Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023

The Dark Sorcerer PS4 Tech Demo Used Only 4 GB of GDDR5 RAM, 1 Million Polygons Just

DarkSorcerer-670x282.jpgRemember “Old Man Face” from the reveal conference of the PS4 that a lot of people mocked as unimpressive or irrelevant? It has since become a full fledged tech demo that impressed everyone at E3, causing many of those that mocked Quantic Dream to simply eat crow.Fact is, though, that we didn’t know very much about the technicalities behind the demo, until now.A rather noisy shakycam video from E3 by Youtube user TheAireaidLord shows (between other things) Quantic Dream QA Manager Gavin Niebel as he explains quite a few behind-the-scenes details to the crowd watching the demo. What we learn from the explanation possibly makes it even more impressive, and gives us hopes to see even better in the future.The demo, that has absolutely no pre-rendering, post production or video inserts, represents only the first iteration of Quantic Dream’s development cycle for the PS4, and while it runs between 30 and 90 fps (the frame rate wasn’t optimized yet), it does so at native 1080p resolution, textures included.

The developer still didn’t have access to full PS4 development tools, so they had to make do with the same PS3 development pipeline used for Beyond: Two Souls “shoving in a bunch of high-fidelity assets”.
    The set alone is made of a whopping one million triangles, and the volumetric lighting is completely dynamic between “movie” conditions and “studio” conditions. It can be switched at will within a single frame. The most impressive part? It only uses four of the eight gigabytes of GDRR5 RAM under the hood of the PS4.Maurice the Goblin is made by 67,000 triangles, 40 different shaders, 150 Megabytes of texture data, and can be defined a CG-quality model despite running in real time. He has 388 different bones in his “body”.
    source

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I was just about to post this. You beat me. lol

Flaw3d Genius
    Only? 4gb of ram just for 12 mins of video is alot right?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I was just about to post this. You beat me. lol
    Cheers !

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Only? 4gb of ram just for 12 mins of video is alot right?
    You asked the exact same question regarding Killzone's demo at the February conference using 3-4 GBs. Itachi answered you then.

That's not how it works. It has nothing to do with the length of the material presented.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    You asked the exact same question regarding Killzone's demo at the February conference using 3-4 GBs. Itachi answered you then. That's not how it works. It has nothing to do with the length of the material presented.
    Yep I remember that. And it was already explained to him in that thread. lol

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    You asked the exact same question regarding Killzone's demo at the February conference using 3-4 GBs. Itachi answered you then.

That's not how it works. It has nothing to do with the length of the material presented.
    Exactly.

That's why I said what I said earlier lol.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...GB-of-RAM-FXAA

The thread was from the middle of May, breh.

You responded to Itachi's post with a like as well, why would you forget so quickly? Seems like 3 people here happened to remember.

9. Likes Leviticus likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin

Oh lol, you beat me to it =/

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Your memory is hilariously bad, is what, or perhaps it was a continued attempt at light trolling. It took me all of 3 seconds to look up a thread I had bookmarked a month ago. Now shut up, you made yourself look stupid.
    +rep

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    You guys are certainly out for blood and you're specifically rude to him for some reason?

In my perspective, he asked a question. Whether he remembers the information given to him before or not shouldn't be used to criticize him. Heck even I don't know the details in regards to hardware tech. I only partake bits and pieces that I've learned.

13. Likes BBK.. , Chille likes this post

that's pretty amazing that it was running on PS3 assets. That didn't look like Beyond at all. It looked way better. David Cage really knows how to get the tech to work. I was amazed by Heavy Rain and Beyond. More amazed about Kara as well (I still think this should be a game)

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucin View Post
    that's pretty amazing that it was running on PS3 assets. That didn't look like Beyond at all. It looked way better. David Cage really knows how to get the tech to work. I was amazed by Heavy Rain and Beyond. More amazed about Kara as well (I still think this should be a game)
    I'm amazed by that also.

Next gen is going to look more amazing once they properly tackle the ps4 power.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucin View Post
    I can see a story based around an old actor trying to make a living but is given smaller or cheaper roles compared to his prime back when he was younger. They should definitely make a story based on that same character. I like him.

Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    Can we redirect the conversation back to the topic. Discuss the the topic and take the personal discussions to private messaging, please.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I'm amazed by that also. Next gen is going to look more amazing once they properly tackle the ps4 power.
    Yep, theyre just getting started.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    "Only" 4gb.

Don't you want an actual game to go with that? 4gb is bucket load for a fixed demo like that.
    You need to add scene graphs, physics and I assume texture streaming if you were playing this for real.
    1gb steaming buffer pool minimum.

In this case it does, there is no scene graph and minimal content on screen.
    The end result is, you not going to see this sort of graphics outside of tightly controlled scenes, which is QD's forte after all, but don't be expecting this sort of quality in bigger games.
    Last edited by mynd; 06-23-2013 at 23:46.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    "Only" 4gb.

Don't you want an actual game to go with that? 4gb is bucket load for a fixed demo like that.
    You need to add scene graphs, physics and I assume texture streaming if you were playing this for real.

The end result is, you not going to see this sort of graphics outside of tightly controlled scenes, which is QD's forte after all, but don't be expecting this sort of quality in bigger games.
    Im glad somebody on here knows what their talking about.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    "Only" 4gb.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Quantic Dream's games have always matched our outdone their tech demos fidelity wise.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Quantic Dream's games have always matched our outdone their tech demos fidelity wise.
    Your not bursting any ones bubble, as I said, this is their forte, tightly controlled scenes.
    Just don't go expecting free roaming games looking like this.
    The caveats that went with their tech last gen, go with it this gen.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Like a bunch of hyenas, February lol....not all of us remember every single thing from 4 months ago. Pathetic.
    I remember the things that interests me.
    Its weird I can remember insignificant things yet when asked to do something important before I go out, I forget.
    By the time I remembered I had already forgotten.

Your not bursting any ones bubble, as I said, this is their forte, tightly controlled scenes.

Like those Myst games in the 90s? they looked so amazing back then.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-24-2013 at 00:34.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Well obviously no one's expecting a sand box game to look this good. But average PS4 games will easily look this good. And also, Infamous SS, which is an open world game, looks very close fidelity wise.

Elite Guru
    "Only" 4gb.

Exactly! I appreciate it for what they are doing with real time visuals but this is not a good example of what can be achieved in an actual game at least not yet. COnsider this more a great demonstration of the art form rather than what GTA 6 will be like.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    COnsider this more a great demonstration of the art form rather than what GTA 6 will be like.
    I'd put it this way:

Expect non-sand box PS4 games, made on a large budget, by first party companies, to look this good.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    I'd put it this way:

Expect non-sand box PS4 games, made on a large budget, by first party companies, to look this good.
    How big a Blu-ray are they packing?
    And second son is nice, but no where near the visual fidelity of that demo.

Last edited by mynd; 06-24-2013 at 01:06.

Thread Information