Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

Console controllers discussion

Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    Congratulations to Xbox gamers. Regardless of why they did it, at least its done. Goes to show you that they will still make money and not miss a beat.
    Yep, and now everyone needs to ask themselves...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

2. Likes mynd , EHY893, TidalPhoenix , Foraeli likes this post
    !! Watch Your Step !!
    Items Final Fantasy VIIPlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Console controllers discussion

lol very nice, I choose 4
    Now Playing: PS4!!!!

Join us for some online LOLZ - The BnW Clan est. 2008

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post

lol. funny how the controllers for all consoles have never looked this similar in the history of gaming.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    lol. Loved the pic... Hmm, if things go right, they will ALL be mine!!!

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post

Great pic, It's a shame Sony still have not moved the analog stick to the natural position.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Great pic, It's a shame Sony still have not moved the analog stick to the natural position.
    Small issue when you think how many other things they are getting right with the controller.

Soldier 95B
    I am hoping to buy an after market again. I need my sticks proper. Hopefully there is a touchscreen on it too.

Veteran
    Sony's and Nintendo's sticks are in the "natural" position. Nature usually applies symmetry to things. It is the xbone controller that is asymmetrical(or oddball if you will).

On another note: I may pick up a Wii U down the line when the price becomes attractive enough.
    Last edited by Kauldron; 06-21-2013 at 19:22.

10. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    Sony's and Nintendo's sticks are in the "natural" position. Nature usually applies symmetry to things. It is the xbone controller that is asymmetrical(or oddball if you will).

On another note: I may pick up a Wii U down the line when the becomes attractive enough.
    Are you looking at the right picture? The Wii U pads (both of them) have the stick in the same position as Xbox pad. What the Wii U does different is put the buttons in a different position.

Veteran
    Are you looking at the right picture? The Wii U pads (both of them) have the stick in the same position as Xbox pad. What the Wii U does different is put the buttons in a different position.
    You're not understanding what I'm saying. Look at all the controllers from a symmetrical design. Xbone is the only one that has the stick asymmetrical. Understand?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I have been using the PS3 layout for so long now it is like second nature to me, so going to the Xbox layout would completely throw me off! I am surprised they don't have different versions of the controller with alternate layouts for people though, I would have figured by now game companies would offer something like that...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Forum Overseer

Probably due to costs and quality as it would be more difficult to take care of two different designs than one. Also, they'd have to then figure out how many units they need of both depending on the demand. Just more work and money and less profits and likely more inventory issues thus less sales in the end.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Probably due to costs and quality as it would be more difficult to take care of two different designs than one. Also, they'd have to then figure out how many units they need of both depending on the demand. Just more work and money and less profits and likely more inventory issues thus less sales in the end.
    Sony said they left the analog sticks at the bottom so they wouldn't obstruct your movement to the touchpad. Makes sense.

Forum Elder
    And yet Sony tried doing it MS style but found the left stick interfered with the touch pad.

So no touch pad and they would have put it in the better position.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    And yet Sony tried doing it MS style but found the left stick interfered with the touch pad.

DS4 is already in the best position.

Dedicated Member

The symmetry is rather moot since it depends on what game your playing, if you're playing a shooter where your likely to use the right thumb stick than the right face buttons, then symmetry would be better, but if you're playing a game that relies heavily on the right face buttons, then having them opposite the left thumb stick would be better.

GOOD! The Sony set up is MUCH better. To use the Xbox controller I (and my friends too) have to move the left thumb out of it's natural relaxed position. I can't play for more than a half hour without getting a cramp in my left hand and needing to stretch and flex it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Yep. 360 always felt off and uncomfortable to me. No matter how long I played it.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Forum Overseer

I don't get the big deal. It's not something that is an ongoing issue, it's just a different design, I see no difference in this and the Xbox controller. I only noticed a difference when I played a golf game a few years ago...basically I wasn't able to do a straight shot with the left analog. However, that doesn't translate into other games because I have never had a problem going straight with my character in any game.

In fact, I prefer the PS controller because it does so many other things right...that WOULD be an ongoing issue...such as not being able to rely on your d-pad, which is a must in shooters and the right-side buttons. Also I prefer the shoulder buttons more on the dual shock. I'm neutral towards triggers as I don't like them either way but they are better on the Xbox controller. Other than these minor things, I prefer the quality (i still own my original DS3 and it gets through all the abuse my 3 year old puts on it every day) and reliability of the DS way more than any other controller I've tried yet. I still have my DS1 and it works perfect...it is not loose, it is perfectly fine...literally, I could sell it with under "Like New" condition on Ebay.

Yea, go ahead and get an aftermarket product just for this silly difference lol, win the darwin award.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Sony said they left the analog sticks at the bottom so they wouldn't obstruct your movement to the touchpad. Makes sense.
    I guess that makes sense if it was an issue.

Forum Elder

Forum Overseer

bot confirmed.

Forum Elder
    You're not understanding what I'm saying. Look at all the controllers from a symmetrical design. Xbone is the only one that has the stick asymmetrical. Understand?
    a post on another forum from many months ago that explains simply for those who don't quite get rocket science.

The stick position is clearly wrong. To demonstrate, let me take everyone back to first principles by showing a PS pad before the introduction of the sticks.

Here you can see that both the buttons and the d-pad are in the above position, where they can be reached most easily. The d-pad is there because it is the only form of directional input, so why put it anywhere else but the optimal position?

Then Sony decided to up-Nintendo, who had added a stick by adding two sticks. Seems silly but in the bit-wars era that's how things worked (as it turns out it's actually pretty useful, so well done Sony, I suppose). Now, since the d-pad was already used as the main control for most PS games it still retained the original position and was not replaced with the stick, however, what has happened since then?

Well, modern games these days use the left stick as the main control 90% of the time, so keeping the d-pad in its original position no longer makes sense. That original position should now be occupied by the stick. On the right side the buttons are still used more than the stick so no change is needed. This makes perfect sense unless you have a revisionists attitude to history and want to claim that the d-pad in the original controller was in the wrong place.
    and as we all now know, Sony themselves would have moved the left stick if it were not for the touch pad.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

mehhh

I think it's perfect the way they have been in the past and are now.

Forum Elder
    mehhh

I think it's perfect the way they have been in the past and are now.
    if you think it's perfect, thats ok with me. just pointing out that it's something Sony wanted to change. so i asume from that, that they don't agree with you.

Soldier 95B

The 360 controller has been known as the best controller, much to do with the stick layout. Now take the best controller and improve it like they did with the X1 controller. WOW. Thing is going to be epic.

Thread Information