Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Its entirely optional, all MS is saying is..here have some dedicated servers, run what ever you want on them, and you have the ability to real-time update Xbox One console.

How is this different to anything else?
    Its not really, but what they are saying is, here's a standard.

Use it if you want.

Standards pay off, big time. MS knows this.
    you put it eloquently mynd, it's MS PR who are pissing me off with it unfortunately.

i 'get' it. i get how they want to use it, the goals, and how it could benefit us (outside of real time rendering). but here is what i don't like. you've laid it out as it should be laid out. they are giving out nothing but false hope and misinformation.

if they came out and said, "hey look, at average worldwide D/L speeds, this is what the benefit is in real time. Games that utilise the cloud for single player won't be able to run offline but game cases will be clearly marked for cloud usage" - simple, everyone understands what the tech can do, and everyone now makes the choice to beef up their internet contract to facilitate it.

instead we're getting this bull$#@! "power of the cloud", "cloud is 4x the power" PR rubbish that equates to nothing tangible. even if they run fibre optics, I WANT TO SEE IT! not just hear about how its so awesome i should buy it to witness it

for what it's worth, MS PR department is doing the opposite for me and turning me away from the console.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Overseer
    If cloud technology is optional then there's no way it would be fully utilized. They would not want to hamper the experience for those that can't access it.

Some of the Microsoft PR people have got carried away with the cloud stuff.

But if you hear the developers talk about it, it's a robust server network for them to use and a way to set up dedicated servers without a huge expense.
    This is all great for gaming, and with this set up, developers will figure out new uses for it over time.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    you put it eloquently mynd, it's MS PR who are pissing me off with it unfortunately.

i 'get' it. i get how they want to use it, the goals, and how it could benefit us (outside of real time rendering). but here is what i don't like. you've laid it out as it should be laid out. they are giving out nothing but false hope and misinformation.

if they came out and said, "hey look, at average worldwide D/L speeds, this is what the benefit is in real time. Games that utilise the cloud for single player won't be able to run offline but game cases will be clearly marked for cloud usage" - simple, everyone understands what the tech can do, and everyone now makes the choice to beef up their internet contract to facilitate it.

instead we're getting this bull$#@! "power of the cloud", "cloud is 4x the power" PR rubbish that equates to nothing tangible. even if they run fibre optics, I WANT TO SEE IT! not just hear about how its so awesome i should buy it to witness it

for what it's worth, MS PR department is doing the opposite for me and turning me away from the console.
    Oh I agree, their PR team needs a kick up the pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    If cloud technology is optional then there's no way it would be fully utilized. They would not want to hamper the experience for those that can't access it.
    A lot of games ar eonline anyway, and oehrs are goig that way, fast.

Games like The Division, are all online.
    I suspect the lines between "single player" and MMORPG's or MMOFPS to be come very very blurred this gen.

Wibbly Wobbly
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Yeah - kinda like the (no) HDD was for this gen.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    A lot of games ar eonline anyway, and oehrs are goig that way, fast.
    Games like The Division, are all online.
    I suspect the lines between "single player" and MMORPG's or MMOFPS to be come very very blurred this gen.
    I can see it happening for an online only game. Or just the online part of it taking advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Yeah - kinda like the (no) HDD was for this gen.
    I was going to add that but did not want to start another can of worms lol.

PSN ID
    fLiPdAtwAy
    Not necessarily. They would have to mark the game as online required for this title. But are developers really going to alienate a demographic who don't have a constant internet connection? Not right now probably but in 2 years when the games from this generation are starting to get more complex and internet connections are going to be definitely more prevalent then I could see this happening.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Battlefield 4 will have the answers on just how different these consoles actually are...No excuses.
    What?
    Multiplatform games will look the same on both platforms. Believe me

And how many mtiplatform games we have? I bet 99%.

So... the difference will be seen only in exclusives which.. I hope will benefit from the cloud.

1% of the exclusives

Sent from my mobile device

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    So what happens if you don't have the internet connection to run this cloud? Are you left with a gimped game? If something is only possible with cloud, I'm getting sold an inferior product because I don't have the internet to run the cloud? So if I don't have the internet to run the cloud, it won't be the better place to play?

I'm being serious here. I want to know what happens if you don't use the cloud. Has this been discussed? If so please provide a link. I don't think anyone has touched on this because they don't want to. But I could be wrong.

Forum Overseer
    It's likely that if they did use the cloud for something that can visually make the game better or that the experience is less if you don't have an internet, they will likely just use those features in games that are meant to be played online...so they either won't have an offline mode or offline mode will just not have those features.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    It's likely that if they did use the cloud for something that can visually make the game better or that the experience is less if you don't have an internet, they will likely just use those features in games that are meant to be played online...so they either won't have an offline mode or offline mode will just not have those features.
    That's what I was wondering. I figured they would mostly use it with online but that just seems like more stuff going on in the background. I would think I'd you have a slow connection it would be impossible keeping up with the game and the cloud stuff. One is going to take a hit. Just like for example, I can play COD but when I voice chat it gets lagged at times because my internet just can't keep up with the latency. It will run the game fine during these last period but the voice doesn't.

Forum Overseer
    Oh yea, you're screwed in so many ways, not just cloud, if your internet isn't able to keep up in multiplayer XD honestly i would just go down the handheld path because next-gen is going to be huge on internet features.

I like handhelds too. that'd be my other option.

Thread Information