed too good too be true and IMO it was. They could be telling the truth, very possible. But from a business standpoint they gained no advantage of giving you a game for 60 bucks and allowing you to share that full game with 10 people. Most of the stuff they had in place was to benefit the company more than the consumer. I see no reason this would have been any different.

A Timed full game demo entices customers to buy the full game. That makes sense. If you think I'm just blindly hating on MS, you're sadly mistaken. I'm simply looking at what makes sense from a logical standpoint. Just because someone in the company said it wasnt true for something that will never see the light of day, doesn't automatic name it true. Can it be true? Very much so but I have a hard time believing it.

Power Member
    520 games per year if each friend buys just 1 game each per week.
    IT would be easy to find games nobody is playing.

It hink the "family plan" sounds like a reproduction teaching. Family planning, or sex ed'.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-24-2013 at 00:43.

Thread Information