Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Actress Ellen Page accuses Naughty Dog of ripping off her likeness for The Last of Us

Actress Ellen Page has accused Naughty Dog of ripping off her likeness for PlayStation 3 exclusive The Last of Us.
    When The Last of Us' Ellie was revealed observers remarked that she looked similar to Inception and Juno star Page.

In May 2012 Naughty Dog announced it had redesigned her so she more closely resembled the actor that plays her: Ashley Johnson. "We went a little bit younger, and we think that we got a little bit more Ashley inside of there, which we like," game director Bruce Straley told Eurogamer at E3 2012. "And we really want to respect Ashley for the great performance that she's giving us."
    Naughty Dog has said that it's a "complete coincidence" that the studio changed the appearance of Ellie in The Last of Us after she was said to resemble Ellen Page - and before the actress was confirmed as the star of Quantic Dream's Beyond: Two Souls.

Both games are published by Sony - The Last of Us by Sony Computer Entertainment America, and Beyond by the European branch.
    "We didn't even know what was going on with that," Straley told us. "We don't know what's going on with other games."
    Straley said the suggestion that Ellie looked like Page came as a surprise to the Santa Monica developer - and not even a pleasant one. "We hear what people are saying - we didn't realise that ourselves, because we just try to push for the characters that we want. And when we see the reactions we're like, OK, we don't like that... We want our characters to stand on their own two feet."
    Still, that didn't stop Page from voicing her displeasure on Reddit over the weekend, saying: "I guess I should be flattered that they ripped off my likeness, but I am actually acting in a video game called Beyond Two Souls, so it was not appreciated."
    After Page's Reddit outburst, Naughty Dog creative director Neil Druckmann tweeted: "Ellie from The Last of Us was perfectly played by @TheVulcanSalute. No one could've done a better job. Please go follow her and retweet."
    Back in April Eurogamer asked Quantic Dream's Guillaume de Fondaumiere about Ellie and her striking resemblance to Ellen Page - the actress the French studio had signed to play Jodie Holmes in Beyond.
    "For us it wasn't too much of an issue because we knew we were working with Ellen Page," Fondaumiere said, "so it was then a problem on the side of Naughty Dog to change the model, I guess. I don't think that they were really working on the Ellen Page character; I think they had a similar intention, in the sense that they were probably also looking for a character that was both fragile and strong.
    "They probably inadvertently were inspired by Ellen Page, but indeed, they had to slightly change the model such that she wouldn't look like Ellen Page because, indeed, we have Ellen Page."
    Fondaumiere said he hadn't talked to Naughty Dog about the issue after the redesign. "No," he said, "it was something that was clarified, I would say, very early on and there was no reason to talk about it afterwards."
    We've asked Sony for comment and will update if it responds.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-24-actress-ellen-page-accuses-naughty-dog-of-ripping-off-her-likeness-for-the-last-of-us

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    PSU not good enough?

alternate link:
    http://www.psu.com/a019958/The-Last-...was-ripped-off

suffice to say, i didn't make the comparison whilst playing the game. Ellie is Ellie. ND artists created her and the voice actor gave her life. simple as that

but as i said on the front page, Ellie was VERY well received by those who played the game. Ellen Page should be flattered.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Overseer
    wait, i thought the reason why both of them looked like her was because she actually starred in both of them?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    wait, i thought the reason why both of them looked like her was because she actually starred in both of them?
    I thought so to originally. Here's my post from the similar PSU articles comments:

Originally I thought Ellie was being voiced by Ellen Page she resembled her so much and the names being so similar. Then when Beyond Two Souls was revealed I was shocked that she would be voicing 2 character simultaneously. Turns out she wasn't.

Later we discover that Ellie is being voiced by Little Chrissy from Growing pains, Ashley Johnson. She grew up nicely I might add . Then Naughty Dog redesigned Ellie. I really think they had hoped to cast Ellen Paige for the role but they were beat to the punch in all honesty, but that's me.

I still feel Ellie resembles Ellen Paige, but not nearly as much as she originally did.

before and after redesign below
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-24-2013 at 15:49.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You haven't seen any interviews or such? Ashley Johnson has been in many with Troy Baker.

OT This is kind of old news. ND responded to this about 6 months ago when people pointed out the similarity. Ellie changed since then and the release build of Ellie was unique and never thought of EP when I played.

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    Every time i watch mother play this and i see Ellie i always think Ellen Page and thought she done two video games.

Forum Overseer
    So they didn't do her out of nowhere, it seems like she was either going to be in it or was getting the contract or something...it's possible that may have been sure she was going to start in it but then once things changed, they may have tried to change it but it's going to take more money to do that so they just sort of left it.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    I doubt they planned on a big-time actor. Chemistry is important for ND, they probably don't have anyone particular in mind in their games.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Veteran
    They did change it tho Sufi. Just not drastically. They made her younger slightly alterest the shape of her face etc... Just still kinda resembles EP tho just not to the extent it did before. It looked JUST like her before. =P
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-24-2013 at 16:11.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Any chance of posting articles not in black?@op. Makes $#@! hard to read from a mobile...impossible actually unless i invert the page. I'll be $#@!ed if i am doin that just to read a ms article. Ta.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I just have to feel somewhat for Ashley Johnson in cases like these. She invested her life into creating Ellie, into becoming her, and after doing such a masterful job some people are still mistaking her for Ellen Page. I know I've never done anything on the stage of TLoU or any major budget picture, but I do go to Film School for Writing/Directing and after working with actors, and seeing how much emotional/physical energy they exert into their characters, I could imgaine them being slightly ticked off for being recognized for someone else.

Again, I know Ashley probably doesn't care that much because she did do such a great job and she will make a good chunk of cash out of this, but we're all human, and I personally can't help but think there's a little part inside of her that is somewhat annoyed by this.

12. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    There is definitely a big resemblance there. I thought it was her even when I first stated playing the game. That's how hands off i was with this game. But Johnson does an amazing voice with the character. Looking at pictures of her I can see where they tried to make her more like Johnson than before. But she definitely resembles page tremendously.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Doesn't look like her now, maybe the first images do make her look similar.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Hell, I thought it was her lol.

PSN ID
    DirtyDog1979
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    Doesn't look like her now, maybe the first images do make her look similar.
    It was VERY similar

905617_0.jpg
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=71528&dateline=137209  6780

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Even down the the hair style lol. I swear, it's her. My son and I said the same thing when first seeing her in the game.

Elite Guru
    That's it. I'm not buying Beyond: Two Souls. The character in that game looks far too much like Ellie from The Last of Us. Rip off artists!

Seriously though, similar is not the same. If Naughty Dog say Ellie was never intended to be modelled after Ellen Page, there's no reason for me to believe otherwise. Guess she's more self-centred/less down to earth than I'd have hoped.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    wait wtf? i thought she was the actress for this game?

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Forum Overseer
    Yea that looks about 100% like her and nothing like Ashley...Ashley is...for the purpose of being nice, let's just say she's a chubby $#@!.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Here's another look:

Forum Overseer
    She's one hot woman.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    The first version of Ellie definitely did resemble it. But the revised.final version is less and less (only similar but any brunette, caucasian female of that age/look can make that claim).

Surprised its blown up this big though as it was more of a throwaway comment from her Redit AMA.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Yeh i thought it was modeled after her...

Veteran
    Isn't this really old news?

Thread Information