Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Does anyone here skate?

I am a noob who would like to possibly skate to work. The distance is only 1.3k with a walkpath all the way with minimal incline and decline, atleast on foot anyways.

Whats a good place to start, is skating a good idea? Is it very dangerous?

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Elder
    Me and my kid go to a skate rink on Sundays. I use inline skates (rollerblades). Its a lot of fun and good exercise for us both.

If your doing it outside stay on smooth surfaces with minimum cracks and especially rocks.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm leaning more towards a skateboard for the coolness factor.
    I'm thinking of buying a cheap $#@!ty one just to get the feel right first and see how unco I truly am.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a cheap $#@!ty one just to get the feel right first and see how unco I truly am.
    NO! NO!NO! This is the first mistake that you could ever do in skating. When I first got into skateboarding years ago, this is what turned me off. It's a good way to get hurt also. I use to see the skateboarders on TV like Tony, Bam, and my favorite, Rodney Mullen. So when I bought a cheap board I was angry because the board didn't move at all, It didn't have any pop, there heavy, and mostly you can't skate at all. They completely suck. A deck by Itself should cost 60 bucks. This is a pro deck. The axels should cost 40 or so bucks, the wheels should cost about 30 bucks, and the abecs should cost about 30 also. It should cost you about 120$ all together. Now for skating Itself, It an amazing feeling. When you do your first tick or when you land your first one, It's surreal. You get all hyped then you just progress from that. It's like a never ending cycle. You can always improve in skating. It's completely dangerous, however, It's worth It. You can easily break your leg, arm, or anything near the facial area. Skating would open of a lot of things for you. Parks, street skating, and ramps. There's so many ways to skate.
    Last edited by Silvy; 06-25-2013 at 17:43.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    My first skate board was 20 from the local toy store, it whooped all the "pro" boards for speed in down hill races.

You need lots of flat even terrain for a skateboard to work, 1 stone or 5mm lip and you go arse over tit.

Elite Member
    I thought this was my chance to brag about my figure skating skills.

Not cool bro.

(Leaves thread).
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    My first skate board was 20 from the local toy store, it whooped all the "pro" boards for speed in down hill races.

You need lots of flat even terrain for a skateboard to work, 1 stone or 5mm lip and you go arse over tit.
    Wow, damn. Thats kinda an idea killer. The board I was looking at was a $20 one, lol. I still might buy it for some cheap fun.

What about a compact scooter?
    Last edited by mickice; 06-25-2013 at 19:28.

Unbound Mercenary
    I'd suggest a penny board if you aren't doing street tricks or anything to serious.

My brother picked me up one of these a little while ago and it is a beast. Handles everything pretty good, the wheels negate any small rubble or such that you might encounter. The board itself takes a little getting used to but once you do, it is the smoothest ride you'll have.

I've taken my penny bowl riding and it does take a little bit to adjust to the speed, and maneuverability, when you get it down, it handles like a dream.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Ultimate Veteran
    Awesome, ill do some research on penny. Money really is no barrier.

Unbound Mercenary
    Awesome, ill do some research on penny. Money really is no barrier.
    The one my brother got me ran for around $109 so it is pretty pricey. But it is a very nice ride.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    When I was little I wished for a skateboard and I got one. The first time I tried, for some reason I went on a very uneven tarmac path with a bit of gravel. The results were of course painful. I have no idea what I was thinking back then but I never tried again. lol

I like longboards a lot but I doubt I'll ever try.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Unbound Mercenary

A penny board works best in parks like this, while I'm not on a penny board, it would go better then the board I'm using in the video.

I'm going slow because it was my first time to that park, so I was just taking it easy.

13. Likes MjW likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Yeah man! I was more of a street skater than ramp. I've not been skating since maybe last summer as I've not always had the time. Had a sweet concrete park built near me recently so was nice going out and skating that. My current set up is a 7.5" Enjoi board, thunder low trucks, 52mm Ricta cores and Bone super red bearings! I've also got a pintail sector 9 longboard what is fun to break out occasionally.

If you want it for commuting get a longboard instead! The fatter softer wheels, wider trucks and longer board make its much more comfortable to cruise on, you also get to go really fast on a longboard! Much faster than a skateboard and it's a lot less pushing because of the fatter wheels!

BBK. Tapatalking.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    I skate and have been for quite sometime. I wouldn't recommend a penny board to anyone let alone a beginner. Just get a decent sized cruiser, go to your local shop and test it out before buying. This board I use for cruising and filming

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingSpree0 View Post
    I skate and have been for quite sometime. I wouldn't recommend a penny board to anyone let alone a beginner. Just get a decent sized cruiser, go to your local shop and test it out before buying. This board I use for cruising and filming
    $#@!in slick board man.

And what you got against penny boards? If you hating, you either can't ride it, or haven't tried. Either way, I'd suggest what KillingSpree did, try them out at the shop to see which you like better.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Thanks and for what you get they're too pricey, I would see less of a problem if they were like 30$. You'd be better off just getting a blank setup with some good trucks, bearings, and wheels. I would look towards boards that are already complete too, they're usually cheaper and always ask what they have on clearance or trying to get rid of

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Not since high school.

**tries not to think how long ago that was**
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Unbound Mercenary
    Thanks and for what you get they're too pricey, I would see less of a problem if they were like 30$. You'd be better off just getting a blank setup with some good trucks, bearings, and wheels. I would look towards boards that are already complete too, they're usually cheaper and always ask what they have on clearance or trying to get rid of
    In regards to just cruising, as I was saying, a penny board is legit as $#@!. If he is going into more serious boarding, IE heavy long boarding, or bowl riding with some coping action, I'd lean more towards a board with grip tape and wider trucks. Other wise, its light, small, and rides like a dream for just cruising on a path.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Eitherway it's just too overpriced, same with a lot of the shoes, just slap a famous name and charge unjust prices that's ridicules

Unbound Mercenary
    Eitherway it's just too overpriced, same with a lot of the shoes, just slap a famous name and charge unjust prices that's ridicules
    I agree with you on the shoes. I've been using the same pair of walmart skate shoes for like 2 years now. Paid $10 for em. lol

I have a pair of kickass Nikes with have served me very well for quite a few years now too.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    i figure skate

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    I just get my shoes from Ross(surprisingly good cheap skate selection) and the outlet, I don't tend to cruise unless I'm filming, so your opinion is probably more valued lol Here's a video I made for school

24. Likes Kwes likes this post
    Forum Sage
    I've always found cheap skate shoes + fresh grip tape = $#@!ed shoes after a couple of flip tricks.

I bought a pair of Adidas Busentiz last year and they were extremely durable but after a solid day of trying nollie tre-flips i completely ruined my right shoe, had a massive rip on the front. My Supra TK Society TUF editions survived skating for a while. I find eS shoes fall apart though even though i still love them. I only ever really wore Lakai, eS and occasionally Adio's

Ultimate Veteran
    So I went board shopping, the typical box stores sold cheap and nasty boards, the ones I was looking at for $20 some already featured split trucks.
    I saw some Mambo boards for $40 that seemed like a little step up and some weird looking long boards.

I talked with a guy in a surf shop and he tried to sell me $190 boards, lol. But he did have some info which was appreciated.
    What we agreed on was bigger wheels because the tiny ones are mostly for tricks and smooth surfaces.

Not sure how this will go but this is what I got:

Blind brand skateboard $80 down to $40 with 7abec bearings and 98a wheels. Any good?

Bigger purple 7abec wheels $13 each + multi tool $10.
    Last edited by mickice; 06-27-2013 at 04:38.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I used to be extremely good. These days, not so... lol.

My fav deck was a Sal Barbier Pro, LA Kings. I had some really nice Independent trucks with some 98a mini rats.

It was nice on street and vert.

Thread Information