Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87
  1. #1
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,578
    Rep Power
    101

    Xbox Ones cloud tech will make it best place to play games, says Microsoft exec

    Bring on the clouds!
    Xbox One’s cloud functionality will make it the premier place to play games in the next-generation, according to Microsoft’s director of marketing Craig Flannagan.

    Speaking with MP1st, Flannagan said of online gaming on Xbox One, “The cloud is a really important part of it. Xbox One is going to be the best place to play games and a big reason for that is that games come alive because of the cloud.
    “So, the game that you get on that first day is going to change. It’s going to be a different game. It’s going to evolve, have living worlds, worlds that change, worlds that persist. What we’re doing is we’re giving developers a palette so they can create games they wouldn’t be able to create anywhere else.”
    “From an Xbox Live standpoint, [you'll have] the ability to play your games anywhere. Anywhere you go, you can sign in and all your games are there. With game DVR and Upload Studio, [you'll have] the ability to capture your multiplayer moments, good or bad, epic wins or epic fails, edit them up, and share them out. Those are the social features of the cloud and what’s going to make games different and only available on Xbox One.”
    Flannagan’s comments echo Microsoft’s vocal backing of cloud technology for Xbox One, and just this morning we reported that Microsoft is to invest $700 million into a new cloud computing sitein Des Moines, Iowa to boost Xbox Live and Xbox One’s cloud functionality.
    Microsoft has also said that Xbox One will be over ten times as powerful as Xbox 360 thanks to cloud processing.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/24/xbox...icrosoft-exec/

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    120
    getting tired of all this cloud BS.

    no one but Microsoft is coming forward to say anything to back up the claims. more to the point they have jack $#@! to show for it! no tech demo's, no game footage...nothing.

    see, my biggest gripe with the cloud is this:
    its an arrogant presumption on Microsoft's part that this is somehow beneficial. once a year i go back to fiji and spend a couple of weeks just lazing around. average download speed in the glorious pacific isle? 50Kb/s IF you are lucky!
    HOW CAN I SINGLE PLAYER GAME AT THAT SPEED!!!? SINGLE PLAYER!! i just want to hop on and game!

    the more PR garbage i hear the more i get put off of buying it!

    the idea of cloud computing making your game "better" is simply ridiculous.

    you take gaming away and then you've got effectively what steam do....yet they aren't as pig headed as to call simple tech "Clouds". no, its just a regular old server with my info on it....

    EDIT:
    actually, i forget that steam does have a cloud and it only stores games saves like the PSN does....
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  3. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
  4. #3
    Forum Guru
    Insanehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,674
    Rep Power
    89
    “The cloud is a really important part of it. Xbox One is going to be the best place to play games and a big reason for that is that games come alive because of the cloud.


    At this point its all PR talk. They have to prove to us that "the cloud" will make a better gaming experience. So far, it sounded like dedicated server.


    “So, the game that you get on that first day is going to change. It’s going to be a different game. It’s going to evolve, have living worlds, worlds that change, worlds that persist. What we’re doing is we’re giving developers a palette so they can create games they wouldn’t be able to create anywhere else.”


    How is this any different from MMORPG?


    “From an Xbox Live standpoint, [you'll have] the ability to play your games anywhere. Anywhere you go, you can sign in and all your games are there. With game DVR and Upload Studio, [you'll have] the ability to capture your multiplayer moments, good or bad, epic wins or epic fails, edit them up, and share them out. Those are the social features of the cloud and what’s going to make games different and only available on Xbox One.”
    What are the chances of you visiting someone with an Xbone, let alone having broadband connection that allows you to download that 30GB worth of data on such a short period of time.

    It would be faster just to bring a disc, load it up, and play the game.

  5. #4
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Bring on the clouds!
    Indeed. I am pumped. Love the potential here. Not to mention, Microsoft's continued core focus on games. I am glad they keep on keep'in on.

  6. #5
    Forum Sage
    MjW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Age
    36
    Posts
    7,856
    Rep Power
    121
    Well when it does make it the best I'll get one.


    On the move with Tapatalk

    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

  7. #6
    Flaw3d Genius
    Guest
    What Turn 10 is doing with the cloud is very impressive will beat the mundane AI hands down in other racers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    the idea of cloud computing making your game "better" is simply ridiculous.
    You dont think what Turn 10 are doing will make the game better?
    Last edited by Flaw3d Genius; 06-24-2013 at 17:28.

  8. #7
    Administrator
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    6,173
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    What Turn 10 is doing with the cloud is very impressive will beat the mundane AI hands down in other racers.


    You dont think what Turn 10 are doing will make the game better?
    how does that make it better? i'd rather they actually work on their AI algorithms then hide behind some server doing work.

    i have no problem with titanfall -a multiplayer game- making use of the servers (i ain't using cloud from now on. it's $#@!ing bull$#@!). if i want to play online, i need a broadband connection. simple. the two go hand in hand. a perfect combo.

    if i want to play single player and a need a connection you can piss right the $#@! off! irrespective of the games scenario, @50Kb/s i ain't playing jack $#@! on single player whilst im on holiday!

    and Turn 10 only replace Driver ghosts for actual AI. so they aren't using it the way MS are saying it can be used.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  9. Likes PS4freak, Two4DaMoney, Zswordsman likes this post
  10. #8
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanehead View Post


    At this point its all PR talk. They have to prove to us that "the cloud" will make a better gaming experience. So far, it sounded like dedicated server.



    How is this any different from MMORPG?



    What are the chances of you visiting someone with an Xbone, let alone having broadband connection that allows you to download that 30GB worth of data on such a short period of time.

    It would be faster just to bring a disc, load it up, and play the game.
    I thought that with the drm removal you had to have the disc to play from a different xbone, otherwise couldn't you just buy a game save it on your hdd and sell it on. Without drm surely there is no way of knowing what copy you are playing. So is the library still there or is it just digital downloads that are available to play that way?

  11. #9
    Community and Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Age
    47
    Posts
    11,792
    Rep Power
    150
    If a marketing guy had to sell a piece of $#@! they would say that piece of $#@! provided "an alternative aromatic experience".

    bottom line: marketing guys don't know $#@!











  12. #10
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    If a marketing guy had to sell a piece of $#@! they would say that piece of $#@! provided "an alternative aromatic experience".

    bottom line: marketing guys don't know $#@!
    Marketing guys don't know $#@!. But MS is spending nearly a billion dollars on the Xbox One cloud infrastructure. It clearly will have an influence, and it will create an impact in some manner for the end user. I assume from dedicated servers, MMO's, improved AI, and of course everything from matchmaking, to Smart Glass, mobile device, cross platform play. Then add to that, the bandwidth being use for digital game, movie, tv downloads, live streaming events and probably Xbox's own TV shows. I think the Xbox One billion dollar cloud enhancement is more of a ALL ENTERTAINMENT device enhancement.

  13. #11
    Community and Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Age
    47
    Posts
    11,792
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Marketing guys don't know $#@!. But MS is spending nearly a billion dollars on the Xbox One cloud infrastructure. It clearly will have an influence, and it will create an impact in some manner for the end user. I assume from dedicated servers, MMO's, improved AI, and of course everything from matchmaking, to Smart Glass, mobile device, cross platform play. Then add to that, the bandwidth being use for digital game, movie, tv downloads, live streaming events and probably Xbox's own TV shows. I think the Xbox One billion dollar cloud enhancement is more of a ALL ENTERTAINMENT device enhancement.
    Not sure what impact what you listed will have on the end user when most of those things have been around long before X1 was ever conceived. Maybe one day MS will be able to say exactly what their cloud processing will do for gamers. I have doubts that they know the answer themselves, thus the slew of marketing dudes yapping about stuff they know nothing about.











  14. #12
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Not sure what impact what you listed will have on the end user when most of those things have been around long before X1 was ever conceived. Maybe one day MS will be able to say exactly what their cloud processing will do for gamers. I have doubts that they know the answer themselves, thus the slew of marketing dudes yapping about stuff they know nothing about.
    Yes, they have. But my point was, the servers will be under a higher demand for all the huge downloads and streaming services. I just figure they are trying to prevent their servers from crashing, as they were probably a little low on servers for the demand.

    A billion dollars does a lot. My guess is we will never really know what it will all entail.

  15. #13
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,742
    Rep Power
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Not sure what impact what you listed will have on the end user when most of those things have been around long before X1 was ever conceived. Maybe one day MS will be able to say exactly what their cloud processing will do for gamers. I have doubts that they know the answer themselves, thus the slew of marketing dudes yapping about stuff they know nothing about.
    I agree. Just alot of hot air being blown out by MS PR guys.

  16. #14
    Administrator and Visionary
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    13,774
    Rep Power
    159
    Would have been better if MS had made a more powerful console instead of having to harp on about wizard $#@! from the clouds. Local processing power FTW.

  17. #15
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,578
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Would have been better if MS had made a more powerful console instead of having to harp on about wizard $#@! from the clouds. Local processing power FTW.
    Better for whom? From what iv'e seen, xbox-one is plenty powerful enough. It's definitely not a weak console by no means and they aren't investing in it because they have too.

  18. #16
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,809
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Better for whom? From what iv'e seen, xbox-one is plenty powerful enough. It's definitely not a weak console by no means and they aren't investing in it because they have too.
    from the things i looked at on various web sites from E3, i take it that Xbox ONE is as powerful as any console available now or in the coming months.

    perhaps cloud is just a way of simplifying how the internet works, but for sure... MS are spending a lot of money on putting it to better use and while some continue with the mantra that MS have said nothing, there are one or two devs that are talking about how it will help them make better games.

    i look forward to finding out how Turn 10 can make the best driving game erm... better. and i'm liking what Respawn say they are wanting to do with Titanfall.

  19. #17
    Administrator and Visionary
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    13,774
    Rep Power
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Better for whom? From what iv'e seen, xbox-one is plenty powerful enough. It's definitely not a weak console by no means and they aren't investing in it because they have too.
    Those with no internet, those with bad internet, those who don't want meager data caps eaten up by computations that should have been done in the console itself.

  20. #18
    Flaw3d Genius
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Better for whom? From what iv'e seen, xbox-one is plenty powerful enough. It's definitely not a weak console by no means and they aren't investing in it because they have too.
    Battlefield 4 will have the answers on just how different these consoles actually are...No excuses.

  21. #19
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,578
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Those with no internet, those with bad internet, those who don't want meager data caps eaten up by computations that should have been done in the console itself.
    Computations? The cloud is optional and just gives them more flexibility. It doesn't mean the console isn't capable of those or lack the ability for computations. Having this isn't a bad thing. So far, a few devs have spoken positively about it.

  22. #20
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,809
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Computations? The cloud is optional and just gives them more flexibility. It doesn't mean the console isn't capable of those or lack the ability for computations. Having this isn't a bad thing. So far, a few devs have spoken positively about it.
    its another one of those things that have me mystified about console gaming.. MS are wanting to try something new and add to the gaming experiance and people who have never tried or intend to try... have a problem with it.

    i honestly don't get it.

  23. #21
    Wibbly Wobbly
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    30
    Posts
    13,610
    Rep Power
    156
    *opens door - sees*:
    says Microsoft exec
    *leaves*
    Be Together - Not the same.



  24. Likes Mael Duin, x_terna, Two4DaMoney likes this post
  25. #22
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,578
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    its another one of those things that have me mystified about console gaming.. MS are wanting to try something new and add to the gaming experiance and people who have never tried or intend to try... have a problem with it.

    i honestly don't get it.
    if this was anything else I probably would have doubts too, but this is about technology and MS is at heart a technology company. I think if it can be pulled off they are the one's who can do it.

  26. #23
    Ultimate Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    45
    Posts
    20,641
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    h

    if i want to play single player and a need a connection you can piss right the $#@! off! irrespective of the games scenario, @50Kb/s i ain't playing jack $#@! on single player whilst im on holiday!
    Its entirely optional, all MS is saying is..here have some dedicated servers, run what ever you want on them, and you have the ability to real-time update Xbox One console.

    How is this different to anything else?
    Its not really, but what they are saying is, here's a standard.

    Use it if you want.

    Standards pay off, big time. MS knows this.

  27. #24
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,742
    Rep Power
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Would have been better if MS had made a more powerful console instead of having to harp on about wizard $#@! from the clouds. Local processing power FTW.
    True dat.

  28. #25
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,277
    Rep Power
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    if this was anything else I probably would have doubts too, but this is about technology and MS is at heart a technology company. I think if it can be pulled off they are the one's who can do it.
    No they aren't. They are about software, and putting their software on as many devices as possible to sell. If it were any other company, I probably wouldn't have doubts about it. With Microsoft in the "forefront" so to speak, I definitely have doubts.




  29. Likes x_terna likes this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts